Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered who put up the "dogs must be on lead" notice by the bench? It's not an official council type notice. Who owns this land? Could there have been a confronatation between somone and NB due to dog being allowed to run free in these fields?
My thoughts exactly - MOO - and I posted about this on a previous thread (yesterday).

Although PF has been unsuccessful in finding NB in the river, I'm still not ruling out this scenario as it's possible IMO that sadly NB has ended up in the sea.

If NB lets Willow off lead in that field almost every day, and there's a 'dogs on lead' sign by the bench, AND the nearby (adjoining?) campsite has a very strict rule about dogs on leads, I can see this being very relevant and a potential point of conflict. When considered alongside the fact that both the 9.33 and 10.50 witnesses were the campsite owners/family.

People get agitated about off-lead dogs, in my experience. Especially if they have their own dogs or livestock e.g. chickens. JMO.
Yeah free range chickens running about with dogs off leads could be a big problem. I have a cockapoo and first sign of squirrels, rabbits etc she is off although she is trained and comes back sometimes squirrels just make her blinded. If she saw a chicken running about she would definitely be after it and would probably hurt it although unintentionally as soft pallete. Cocker, Springers etc are bred for this to flush birds, game out etc, it's in their nature.

I've always wondered who put up the "dogs must be on lead" notice by the bench? It's not an official council type notice.
Wonder if its the same who tied the dog to the bench with string? The string seemed a bit odd unless its a more frequent occurrence in the area & to somewhat highlight a point.

If NB lets Willow off lead in that field almost every day, and there's a 'dogs on lead' sign by the bench, AND the nearby (adjoining?) campsite has a very strict rule about dogs on leads, I can see this being very relevant and a potential point of conflict. When considered alongside the fact that both the 9.33 and 10.50 witnesses were the campsite owners/family.

People get agitated about off-lead dogs, in my experience. Especially if they have their own dogs or livestock e.g. chickens. JMO.
Yeah free range chickens running about with dogs off leads could be a big problem. I have a cockapoo and first sign of squirrels, rabbits etc she is off although she is trained and comes back sometimes squirrels just make her blinded. If she saw a chicken running about she would definitely be after it and would probably hurt it although unintentionally as soft pallete. Cocker, Springers etc are bred for this to flush birds, game out etc, it's in their nature.

I've always wondered who put up the "dogs must be on lead" notice by the bench? It's not an official council type notice. Who owns this land? Could there have been a confronatation between somone and NB due to dog being allowed to run free in these fields?
I'd guess it's not as much about dogs running freely about the field (which does not pose any immediate risk) as it's about dogs without lead running to the water potentially endangering both them and the owners. We have to remember that likely it's not only adults who walk the dogs there. A kid trying to "rescue" an animal who jumped into the water like this is definitely a life hazard. IMHO of course.

'When Sgt Riley is asked if the bench should have been better preserved for evidence or treated as a crime scene she tells us that as the police arrived so fast the window was too short for anything to happen, so ,no need, effectively. It would detract from the beauty of the area and adversely interfere with the public's leisure time. '

where was that from @Lady Stoddart-West? I missed that comment - was it from an early press conference I didn'tt watch?
That was certainly NOT from Supt Riley's presser yesterday or her presser last Friday or any police statement whatsoever.

Absolutely... A whole hour almost... Catagorically preventing the dog from retracing NB steps in anyway shape or form
From police statements and other information provided in MSM, the witness at 9.33am discovered an agitated dog, no owner in sight, a lead and harness discarded on the ground near water, and a mobile phone near on a bench near a river - which MSM has shown to contain warning signs above the bench about it being very deep and dangerous water.

We know from police and MSM that the witness at 9.33am did not immediately raise the alarm after discovery of the scene.

There is no suggestion from MSM, Police or from the witness interview to a local media outlet, that she stayed on the scene to try and find the owner of the dog, check the dog tag and call the number, shout out or check the surrounding area, including the water so in the absence of any such confirmation, we can therefore assume those things didn't happen.

