Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is what the witness told DailyMail:

Meanwhile, a business owner who raised the alarm about Ms Bulley's disappearance has spoken for the first time of the moment she came across her 'worried' dog by the side of a river.

The woman, who did not want be named, spotted brown springer spaniel Willow running free on the river bank on Friday morning.

She also found Nicola's mobile phone on a bench by the side of the river, under a tree which has a sign warning of deep water nailed to it.

Bizarrely, Willow was running free and the woman found the dog's harness on the floor next to the river.

She called her daughter-in-law who called Nicola's long-term partner Paul, who dialled 999.

The woman, who runs a business in picturesque St Michaels on Wyre, said she knew of Nicola and hoped nothing 'bad' had happened to her.

Speaking today, she said: 'I saw the dog and I recognised it, but I suddenly couldn't think whose dog it was.

'There was a mobile phone on the bench and there was also something between the bench and the river so I went and looked, and it was a dog harness.

'The dog looked worried so I tied her up and rushed home as I had to go to an appointment.

'I then went and spoke to my daughter-in-law and she immediately knew who the dog was, alerted the woman's partner and that was it - the police were on it.'

ETA: Discrepancy about someone ringing Paul not the school though so....

For clarity this is what Paul said in his Interview:

Paul - Yeah, lunchtime, go to the gym. Were going to leave, and then the phone rang and it was the school, and it was the receptionist at school and she said 'Mr. Ansell, it's a bit of a weird one, but we've found Willow and Nikki's phone on the bench and the harness halfway down the embankment on the floor.

Last edited:
Snipped by me.

See now that I'm not sure of, because I thought I had read that in MSM. Even though the police didn't say he was tied up by the witness doesn't mean he wasn't.
Do you think the police could be talking about a later witness that came upon the scene after Willow had initially been tied up if she was left there? I find this part of the timeframe quite muddled with multiple conflicting reports. If NB wasn't in the river at this time then anything could have been happening in another area of the park

Actually, thank you for this. I have wondered from the beginning:
1) does the river maybe have "backflow" areas from older structures in disrepair? (Maybe even structures hundreds of years old.)
2) could something flow into, or get caught on, one of these areas for a period of time?
3) something might only then 'wash out' .. during a period of high flooding. (?)

As I am not a hydrologist, I could only imagine that a person's body (sadly) could become 'hidden' very soon after immersion, and then only emerge later when there is a substantial rainstorm.

Much gratitude as this article shows how the Wyre is EVEN more complex than I thought.

Moo.
Agreed. The riverbank is dense and high and more complex than people are assuming. Collapsed river banks and regular flooding as well as the tidal ebbs and flows, the weir, flood defence systems in place, pipelines, reports of sewerage systems overflowing etc. Lots of places for a body to get lodged for weeks/months This is a medieval village dating back centuries does anyone know if there's cellars or old war bunkers from that old Manor house going down into that embankment. Caverns could have been formed over centuries, old decayed jetties buried deep into that sheer drop on the house side who knows? I've always thought the riverbed itself is not the answer it's way beyond that needs searching although I've no idea how they do that as the side sonar didn't seem to pick anything up.

So this is what the witness told DailyMail:

Meanwhile, a business owner who raised the alarm about Ms Bulley's disappearance has spoken for the first time of the moment she came across her 'worried' dog by the side of a river.

The woman, who did not want be named, spotted brown springer spaniel Willow running free on the river bank on Friday morning.

She also found Nicola's mobile phone on a bench by the side of the river, under a tree which has a sign warning of deep water nailed to it.

Bizarrely, Willow was running free and the woman found the dog's harness on the floor next to the river.

She called her daughter-in-law who called Nicola's long-term partner Paul, who dialled 999.

The woman, who runs a business in picturesque St Michaels on Wyre, said she knew of Nicola and hoped nothing 'bad' had happened to her.

Speaking today, she said: 'I saw the dog and I recognised it, but I suddenly couldn't think whose dog it was.

'There was a mobile phone on the bench and there was also something between the bench and the river so I went and looked, and it was a dog harness.

'The dog looked worried so I tied her up and rushed home as I had to go to an appointment.

'I then went and spoke to my daughter-in-law and she immediately knew who the dog was, alerted the woman's partner and that was it - the police were on it.'

This has changed somewhat. It was the school that alerted the partner. The DIL alerted the school.

