UK - Lucy Letby - Post-Conviction Statutory Inquiry

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dr Gibbs denied telling the mother of Child I that her baby needed to have a post-mortem in order to clear the hospital of wrongdoing.

He said he “was sure the mother” thought he said that “so he was not going to argue with her”, but said he would never tell the family of a patient that they were being forced into having a post-mortem.
BBM

I thought this was a little odd when I read it yesterday and so I've checked the transcript. This reporting [by the Telegraph] is erroneous, and it bears no semblance to what Dr Gibbs said.

Pages 76 - 78. 01/10/2024 – Transcript of Week 4 Day 2 | The Thirlwall Inquiry

"Now, she also said I forced her into having a postmortem. I can understand why she felt like that. In the circumstances where a death is unexplained and you need to refer the death to the Coroner, you don't -- parental consent doesn't come into it as far as I understand and postmortem has to take place if the Coroner agrees and that's what I was trying to tell the Mother. It's -- one of the worst things as a paediatrician is those occasions when you have to deal with a parent who's just lost their baby or child and they are in utter despair and it is very difficult to talk about the child or baby having a postmortem in those circumstances. I think most parents or some parents would hate me for bringing that subject up."

Dr Lambie said she was also concerned about a “very, very unusual incident” involving another infant that happened up to a fortnight before the death of Child A.
She said: “It was something I have never experienced before or since. I was already quite anxious going into Child A and B because I had that particular unusual event.”
The incident did not feature in Letby’s criminal case but Dr Lambie had made a statement to police about the matter, the inquiry was told.

Also at the inquiry, Dr Huw Mayberry, who worked alongside Letby in 2016 as a registrar, told the inquiry he did not believe CCTV cameras would have stopped her from harming infants.

He said: "I'm not sure it would have dealt with a lot of the ways in which she killed and it may have given false reassurance that things were right."

It would be "hard to tell" from CCTV that someone was injecting air into babies' bloodstreams, he said.

BBM

I thought this was a little odd when I read it yesterday and so I've checked the transcript. This reporting [by the Telegraph] is erroneous, and it bears no semblance to what Dr Gibbs said.

Pages 76 - 78. 01/10/2024 – Transcript of Week 4 Day 2 | The Thirlwall Inquiry

"Now, she also said I forced her into having a postmortem. I can understand why she felt like that. In the circumstances where a death is unexplained and you need to refer the death to the Coroner, you don't -- parental consent doesn't come into it as far as I understand and postmortem has to take place if the Coroner agrees and that's what I was trying to tell the Mother. It's -- one of the worst things as a paediatrician is those occasions when you have to deal with a parent who's just lost their baby or child and they are in utter despair and it is very difficult to talk about the child or baby having a postmortem in those circumstances. I think most parents or some parents would hate me for bringing that subject up."
This seems to be a common theme. Most recent reports by the mainstream media of what has been said in the trial and inquiry actually bear little resemblence to what has actually been said in the trial and inquiry.

Hospital bosses had 'already made up their mind' that Lucy Letby couldn't be responsible for killing babies before any proper investigation had been carried out, a senior doctor said today.

Dr Murthy Saladi told the public inquiry managers didn't want to call in police because the Countess of Chester Hospital would end up 'in the media spotlight' and mothers would be deterred from having their babies there.

Monday 7 OctoberDr ZA – Consultant Paediatrician
Dr V – Consultant Paediatrician
Dr U – Consultant Registrar
Tuesday 8 OctoberDr McCormack – Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
Dr McGuigan – Consultant Paediatrician
Dr Jameson – Chair, Medical Staff Committee
Dr Tighe – Chair, BMA Local Negotiating Committee Chair
Wednesday 9 OctoberConsultant Clinical Scientists, Occupational Dr Milan – Consultant Clinical Scientist
Dr Bowles – Consultant Clinical Scientist
Kathryn de Beger – Occupational Health Practitioner
Inquiry Legal Team reading in/summarising of evidence from doctors who are not being called.
Thursday 10 OctoberMelanie Taylor – Registered Nurse
Ashleigh Hudson – Registered Nurse
Kathryn Percival-Calderbank – Registered Nurse
Kate Bissell – Registered Nurse
Elizabeth Marshall – Neonatal Assistant

Week 5​

Look who's up on Monday.

Monday 7 OctoberDr ZA – Consultant Paediatrician
Dr V – Consultant Paediatrician
Dr U – Consultant Registrar
Tuesday 8 OctoberDr McCormack – Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
Dr McGuigan – Consultant Paediatrician
Dr Jameson – Chair, Medical Staff Committee
Dr Tighe – Chair, BMA Local Negotiating Committee Chair
Wednesday 9 OctoberConsultant Clinical Scientists, Occupational Dr Milan – Consultant Clinical Scientist
Dr Bowles – Consultant Clinical Scientist
Kathryn de Beger – Occupational Health Practitioner
Inquiry Legal Team reading in/summarising of evidence from doctors who are not being called.
Thursday 10 OctoberMelanie Taylor – Registered Nurse
Ashleigh Hudson – Registered Nurse
Kathryn Percival-Calderbank – Registered Nurse
Kate Bissell – Registered Nurse
Elizabeth Marshall – Neonatal Assistant

Week 5​

Look who's up on Monday.
Going to be interesting.

Not my breakdown but taken from the excellent Reddit thread.
It’s a helpful reminder as this as ever is complicated to say the least.

Dr. ZA: The consultant who said that Child E's death was NEC and that a post-mortem would be unlikely to tell the parents anything more, and who assumed the blood test results for Child F were a lab error

Dr. U: Known at trial as Dr. A, the married doctor who Letby loved, and whose attention was considered a motive for her murders of 0 and P and her alleged attacks on N (he was the first to fail at intubating N) and Q

Dr. McCormack: The beloved (according to parents in this inquiry, at least) obstetrician who said in May 2016 "You are harbouring a murderer" Dr. Milan: the Liverpool clinical biologist who performed the lab test on Child F's blood

Kathryn de Beger: The occupational therapist whose name appears on Letby's scribbled notes, and who allegedly advised her to put her thoughts on paper

Melanie Taylor: Suggested by Letby to be responsible for an air embolism in Child A, witnessed Letby cotside for Child C, cared for Child E in room 1 with Lucy Letby the night before Letby murdered him, noticed Child O's decline

Ashleigh Hudson: Child I's designated nurse on the October 13-14 "seeing in the dark" incident, and the night that Letby murdered her Kathryn Percival-Calderbank: involved on the night Child D was murdered, and the nurse to whom Letby said that working in lower-acuity rooms was boring

Elizabeth Marshall: On shift for the murders of Children A, C, and D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmandaRDH
Back