Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, if NB might be found in any house in the village or the surrounding land and buildings, she could equally be anywhere in the uk.
True.
Lot of those vehicles who passed through might have been headed onto or off M6 and then who knows where

Also hadn't thought about needing forensics. How many houses are there just in St Michaels ? A few hundred if the population is 682. Not feasible & couldn't justify cost on zero evidence.

edited to add
I hope Paul has some sensible people around him to advise him or he might just get even more frustrated. If the family don't believe the police, maybe an outsider?

Last edited:
I'm not really understanding why there's this argument between the 10 minute window and now it's suddenly changed to 1-2 hours? Nicola was sighted at 9:10am then her phone was apparently at the bench at 9:20am (police must be sure of this). 10 mins later and the call has ended that she was on and she hasn't disconnected. So at most surely it's a 20 minute window? Sure the witness got there at 9:33am ish, but at that point Nicola was gone anyway... so the fact Paul wasn't notified until 10:50am (ish again) doesn't really make any difference?

People may have seen less police activity in the last day or two than previously around the river above the weir at St Michael’s but that is not because we have stepped down our searches, it is because the focus of the search has moved further downstream into the area of the river which becomes tidal and then out towards the coast.

Bulley search

Throughout this investigation we have been keeping an open mind about what might have happened to Nicola, and we continue to look at all the potential scenarios to eliminate them. We are reviewing our decisions regularly.

Based on all the work we have done up to now our belief remains that Nicola may have fallen into the river for some reason, but we are continuing to investigate all possible leads, and this involves viewing CCTV, Dashcam footage and speaking to people who are providing us with information.

Lancashire Police appeared to call out social media sleuths for their "hurtful abuse of innocent people" in relation to the case.

It said that speculation about her fate by "so-called experts" is "damaging" to the investigation.

On Twitter, the force stated: "We continue to see hurtful abuse of innocent people, including witnesses and local businesses.

"There is also a huge amount of commentary from so-called experts and conspiracy theories which are damaging to the investigation and, worst of all, to Nicola's family.

"It must stop."

Has anyone else following this case done what I can't stop myself doing and imagined their female family/friends in Nicola's situation? How many possible scenarios for her disappearance have you come up with? Whilst one friend I might think "this has happened" if I put another friend in the same scenario I'd think something different. Either way, with whatever scenario my active imagination comes up with, it's nothing compared to what this and other families are going through. I hope there's a resolution.

I'm not really understanding why there's this argument between the 10 minute window and now it's suddenly changed to 1-2 hours? Nicola was sighted at 9:10am then her phone was apparently at the bench at 9:20am (police must be sure of this). 10 mins later and the call has ended that she was on and she hasn't disconnected. So at most surely it's a 20 minute window? Sure the witness got there at 9:33am ish, but at that point Nicola was gone anyway... so the fact Paul wasn't notified until 10:50am (ish again) doesn't really make any difference?
came from Tilly Anne, family friend ( on their timeline) Might be on the media thread ?

Question for the group:
If Nicola did leave via this exit (the same way she entered)
What could have caused the dog to stay?

IMO can I suggest the dog was actually frantically running up and down this path,
returning to the bench, and the road
and just so happened to be found at the bench.

We're talking 15-20mins here, it may have done several laps searching.
I have no great input here and admit to knowing nothing of the layout but did find this piece regarding the dog's behaviour

Agreed but I read (can't remember the source) that she usually took calls on loudspeaker. Plus there has been no mention of headphones.
If somebody else was involved, its curious how they decided to do something while she was logged onto the Teams call with people talking on loudspeaker and probably the phone visible such as near her ear during the time she disappeared, and the call was not interrupted at any point while she became detached from the phone. Suggests to me she put the phone down herself and then went somewhere without it, expecting to be back soon and just trusted nobody would take it. But she didn't make it back. She must have walked somewhere with no cctv. Then why? Looking for a bin carrying dog poo?

Question for the group:
If Nicola did leave via this exit (the same way she entered)
What could have caused the dog to stay?

IMO can I suggest the dog was actually frantically running up and down this path,
returning to the bench, and the road
and just so happened to be found at the bench.

We're talking 15-20mins here, it may have done several laps searching.
A very good question!

For full disclosure, I do not think she fell into the river, I lean towards a third party intervention. Given that stance, I'm interested in what would have caused her to abandon phone and dog, and leave, e.g. through the kissing gate. I'm not sure where it was reported, but my impression was that the dog was found running between the bench and the kissing gate. Looking at the report on GMB yesterday (Thursday), the metal kissing gate is very close to the back of the bench, and leads to a tree/shrub lined footpath. Perhaps, at the crucial time, Willow was a little way away from the bench/gate and saw NB leave via the gate, so was naturally drawn to that area.

So why did she leave? Well, I can imagine if a third party came down the path to the gate and told her, for instance, they had come from the school and that one of her children had been taken ill/ had an accident, she would think of nothing other than to get to the child, forgetting everything else. I cannot imagine any other reason why she would just leave. Given the timings published by LE (last sighting 09:10, phone found 09:33), 20 minutes seems ample to lure her away. What happened therafter is not for me to speculate.

MOO

If somebody else was involved, its curious how they decided to do something while she was logged onto the Teams call with people talking on loudspeaker and probably the phone visible such as near her ear during the time she disappeared, and the call was not interrupted at any point while she became detached from the phone. Suggests to me she put the phone down herself and then went somewhere without it, expecting to be back soon and just trusted nobody would take it. But she didn't make it back. She must have walked somewhere with no cctv. Then why? Looking for a bin carrying dog poo?

Agreed, and they wouldn't have known she was muted either if that was the case. So I agree, she must have gone somewhere other than the bench and not made it back.

A very good question!

For full disclosure, I do not think she fell into the river, I lean towards a third party intervention. Given that stance, I'm interested in what would have caused her to abandon phone and dog, and leave, e.g. through the kissing gate. I'm not sure where it was reported, but my impression was that the dog was found running between the bench and the kissing gate. Looking at the report on GMB yesterday (Thursday), the metal kissing gate is very close to the back of the bench, and leads to a tree/shrub lined footpath. Perhaps, at the crucial time, Willow was a little way away from the bench/gate and saw NB leave via the gate, so was naturally drawn to that area.

So why did she leave? Well, I can imagine if a third party came down the path to the gate and told her, for instance, they had come from the school and that one of her children had been taken ill/ had an accident, she would think of nothing other than to get to the child, forgetting everything else. I cannot imagine any other reason why she would just leave. Given the timings published by LE (last sighting 09:10, phone found 09:33), 20 minutes seems ample to lure her away. What happened therafter is not for me to speculate.

MOO
Phone was placed on the bench at 9.20am.
Teams meeting ended at 9.30am
She did not log out.
The window remains at 10 mins approx.

Dog and phone discovered at 9.33am. Nicola was not there at that time.

I honestly pray that LE will find the data from fitbit (company) which may give some crucial information on what may have happened

Guessing the data may have synced up until the phone and device was separated (hoping it had gps tracking and was enabled).

If the last known location was upper field - then its a crime scene cos who put the phone near the bench?
If the last known location was near the bench then it could very well be drowning and dog may be clever enough to not jump into the water having seen NB drown and instead gets agitated to raise alarm.

but it still baffles me water search didn't yield any results given how quickly LE started the search.

All thoughts are with NB's family

Last edited:
A very good question!

MOO
Yes I agree - I think we said this in earlier thread - grabbing her attention in a false emergency. Still not sure why she would have left the dog though. JMO.

Agree, tbh whatever her pressing appt was I would be of similar mind and not be about to cancel my appt (particularly if it was docs or dentist) for a dog. Sorry, I love animals but I do not own a dog. She did what she thought best and made the dog secure. Not all of us are wedded to our phones and she may be one of the refreshing people that are not, hence the delay in relaying the message re her concern.
But a loose dog and an unattended mobile phone, next to a river??

I could understand if it was just the dog. (Barely, but only because I’m a dog lover).

But a dog and a mobile phone in a quiet area where it wouldn’t take long to realise there is a person missing where a person should be…..I could never walk away from that.

A very good question!

MOO

Thanks for adding your view!
I think it's important to discuss this gate, as from day one the police have stated it's a CCTV black spot and have appealed for footage.

I also think she could have been threatened at knife point, and told to follow.
The dog doesn't strike me as a nature that would attack, it looks more to me like a calm, well natured breed.

Keep in mind it accepted being tied up by a complete stranger!

So if the third party was aggressive enough, it might well have backed away.

I'm sure it followed, which is why it was found frantically searching.
But we're not talking about a guard dog here.
This is a well-natured, social, calm dog.

All my opinion, obviously.

Followed someone thinking she’d only be gone for a minute but then something untoward or unfortunate has happened?

But a loose dog and an unattended mobile phone, next to a river??

I could understand if it was just the dog. (Barely, but only because I’m a dog lover).

But a dog and a mobile phone in a quiet area where it wouldn’t take long to realise there is a person missing where a person should be…..I could never walk away from that.
Yes agree, I don't like dogs but if i noticed something like this I would at least look around to make sure someone is nearby just because of the phone and doesn't matter how busy I was

Hi all, some Strava sleuthing from me. I'm a Strava subscriber which gives me access to 'segment' data and leaderboards. Basically a segment is a route, usually a short section, whereby if you pass through that segment it logs your data on the leaderboard.

Looking at NB's strava and her usual route, as per on Jan 27th, there are a few segments. On closer look at the data for these segments it shows someone, on the 27th, doing a very similar route, from the village.

Their walk starts at 10.24 and finishes at 11.31 Their route appears to differ from NB in that they head down stream along the river first then back, then to the area of bench/fields - if a body did travel downstream from bench area around that time, there could be a possibility of them noticing something floating down stream as they'd be walking in the same direction as the river flow for 20-30 ish minutes? Looking at the data this person does this route every day, except the few days following Jan 27th. They have 0 followers and follow 0 people.

Anyway my point is that they potentially could have either known NB or seen her previously or that day (potential witness) or a good chance that if a body travelled downstream at the time they were walking downstream for 15-20 mins, there could have been a good chance they'd have noticed, and if not, does that support the 'not in the river' line of thinking.

I hope I've explained what I'm saying ok but i'm happy to discuss, provide more info as I found it interesting. Thinking of NBs family, what an awful and sad case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025