GUILTY UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:29JASON EVANS

'Ask yourselves who is manipulative in this case?'

The barrister says Cole has always accepted taking Logan’s body to the river and said "what I did was disgusting and I deserve what I get for that" and has not sought to directly blame anyone else, saying he did not know what happened in the flat.

Barrister: "He [Cole] said ‘The moment I moved that body that was disgusting’ but he has said time and time again ‘I did not kill Logan’."

Mr Elias says Cole has maintained that account from the prepared statement he gave police in interview right through to his evidence to the trial from the witness box.

Barrister: "Ask yourselves who is manipulative in this case? Who is not telling the truth?"

Logan Mwangi murder trial jury hears closing speeches

11:14JASON EVANS

Mr Elias QC continues

Barrister: "Could any of the defendants acting alone have inflicted those injuries?... On the evidence you have heard, is each defendant capable in their own way of inflicting the injuries? Could the assault have occured before others in the flat were able to stop it?"

Is he wanting to imply that the teen assaulted the child "before others in the flat were able to stop it?"

Maybe he wants the jury to think that either the teen or AW could have done the damage themselves, and JC had no part in it?

I don't think the jury will believe that with the way JC was so mean and cold towards the boy. JMO

his defence seems to be, jc told the truth about moving the body, so hes telling the truth. but he only blooming told the truth re moving Logan as he was caught on CCTV!!!
Yes, that and 'he has said since day one he did not murder this child, and he still says that he did not, so he must be telling the truth'

10:52JASON EVANS

David Elias QC begins his speech

Opening his speech, David Elias QC begins by telling the jury it has been a "harrowing trial", and that the death of Logan Mwangi was "truly horrific". He says his client has always accepted dumping the five-year-old boy’s body in the river - something that was "unforgivable" - and he says he recognises that means Cole will be starting at a "low point" in the minds of the jurors.

No he has not. He has admitted to putting Logan on the edge of the river bank, says he doesn't know how he ended up in the river !!

10:52JASON EVANS

David Elias QC begins his speech

Opening his speech, David Elias QC begins by telling the jury it has been a "harrowing trial", and that the death of Logan Mwangi was "truly horrific". He says his client has always accepted dumping the five-year-old boy’s body in the river - something that was "unforgivable" - and he says he recognises that means Cole will be starting at a "low point" in the minds of the jurors.

No he has not. He has admitted to putting Logan on the edge of the river bank
No he has not. He has admitted to putting Logan on the edge of the river bank, says he doesn't know how he ended up in the river !!
Sorry I should catch up before commenting. Oops
, says he doesn't know how he ended up in the river !!

maybe it's so obviously a lie he's not bothering defending it

I agree. I can't see the defence being so inaccurate on this point.

Edited to add - he has just now said - taken to the river -

hopefully there may be some other reporting which will make it clearer.

I'm backtracking on this now. I said I can't see the defence QC being so inaccurate.
But, at the same time, he can't just decide that JC was lying so he won't bother to defend the lie. He has to defend on the basis of what his client tells him ( and the court ).

So I really do hope it is clarified somewhere later, otherwise it is a strange mistake for a top professional QC to make.

No he has not. He has admitted to putting Logan on the edge of the river bank

Sorry I should catch up before commenting. Oops
, says he doesn't know how he ended up in the river !!

No you are right - the line from David Elias QC was that JC had admitted dumping Logan in the river - all we have heard from court reports is that JC admitted putting him on the river bank

12:13JASON EVANS

'Prosecution cannot say'

Mr Elias QC is taking the jurors through the medical evidence they have heard about the injuries Logan sustained, and about the “survival time“ for someone with those injuries.

He says the prosecution cannot say when the fatal injuries were sustained but Cole’s defence say “the evidence points to there being a relatively short time between the fatal attack and Logan’s death“, and that none of the medical evidence rules out Cole’s account of what happened.

12:17JASON EVANS

Logan's home life

The barrister now turns to evidence the jury has heard about Logan’s home life prior to his death, in particular from social workers and friends of the family. He asks the jury “not to fall for any twisting of the narrative" about the dynamics of the family. He says: “Be careful when the prosecution paints a picture of life in the months before Logan's death."

12:32JASON EVANS

'Consider other scenarios'

Mr Elias tells the jurors there is no evidence of the fatal assault on Logan being a "team effort" as the prosecution asserts, and he invited them to consider "other scenarios".

He says Cole did not have to give evidence but chose to do so, and during lengthy cross-examination his version of events did not change. He says Cole accepts carrying the body of Logan to the river, and accepts being involved in the "lies and deception" which followed after the police had been called but that his account of what happened has never changed - namely that he woke up to a dead child in the bedroom.

12:17JASON EVANS

Logan's home life

The barrister now turns to evidence the jury has heard about Logan’s home life prior to his death, in particular from social workers and friends of the family. He asks the jury “not to fall for any twisting of the narrative" about the dynamics of the family. He says: “Be careful when the prosecution paints a picture of life in the months before Logan's death."

So the barrister says 'do not listen to the social workers or family friends' who testified about the dynamics of Logan's little family. They could be 'twisting the narrative' so don't fall for it....Yah Right, ignore the trained social workers whose job is to assess family dynamics.

We should take John Cole's word for it instead?

J Cole told us that the teen followed him out of the house, the night he was dumping the body. And he swears he didn't even know the teen was there for quite awhile. But it does not appear to be true because the teens is walking right beside him from the start, IIRC.

I think he is trying to cover for the youth but wants to blame the murder on AW.

J Cole told us that the teen followed him out of the house, the night he was dumping the body. And he swears he didn't even know the teen was there for quite awhile. But it does not appear to be true because the teens is walking right beside him from the start, IIRC.

I think he is trying to cover for the youth but wants to blame the murder on AW.

Ideally he'd like AW to take all the blame, but if it would get him off he's also happy for the youth to be blamed.

12:49JASON EVANS

Jurors may have doubts, but Cole is not the killer - says stepdad's legal team

The barrister says Cole has never "gratuitously pointed the finger" at his co-accused, and it may be that he does not know or does not want to know exactly what happened in the flat. Mr Elias tells the jurors they may have "nagging doubts" about what happened that night and who was involved, and that those doubts may last forever.

He tells the jurors that having reviewed all the evidence in the case, the defence say they cannot be sure of Cole’s guilt and therefore the "proper verdicts" are ones of not guilty to murder and not guilty to manslaughter.

That concludes today’s hearing. The trial will resume at 10am on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member