Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the lady who found the dog, also find the phone?

I have to say, if I found a dog running loose there is no way I’d tie it up and walk away. I am a dog lover but I understand that some people are not and would put more importance in whatever other arrangements they had that day, over the well being of a dog. So I can believe it if that is the case.

*modsnip*.

I disagree. Hindsight is 20/20. My world is populated by busy parents and toddlers, parks, walks, dropped toys, forgotten baby change bags, etc etc. If - in a busy little dog/walking route like that - I spotted a dog and phone on a bench, I would NOT immediately think I should ring the police.

My first thought would be that a busy parent had taken a child off to the bushes because they couldn't wait for the bathroom, or that someone was chasing a toddler or something.

Most people would clock it for a matter of a minute or so, wandering past. Unless you were waiting there for a period of time, you'd have no idea how long the owner was gone for. If a period of time elapsed, yes, my thoughts on it would change, and I'd take appropriate action. Walking past and just seeing a dog and phone? Nope. I would not immediately call the police.

*modsnip*

Last edited by a moderator:
9.30am – The Teams call ended but Nicola stayed logged on

9.33am (approximately) – Nicola’s mobile phone and Willow were found at a bench by the river by another dog-walker.

I doubt the teams call ended at 9.30 exactly, the same way the 9.33 is approximate. I mean it's possible it was scheduled to run til 9.30 but when do meetings end bang on time?

If she was listening on loudspeaker as her friends have said she usually did, there is IMO obviously a chance that when the person discovered the phone the teams call was still going on and they would have heard it through the loudspeaker.

I'm not sure that tells us anything extra, but that it was definitely something untoward if you'd come across it. Just speculating that the times could have feasibly crossed over.

9.30am – The Teams call ended but Nicola stayed logged on

9.33am (approximately) – Nicola’s mobile phone and Willow were found at a bench by the river by another dog-walker.

I doubt the teams call ended at 9.30 exactly, the same way the 9.33 is approximate. I mean it's possible it was scheduled to run til 9.30 but when do meetings end bang on time?

If she was listening on loudspeaker as her friends have said she usually did, there is IMO obviously a chance that when the person discovered the phone the teams call was still going on and they would have heard it through the loudspeaker.

I'm not sure that tells us anything extra, but that it was definitely something untoward if you'd come across it. Just speculating that the times could have feasibly crossed over.
Muted and camera off. How would a witness possibly know it was in a conference call ?

Suddenly the 'window' is publicly expanded to c. 2 hours (last witness sighting in Top Field - PA arriving on the scene), which is EXACTLY what I was trying to explain the other day when my post got angry reactions and was deleted for being speculation. I am relieved that this has now - finally! - been acknowledged. It should, IMO, have been right from the outset, as it potentially opens up a whole lot of other possible avenues to be pursued.

Yes I think a lot of us were thinking that the period of time was much bigger. I wonder whether police said 10 mins previously (9.10-9.20) in order to catch anyone out, knowing full well it was a lot longer. JMO.

If someone had a been in their bonnet about dogs being off the lead it would be logical to tie the dog up.

I don't know the area but there were some suggestions earlier of livestock and also some signage about keeping dogs on leads.

This still does not explain why anyone would ignore a loose dog and a phone and no human. That does seem like a situation which would warrant further investigation. I think I would have sat on the bench and waited as long as the dog was not aggressive then if nothing happened call a contact on the phone to report phone and dog found.
There are a lot of assumptions here. It may have been somebody who didn’t have a phone with them. Maybe they waited a while and decided the only course of action was to go away and talk to somebody else...so they tied the loose dog up and left. The phone on the bench is somebody else’s property and I think a lot of people would refrain from touching it.

My train of thought is throwing up another question which I am unsure about:-

Did anyone actually see the dog running loose in the vicinity of the bench (or anywhere else) other than the lady who says she found it and tied it up to the bench with string or whatever?

Depending on the answers I get I will expand...

Reason I'm asking is potentially the dog was on it's own, or separated from NB, from 0910 (when a witness allegedly saw or recognised NB walking her dog) until it was found at 0933.

Last edited:
*We continue to look at all the potential scenarios to eliminate them. We are reviewing our decisions regularly. Based on all the work we have done up to now, our belief remains that Nicola may have fallen into the river for some reason*

C&P from that LE Twitter. There seems to be a change in tone here. That's not a criticism, and it's inevitable at this stage, I guess.

"...was more likely a dog walker or a fisherman would find him than the police and even then it could take weeks or months"

Only just come across this due to the Nicola case.

I wonder how common slipping into a river and not being found is . . . .

<modsnip>

We all know the police hold back on information for (mostly) positive reasons. They won't tell the public this - which would include Mr Faulding.
This case has had so much speculation & potential suspects, it does worry me that 1. It gives the potential perpetrator a heads up and 2. Will affect a 'fair' trial, should it reach that stage.

link for the original topic
Paul Ansell: '
Find out what it is. My plea now is personally I want every house, every garage every outbuilding, the land scrutinised.
'I want it all searched, I want it all scrutinised, and I'm just pleading with them to just please anything, anything, no matter how tiny just vcome foreward with it because that could be the key to finding her.'

Sadly, if NB might be found in any house in the village or the surrounding land and buildings, she could equally be anywhere in the uk.

This is so heart wrenching. Understandably, he asks that every house, location is searched, yet reality is that IF Nicola was snatched she could be anywhere, miles away from the location.
What are people thoughts on this statement made by PA
Well, I don't think he would be asking for people to check nearby outbuildings if he thought that was a kidnapping case. It's not like kidnapping victim would be kept in a nearby shed or garage that anyone could just walk in, is it.

It either means nothing (what else can they ask for) or it means he suspects a scenario that could end her up in a nearby unmanned location. And there is only one realistic version that comes to mind. Or two less realistic ones - fell to the river for unspecified reason and walked away in a confused state & hypothermia or was killed by some weirdo who managed to get her to that location totally undetected by any cameras or witnesses before killing her - sadly, she would most likely not be alive in any of these three, at least not all this time later.

Last edited:
If the police suspect foul play then they are duty bound to search the river right out to the sea, even if they themselves doubt she is there.
For otherwise it would be extremely difficult to place charges in future against any suspect on the basis of circumstantial evidence.

In the absence of NB, any accused in court could claim the police never properly investigated the possibility of an accident because they were too focused on an imaginary crime. I am sure the police are doing what is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025