UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:26am

A 15-minute video interview is now being played, as agreed evidence, with the father of the triplets. The video interview was recorded in December 2019.
He says, for June 23, the scene was "a mess".
He recalls being taken to the unit by a nurse 'asap', "there's something going on".
He said he and the mother both "panicked".
He recalls there was "definitely swelling" on Child O, but could not recall why, and, getting upset and pointing to his hands, he says there were 'bright blue' veins.

11:30am

He said medical staff were doing 'not a lot', and seemed to be concentrating on Child O's temperature.
He said there were "lots of people, rushing in and out".
He recalls seeing a 'pot belly' appearance for Child O, which then had 'gone down'.
The ordeal lasted "ages" for Child O. It "seemed like hours".
The doctor could offer 'no explanation' for what had happened to Child O which has resulted in him dying, the father recalls.

11:38am

The interview talks about the events of June 24.
The father recalls having spent time with the two boys.
He recalls the scene for Child P was "worse than the day before", and was "pandemonium".
He said there was nothing of the sign for Child P of a swollen belly.
He said the medical staff did not have any explanation for why Child P was unwell.
The transport team arrived, but Child P passed away within 10-15 minutes.
He recalls he and the mother asked the transport team to take the surviving baby boy to Liverpool Women's Hospital.
The father adds: "I am sure it was Lucy Letby who wheeled the two boys to us. She said how sorry she was.
"I'm pretty certain she dressed them up."
He said it was Lucy Letby's job to do up the memory box, which included an SD card containing memories of Child O and Child P.
The surviving baby stayed in Liverpool for 'about 11 days' and there were 'no complications at all' apart from a 'small hole in his heart', and remained stable.

11:55am

Intelligence analyst Kate Tyndall is now talking through the sequence of events for Child O, who was born at 2.24pm on June 21, 2016, the second of the three triplets born.
Child O was born in 'good condition', 'cried immediately' and had a 'good tone' and a heart rate over 100bpm. He weighed 2.02kg - 4lb 7oz.

11:58am

The sequence of events then records what happens from 1pm on June 22. Child O had been admitted to the neonatal unit after birth and cared for there.
The court hears during this time, Lucy Letby is on holiday in Ibiza. She is informed by a doctor colleague via Facebook Messenger that triplets have been born and are being cared for at the neonatal unit.

12:02pm

Letby responds to a Whatsapp from colleague Jennifer Jones-Key that she is working Thursday, Friday and Saturday, on her return from holiday.
She adds: "Yep probably be back in with a bang lol"

12:05pm

The doctor Facebook messages Letby on Wednesday, June 22 at 5.13pm: 'How was the flight?...Day has been rubbish. Lots of unnecessary stress for nnu and too much work to fit into one day. I may have (over)filled the unit again..."
Letby: "...Oh that's not good back to earth with a bump for me tomorrow then!..."
Doctor: "...Yes, you might be a bit busy..."

12:08pm

A nursing note by Samantha O'Brien at 6.29pm on Wednesday records: 'No signs of increased work of breathing...CBG carried out this AM at 1045, good result....respiratory rate remains stable. Baby nursed in incubator...temp within normal limits.'
'Fluid requirements checked and correct...10% dextrose infusing via cannula in left hand, site became puffy throughout day....feeds of donor EBM also commenced at 1300hr, currently having 4mls 2 hr...'

Last edited:
12:13pm

Letby messages the doctor 'Yep just got a few bits for lunch (although maybe I won't have time to eat).
The doctor replies he wasn't sure he'd eaten apart from a cereal bar before the triplets arrived.
Letby asks: "What gestation are the trips? I don't mind being busy anyway..."
Doctor: "33+5 [weeks gestation]. 3x Optiflo..."
After more messages, the doctor asks Letby if she has any choice where she is working.
Letby: "No, not with this new handover. Shift leader of night shift allocates for the day shift and vice versa. If your on a run of shifts you tend to stay with same babies."
Letby adds due to the skillsets, she tends to work in nursery room 1.

12:16pm

Letby adds she feels "most at home with ITU [intensive treatment unit] and the girls know that Im quite happy to be in 1 so works out well most of the time."
The doctor replies: "...I like it when you're in itu - everything feels safe and well organised..."
Letby: "Awe that's nice to hear, Huw often says that too - see what happens tomorrow."
Letby adds there is a potential job opening on the unit which she believes she might be lined up for.

12:18pm

The doctor: 'If you didn't want it now, could you defer?'
Letby: 'Yes good to know and worth thinking about...& yes, I'm sure she would let me defer.'

12:20pm

Nurse Sophie Ellis records, on the night shift for Child O, in a note written at 2.19am on June 23: '[incubator] temperature reduced due to temperature of 37.3C - to check hourly as appropriate. All other observations stable. Pink, warm and well perfused....abdo full but soft.'

Last edited:
12:24pm

A note at 6.41am recorded a TPN nutrition bag was stopped as Child O had reached full feeds of donor expressed breast milk, and was 'tolerating well'.
At 7.32am 'abdo loo[k]s full slightly loopy. Appeared uncomfortable after feed.'
Child O was checked and settled.
The day shift begins at 7.30am. During this shift, Child O died.

12:26pm

A rota for the day shift records four babies in nursery 1, three in nursery 2 - including Child O and Child P, three in room 3 and two in room 4.
Samantha O'Brien is the designated nurse in room 1 for the other triplet, Christopher Booth is the designated nurse for Child Q in room 1, Lucy Letby is the designated nurse for Child O and Child P and one other baby in room 2.

12:29pm

Letby records, for Child O:...'Observations within normal range...nil increased work of breathing. Donor EBM via NH[G] tube. Minimal milk aspirates obtained...'
Letby messages a colleague after 8.30am to say she had a student nurse in but 'no time to do anything'.
Letby adds: 'She's nice enough but bit hard going to start from scratch with everything when got 3 babies I don't know and 2 hourly. Ah well...'
The Whatsapp conversation continues over the following hour.

12:32pm

Dr Katarzyna Cooke records for Child O: 'No nursing concerns observations normal'.
The plan was to continue weaning Optiflow, establishing feeds and prescribing vitamins for Child O.
Letby messages a doctor colleague to ask if he will be present in the NNU after he has been at the clinic. The doctor replies he is.
Letby adds the student is 'glued to her'.

12:36pm

Letby messages the doctor: 'I lost my handover hset [sheet?] - fou[n]d it in the donor milk freezer!! (Clearly I should still be in Ibiza)'
The doctor adds he 'dropped some sweets off to keep everyone going'
Letby: 'Ahh wondered where they had come from'
Letby adds she had forgotten her sandwich, and jokingly asks if she can go home. The doctor replies there's a cheese roll going spare, then offers to get her something for lunch.
Letby replies: 'Tapas?'
She adds: 'It's ok thanks I've got a few bits with me'
Vitamins are prescribed for Child O.

Last edited:
12:41pm

The doctor records a brain scan for Child O at 12.10pm, noting normal observations.
Letby records a fluid chart at 12.30pm with 'trace aspirates'. A similar reading was recorded earlier that morning.
A doctor's clinical notes record at 1.15pm, Child O 'vomits and has distended abdomen. 'Trace aspirate...no bile 1x vomit post feed No blood'
'Unlikely NEC, most likely distention secondary to PMec.'
Letby records, for 1.15pm: '[Child O] had vomitted [undigested milk], tachycardiac and abdomen distended. NG tube placed on free drainage...blood gas poor as charted...saline bolus given as prescribed with antibiotics. Placed nil by mouth and abdominal x-ray performed. Observations returned to normal'

12:42pm

Letby messages a nurse colleague 'How's it going have you got some sun?' at 2.07pm.
The nurse replies: '...How's your day?'
Letby: "It's busy!!.."

Yes it's not clear is it, whether we are not hearing the defence or whether the only defence Myers' has is ripping apart Evans. He literally barely said a word on the insulin.
Well we are nearing the time now, where it's going to be Myers' chance to bring his masses of medical witnesses and alternative narrative.
He's going to need some very strong witnesses to cast doubt on Evans' theories.
Is Myers going to make the jury believe that this string of incidents were not attempts to harm these babies? Can he convince them that the most common theme here is not a killer but sub-optimal care, through and through?
Only there are two insulin sized elephants in the room that disrupt that theory massively.
My thoughts are if the jury believe LL is guilty of at least one of the non insulin cases, she's good a good chance of getting guilty on a good 75%

JMO
IMHO having read some info on Mr Myers and the past cases he has been involved in, he is too experienced to attack Dr Evans without good reason.

Either he has further things up his sleeve or he doesn't have much to work with so he is throwing whatever he can to try and muddy the water.

For my own perspective I don't see how the defence can win (aside from maybe a couple of the charges where evidence is less strong) without some kind of expert testimony of their own

IMHO having read some info on Mr Myers and the past cases he has been involved in, he is too experienced to attack Dr Evans without good reason.

Either he has further things up his sleeve or he doesn't have much to work with so he is throwing whatever he can to try and muddy the water.

For my own perspective I don't see how the defence can win (aside from maybe a couple of the charges where evidence is less strong) without some kind of expert testimony of their own
Agree I think BM has evidence that Dr E had been informed at the start that the consultants suspected air embolus.

In terms of experts, I also think they will have someone. But at the same time, my mind will always circle back to the insulin poisonings which I feel everything hinges on. JMO.

12:54pm

An x-ray report of 'possible onset of sepsis' by a consultant radiologist said Child O's appearance had improved on a subsequent image. 'NEC or mid gut volvulus cannot be excluded'.
The x-ray is not time stamped but is understood to have happened prior to Child O's collapse.
A doctor notes: 'Called to see [Child O] at [about] 1440. Desaturation, bradycardia and mottled. Bagged up and transferred to Nursery 1. Neopuff requirement in 100% oxygen...'
Letby records: 'Approx 1440 [Child O] had a profound desaturation to 30s followed by bradycardia. Mottled++ and abdomen red and distended...'
Shift leader Melanie Taylor is recorded as entering the neonatal unit at 2.46pm.
The doctor records Child O was intubated '1503-1508' 'at first attempt'.
Dr Stephen Brearey records for Child O at this time: 'small discoloured ? purpuric rash on right wall'
Child O suffered another event at 3.44pm, the court hears.
Bleep data for a crash call is made at 3.49pm.
A consultant writes a retrospective note '[Child O] had been intubated about 3pm when [doctor colleague's] fast bleep went off. Arrived to find [Child O] was being bagged. Desat to 35...'
Lucy Letby's note 'Drs crash called 15:51 due to desaturation to 30s with bradycardia, minimal chest movement and air entry observed. Reintubated...'

12:58pm

Morphine is administered to Child O.
A doctor records a further collapse for Child O at 4.15pm, and chest compressions commence.
Lucy Letby records, in notes written retrospectively at 8.35pm for 4.19pm: 'CPR commenced 16:19 and medications/fluids given as documented...IV fluids 10% glucose...morphine...'

I think that Myers has to throw everything at trying to discredit the expert medical witnesses, as their testimony is essentially what this case is based on. How successful he has been is debatable.

I think the defence will have experts of their own, but their expertise will be limited to specific medical aspects of the case. Like they might employ an expert on NEC to say that you couldn't rule out NEC for baby x,y,z. I don't think they will have medical experts that have reviewed every aspect of each case and come to a different conclusion, because they would have said if they had these.

The only thing that makes me doubt the defence have much up their sleeve is the time aspect. The trial is due to finish early May I believe? So around 8 weeks? We still have 3 babies left to go for the prosecution. Then I would assume they'll have something to say about the notes, what was found at her house etc. Closing speeches could take up to a week I'd imagine for both parties. There is a 2 week break for Easter, that leaves very little time for the defence. I know they can go longer if more time is needed etc, but this is what is expected at the moment. There is no way they will have time to go through each baby chronologically again, so I'm really curious to see what they do. MOO.

Letby adds there is a potential job opening on the unit which she believes she might be lined up for.

12:18pm

The doctor: 'If you didn't want it now, could you defer?'
Letby: 'Yes good to know and worth thinking about...& yes, I'm sure she would let me defer.'
Is she referring to being moved to clerical duties? Had she already been told she might be mving or was that not mentioned till after the last 3 collapses? In which case it'd be some other job she thought she was lined up for.

12:54pm

An x-ray report of 'possible onset of sepsis' by a consultant radiologist said Child O's appearance had improved on a subsequent image. 'NEC or mid gut volvulus cannot be excluded'.
The x-ray is not time stamped but is understood to have happened prior to Child O's collapse.
A doctor notes: 'Called to see [Child O] at [about] 1440. Desaturation, bradycardia and mottled. Bagged up and transferred to Nursery 1. Neopuff requirement in 100% oxygen...'
Letby records: 'Approx 1440 [Child O] had a profound desaturation to 30s followed by bradycardia. Mottled++ and abdomen red and distended...'
Shift leader Melanie Taylor is recorded as entering the neonatal unit at 2.46pm.
The doctor records Child O was intubated '1503-1508' 'at first attempt'.
Dr Stephen Brearey records for Child O at this time: 'small discoloured ? purpuric rash on right wall'
Child O suffered another event at 3.44pm, the court hears.
Bleep data for a crash call is made at 3.49pm.
A consultant writes a retrospective note '[Child O] had been intubated about 3pm when [doctor colleague's] fast bleep went off. Arrived to find [Child O] was being bagged. Desat to 35...'
Lucy Letby's note 'Drs crash called 15:51 due to desaturation to 30s with bradycardia, minimal chest movement and air entry observed. Reintubated...'

12:58pm

Morphine is administered to Child O.
A doctor records a further collapse for Child O at 4.15pm, and chest compressions commence.
Lucy Letby records, in notes written retrospectively at 8.35pm for 4.19pm: 'CPR commenced 16:19 and medications/fluids given as documented...IV fluids 10% glucose...morphine...'

We could do with knowing where the student nurse, that she told the doctor was "glued to her", was during these collapses.

Is she referring to being moved to clerical duties? Had she already been told she might be mving or was that not mentioned till after the last 3 collapses? In which case it'd be some other job she thought she was lined up for.
d
All JMO:

I can't imagine what this job opening might be. Nurses are never put on clerical duties unless there is a serious problem. They don't have the right skill set & are paid too much! We had a nurse who had a stroke where I worked, and though physically OK it affected her mental function, so she came back to work in reception.
Unless maybe it were a 'made up ' job, like co-ordinating students, staff training, something like that?

Judith Moritz tweeting again.

@JudithMoritz

I'm at Manchester Crown Court for the Lucy Letby trial which is now hearing evidence about a set of identical baby boy triplets. The nurse denies murdering two of the three babies, by injecting them with air. They can't be identified, so we are calling them babies O & P.
https://twitter.com/JudithMoritz
@JudithMoritz

1h

@JudithMoritz
The jury has been hearing evidence from the triplets’ parents. The babies were born one minute apart from each other in June 2016, and each weighed around 4lb. They were in good condition at birth and were cared for on the hospital’s neonatal unit.

@JudithMoritz
·
1h

In a statement read to the court, their mum said when the babies were two days old she was told that something was wrong with one of the triplets (baby 0). She said the unit “was a scene of chaos.. staff seemed to be in a state of panic and it didn’t seem to be controlled”
@JudithMoritz
1h

Baby O’s mother said that her son’s body was swollen. His father said that the baby’s stomach “looked like (the film character) ET”. He pointed to his hand, and cried, explaining “You could see his veins were all bright bright blue.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

Baby O died that evening. His mother said “the whole episode came like a bolt out of the blue. On the face of it everything had been going so well, it was never explained to us how it happened. As a family we were naturally devastated.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

The jury heard that 24 hours later the same kind of emergency happened with the second triplet and their mother said “it was like deja vu”. Their father said that as medical staff tried to save his son “it was pandemonium and absolutely mental.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

Baby P is said to have looked similar to his brother, with discolouration and prominent veins, although his stomach wasn’t swollen. The baby died that evening, just under 24 hours after his brother.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

The court heard that the triplets’ parents begged a hospital transfer team to take their third son to another hospital. Their father said “we said there’s no way he’s staying at this hospital. If you don’t take him, we’ll take him ourselves”. The baby was moved at their request.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

The parents said that Lucy Letby had brought the bodies of their two deceased babies to them, and had dressed them and made memory boxes of them...
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

... Their mother said “Lucy was extremely upset and emotional and in pieces and almost as upset as we were. She brought (the babies) to see us in a cooling basket. She was in floods of tears”.

The father’s comment as to the baby’s stomach “looked like (the film character) ET” kind of puts it into some kind of perspective imo. :(

Judith Moritz tweeting again.

@JudithMoritz

I'm at Manchester Crown Court for the Lucy Letby trial which is now hearing evidence about a set of identical baby boy triplets. The nurse denies murdering two of the three babies, by injecting them with air. They can't be identified, so we are calling them babies O & P.
@JudithMoritz

1h

@JudithMoritz
The jury has been hearing evidence from the triplets’ parents. The babies were born one minute apart from each other in June 2016, and each weighed around 4lb. They were in good condition at birth and were cared for on the hospital’s neonatal unit.

@JudithMoritz
·
1h

In a statement read to the court, their mum said when the babies were two days old she was told that something was wrong with one of the triplets (baby 0). She said the unit “was a scene of chaos.. staff seemed to be in a state of panic and it didn’t seem to be controlled”
@JudithMoritz
1h

Baby O’s mother said that her son’s body was swollen. His father said that the baby’s stomach “looked like (the film character) ET”. He pointed to his hand, and cried, explaining “You could see his veins were all bright bright blue.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

Baby O died that evening. His mother said “the whole episode came like a bolt out of the blue. On the face of it everything had been going so well, it was never explained to us how it happened. As a family we were naturally devastated.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

The jury heard that 24 hours later the same kind of emergency happened with the second triplet and their mother said “it was like deja vu”. Their father said that as medical staff tried to save his son “it was pandemonium and absolutely mental.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

Baby P is said to have looked similar to his brother, with discolouration and prominent veins, although his stomach wasn’t swollen. The baby died that evening, just under 24 hours after his brother.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

The court heard that the triplets’ parents begged a hospital transfer team to take their third son to another hospital. Their father said “we said there’s no way he’s staying at this hospital. If you don’t take him, we’ll take him ourselves”. The baby was moved at their request.
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

The parents said that Lucy Letby had brought the bodies of their two deceased babies to them, and had dressed them and made memory boxes of them...
@JudithMoritz
·
1h

... Their mother said “Lucy was extremely upset and emotional and in pieces and almost as upset as we were. She brought (the babies) to see us in a cooling basket. She was in floods of tears”.

The father’s comment as to the baby’s stomach “looked like (the film character) ET” kind of puts it into some kind of perspective imo. :(
IMO the parents evidence is going to favour the defence in some ways. The fact that they didn't trust the hospital does not look good. The hand washing thing is pretty shocking, if true.

What would be very interesting to know is to what extent, by this time, awareness that LL was 'suspicious' or that the baby collapses were 'suspicious' was part of the 'panic' from hospital staff.

Curious also that messages to LL so far contain no speculation from others about what was happening. Was she out of the loop? Was the doctor unaware? Or was he fishing???

I’m hoping to hear more from the students testimony (if possible) too. It doesn’t sound great parents are reporting (as another parent did) about hand washing, but also doctors and nurses Googling procedures- whilst seemingly having to supervise (what sounds like) an “unsure” student. But there’s also the amount of time LL sounds to be messaging a lot. I can well visualise carnage just from the parents statement. Just so very sad :(

IMO the parents evidence is going to favour the defence in some ways. The fact that they didn't trust the hospital does not look good. The hand washing thing is pretty shocking, if true.

What would be very interesting to know is to what extent, by this time, awareness that LL was 'suspicious' or that the baby collapses were 'suspicious' was part of the 'panic' from hospital staff.

Curious also that messages to LL so far contain no speculation from others about what was happening. Was she out of the loop? Was the doctor unaware? Or was he fishing???
That’s the second time hand hygiene has been brought up by parents :confused:. I have twins and the littlest one was taken to NICU as he couldn’t maintain his body temperature and was in there for a few days. I recall being shown a sanitiser dispenser on the wall as you went into the unit and being told to use it on entry, this was in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcee