UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

This is a trial thread, not a general discussion thread.

Although WS is based in the USA, we do try to manage the various discussions according to laws of other countries.

As this trial is in the UK, the case is under sub judice so please stick to discussing the trial content without posting anything that violates the following principles:

Basically anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any suggestion, opinion, or direct accusations that the accused is either guilty OR innocent
(i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer"; use "the accused", "the alleged killer", or "the defendant")
A defendant’s previous history of any offences is off limits
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits
Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits

Note in the event of an Appeal subsequent to verdict:

Appeals are usually heard by senior judges who are not likely to be influenced by the media, therefore responsible comment is usually considered acceptable once a trial has concluded, regardless of if there is going to be an appeal.

Reference: UK Contempt of Court Act 1981

Jumping in apologies it's my first post. I work within nursing so have an interest in this case.

I've found the opening statement poor so far and full of circumstantial evidence. The handover sheet thing it's very common to have full pockets and be in a rush to leave after a 12.5 hour shift. I could absolutely see how a handover sheet could accidentally be taken home.

The Facebook thing needs clarification did she search for lots of patients families or just the ones she supposedly attacked ? I am a member of different groups related to my practice on SM. I also go help colleagues with patients not assigned to me because I like to help and I enjoy teamwork. A patient has also died after a long illness and I got upset when the room was empty, I felt a bit better when a new patient occupied the room.

I get the impression LL lived to work and was a workaholic. I wonder if she did overtime as that would skew the statistics, the defence will surely bring this up. Her defence is very good and has a good reputation at securing not guilty verdicts.

I guess we will have to see but I'm not convinced so far.
That's a very good post. The section about your feelings when someone had died in a room being essentially identical to what LL had said I think is very relevant. What might seem strange or "off" to someone with no experience of that profession and lifestyle might be entirely reasonable to someone who does.

These are the dangers of circumstantial evidence which is presented to people who do not have the skills or experience to evaluate it.

While not fatal, this bothers me the most from yesterday's evidence:

The prosecution say that, within a minute or two of looking at the mother of Child G on Facebook, she then looked at the mums of two other babies listed in the charges.

One was the mum who, the prosecution said, "interrupted the attack" by Letby on Child E.

Searching indiscriminately for families could very easily be innocent. As could checking in on families where the baby had died, but Child E had suffered a comparatively modest setback. Why group her mentally with those other families?

On the other side the effect of the large passage of time continues to loom large, the prosecutor seems to be putting great weight on the witnesses memory or not as it suits, and the notes when it suits.

You say “multiple similar unusual incidents”. Multiple, yes; unusual: some do show some peculiar feature (interpreted as sinister by the prosecution) but otherwise not really unusual at all. Patients who appear to be doing well do occasionally take a surprising turn for the worst! Similar: no! I’m reminded of Lucia de Berk, who used (according to the board of three judges who convicted her) a stunning variety of methods to kill, some of them still unknown; the judges interpreted this as showing how evil and cunning she was. The main evidence was a digoxin finding, now discredited, together with seemingly weird (but explainable) things she wrote in her diary, and some lies in her application form to go to nursing school. LL, about multiple: some are repeated incidents with the same baby, or members of the same premature triplet. (Same with Lucia de Berk).
As I say, the statement about her texts and wanting to be in that particular room after a baby had died seemed very strange and quite frankly rather weird. Having had someone in a near identical situation say an essentially identical thing about their own experience sheds a very different light on her statements. It's difficult to appreciate what constitutes "normal" in extreme circumstances which are have not experienced yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapeCodTodd