Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so weird!
Am going to have to watch that entire Feb 3rd press conference again.
The link I posted has the date 2 Feb but is the latest news from today.

I need to find the original page from 2 Feb.

There was a news article from 8 February that first mentions Rebecca Smith as SIO if anyone can find a link.

So sorry PS8800, but glad you have shared it - and there should be no shame. and you're still here. Survivor!

( One of my oldest friends tried to kill herself twice, your account brings back memories . And two of my other friends partners were successful - tragically.
Thankyou so much for sharing your deeply personal story . You should have no shame. If I didn’t have my twins, I would not be here now after the last two years that I have gone through. It happens to a lot of us and psychologists say that it is usually the strong ones because everyone gravitates towards them to help and they burn out

1 Feb:

Kev said his team only gets called out to ‘high risk’ cases that are not considered dangerous; for example, suspected criminals on the run. “We only go to despondents, and suicidal cases and people with dementia – and people who are generally lost,” he added.

So IF NB has wandered off, how is she able to stay 'off grid'?
By living in a van maybe. It's got me thinking about the mysterious red van that the superintendent said in the press conference they are still trying to find. The witness reported it was a shabby looking van the tyre you can LIVE in. What if it wasn't suspicious in the sense of someone trying to harm or abduct NB but could it be planned and the van was actually picking up NB and she is living in it or it transported her on to somewhere else. I think if she has disappeared she would have needed help to get away from the local area and somewhere to hide. The red van could be serving as both. It's strange with such publicity that the owner has still not come forward.

Occam’s razor states that she is in the water

Personally , I would ask Peter Faulding back to the river to do another deep dive because his strategy would have been totally different had he have been briefed about these vulnerabilities from the start .

I would have the scene re enacted in different ways by using a dummy mock up of her size and weight and height and put the exact clothes on her that she had on the day she disappeared and then when the river conditions are the same or similar to the river conditions on the day of her disappearance, I would use it to see how far it is likely to travel IF for example she has launched herself into the middle of the water.
This is also the more likely answer because her dog would have followed her scent on land as he was not tied up..

Sadly , I have dealt with many suicides of women in their 40/50’s , including my own mother. There are surprisingly a lot who do use water a the main method. We cannot comprehend that because we are not at their level and depth of despair and they are not in a rationale frame of mind by this stage.
Because of the nature of our coastline in the U.K. we do often have bodies and body parts that are washed up on shore around the country and again this is something that experts can generally predict using the flow rate of the river and the water depth and the weight etc … I was often called to such on Crosby and Southport beaches.
To answer your question, I think the family will have a good idea if they look at what her mental condition in recent months but understandably, HOPE, makes them look elsewhere. There’s a chance of her being found and finding out what happened to her . Unless of course she has decided to walk away from her current life and one day May return when she is mentally able to face her life and responsibilities again .
Gosh I am sorry.

A question that bothers me in relation to possible suicide in this case is why would someone arrange a playdate just minutes before walking into a freezing cold river?

Just to add I think releasing the deeply personal information about Nicola was appalling and unnecessary. The SIO herself said in the press conference that publicising the specific details of NB's vulnerabilities would be inappropriate and yet just a few hours later...

IMO it done purely in defence of police strategy I.e. they suspect suicide which supports their primary hypothesis.
impulse? Maybe sat on bench, staring at the water, contemplating life.

By living in a van maybe. It's got me thinking about the mysterious red van that the superintendent said in the press conference they are still trying to find. The witness reported it was a shabby looking van the tyre you can LIVE in. What if it wasn't suspicious in the sense of someone trying to harm or abduct NB but could it be planned and the van was actually picking up NB and she is living in it or it transported her on to somewhere else. I think if she has disappeared she would have needed help to get away from the local area and somewhere to hide. The red van could be serving as both. It's strange with such publicity that the owner has still not come forward.
I think the opposite! I’d want to stay far away from the press and potential repercussions as possible imo

too long to reply to all the points but just re your point here : 'I have concerns about tunnel vision by the SIO but as an insider, what leaps out to me is that after the first 48 hrs of this being a missing person from home ( MFH ) this SHOULD HAVE ABSOLUTELY BEEN DEEMED A POTENTIAL CRIME AND THEN HANDED OVER TO THE CID SIO ( me ).'

if the NCA already peer reviewed their investigation ( see press conference from a fortnight ago) and, seeing as the NCA are the key org which assist all others with MPerson's cases, why do you feel that this should have been handed over when NCA have the expertise here?

Unless we want to jump the shark and presume that Superintendent Sally Riley is a liar, NCA already said that LP had basically missed nothing ( eg to suggest criminal involvement.)
But the police believed (still do) that no crime was commuted and they also knew from the start that NB was vulnerable. I’m sure she also said they had a team of CID officers on the same too, regardless.

Whatever, NB still hasn’t been found by anyone at all, so even with further investigations when there’s so little to go on, where would they look?

There were no suspicious characters in the area, except for the alleged two fishermen a man said he saw (but they weren’t picked up on CCTV despite him saying exactly where he supposedly saw them), and according to him they were hiding their faces - but carrying fishing rods brig it attention to themselves. I suspect the police have dismissed his claims given that no one else saw them and they’d have been caught on CCTV when he descr Their location - which they weren’t.

Same as the tatty red van…red herring.

I did wonder if she used the last minute Zoom meeting the afternoon/evening before as a cover so she could spend some time hiding a rucksack of clothes/supplies ready for the next morning if she planned to walk away. MOO
She could have been making final preparations with the "client" on zoom if the person was helping with her disappearance. Her dad said she was upbeat after. Maybe a plan had been finalised. MOO.

I’m sure I read they did rule the red van out somewhere today…I’m not 100% sure, but shall try and find it.

How does someone stay off grid? I think it could be easier than some people think if it was meticulously planned. Living with someone who is helping hide the missing person or who has arranged for somewhere for them to stay. We are in the property market in another part of the UK and I know a number of mortgage advisors who have strong connections with other people in the property market who buy and sell properties or rent them out, renovation projects where properties are vacant and in the process of being refurbished, auction property, holiday parks, second homes and holiday letting. If someone wanted to stay off grid, they could do so with the right help. Look at JD, he stayed right next door in the adjoining property.

Last edited:

This is an interesting read tl;dr that location doesn't match what is typical of intentional drownings in Ireland. Typically it's from a bridge or atleast a jump. Often they don't know how to swim. It doesn't match the most common times of day or of the week either.

It's also quite an uncommon method as it is in the UK.

Perhaps Nicola didn't follow convention. But it seems questionable at best

For me it's too incredulous. I have personally been suicidal in the past (funnily enough when I was a chronic alcoholic) and the very LAST thing that any suicidal person wants is 'a fuss' or to 'wake up in an even worse situation' or 'wake up in hospital injured / disabled with family members sobbing round the bed'. They just want to do something that means they pass into the next life as effectively as possible.

Several people I know have succeeded in taking their own lives in the last few years, most especially over covid times, and I can't even begin to emphasise the lengths and brutality they went to.

Being in a river where quite a lot of people walk would just be a big splashy drama and maybe if NB was not self harming but dramatically seeking attention that might be a thing? She doesn't seem the sort to me but I don't know her.

More importantly - I'm now wondering if there were TWO events = some sort of dispute that escalated (dog off lead? fisherman annoyed? someone tried to mug her? any random event?) that led to NB falling into the river, getting out or being helped out and then in a vulnerable and possibly injured state, a perpetrator has done something terrible to her? Maybe they offered her a ride to hospital?

Occam’s razor states that she is in the water

Personally , I would ask Peter Faulding back to the river to do another deep dive because his strategy would have been totally different had he have been briefed about these vulnerabilities from the start .