There was a poster on that case who basically said, almost to the nearest square metre, where AKs body would be found…and the date it would be found.
he was absolutely spot on.
The only other case I've followed on here was that of firefighter Anthony Knott who went missing in 2019 in Lewes, East Sussex while on a pre-christmas pub crawl with colleagues.
The theories on here ranged from him going off to buy drugs or cigarettes, to a sexual liaison to assault, kidnap, murder and him disappearing on purpose.
Meanwhile, the river was searched, searched and searched again but didn't give up his body until three weeks later, eight miles downstream when it was spotted by a member of the public.

Pretty sure PF and his SGI would have been involved in that search too as if I'm not mistaken, Sussex Police were forced to contract out their search and rescue activities when the government cut their funding.

It struck me as a bit early to be looking around the mud flats and the estuary - generally in cases of bodies turning up in the river it takes some time - it’s something like 11 miles down there.

In addition it can only be done by spouse (NB & PA are not married) sibling or parent.
This point is worth clarifying, but I'd imagine given they've been together 12 (?) years and have two children and (possibly?) joint accounts, PA would qualify as common-law spouse. I doubt the police would object to him filing such a request over NB's parents. Anyone in the know about these things is welcome to comment, however.

View attachment 402418

ETA has the lower sign been shot at ? If so by whom.

Holy cow! There are a lot of bossy signs hung up there! Not very welcoming.

I live very near a river and in the 1 mile in each direction I don't think there are any signs like this.

So a local person (or people) are certainly self-policing the area here. And going mad with signs.
So people are watching......

not new but recent - 9th Feb - seeing as posters are mentioning Skippool

some clips showing the width of the river at Skippool during search

map link. 12 miles of tidal river from the weir at St michael's Google Maps
Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 15.21.24.png

ps Have a look at photos of the Skippool creek online. Very complex search area. Mudflats, debris, old boats as well as the Yacht club

Last edited:
Do you think the police could be talking about a later witness that came upon the scene after Willow had initially been tied up if she was left there? I find this part of the timeframe quite muddled with multiple conflicting reports. If NB wasn't in the river at this time then anything could have been happening in another area of the park
I really don't think so. There was zero mention of anyone other than that last witness finding Willow. I think they would have said if multiple people saw Willow by the bench on his own.

This point is worth clarifying, but I'd imagine given they've been together 12 (?) years and have two children and (possibly?) joint accounts, PA would qualify as common-law spouse. I doubt the police would object to him filing such a request over NB's parents. Anyone in the know about these things is welcome to comment, however.

There is actually no such thing under English law. This common-law thing is just rumour and hearsay, something which people think exists, and doesn't.
Surprising, I know....

I live very near a river and in the 1 mile in each direction I don't think there are any signs like this.

So a local person (or people) are certainly self-policing the area here. And going mad with signs.
Look more to me like helpful signs regarding where to obtain permission if someone wants to go fishing there.

Are we all just assuming that 'tied the dog up' means tying it to the bench? I know that's what it sounds like, but could it also mean attaching something to its collar (lead/string etc) and taking the dog with her?
That is a good point as I had assumed this. It wouldn't be so confusing if that was what happened

That photo shows sign - ‘Private Fishing - Day permits available from St Michael’s Garage ‘. Is this the same garage that they are now checking cctv for the 2 ‘suspicious men’??

I’ve thought that too. It all seems confusing, Willow tied up/roaming free, phone on bench/initially (rumoured) to be on the floor. Don’t think media sensationalism has helped IMO. But whilst I think (some stretch) of the river accidentally/possible third party, I have thought concealed on that land somewhere and probably very well hidden.
One thing I’ve also been wondering…is initial reports linked to a ‘suspicious’ vehicle in Skippool car park but that all died down quite quickly…nothing? or something LP have asked to keep out of further media for a reason?
I know in many cases it takes a weeks/months for a body to be found in the water, as linked in one of my earlier posts, it just makes me wonder…
EBM typo

Last edited:
Are we all just assuming that 'tied the dog up' means tying it to the bench? I know that's what it sounds like, but could it also mean attaching something to its collar (lead/string etc) and taking the dog with her?
My interpretation is that Willow was tied up. The other option would presumably have been stated, in a different way. The dog was there when Paul arrived at the bench.

An interesting article from the Metro from Nicola’s next door neighbour. So Nicola DID have her car keys with her. A description is given. Also confirmed that Willow would never have left Nicola’s side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298