What we do know, and is relevant to the wider understanding of the case and timelines, is that from MSM information and in her own words (whilst asking local news outlet not to be named) that she had an appointment to attend, and had to rush home and that she later spoke to her daughter in law.

So alarm was raised 1 hour and 17 mins after initial discovery of the bench scene.

From the police and MSM reporting, including in the words of the witness, the dog was tied up by the witness and left at the scene.

I have searched MSM and police statements and see no other comment or analysis on this series of events so in line with rules, I'll make no further comment.

Last edited:
If somebody in my family came home and mentioned that a familiar dog was distressed and alone down by the river, I'd be down there pronto, not because I'd suspect anything initially but just to see if the dog was OK. But then there are other people who wouldn't perhaps care as much about a dog.
but do we know this person alerted her family member immediately or after she had attended her appointment she was due at. Even if done imediately the family member may not have been able to just drop what they were doing and go down to the river.

I think (respectfully) you need to go back to the other threads and read peoples reactions to the CCTV pictures. it’s IMO that’s exactly what ‘picking apart and outfit’ means. Arguing over the length and colour, socks tucked into jeans, people claiming she wasn’t wearing wellington’s etc. that is picking an outfit apart.
In a previous interview Sgt Riley mentions the clothes in such detail as looking for any item that might be washed up between the 'bench' and Morecombe Bay area. Presumably, this would give a a steer on location.

Interesting extra info! Hmm… very interesting.
It's not really new info.

It makes me think that the person was more focused on tying up a loose dog than on worrying about where the owner might be. She probably assumed that the owner had popped behind a tree for the toilet or got distracted talking to a friend.

I agree ... have they pulled out earlier than expected? I thought maybe they would search almost to the sea ?
It seems most of the work done is around the bench area plus a mile or so either side ...surely after this amount of time it would have made more sense to look further down river ?
I was hoping they might do a more thorough search around the area of Shard Bridge. It concerned me when something must have been spotted in the water the evening lots of police cars with flashing lights turned up by the bridge but nothing could be found. It just reminds me of the Libby Squire case when somebody spotted something in the river but nothing was found when search teams arrived. A couple of days later her body was found. It would be worth just another investigation round that Shard Bridge area just to rule anything out. Maybe a body can come to the surface briefly then disappear under water again?

From police statements and other information provided in MSM, the witness at 9.33am discovered an agitated dog, no owner in sight, a lead and harness discarded on the ground near water, and a mobile phone near on a bench near a river - which MSM has shown to contain warning signs above the bench about it being very deep and dangerous water.

We know from police and MSM that the witness at 9.33am did not immediately raise the alarm after discovery of the scene.

There is no suggestion from MSM, Police or from the witness interview to a local media outlet, that she stayed on the scene to try and find the owner of the dog, shout out or check the surrounding area, including the water so in the absence of any such confirmation, we can therefore assume those things didn't happen.

What we do know, and is relevant to the wider understanding of the case and timelines, is that from MSM information and in her own words (whilst asking local news outlet not to be named) that she had an appointment to attend, and had to rush home and that she later spoke to her daughter in law.

So alarm was raised 1 hour and 17 mins after initial discovery of the bench scene.

From the police and MSM reporting, including in the words of the witness, the dog was tied up by the witness and left at the scene.

I have searched MSM and police statements and see no other comment or analysis on this series of events so in line with rules, I'll make no further comment.
Thank you, just to add the dog had a collar on, presumably with a dog tag etc.

Not this rural person! I can never find string in the house, let alone on my person when out walking.
I'm guessing this person is the park owner, owns the land, and wonder if they have legal responsibility for fences/hedgerows/posts surrounding the public rights of way etc where you might want to tie something back/whatever. Perhaps they were "doing a morning reccie" when they came across the scene.

I know it’s the daily Mail and all but on the 3rd picture down where 2 men are carrying a inflatable rolled up boat the caption says

Police last night admitted that Nicola could have left the area with a third party when she vanished during a dog walk near the village of St. Michael's on Wyre, Lancashire, some 12 days ago (Pictured: Lancashire Police carrying inflatable Rib boats during the search for Nicola on Wednesday)

Did the police actually says this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member