UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O'Donoghue

@MrDanDonoghue
·

I'll be brining live updates from Manchester Crown Court today, where the murder trial of nurse Lucy Letby continues. We'll be hearing evidence in relation to the deaths of Child O and Child P in June 2016.

Ms Letby is accused of killing the brothers, who were triplets, within a 24hr period at the Countess of Chester Hospital. The prosecution say Ms Letby murdered the boys by injecting air into their bloodstreams. She denies all charges.

First in the witness box is Dr Huw Mayberry, via live link from Australia. He is recalling his night shift of June 22 into 23 2016 and his examination of Child O that night - yesterday we heard from a nurse Sophie Ellis, who told the court he was 'stable' throughout that night

2:36 AM · Mar 9, 2023

Dr Mayberry agrees with the nurse's observation, he says he remembers coming back on for his second night shift on 23 June and 'was obviously very shocked' to hear Child O had died that day. 'I felt that he was very well', he said

https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue/status/1633779148257632256/analytics

Dr Mayberry is asked if he saw anything to indicate Child O was in discomfort, during the early hours of June 22, he says 'not at all'
https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue
@MrDanDonoghue

Ben Myers KC, defending, is now questioning Dr Mayberry - he says 'do you actually have an independent recollection of how (Child O) was that you saw him?' 'Yes', he says Mr Myers says 'you have no notes of your own to rely on, do you?' 'No', he responded

Dr Mayberry doesn't have any notes as he was crash bleeped away from Child O's cotside in the early hours of 22 June to attend another baby - only record of his examination was recorded by nurse Ellis

Mr Myers notes that between 10am on the morning of 22 and 9.30am on the morning of 23 June there is no clinical notes for Child O, he asks if that is standard practice He responds 'if you have a child were you are not concerned about them then it would not be unusual'

Dr Mayberry does say he was asked by a senior doctor why he had not made a note about his examination in the early hours - he tells the court he should have made one

I feel if guilty LL has chosen some babies where there have been a possibility of mild problems...eg blood sugar problems, swollen abdomen..? Nec ..and jumped on those possibilities and used them for her advantage...so I feel there may be incidents where similar problems were there but not fatal.

To me the most damning is the suddenness of the deteriorations and the fact they have been impossible or very difficult to resuscitate

I feel if guilty LL has chosen some babies where there have been a possibility of mild problems...eg blood sugar problems, swollen abdomen..? Nec ..and jumped on those possibilities and used them for her advantage...so I feel there may be incidents where similar problems were there but not fatal.

To me the most damning is the suddenness of the deteriorations and the fact they have been impossible or very difficult to resuscitate
Yeah I can see that, especially if people are messaging her before her shifts 'oh we've got a baby with so and so in today' she already is aware of them before her shifts at times.

She may be a lot of things but I don't think she's stupid, if she's guilty she's certainly been 'clever' in how she's gone about things for a while

Yeah I can see that, especially if people are messaging her before her shifts 'oh we've got a baby with so and so in today' she already is aware of them before her shifts at times.

She may be a lot of things but I don't think she's stupid, if she's guilty she's certainly been 'clever' in how she's gone about things for a while

If she's guilty, do you think she has lapsed into recklessness with the triplets? It would seem that way to me.

If she's guilty, do you think she has lapsed into recklessness with the triplets? It would seem that way to me.
I think she's certainly slipped at other times, for example saying a baby looked pale when she couldn't possibly see that, and Dr J 'catching' her stood watching a baby desat but it's certainly getting a little more out of hand with the triplets in my opinion. Maybe Ibiza had thrown her off.

Serial killers often accelerate, or you could say degenerate, into more rapid sprees of homicide in their later phases.
I think a ton of crimes go this way, for example if you steal 10p from the till and nobody notices, next time you feel bolder to steal 20p and so on. Then at a certain point it may be 'boring' to keep doing risky activities and feel no element of risk and nobody seems to notice or care; so you may purposely introduce your own element of risk such as doing it whilst someone is watching to get an adrenaline rush, and if you still don't get caught you basically feel invincible to do more and more.

I think she's certainly slipped at other times, for example saying a baby looked pale when she couldn't possibly see that, and Dr J 'catching' her stood watching a baby desat but it's certainly getting a little more out of hand with the triplets in my opinion. Maybe Ibiza had thrown her off.
True. Also suggesting a baby can swallow air when vomiting & not knowing what an air embolus is. No doubt there are other examples here & there.

I'll be brining live updates from Manchester Crown Court today, where the murder trial of nurse Lucy Letby continues. We'll be hearing evidence in relation to the deaths of Child O and Child P in June 2016.

First in the witness box is Dr Huw Mayberry, via live link from Australia. He is recalling his night shift of June 22 into 23 2016 and his examination of Child O that night - yesterday we heard from a nurse Sophie Ellis, who told the court he was 'stable' throughout that night

Dr Mayberry agrees with the nurse's observation, he says he remembers coming back on for his second night shift on 23 June and 'was obviously very shocked' to hear Child O had died that day. 'I felt that he was very well', he said

Dr Mayberry is asked if he saw anything to indicate Child O was in discomfort, during the early hours of June 22, he says 'not at all'

Ben Myers KC, defending, is now questioning Dr Mayberry - he says 'do you actually have an independent recollection of how (Child O) was that you saw him?' 'Yes', he says Mr Myers says 'you have no notes of your own to rely on, do you?' 'No', he responded

Dr Mayberry doesn't have any notes as he was crash bleeped away from Child O's cotside in the early hours of 22 June to attend another baby - only record of his examination was recorded by nurse E

Last edited:
Maybe not the case in an unit offering sub-par care. Which this one was.

Even the parents in this case are critical of the care.

My own personal opinion - even "subpar" care should not result in a need for resuscitation let alone death in a situation like this. These were healthy 33 week babies, on minimal respiratory support. Feed them, provide basic respiratory support as needed, basic thermoregulation, mom & dad hold them.... nothing complicated or difficult... just stay out of the way and they should grow.

Mr Myers notes that between 10am on the morning of 22 and 9.30am on the morning of 23 June there is no clinical notes for Child O, he asks if that is standard practice He responds 'if you have a child were you are not concerned about them then it would not be unusual'

Dr Mayberry does say he was asked by a senior doctor why he had not made a note about his examination in the early hours - he tells the court he should have made one

Mr Myers repeats that without a note, it's difficult for him to recall all details of examination and Child O's condition. Dr Mayberry says 'if I could go back I would write it'

Dr Mayberry says he does remember being 'shocked' at Child O's deterioration the following day

Prosecution are asking Dr Mayberry further questions - they've asked him to spell out his responsibilities for the night of 22 June. He tells the court he was a registrar on call for four different units, neonatal, birthing, general paediatrics and emergency dep

Dr Kataryna Cooke is now in the witness box - she was a senior house officer at the Countess of Chester from 2015-2017. She is asked if she has an independent memory of her involvement with Child O's care - 'the only thing I remember was it was around Brexit referendum'

She is now referring back to her notes. She went on a ward round on the morning of 23 June - a note on her examination of Child O at 9.30am, shown to the court, state 'observations normal'

The notes state that he was moving onto a lighter form of breathing support, which was a 'positive sign'. Antibiotics were also stopped for suspected sepsis - Dr Cooke says most premature babies are screened for sepsis

sked for her overall observations about Child O that morning, Dr Cooke says 'from the notes it doesn’t appear like I had any concerns about (Child O) and his clinical course was uncomplicated and he was making good progress'

The court is told that Child O was later found with a hematoma in his liver (which is an accumulation of blood). Dr Cooke is asked whether that could have been present at time of her examination at 9.30am

She says if that hematoma was present her 'review wouldn’t be normal, by which I mean observations would suggest baby is undergoing deterioration as oppose to normal observations and no concerns from night team or nursing team'

The judge clarifies that the hematoma was found post-mortem and that it's not alleged the hematoma was in existence at the time of her examination. Ben Myers KC, defending, agrees - saying they are not alleging it was present at that time

The court has previously heard that on post mortem un-clotted blood was found in abdominal space from a liver injury. There was damage in multiple locations on and in the liver which had bled into the peritoneal cavity

Nurse Melanie Taylor is now in the witness box recalling the events of 23 June

Ms Taylor is asked how Child O was on that morning, from reviewing her notes she said 'I had no concerns about him, obviously he was premature....we felt he was stable at the beginning of the shift'

Ms Taylor has told the court that afternoon - around middayish - she recalls seeing Child O. 'I remember I thought I don’t think he looks as well as he did before'. She told the court she suggested to Ms Letby that he be moved to nursery 1 for closer observations

Ms Taylor said that Ms Letby said 'no, she felt he was okay and wanted to keep him in nursery 2 and wanted to keep the three triplets together' - Ms Taylor says she felt she was 'put out' by this

'I couldn’t put my finger on it, I just had a gut instinct I didn’t feel like he was as well', Ms Taylor said. Ms Taylor said she 'felt like (Ms Letby) was undermining my decision'

Child O remained on nursery 2 until he collapsed later that afternoon and moved to nursery 1. He eventually needed resuscitation, which was unsuccessful - Ms Taylor said she was surprised by the severity of his collapse

Ms Taylor has finished giving evidence. Judge has asked the jury to temporarily retire while he 'gets an update on the weather' and whether we can continue this afternoon

Court has now adjourned until tomorrow morning (due to concerns over weather/traffic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pearl lemon