UK - Lucy Letby Trial - Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The court is now looking at clinical notes and observation charts which relate to some of the babies in the case.

Letby is asked to explain how she would record information on them and what they mean.

She says the nursing notes which were made about the babies' treatment should have been discarded at the end of a shift, but were sometimes in her uniform pocket, and were taken home with her rather than being put into confidential waste.

Lucy Letby has both an iPad and computer monitor screen with her in the witness box.

She's using them to look at the evidence, such as charts and clinical notes.

She also has two lever-arch paper folders containing documentation.

The jurors have the same material.

The jury are told that there'll be a 15 minute break, and the evidence will be heard in one hour sessions.

Judge Goss says: "You've heard the defendant has a long day, and she'll be in the witness box for a long time, so there'll be appropriate breaks."

Posted at 11:5311:53

A brief summary from this morning​

Dan O’Donoghue
Reporting from court
Nurse Lucy Letby fought back tears at times as she told jurors that she had not harmed any children on a hospital's neonatal unit.
Prosecutors allege that from June 2015 to June 2016, she murdered seven babies and attacked 10 others at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
It is said she used various means to target the infants, including injections of air into their system and insulin poisoning.
The 33-year-old has denied all charges since she was first arrested in July 2018.
Over the last seven months, Manchester Crown Court has heard prosecution evidence in regards to her 17 alleged victims, but today Letby addressed the allegations from the witness box for the first time.
Lucy Letby
FacebookCopyright: Facebook
Asked if she ever harmed a child, she said: “No, that’s completely against being what a nurse is.” She explained the impact the allegations have had, saying: "Everything about me and my life, the hopes I had for the future, everything has gone.”
Asked to explain a note, found in a police search of her home, which said "I am evil, I did this", Letby said she felt at the time that she had "somehow been incompetent and had done something wrong which had affected those babies".
Letby explained that she has since been diagnosed with PTSD and is prescribed antidepressants. "There were times when I did not want to live. I thought of killing myself", she said.

Court has resumed, the jury is coming back in.
To recap, Lucy Letby's barrister Ben Myers KC is asking her questions.
Myers has now turned to ask her about the process of feeding a baby via nasogastric tube.

The trial has been running since October last year. The jury of four men and eight women has listened to six months of prosecution evidence which has covered medical and clinical information in huge detail.

Lucy Letby is now being asked about some of this kind of detail. She's currently explaining how a blood gas reading is taken from a baby in the neonatal unit. She's explaining the process.

The jury has become used to looking at observation charts, nursing notes, clinical records, graphs and grids.

The jurors have had to become acquainted with medical terminology relating to a range of different illnesses and conditions, as well as complex detail about the care and treatment of premature and poorly babies on a neonatal unit.

Letby is asked how busy it was on the Countess of Chester neonatal unit in the period of these allegations - between June 2015 and June 2016.

She answers: "It was noticeably busier than at any other time on the unit I'd been there.

"We seemed to have more babies with complex needs.

"There was no change in the staffing to cater for it."

She says a full-time worker would do 13 12-hour shifts per calendar month. Days or nights.

Ben Myers KC says: "Were you asked to do more than 13 on some months?"

Letby replies: "Yes... the shifts are usually allocated a month in advance, but they'd change regularly.

"I've been called at a lunchtime and asked if I could work that night."

Myers goes on to ask: "Would you know which baby you were going to care for in advance of a shift?"

Letby replies: "No."

Myers then asks: "Could you ask for a specific baby?"

Letby says: "Yes, for continuity of care if you were doing a run of shifts... we try to look after the same baby as much as possible."

Myers moves on to ask: "In terms of your health between June 2015 and June 2016, how was that?"

Letby replies: "Good. I didn't have any time off sick... though I did have inflammation of the optic nerve, with treatment for it in both Chester and Liverpool."

Myers continues: "The desperately sad nature of this case is that it involves babies who died... and I'm going to ask you questions about them... no insensitivity is intended.

"When there is a death on the unit, what's the impact?"

Letby replies: "It affects everyone on the unit, we're a small unit, working closely together, it affects everyone."

Myers asks: "What support is there after the death of a baby?"

Letby answers: "There's nothing formal, just the nurses between ourselves supporting each other."

Myers says: "Did you send messages to other staff after the deaths of babies?"

Letby replies: "Yes - we leaned on each other.”

Myers asks Letby: "Was there anything that you felt helped you to cope after the death of a baby?"

Letby replies: "At Liverpool Women's Hospital they encouraged you to go back into a nursery (where a baby has died) as soon as possible... because you have to carry on."

Myers then asks about what support is given to the parents of babies who have died.

Letby says: "There are guidelines but largely it's done by the nursing staff according to the parents - we're there to support them as much as we can. The 'bereavement checklist' is there to help parents make memories."

The court is shown a checklist chart for staff who are looking after newly bereaved parents. Letby's signature is on this particular document - for Baby A in the case.

The checklist includes taking photos of babies, bathing the baby, religious support or baptism, and taking a lock of hair.

Letby says it's a standardised form and other nurses would follow it too. She also says parents were given a memory box after a baby had died, to include hand/foot prints and a teddy bear.

Myers asks Letby: "Was there ever a debrief after the loss of a baby?"

Letby says: "Yes, a medical one, run by the consultant in charge on that shift. There wasn't a standard time for this, it could be held after days or weeks. It'd mainly be to see if there was anything we needed to learn from the resuscitation."

Myers then asks: "How did the personal impact feel when a baby died?"

Letby replies: "It was very upsetting, you don't forget things like that. They stay with you".

Myers asks Letby: "What was life like outside work?"

"I had quite an active social life," Letby answers.

"I used to regularly attend salsa classes, lunch with friends, holidays with friends, gym... my friends were the only support I had."

Letby is asked about a doctor who she was friendly with. We can't name him for legal reasons.

She says it was a friendship.

Myers asks: "Anything more than a friendship?"

Letby replies: "No."

"Sometimes he'd come to my house, we'd go out for coffee, or walks," Letby adds.

The doctor moved to another hospital. Letby says they stayed in touch "until it fizzled out”

Myers now asks Letby: "Do you like to message people? Text?" to which she replies: "Yes".

Myers asks if nursing staff messaged each other, and Letby says "Yes, it was very common, we'd all do it."

She is asked by Myers if that included messaging at work, to which Letby says "yes".

Myers then asks is she was the only one to do so.

"No - all staff used their phones at work. We weren't supposed to in clinical areas," Letby replies.

Myers asks Letby: "How well did you get to know parents of babies on the unit?"

Letby replies: "With some families you'd get to know them extremely well. They may be with us for months."

Letby is asked if she had friendships with parents of babies on the unit.

She says: "It was only ever professional when they were on the unit. There have been occasions where I've kept in touch with families once they've left the unit."

She says other staff have done this too, once babies are discharged. Letby is asked: "Do you stop being interested in them once they've left the unit?"

Letby answers "No". She says she used Facebook daily - "I was always on my phone" - and says she'd do Facebook searches for parents of the babies.

"I just think out of general curiosity and they've been on my mind... I've looked at other parents as well" (other than those connected to the babies in this case).

Ben Myers KC shows the court a document listing the Facebook searches which Lucy Letby made during the period of the allegations - between June 2015 and June 2016.

The document shows that it's accepted by both sides in the trial that Letby regularly used Facebook to search for:

1. Parents of children other than those on the indictment
  2. Colleagues at the hospital
  3. Social/non-work matters
Myers asks: "Was it unusual for you to search for parents?"

Letby answers: "No".

The court is then shown that on one morning, within three minutes, she searched for the mother of a child from Liverpool Women's Hospital, the mother of a baby at Chester and a doctor from Chester.

The court sees that in the month of June 2015, Letby made a total of 113 Facebook searches for parents, staff and other social things.

She says that when she searched for parents "they were just on my mind".

Myers continues his questions on Letby's Facebook searches.

"You searched for the parents of Baby D within days of her death. Is that relevant?"

Letby replies: "Yes because it was a significant event."

In August 2015, Letby made a total of 175 Facebook searches for parents, staff and colleagues. Of these there were two searches for a parent on the indictment (the mother of baby twins E and F).

The court is now breaking for lunch. The jury is leaving the room. They've been told to come back at 14:00.

Lucy Letby is back in the witness box. Her lead defence barrister Ben Myers KC is on his feet, standing across the courtroom from her. He's continuing his questions.

Continuing on from his line of questioning before lunch, Myers asks Letby about the searches she used to make on Facebook.

In September 2015 she made 209 searches for friends, colleagues, and also for the parents of babies who were on the neonatal unit.

She says: "It was just a normal pattern of behaviour. It's just what I would do."

Letby is speaking fairly quietly. She's asked to speak up.

We've just had another sketch from Elizabeth Cook, who has been drawing the scene in the courtroom.

This one shows Lucy Letby being questioned by her defence lawyer Ben Myers KC in the witness box at Manchester Crown Court.

A sketch of Letby and Myers in court
PA MediaCopyright: PA Media
You can read more about why we can only get sketches - rather than photos - from courtrooms here.

Letby is asked about a Facebook search she did for the mother of Baby I.

Myers asks: "Is there any sinister reason why you’re looking at her?"

"No it’s the same reason I looked at anyone," Letby replies. "Out of general curiosity."

Myers continues: "Were you a regular user of Facebook searches?"

Letby answers: "Yes."

The jury is then shown a document which shows that Lucy Letby conducted hundreds of Facebook searches between June 2015 - June 2016 (the period of the criminal charges) but the majority were not for the parents of babies at the neonatal unit.

The court is being shown photos of Lucy Letby's house in Chester.

A neat back garden with climbing roses. A tidy sitting room with corner sofa, a cabinet full of trinkets, a noticeboard in the kitchen covered in photos and letters.

One in child's writing says: "No. 1 Godmother Awarded to Lucy Letby".

A thank you card written to "Auntie Lucy" from her godchildren, after Christmas.

A young cousin in school uniform, a novelty card from the Hay Festival with a picture of her parents on it. A photo of nurse Letby in her work scrubs.

There's a photo of the upstairs landing of Letby's house. Photos of her young godchildren and cousin. Disney trinkets.

The court is shown a photo of her bedroom looking very tidy, with cuddly toys on the bed, including Winnie-the-Pooh and Eeyore.

The duvet cover reads "sweet dreams". The court is told it was straightened up and tidied by her dad, after she was arrested.

The court now sees a photo of the same room - Lucy Letby's bedroom - immediately after she was arrested and the police had been in. Everything is in disarray.

Letby is crying as she sees the photos of her room.

She is asked for the names of her two cats. She is crying as she replies "Tigger and Smudge".

An unmade bed with a bag and teddies on it

Letby accepts that the handwritten notes which have been shown to the court were found in her handbag at home.

She says: "It was my way of processing things I wouldn't say to anybody else."

We are now looking at images of other handwritten notes which were found in Letby's handbag.

Regarding the yellow note, Letby is asked: "It has the names of the triplets (including babies O and P). Why?"

She answers: "I was thinking of them at that time

Black ink handwritting on a yellow post it note shown to jurors in the Lucy Letby trial
Chester ConstabularyCopyright: Chester Constabulary
Myers continues: "Was the deaths of the babies something that would have an impact on you?"

"Yes," Letby replies quietly.

Still on the yellow note, and the fact she'd written about the triplet babies, Letby is asked why she had written "today is your birthday, but you aren’t here, and I’m so sorry for that". Myers asks what made her sorry.

She replies: "I think this was on their anniversary and I was thinking of them."

Myers asks Letby how hard she had to work "to look after the babies in your care".
She replies: "I only ever did my best."
Asked what it felt like being accused, Letby says: "I don’t think you can really put it into words. It was just devastating and it changed my whole life."
Next Letby's asked about a note covered in red and black writing. She's written "bastards" on it. She's asked whether she normally swore, to which she says: "That’s not language I would use."
"Why did you use it here?" Myers asks, and Letby says: "That’s how I felt about people who were accusing me."
Asked who she's referring to, she says: "Ravi Jayaram and Steve Brearey [hospital consultants]."
"Why did you think that about them?" the defence barrister asks, to which Letby says: "Because of the things they’d been saying about me".

The court is now looking through Letby's diary, full of detail about her social life, such as salsa, hen weekend, details of moving house, and also her notes of the shifts she was doing at work.

She wrote "twins resus" on 9 April 2016 - referring to two of the babies in the case.

"Why did you note the names of babies in your diary?" Myers asks.

Letby responds: "For my own reflection.”

A copy of Lucy Letby's diary

The jury is looking at a note which Lucy Letby has written, which we - the media - have not been given.

It has black handwriting on white. The writing is tightly packed over a whole sheet of A4. There's barely any spare room. The writing is laid out in all directions.

Words include "Bombay" (the name of Letby's pub quiz team), the names of her friends, and a teacher from high school she's still friends with.

On the A4 note it says: "I don’t know if I killed them. Maybe I did. Maybe this is all down to me."

Myers asks: "Why did you write something like that?"

Letby responds: "Because that’s how I was feeling at that time".

Asked why it's crossed out, Letby says: "That’s just something I’d do."

"How did it make you feel, wondering if you’d killed them?" Myers asks.

Letby says: "I hated myself."

"The allegation is that you intended to hurt these babies. Did you do anything intending to hurt anyone?" Myers asks.

"No, never," she says.

Myers asks: "How easy was it to control your thoughts?"

"It's not, they’re very random and sporadic, as they came to my mind that’s how they’d be written down," Letby replies.

Myers then says the phrase "I want to die" is written on the note. "Is that how you felt?" he asks.

Letby says "yes", and when asked why, she says: "I couldn’t see that my life would be the same again."

Myers tells the court that 257 nursing "handover" sheets were found at Lucy Letby's house after her arrest, some of which relate to children in this case.

Letby says: "I really didn't know I had that many."

She's then asked: "When did you first realise the police were involved?"

She says it was towards the end of 2016.

Asked if it then crossed her mind to shred the handover notes, Letby says it didn't.

Lucy Letby trial at Manchester Crown Court before Mr Justice Goss

Myers asks Letby whether it is easy to remember the events of seven or eight years ago.

Letby replies: "No, there are some things I do have a clear memory of, some where I remember parts, and others where I don't have any memory at all. My memory has deteriorated over time."

Myers continues to ask Letby when she was interviewed by the police had she ever experienced anything like that before?

"No," Letby answers.

Myers then says Letby was interviewed by police for a total of 21 hours - over a total of three arrests in 2018, 2019, and 2020.

The court's now hearing some final short exchanges between Letby and her defence barrister, Ben Myers KC.

Myers: "Let me ask you now, have you ever tried to kill a baby you've cared for?"

Letby: "No."

Myers: "Have you ever tried to harm a baby?"

Letby: "No, never."

Myers: "Have you ever tried to force air down a nasogastric tube?"

Myers: "Have you ever overfed a baby?"

Letby: "No, never."

Myers: "Have you ever used insulin with the intention of harming a baby?"

Myers: "Have you ever physically assaulted a baby?"

Myers: "What have you wanted to do for the babies?"

Letby: "Care for them, do my best for them. Help them."

Court has finished for the day.

There is no court for the next two days.

Lucy Letby will resume giving her evidence on Friday.

LIVE UPDATES CHESTER STANDARD LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, Friday, May 5 - defence continues

Defence Case

8:58am

The trial of Lucy Letby, who denies murdering seven babies at the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit and attempting to murder 10 more, is expected to continue today (Friday, May 5).
We will be bringing you updates throughout the day.

CHILD A

10:32am

Benjamin Myers KC is continuing to ask Lucy Letby questions today.
The focus turns to the case of Child A, born on June, 7, 2015, twin of Child B. Child A died the following day.

10:34am

Mr Myers is retelling the notes for Child A's birth. Child A, a baby boy, was born with antiphospholipid syndrome.
He died the following day.

10:36am

Mr Myers refers to nursing notes, referring to the UVC line being in the wrong position on June 8 for Child A. It was reinserted but was still in the wrong position. A long line was inserted.
Care was handed over to Lucy Letby at 8pm.

10:38am

Mr Myers refers to retrospective nursing notes written by Lucy Letby on the morning of June 9.
The notes include: 'Instructed line not to be used by registrar. [Child A] noted to be jittery, was due to have blood gas and blood sugar taken.
'At 20.20 [Child A's] hands and feets noted to be white. Centrally pale and poor perfusion. [Child A] became apnoeic. Reg in the nursery. [Child A] making nil respiratory effort...'
Child A later died.

10:42am

Lucy Letby says that, around the time of this taking place, she had moved to Ash House in June 2015.
She said she was "still in the process of moving an unpacking" at the time of Child A's events.
She says she had received a text message that morning asking her to work that night's shift.
A text message from Yvonne Griffiths from 9.21am on June 8, 2015 is shown to the court asking Lucy Letby to work that night.
Letby tells the court she was "frequently" asked to come in and cover neonatal unit shifts at short notice, saying she was very "flexible".

10:45am

Letby tells the court the first she knew she was going to be caring for Child A, in nursery room 1 was when she arrived for the handover at 7.30pm.
She recalls there was "a lot of activity" in the nursery, with Dr David Harkness doing a line procedure and nurse Melanie Taylor sorting fluids for Child A. She explained Child A had been without fluids for a few hours.

10:52am

An intensive care chart is shown for Child A - after 4pm on June 9, the 'cannula tissued' which meant Child A's fluids had stopped, the court is told.
A clinical note is shown to the court about the UVC and long line insertions.
Letby says she was told by Dr Harkness and nurse Taylor the long line was suitable for use to administer 10% glucose.
A collective handover had taken place prior to Letby arriving at the nursery, lasting about 20 minutes.
Letby tells the court when fluids are administered via a long line, one of the two nurses present has to be sterilised, and in this case that was nurse Melanie Taylor, handling the bag, cleaning the long line, attaching the bag to the long line 'port' on Child A's left arm and making sure the line was 'flushed'.
Letby was, she says, the 'dirty nurse' (ie unsterilised) for this procedure.
Letby say she turned her attention to hanging the bag on to the drip stand cotside and programming the pump.

10:55am

Letby says the "usual practice" is for the line to be flushed with sodium chloride prior to fluid administration. She says she did not observe if that took place.
The 10% dextrose solution is shown from a fluid prescription chart as beginning at 8.05pm.

10:57am

Letby says Melanie Taylor went over to a computer to start writing up notes.
Letby said she was doing some checks - on cotside equipment, suction points, emergency equipment.
She says Dr Harkness at this point was doing a procedure on twin Child B at this point.
Letby says she observed Child A to be "jittery".

10:58am

Letby says "jittery" was an abnormal finding for Child A. It was "an involuntary jerking of the limbs".
She says she remembered it was "noticeable".
Child A's monitor sounded and his "colour changed".

11:00am

Letby says the alarm sounded, but she did not know what it indicated at the time.
She says she noted Child A' "hands and feet were white".
She went over to Child A, who was not breathing, so they went to Neopuff him.
Letby and nurse Taylor disconnected the 10% dextrose, on Dr Harkness's advice.

11:02am

Referring to 'centrally pale', Letby says that refers to Child A being pale in the abdomen and torso.
Child A was apnoeic - "not breathing".
Nurse Caroline Bennion was also in nursery room 1, and had been during handover, the court hears.

11:04am

Letby says she began the 'usual procedure' of administering Neopuff to Child A.
Child A's heart stopped and a 'crash call' was put out. Letby says that is an emergency line for doctors to arrive urgently. Dr Ravi Jayaram arrived immediately and another nurse arrived shortly afterwards.
Letby says she cannot recall the resuscitation efforts, and says it was "an unexpected, huge shock", saying she had just gone through the doors and "then this was happening".

11:07am

Child A died shortly before 9pm.
Letby says she, as designated nurse, arranged hand and foot prints for Child A as part of the hospital's 'bereavement checklist' which the court heard about on Tuesday. A nursing colleague helped assist in the hand and footprints, as that was a two-staff procedure.
A baptism was offered to Child A during resuscitation, and Child A and Child B were baptised together. The court hears this was part of the practice.
Letby said she felt after Child A, the bag of fluids and the long line "should be retained". She says she labelled the bag as "at the time...we should be checking everything in relation to the line and fluids" as it could be "tested" afterwards.
She says she did not know what happened to the bag afterwards.

11:08am

Letby said, in reaction to Child A's death, she was "stunned, in complete shock...it felt like we had walked through the door into this awful situation - that was the first time I met [Child A] and [Child A's] parents".

11:11am

A nursing colleague messaged Letby on June 9, praising her for how she handled the sitation with Child A: "...You did fab."
Letby responded: "...Appreciate you saying that & Thanks for letting me do it but supporting me so well x"
Letby says the network of support among colleagues in messaging each other outside of work was "something we all did".

11:13am

Mr Myers asks why Letby searched for the mum of Child A on June 9 at 9.58am.
Letby says "it was just curiosity" that she wanted to see the people behind that "awful" event, and the parents "were on my mind".
She says it was a "pattern of behaviour" she had, as she searched the name as part of a "quick succession" of name searches in a short period of time.

11:15am

Letby says there was a debrief after Child A had died, a few days later, led by Dr Jayaram, which discussed if there was anything to learn from the event.
Letby said it was "more clinically based" rather than emotional support.
She said the event "affected her" emotionally, and denies causing Child A any deliberate harm.
Letby says, of that night: "You never forget something like that".

LIVE UPDATES CHESTER STANDARD LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, Friday, May 5 - defence continues

Defence Case

CHILD B

11:21am

Mr Myers turns to the case of Child B, Child A's twin sister.
Child B was born on June 7, 2015, weighing 1,669g. Mr Myers says Child B was born with antiphospholipid syndrome, as noted on a clinical note.
Mr Myers notes that, at birth, Child B was 'blue and floppy, poor tone, HR approx 50.'
Resuscitation efforts were required, with a series of inflation breaths. Intubation was successful after a couple of attempts, and Child B stabilised on the evening of June 7.

11:24am

Mr Myers refers to nursing notes written retrospectively on the morning June 10.
Child B had desaturated to 75% 'shortly before midnight', with Child B's CPAP prongs pushed out of nose.
'Prongs and head reposition. Took a little while and O2 to recover. HR remained stable.'
'0030. Sudden desaturation to 50%. Cyanosed in appearance. Centrally shut down, limp, apnoeic. CMV via Neopuff commenced and chest movement seen...'
'Became bradycardiac to 80s. Successfully intuinated...and HR improved quickly. 0.9% saline bolus given and colour started to improve almost as quickly as it had deteriorated. Started to breathe for self...'

11:26am

Lucy Letby says she does not have much recollection of the night shift for June 9-10, in respect of Child B.
A diagram shows Letby was in nursery room 3 for that night shift, looking after two babies. Letby says without that diagram, she would not have recalled who was doing what from that night.

11:33am

Mr Myers asks how Letby would know if a nurse needed assistance in a non-emergency situation. Letby says they would come and ask.
Letby says CPAP prongs can be dislodged "very easily" and it happened "frequently" in babies.
Before 12.30am, Letby says she believed she carried out a blood gas test on Child B, at about 12.15am.
A fluid chart is shown to the court.
She says at 10pm on June 9, lipids were administered.
A blood gas chart is shown with a reading at 12.16am, with Lucy Letby's signature initials.
She says it was "usual practice" that two nurses would be involved in the blood gas test, and she says she had no other involvement with Child B in the run-up to her deterioration.

11:35am

Letby is asked about a morphine bolus administered to Child B, as referred to in police interviews, when establishing contact with the baby.
Mr Myers says, to be clear about the timing of this morphine bolus, a prescription is shown to the court, with the 'time started' being 1.10am. The court hears this is 40 minutes after the collapse.

11:40am

Letby says she cannot recall, "with any clarity", events in the build-up to Child B's collapse.
She says she knows there was a deterioration "fairly soon" after the blood gas test.
She said both she and a nursing colleague were in nursery 1 when Child B's colour changed - "becoming quite mottled", "dark", "all over". She says the nursing colleague alerted her to the deterioration.
Letby is asked if she had seen that mottling before. Letby said it was not unusual but it was a concern, in light of Child A's death the night before.
Child A was "pale" but Child B had "purple mottling".
She says she and the nursing colleague were joined by a doctor at that point.
Letby said she was asked to get the unit camera from the manager's office to take a picture of the mottling.
She says on her return, Child B had stabilised and returned to normal colouring, and there was no mottling to photograph. She said she had the camera with her, and she had returned to the nursery "very quickly".
Letby says she believes she administered some of the prescribed drugs for Child B after the collapse.

11:42am

A blood gas test taken at 12.51am is signed by Letby. She says as it is a two-nurse procedure, the signature does not indicate whether that was also the nurse who took the initial blood sample.

11:45am

Letby says following Child B's collapse, other doctors came to the nursery room, but she cannot recall who.
She says presumably the designated nurse would have communicated with the family following the collapse.
An observation chart shows Letby took observations for child B at 1am. She says this was "not unusual" for nurses to do this, especially if the designated nurse was busy elsewhere. The court hears this could be if that designated nurse is speaking with the parents.

CHILD C

12:04pm

Mr Myers now turns to the case of Child C, a baby boy born on June 10, 2015, weighing 800g, at 30 weeks +1 day gestation.
An event happened on June 12 where Child C's stomach was distended, Mr Myers explains.
Child C collapsed after a projectile vomit. Resuscitation efforts commenced, but he died on the morning of June 14.

12:08pm

A note by nurse Sophie Ellis is shown to the court, made retrospectively after Child C died on June 14.
The note provides observations for Child C from the night shift. It adds: 'First feed of 0.5mls given at 23.00...At around 23.15, [Child C] had an apnoeic episode with prolonged brady and desat. Crash call...resuscitation commenced. Resus drugs given...care handed over to senior nurse Mel Taylor...'
Further notes written retrospectively by Sophie Ellis on June 16: 'Had 2x fleeting bradys - self-correcting not needing any intervention'. A feed was taken and bile was aspirated.

12:12pm

Nurse Melanie Taylor's notes, written retrospectively: 'Called to help as baby had brady desat, when arrived to baby, baby apnoeic, loss of colour, Neopuffed, but not able to bag, no chest movement....medical team crashed bleeped. No heart rate heard, started chest compressions...intermittent gasping, continued resus. Intubated....good chest movement and air entry, continued chest compressions. Emergency drugs administered as documented...'
Resuscitation efforts continued.
Child C was later baptised and died that morning on June 14.

12:14pm

An x-ray examination of Child C on June 12 showed 'marked gaseous distension of the stomach and proximal small bowel'.
Letby confirms, as shown from her work shift pattern displayed to the court, she was not in work that day. She worked night shifts on June 8-9, 9-10, 13-14 and 14-15.

12:16pm

Letby had messaged Yvonne Griffiths if there were any spare shifts going on June 11. The response was the unit was ok for staffing levels through the week, but may get busier at the weekend. Letby responded 'Think I need to throw myself back in on Sat x'
Asked to explain that message, Letby says she wanted to get back into the unit, looking after babies. "That was what I was taught at Liverpool Women's, after a difficult shift...to get back in and carry on".

12:20pm

Mr Myers refers to police interviews with Letby regarding Child C. Letby told police she was involved, from her memory, in resuscitation efforts. She told police she thought she did chest compressions.
Letby tells the court she has no recollection of any of the events leading up to Child C's collapse. She says it was "a normal shift" and has "no memory" of what happened until Child C's collapse, which was a "significant event".
She says she has looked after "hundreds of babies".

12:21pm

A shift rota is shown to the court, showing Letby was looking after two babies that night on June 13. She tells the court she was in nursery room 3, with Child C in room 1 that night.

12:31pm

A timeline of staff duties from the neonatal unit is shown to the court for June 13-14. Lucy Letby is recorded as carrying out observations for the two babies she was the designated nurse for in room 3, plus an entry made on a fluid balance chart for one of those two babies.
Mr Myers asks how long those would have taken.
Letby says one of those would have taken "minutes", the other procedure would have taken "a little longer".
Child C's event is listed at 11.15pm.
Letby says her duties were allocated for two babies in room 3. Among her duties, as shown on the timeline chart, are signing for medication for babies in that room between 10.08-10.21pm, making nursing notes regarding grunting for one of the babies at 10pm, and making observations.
She says she became aware of Child C at the time of his collapse, and her being called to help. Prior to that, she says she was not aware of his events, and was not in room 1.
She says she was called over by nurse Sophie Ellis and asked her to put out a crash call. Melanie Taylor was "in the nursery when I arrived [in room 1]", with Child C.
He was "apnoeic and needed respiratory support".
Another nurse was present in the nursery at the time.
Sophie Ellis put out the crash call.

12:38pm

Letby says she was involved in chest compressions as part of resuscitation efforts.
Letby is asked why she can now confirm she was in room 3 of the nursery, having not been able to remember to that in police interview. Letby says she was able to remember being in nursery room 3 after since being made aware of which babies were in room 3 that night.
Letby says she can recall alarms going off, but not standing cotside, or saying anything regarding Child C's observations to Sophie Ellis.
She says she was said to have been in room 1 based on the statement by Sophie Ellis, but she tells the court she had not been in that room prior to Child C's collapse.
She says she had been 'put' in that room 1 based on Sophie Ellis's statement. Letby tells the court she has no recollection of being there. She says she suggested explanations to police in interview of what she was doing in room 1 based on the statement, not on her independent recollection.

12:40pm

Letby says her memory of that night was: "I believe that I had been called to help [Child C following his collapse]".
She says she had assumed what police had told her in interview to be true, based on Sophie Ellis's statement.

12:45pm

Messages between Letby and colleague Jennifer Jones-Key are shown to the court, in which her colleague says: "You need a break from full on ITU. You have to let it go or it will eat you up I know not easy and will take time x"
Letby had initially messaged her about wanting to be in room 1, but a colleague had said no. Nurse Jones-Key replied she agreed with the colleague.
Letby is asked, following a disagreement between her and nurse Jones-Key at 11.05pm, whether those messages had led to her taking any action on Child C minutes later. Letby denies that was the case.
Mr Myers: "Do those messages have anything to do with [Child C]?"
Letby: "Not at all."

12:48pm

Letby says she would have been aware of Child C's family during resuscitation efforts, and that was the first time she had seen them.
Asked why she had searched for the parents on Facebook, Letby says they were on her mind.
She adds: "When you go home you don't forget about the babies you cared for."
She says, about what the parents had gone through: "It's unimaginable."

Defence Case

CHILD D

2:04pm

Mr Myers is now referring to the case of Child D, a baby girl born on June 20, 2015, weighing 3.13kg.
The mother's waters had broken several hours earlier.
Notes show Child D '12 mins age - in dad's arms - lost colour, floppy. 5 rescue breaths + 2mins IPPV. Reviewed by SHO - on arrival, good resp. effort'.
Child D 'started grunting in theatre' and the midwife was 'not happy' with Child D's colour.
Child D later stabilised and had been transferred to the neonatal unit.

2:06pm

Child D suffered three collapses on the morning of June 22, the court is told, the last of those at 3.45am. Child D later died at 4.25am.
Mr Myers refers to police interviews with Letby, in which she said she did not recall Child D.

2:21pm

The nursing rota for the night shift of June 21 is shown to the court, in which Letby was on duty in room 1, designated nurse for two babies.
Nuse Caroline Oakley was the designated nurse for Child D in room 1 that night.
Mr Myers refers to Child D's mother's statement in which she said a conversation was had with Letby at 7pm, and also saw Letby at the point Child D collapsed - "hovering around not doing much", holding a clipboard.
Letby says she does not recall the 7pm converation. She said she would not have been on duty in the clinical nurseries at that time, and would have arrived after 7pm for work, then going on to the nursery.
Swipe data for Letby is shown at the entrance to the maternity neonatal entrance doors at 7.26pm. Letby says that would be to prepare for her shift.
A text message is sent from Letby's phone at 7.15pm where she says: "Im just about to leave for a night shift so no problem. Hope all ok x". Letby says she would have been in Ash House at the time she sent the message.
Nursing notes by Kate Bissell for Child D are inputted into the system, the last of those at 7.45pm.
Observations for Child D are shown to the court, which do not have Letby's initials on them.
Letby denies she was in the nursery unit at 7pm.
Nursing notes by Caroline Oakley are now shown for Child D, written retrospectively at June 22. '0130 called to nursery by [nurse] and Letby. [Child D] had desaturated to 70s.
The notes add Child D also desaturated (to 70s) at 3am and 3.45am. For the latter 'stimulation given to no effect; bagging via Neopuff at 3.52am. SHO on unit and called to help. Dr crash called and resus commenced...'

2:22pm

Lucy Letby says she has no recollection of the first event or the build-up to it.

2:25pm

A timeline of nursing duties is shown for June 22 from midnight is shown to the court. Letby is shown as one of two nurses for an infusion at 1.25am with Caroline Oakley. Letby says she has no recollection of this event.
She says that night she would have been caring for babies on room 1 and helping other nurses, along with other miscellaneous duties.

2:30pm

A timeline shows Lucy Letby and Caroline Oakley are "checking medication for" Child D at 2.18-2.39am, and had started an infusion at 2.40am.
The order of the signatures did not have any indication on who administered the infusion, Letby tells the court.
At 2.44am, Letby and Caroline Oakley give medication to Child D.

2:33pm

Letby says she does not recall any details for the 3am entry made on a fluid chart for Child D.
An infusion for Child D is made by Letby and Caroline Oakley at 3.20am.
Mr Myers says there is nothing recorded on the timeline for Letby's involvement in respect of Child D between 3.20am-3.45am.
Letby says she has no memory of the events leading up to Child D's collapse at 3.45am.

2:35pm

Letby says she cannot recall what happened to Child D.

CHILD E

2:45pm

Mr Myers moves on to the cases of twin boys Child E and Child F.
The twins were born on July 29, 2015. Child E was born weighing 1.327kg, gestational age 29 weeks +5 days.
On the evening of August 3, Child E bled from his mouth, Mr Myers tells the court. Child E died in the early hours of August 4.
Mr Myers reads out nursing notes by Letby which include: 'prior to 21:00 feed, 16ml mucky slightly bile-stained aspirate obtained and discarded, abdo soft, not distended. SHO informed, to omit feed'.
Child E declined through the night after vomiting blood. Resus happened at 1.15am and Child E bled from the mouth.
In family communication: 'Mummy was present at start of shift attending to cares...aware that we had obtained blood from his NG tube and were starting some different medications to treat this.'

2:50pm

Mr Myers asks Letby about the nursing note, about the 16ml aspirate. The note has her signature initials.
Letby says the aspirate was obtained before the 9pm feed.
The note adds: 'At 2200 large vomit of fresh blood. 14ml fresh blood aspiate obtained from NG Tube'. Mr Myers says a 15ml aspirate is obtained on the chart, by Belinda Simcock.
Letby says the '14' is a typo on her behalf and should be 15.

2:56pm

A night shift staff diagram is shown to the court for the night of August 3-4. Letby was the designated nurse for Child E and Child F in nursery 1.
As Child E's needs increased that night, Belinda Simcock took care of Child F, Letby tells the court.
Mr Myers shows a feeding chart for August 3 for Child E.
No feed is recorded for 9pm. Letby says she had a large mucky aspirate obtained prior to then, so it was "standard practice" not to give the feed.
The aspirate was shown to Belinda Simcock "as it was an abnormal finding" and the SHO was informed. Letby says she did not know who informed them.
Letby tells the court the advice was to omit the feed.

3:00pm

At 10pm, the registrar attended, Dr David Harkness, when fresh blood was obtained from Child E.
Mr Myers asks if Letby can provide an exact time Dr Harkness arrived. Letby says she cannot. She says she is not sure if Dr Harkness was there on the unit just for Child E or whether he was there for anything in addition.
Letby says she can recall Child E and Child F's mother being on the unit that night, until about 10pm.

3:05pm

A nursing note shows 'mummy was present at start of shift attending to cares. Visited again approx 2200'.
The mother had said Child E was, when she visited, "screaming" with "fresh blood around his mouth".
Letby is asked if Child E had been screaming. She replies: "No."
"He was unsettled at some points, but not screaming."
A diagram the mother had drawn of where she said fresh blood was on Child E is shown to the court, around the mouth. Letby is asked if she can recall this when the mother visited.
She replies: "Not that I can recall, no."
Letby says she cannot recall why the mother came down specifically, but she came down with breastmilk.
Letby denies telling the mother to leave. She says that is not something that would be done.
Letby says there was "no" blood around Child E's mouth at 9pm. She says the blood was noticed on Child E at 10pm.

3:12pm

The court is shown the timeline for the night shift on August 3-4. Letby is shown administering medication for Child F at 9.13pm, with nurse Caroline Oakley also present, in room 1 - the same as Child E.
Letby is asked if Caroline Oakley observed blood on Child E's face at that point, or if it was noted. Letby replies: "No."

3:27pm

The trial is now resuming.
Mr Myers is now asked to look at her police interview in the section of Child E.

3:30pm

Police ask about 9pm, which the mother said was when she arrived at the neonatal unit, seeing Child E crying and having blood come out of his mouth.
Letby said this was not the case. She said a 'large vomit of fresh blood' is at 10pm.
She said she was not accepting the mother's statement that blood was in Child E's mouth at 9pm.

3:34pm

Letby said she could not recall what Child E was like when the mother visited, but did not accept blood was present on Child E's mouth.
Letby says she first saw blood at 10pm.

3:36pm

Letby replies: "Not that I can recall, no" and there was "no blood at that point" in response to if she had cleaned up blood from Child E's mouth at 9pm.
She says there was a large mucky aspirate obtained prior to 9pm, but it did not have blood in it.

3:41pm

Letby said she did not ignore a bleed, and nor did any of her colleagues, as there was no bleed at 9pm. She denies failing to record a bleed.
She says when there was a bleed, she escalated it to the registrar.
Letby recalls, from 10pm onwards, the 15ml fresh blood aspirate was "very concerning".
A red line around Child E's abdomen was also displaying, around the umbilical cord area. Letby says that could have been a sign of a bleed in the abdomen.

3:46pm

The note '0036 acute deterioration' is made by Letby.
She tells the court Child E was intubated, was 'actively bleeding', and continued to decline.
Becoming tearful, Letby says Child E was "bleeding from his mouth and his nose".
She says Child E's parents were present for resuscitation.
She denies Child E's deterioration was something she had wanted to happen.
Following Child E's death, Letby says teddy bears were given to Child E and Child F, and on the parents' wishes, a photo was taken of the twins.
Letby says she continued to look after Child F after the night shift.
For Child E, she said she found his death "very traumatic", having not seen that kind of sight before.

CHILD F

3:48pm

Mr Myers moves on to the case of Child F, after asking if Lucy Letby is ok to continue.
Child F was born weighing 1.434kg.

3:52pm

Mr Myers says the issue of Child F will focus on his blood sugar and insulin levels.
On August 5, from 1.55am-7pm, there were "issues" with Child F's blood glucose levels being too level.
At 5.56pm, a blood sample was taken which, when the results were returned, came back with extremely high insulin (4,657) and very low insulin c-peptide (169) levels.

3:59pm

Letby is asked to talk through blood glucose level readings taken for Child F throughout the day.
The readings are low until 9.17pm on August 5.

4:02pm

Letby was not the designated nurse for Child F on August 4-5, and was the designated nurse for a baby in room 2. Child F was also in room 2, with another nurse the designated baby.
An intensive care chart on August 1 is shown to the court, for Child F. Performing "various cares" for Child F is Lucy Letby, the court hears, as hourly observation readings are signed by her on the chart throughout the night, until 7am on August 2.

4:04pm

Letby was also providing cares for August 2-3, and part of the way through August 3-4 until Child E deteriorated, the court hears.

4:06pm

Letby is asked what she wanted to do on that August 4 night shift.
Letby: "I wanted to care for him."
Mr Myers: "Did you want to 'finish off' anything you had started anywhere else, as is alleged?"

4:08pm

Letby says her priority was to get Child F well and get him home.

4:14pm

That concludes today's evidence.
The case will resume with Lucy Letby giving further evidence in respect of Child F.
Members of the jury are reminded not to discuss the case with anyone and not to conduct any research into the case.

4:20pm

The trial will resume next Thursday, May 10. [11th]

During her second day in the witness box, Letby said: 'It felt like we walked through the door into this awful situation. That was the first time I'd met (Baby) A and his parents. It was a huge shock'.

[...]

Her barrister then asked what it felt like to be the subject of such an allegation.

She replied: 'It's awful. I wasn't even supposed to be working that night. It was such a shock to walk into that situation'.

[...]

Letby recalled that the following morning a nursing friend on the unit sent her a WhatsApp message to say: 'You did amazing. So proud of you…You did fab xxxx'.

Moments later she said she hoped the alleged killer hadn't found the compliment patronising.

Letby replied: 'It's not patronising at all. Appreciate you saying that and thanks for letting me do it but supporting me so well'. [...]

[re Facebook searches] 'To walk into the unit that morning and to have not met the parents…I wanted to see the people behind the awful event that had happened. They were on my mind'.

[...]

At one point Letby broke off while answering a question, appearing to be startled by a noise in the courtroom.

Mr Myers noticed her hesitancy and asked whether she was able to continue. “Yeah, I’m very easily distracted,” said Letby.

Her barrister asked: “Have you always been like that?”. “No,” she replied.

[...]

She also rejected the mother’s assertion that she had told her to leave the unit. “That’s not something we would do,” she told Mr Myers.

"Letby said: “When I was carrying out my equipment checks around the bedside (Child A’s) monitor sounded. That’s when we noted his colour had changed and he was apnoeic.”

[...]

Letby told the court she was asked to retrieve a camera from a manager’s office but Child B had stabilised by the time she returned.

Letby added: “And I got it very quickly.”

TWEETS https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue

Defence Case

CHILD A

Court has now resumed, Ms Letby is sat in the witness box flanked by two female dock officers - her defence lawyer Ben Myers KC has said we will now be turning to count 1 on the indictment - the alleged murder of Child A

We're revisiting Child A's clinical notes, these were first shown to the jury back in October last year when the Crown dealt with this count

Mr Myers is reading the court Ms Letby's retrospective notes, written on 9 June, about Child A's collapse and death on the evening of 8 June

Mr Myers has started by asking Ms Letby is she recalls where she was living at this time, she says she 'moved around at that time'. We're looking at her calendar from that period, she was in the process of moving home at that time - she says she was not expecting to work that day

Ms Letby tells the court that she received a text that morning asking if she could work. We're shown that message, it sates 'wondering if you can split your nights this week and work tonight and tomorrow and come off Thursday and Friday'

The message came over at 09:21am, 12 hours before the event. She agreed to work that shift, she says requests like this happened 'frequently'. She tells the court she was 'very flexible' as she 'had no commitments outside of work' and was 'very happy to help where I could'

Ms Letby was given Child A to care for when she arrived on shift at 19:30 that day, she was told on handover that she would be the boy's designated nurse

Mr Myers has just pulled up a note, written by Dr David Harkness at 19:09 that day, which stated that Child A's UVC line was due to be 'pulled back'.

Mr Myers asks Ms Letby if she was aware the line needed to be moved, she said she was told by Dr Harkness and nurse Melanie Taylor that the 'line was suitable for use' at 19:30

Ms Letby and nurse Taylor then went on to give Child A intravenous fluids. Ms Letby is currently explaining that process

Ms Letby said during this process she was the 'dirty nurse' and nurse Taylor was the 'sterile nurse' - Ms Taylor therefore handled the bag, cleaned the long line and attached the bag to the long line 'port' on Child A's left arm

Ms Letby said once the infusion had started, she had a nursing handover with nurse Taylor. Once that was done, Ms Letby said 'Mel went to the computer station to start writing her notes, I started doing my equipment checks'

Ms Letby said she recalled Dr Harkness was also in the room at this time

She said she noticed Child A to be 'jittery' when she started doing her observations. She said shortly after his alarm monitor had sounded and he had changed colour and was apnoeic

Ms Letby said she noticed Child A's 'hands and feet were white', she said they began neopuffing him and disconnected the bag (that had been positioned earlier by Dr Harkness)

Ms Letby said 'very soon after' an emergency crash call went out to the neonatal team and doctors arrived on the unit to assist with the resuscitation

Asked how she was feeling while this was going on, Ms Letby said: 'It was a huge unexpected shock, it felt like I literally just walked through the door of the shift and this was happening'

Following Child A's death, Ms Letby as the boy's designated nurse, assisted with parents and made a memory box

Ms Letby said she labelled the line and bag after the child's death as she felt it should be checked

Mr Myers again asks how she felt after the events, she said: 'Stunned, it was a complete shock for all of us…it felt like we’d walked through the door into this awful situation…it was the first time I met (Child A) and his parents…it was a huge shock'

Mr Myers asks Ms Letby if she messaged colleagues about what happened, she said yes as 'they were my support system', she said they were a 'close team and things like that you only really discuss with someone in the profession'

She tells the court that she frequently messaged colleagues and they did her as there was no formal support process in the hospital. 'colleagues were my main support', she said

Mr Myers asks Ms Letby why she searched for Child A's parents after his death. She said she 'wanted to see the people behind the awful events that had happened', she said it was 'just curiosity' and social media searches are a 'common pattern of behaviour for me'

Mr Myers puts it to Ms Letby that she is accused of killing the boy, he asks if she did 'no' she responds

Asked what it is like to have those accusations against her, she says 'it's awful, obviously that day I wasn’t even supposed to be working that night'. On Child A's death, she said you 'never forget something like that'

CHILD B

We're now turning to Child A's twin sister, Child B - who collapsed the day after Child A's death. The Crown alleges Ms Letby used the same method to attack Child B, an injection of air

Mr Myers is taking the court back over the clinical notes for Child B, first shown to the jury last year

Child B collapsed on 10 June, 28 hours after her brother's death. The court has previously heard her heart rate suddenly dropped and Ms Letby, along with other medics, went to help. A nurse who treated her has told the court she 'looked very like her brother did the night before'

Ms Letby tells Mr Myers that she doesn't 'have much recollection' of what happened with Child B. She was designated other babies on that shift

Ms Letby does recall running a blood gas for Child B at about 00:15 on 10 June. Ms Letby tells Mr Myers Child B would not have been on her own when this was done, she said another nurse, who cannot be named, would have asked her to assist - as blood samples require two nurses

Mr Myers is asking what Child B looked like upon her collapse at 00:30 on 10 June. Ms Letby recalled her looking 'mottled', she said this was 'dark' and 'purple' in colour

Asked if she looked the same as her brother, Child A, the night before she said no - Child A was 'pale and white'. She said Child B's mottling was 'general like we do see on babies'

Ms Letby said she went to get a camera, kept on the unit, to take a picture of Child B's skin change - which is standard practice with any sudden changes. She said by the time she returned Child B 'had stabilised and her colour had returned to normal'

Defence Case

CHILD C

Court is resuming with Child C, a baby boy who was born prematurely, weighing 800 grams, at the Countess of Chester Hospital on June 10 2015. Ms Letby is accused of murdering the boy by inserting air into his stomach via a nasogastric tube.

Mr Myers is again taking the court through Child C's clinical notes, these have previously been shown to the jury during the prosecution's evidence

Mr Myers pulls up Ms Letby's shift patterns, she had June 10, 11, 12 off - this was after the death and near death of Child A and Child B. She was due back in on June 13

In a message to her line manager she said she needed to 'throw herself back in' on June 13 - which would be her first shift after the twins. Asked what she meant by this, she said 'I wanted to get back onto the unit, looking after babies'

Ms Letby says this is what she was taught on placement at Liverpool Women's Hospital, that the 'way to overcome' a difficult shift 'is to go straight back into that environment and carry on'

Ms Letby says she has 'very little independent memory' of Child C's collapse - she was the designated nurse for other babies on the unit

Ms Letby said she was busy with the two babies allocated to her in nursery three on the night of 13 June. Mr Myers is taking the court over obs charts notes that Ms Letby was making for her two designated babies that evening

Slight pause. Mr Myers tells Ms Letby this section won't go on for too much longer. Mr Myers says Ms Letby gets easily distracted, this is partly due to her PTSD - he asks if this has always been the case, 'no' she says

We're continuing. Ms Letby is explaining that she was called by nurse Mel Taylor to assist with Child C who apnoeic - she tells the court that she helped take part in resuscitation

Mr Myers is putting to Ms Letby what she said in her police interviews about Child C's collapse. Mr Myers is outlining what nurse Sophie Ellis, the nurse caring for Child C, told police

Ms Ellis said she went briefly to the nurses' station and whilst there she heard Child C's monitor sound an alarm. When she re-entered nursery one, Ms Letby was already standing next to the cot and told her: "He's just dropped his heart rate and saturations."

Ms Letby says she does not recall saying that or recall when she entered nursery one

Mr Myers asks her if in her police interview, officers told her what another nurse had said about that night - that she and Ms Letby were attending to another baby when they were both asked to assist with Child C. She said no

Ms Letby said her recollection was that she 'had been called to help' - as the other nurse, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had also told police

Mr Myers is asking Ms Letby about text messages she sent to a colleague that evening. Ms Letby text: “I just keep thinking about Mon(day). Feel like I need to be in 1 to overcome it but (nurse) said no x."

Her colleague, Jennifer Jones-Key responded : “You need a full-on break from ICU. You have to let it go or it will eat you up.”

Ms Letby responded : “I just feel I need to be in 1 to get the image out of my head. To be in 3 is eating me up. All I can see is him in 1. It probably sounds odd but it’s how I feel.” Her colleague replied: “It sounds very odd and I would be complete opposite.”

Ms Letby responded: “Well that’s how I feel … You don’t expect people to understand but I know how I feel and how I have dealt with it before. “I voiced that so can’t do any more but people should respect that.”

In her police interviews Ms Letby said she was 'frustrated' by the exchange. The Crown say six minutes after the messages she attacked Child C - Mr Myers asks if anything in those messages made her want to attack a baby, 'no not at all' she said

Asked why she carried out Facebook searches for Child C's parents after his death. She said they were 'very much' on her mind, she added 'you go home from work, you don't forget the babies you've cared for and what's happened'

Asked how the loss would impact Child C's parents, she said 'it's unimaginable'

CHILD D

We're back, we're now moving to Child D - the infant is alleged to be the third baby murdered by the Ms Letby in a two-week period in June 2015. Jurors have heard Child D was born more than 60 hours after her mother’s waters broke on June 20

Child D's mother has previously told the court that her daughter looked "lifeless" when she was born and she had been concerned about her getting an infection, but antibiotics were not given.

The prosecution accepted the failure to give antibiotics was a "legitimate target of criticism", but Child D had been "responding well to treatment and was not expected to deteriorate".

The court has heard that on 21 and 22 June, Child D collapsed several times and despite resuscitation attempts, she was pronounced dead.

Ms Letby was caring for two other babies in nursery one on the night of 21 June. Mr Myers is putting to Ms Letby that Child D's mother had seen Ms Letby in nursery one 'hovering' with a clipboard at around 1900

Ms Letby tells the court she would not be on the unit at that time. We're looking at door swipe data which shows Ms Letby came through the entrance door at 19:26 that evening

Mr Myers has pulled up a Facebook message, Ms Letby sent to her then housemate at 19:15, she said 'I’m just about to leave for a night shift'. Ms Letby agrees that she was in staff accommodation at Ash House at that time, not on the unit

Mr Myers is reading notes, written in retrospect, about Child D's collapse and death in the early hours of June 22. The baby girl suffered three collapses, with resuscitation unsuccessful on the final occasion

Mr Myers asks Ms Letby if she has any memory of being called to assist with Child D at 01:30 that morning - she says no

Mr Myers asks Ms Letby what she would have been doing on nursery one that evening, she says 'caring for babies I was allocated to, helping anyone that needed assistance on the unit with medications'. She said she would also be checking equipment

Ms Letby says she cannot recall any further information about Child D or her collapses

Defence Case

CHILD E

We're now moving to Child E and F, twin boys. Child E was born prematurely in late July 2015 and initially needed breathing support, but later stabilised. The court has heard that on 3 August, his mother heard him crying and found him with "blood coming out of his mouth".

Child E and F's mother told the jury she recalled Ms Letby was standing at a nearby work station on the unit. Child E later deteriorated and despite medical efforts, later died on 4 August.

The Crown say Ms Letby murdered Child E by administering a fatal amount of air into the bloodstream.

Mr Myers is taking the court back over the clinical notes for Child E - Ms Letby was the boy's designated nurse

Ms Letby tells the court that there was a 'mucky' aspirate taken from Child E at around 21:00. Ms Letby escalated the 'abnormal' find to her colleague, Band 6 nurse Belinda Simcock. They called a doctor, who advised over the phone that Child E's next feed should not be given

At 10pm, the registrar attended, Dr David Harkness, when fresh blood was obtained from Child E

Mr Myers is now asking Ms Letby about her recollection of Child E ['s mother] visiting the unit that evening. Child E's mother previously told the court that she could hear her son's 'horrendous' screams and saw blood around his mouth when she walked in on the nurse alone with her

Ms Letby tells the court, that from her recollection, Child E was not screaming - she said he was 'unsettled' at points and she also said he did not have blood around his mouth, as has been said

We're back and continuing to look at Child E. Mr Myers is reading what Ms Letby said in relation to the baby in her police interview

In her interview, the police officer puts to Ms Letby the statement of Child E's mother - who said she arrived on the unit to the baby screaming and blood around his mouth. In that interview Ms Letby did not accept he was screaming or had blood around his mouth

Mr Myers is continuing to take Ms Letby back over her police interview in relation to Child E. In that interview, the officer put it to Ms Letby that the baby's mother had said Ms Letby had told her the bleeding had been caused by a feeding tube

Ms Letby says there 'wasn't blood at that point' in Child E's mouth (blood is recorded at 2200)

Mr Myers asks her if she ignored a bleed, she says 'no I didn’t'. She also agrees with Mr Myers that no other staff members raised concerns about a bleed

Mr Myers asks her if there was a bleed at 2100, 'no'. He asks if she failed to record a bleed, 'no'. He asks if she ignored a bleed, 'no'.

Ms Letby has started to cry as she recalls Child E's fatal collapse - she recalls how he was 'bleeding from his mouth and nose'

The court has previously heard that Child E lost around 25% his blood volume that night

Ms Letby said she found it 'very traumatic, I've never seen a baby bleed in that way before'

Mr Myers asks Ms Letby if this was 'something you wanted to happen', she said 'no'. He asks if she did something to make this happen, 'no' she says through tears

CHILD F

We're now turning to Child F, Child E's twin brother. It is the Crown’s case that Ms Letby attempted to murder the infant by intentionally administering insulin shortly after midnight on August 4 2015.

Jurors have previously heard that Child F’s heart rate surged and his blood glucose levels dropped dangerously low after he received a new intravenous feed including nutrients and sugar.

Mr Myers asks if Ms Letby knows why Child F had high insulin readings that night, she said 'no'. Asked if she had anything to do with Child F being given insulin he wasn't meant to receive, she said 'no'

Mr Myers is taking Ms Letby through her notes for Child F on 8 August and 9 August - when she was again his designated nurse. (the alleged attack happened on August 5)

Mr Myers asks on these subsequent days what she wanted for Child F, 'I wanted him to be well' she says. He asks if she wanted to care for him, 'yes'. He asks if she did anything to hurt Child F 'no'. She says she 'wanted him to be well enough to go home'

We're now breaking off for the day, not back until next Thursday (May 11). Wrap of today's evidence here

The Trial of Lucy Letby: Episode 32, The Denials​

In this episode Caroline and Liz explain what Lucy Letby had to say on the second day of her defence case.

We examine the specific allegations relating to the first six babies in the trial - babies A to F - and how she said it was ‘awful’ being accused of murdering children in her care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking
Back