I would have the scene re enacted in different ways by using a dummy mock up of her size and weight and height and put the exact clothes on her that she had on the day she disappeared and then when the river conditions are the same or similar to the river conditions on the day of her disappearance, I would use it to see how far it is likely to travel IF for example she has launched herself into the middle of the water.
This is also the more likely answer because her dog would have followed her scent on land as he was not tied up..

Sadly , I have dealt with many suicides of women in their 40/50’s , including my own mother. There are surprisingly a lot who do use water a the main method. We cannot comprehend that because we are not at their level and depth of despair and they are not in a rationale frame of mind by this stage.
Because of the nature of our coastline in the U.K. we do often have bodies and body parts that are washed up on shore around the country and again this is something that experts can generally predict using the flow rate of the river and the water depth and the weight etc … I was often called to such on Crosby and Southport beaches.
To answer your question, I think the family will have a good idea if they look at what her mental condition in recent months but understandably, HOPE, makes them look elsewhere. There’s a chance of her being found and finding out what happened to her . Unless of course she has decided to walk away from her current life and one day May return when she is mentally able to face her life and responsibilities again .
It's not that common though is it? It's circa 3.5% (though I think a tad higher for females) of suicides. If you take the circa 1,500 female suicides per year in England and Wales that's around 50 a year in the country.

(I am so sorry to hear about your mother)

Last edited:
A question that bothers me in relation to possible suicide in this case is why would someone arrange a playdate just minutes before walking into a freezing cold river?

Just to add I think releasing the deeply personal information about Nicola was appalling and unnecessary. The SIO herself said in the press conference that publicising the specific details of NB's vulnerabilities would be inappropriate and yet just a few hours later...

IMO it done purely in defence of police strategy I.e. they suspect suicide which supports their primary hypothesis.
There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to suicide. You cannot apply logic. People can take their own life “accidentally” also but it appearing with intent.
I dont think enough is known about the mind.

I guess this is how stable minded individuals think.

This is hard for me to share but here goes.
I went through a period in my late 20s living abroad of extreme loneliness and drinking to blackout point.
Now one day I woke up with a bad hangover, I took painkillers and my friend picked me up. I had a nap, woke up, took a different type of painkiller and got ready to go out and do it all over again.
We were in the pub and suddenly i had this very frightening sensation come over me that I had to find cold water to feel relief-I ran outside and it was about 30degrees +/- No water in sight. Panicked and ran back in, my only solution was the bathroom. I locked myself in a stall and then proceeded to soak my head and entire self using the hand held bidet shower thing-I flooded the ladies bathroom and walked out the bar soaked from head to toe.

To this day I cannot explain, how/why/where/ what. I dont know if this was a combination of alcohol and mixing pain killers in combination with underlying poor mental health (i was also trying to leave an abusive relationship at the time)
If there had been a lake, river, sea whatever id have gone into it and I think about that everyday.
A previous post someone mentioned about folk heading for water and it being a strange phenomenon had me wanting to share earlier but I held off till now.
Ive shared this with few and even though it was more than 10yrs ago theres still some “shame” In what happened that day.

This is an example of a spontaneous mental break I suppose? It could have ended far worse, and possibly deemed a suicide but I wasnt intent on killing myself.
I'm glad you survived to tell your story @PS8800.

Your reaction is not so different from that of victims in serious auto accidents and/or other trauma.

A longtime friend is a helicopter medivac pilot and more than half of the victims he recovers that crash and abandons their vehicles are later found partially disrobed and in the nearest body of water (i.e., paradoxical undressing). Injured animals similarly gravitate to water. MOO

In addition, the police say she made a call to book a play date for her children shortly before her disappearance. This does not to me seem to be the action of someone who was in a suicidal frame of mind.
Might that call possibly be a ruse? An attempt to keep people from thinking she has purposely disappeared? Because a person intending to disappear would not make future appointments? I don't really believe it myself, but this case is getting stranger by the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayhartley90