UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
3:52pm
The oxygen saturation of 85% was 'good' for Child K minutes after birth, for a baby of her gestational age, and good enough to attempt intubation.

Dr James Smith said if he had seen any evidence of trauma or bleeding, he would have asked a consultant to step in and carry out the procedure.

Nurse Joanne Williams said a team would carry out the procedure, and the ET Tube would be secured so the tube does not slip.

Child K was transferred to the neonatal unit on a Resuscitaire, with the plan to transfer to a tertiary unit.

3:56pm
Mr Myers referred to a leak on the ventilator in his closing speech. An Alder Hey consultant said the air leak numbers "did not tally" with the high oxygen saturation readings for Child K. Joanne Williams said if Child K was not receiving the oxygen saturation required, the alarms would have gone off.

Surfactant was administered, which Dr Smith agreed was "late" by 13 or 18 minutes, but would not have compromised Child K.

4:00pm

The trial judge confirms the jury will not be starting deliberations on Thursday, as he will not have completed his summing up until Monday. He says that will happen 'earlier rather than later' on Monday, July 10.

He says the court will resume 10.30am-4pm tomorrow.

Did we ever hear more about why they decided nobody would have Baby I for more than one shift ?

In WhatsApp messages read to the court, Letby asked a colleague on the afternoon of October 14 if Child I was staying on the unit.

She added: “I’d like to keep her please.”

Her colleague, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, replied: “Yes. Staying for now. OK re keeping.”

An hour later the colleague messaged: “I’ve had to reallocate. Sorry.”

Letby said: “Has something happened?”

The colleague replied: “No. Was just asked to reallocate so no one has her for more than 1 night at a time. Or 1 shift. Not just night.” Letby responded: “Yeah that’s understandable.”

The Crown says Letby, originally from Hereford, murdered Child I in the early hours of October 23.

It was said to be her fourth attempt to deliberately harm the baby after earlier bids on September 30, October 13 and 14.

Not sure we did. The implication is that there was some concern from the unit manager, but we may never know. It's certainly intriguing.

I think a certain little lady is raging about the loss of control in the summing up. The picture painted by the judge is not one I would ever hang on my wall. When the verdict is announced I expect we will see the gnashing of teeth and a volcano of fury.

So,
it seems the Jurors are forbidden to talk about the case among themselves, even when all together separate from others (before formal deliberations).

Also,
did the Judge hint that his Summing Up might proceed into the next week?
That was my impression.
I think that that is just a reporting error, tbh. Legally, they can discuss it if all together and there is no possibility of being overheard. OTOH, I suppose that the judge may have made an order not to discuss it at all for some reason or other?

It was an odd statement I thought also as if they are alone / all together and cannot be overheard that has always been allowed. The judge generally will say no discussing or research after the end of a court day so who knows.
I agree about the gnashing of teeth and IF convicted I am putting money on her refusing to come up for sentencing.
She’s a coward.
JMO

I think that that is just a reporting error, tbh. Legally, they can discuss it if all together and there is no possibility of being overheard. OTOH, I suppose that the judge may have made an order not to discuss it at all for some reason or other?

Maybe just an extra precaution because of both the length and nature of the trial so as to preclude opinions being shared and speculated upon prior to the judge's summation being heard? So they have the whole picture before they get to the business end of the trial. And it could of course just be a recent order/request relating to the afore-mentioned summation, dating from that, not one that applied throughout the trial. That would make sense.

This jury certainly has had the most demanding ask of it. Not just the time and effort put in but also the restrictions imposed on them over that time period. Bravo to them for sticking with it.

It'll be 9 months to the day on the 10th July.

Last edited:
It was an odd statement I thought also as if they are alone / all together and cannot be overheard that has always been allowed. The judge generally will say no discussing or research after the end of a court day so who knows.

JMO
Well
I still remember this "horror story" o_O from a WS poster about a Court clerk with his ear against a door eavesdropping the Jury's conversations and...
telling all to some barristers who merrily drank ale in a tavern gossiping about the deliberations!

My Goodness!

Anyone, remember?

Last edited:
If any case might have some doubts, this case of Baby H could, because of the needles left in the chest. that is something that seems might cause a collapse, IMO. And is actually a real example of sub-optimal care.
After my memory being refreshed by the updates today, I have to agree. One of the main points made by the prosecution that I find the most damning in this case is:

Letby said, in evidence, ruled out staffing levels as an issue, but said there was "potential incompetence" in relation to where the chest drains were located. She recorded at 2210 Child H had a desaturation at the time of the heel prick, and serous fluid++ was recorded on the drains. She added the SHO was informed. There was no note by an SHO. The prosecution say Letby falsified notes, and there was an error on the timing on the blood transfusion note. Letby, in evidence, said these were mistakes, and she was not deliberately fabricating them. She denied sabotaging the drains, and said they had not been stitched in place.

From the prosecution case…

2:19pm

A morphine bolus is administered to Child H at 1.30am on September 26, and the blood transfusion is recorded by Letby as being completed at 2am.
However, a separate, handwritten paper record shows the blood transfusion having been completed at 3.05am. This separate record is not signed by anyone.

3:22pm

Letby messages her colleague, for Child H, 'I've been helping Shelley [Tomlins, designated nurse for Child H that night] so least still involved but haven't got the responsibility'.

The falsifying notes (allegedly) aswell as making up doctors visits that never happened, the unusual mottling and Facebook searches plus the apparent need to be involved with some of the babies are a common thread running through this whole case, I’m wondering if this could be an example of using similarities to other babies to decide guilt?
MOO

I also noticed this bit (bolded) about LL showing the message of praise from YG to another colleague and asking how to respond. I hadn’t noticed this detail before and find it unusual that she’d actually want to know how to respond to a compliment. IMO it almost seems it was done to gloat or show off that she’d received this message. This is JMO though I just found it strange as it seems LL wanted others to know that she’d been complimented IMO. Even the colleague was surprised?

This is after baby H’s first collapse, and just hours before baby H’s second collapse. If guilty, IMO this could feed into the idea that LL was thriving off the attention she was getting for being involved in these incidents, and may have caused more in order to prove herself as ‘the best nurse’…
All MOO

2:54pm

A series of messages recovered from Letby's phone, of messages sent to and from her phone at around 9am on September 26, are shown to the court. They include Letby's colleague Yvonne Griffiths commending Letby for "all your hard work these last few nights". She says Letby "composed" herself "very well during a stressful situation" and it was "nice to see" her "confidence grow" as she advanced throughout her career.
Letby shows this message to a colleague and asks her how she should reply. Her colleague expresses surprise. A series of messages are exchanged between Letby and the colleague acknowledging there had previously been "bitchiness" among staff and there had been "comments" about Letby regarding her role which Letby had found "upsetting".

Last edited:
These threads together are enough to make a Baptism Dress, First Holy Communion Dress, Confirmation wear and a full wedding dress. But in this sad case they all lead to death shrouds pain and misery!

For me, one of the biggest pieces of evidence for baby H was that her mum and dad and grandparent were with her until very late, the dad left just before midnight, and after they'd all gone LL reported to Dr Ventress that baby H had had a few serious desaturations in the last two hours and been seen by the SHO, which the parents didn't see happening and wasn't recorded by the SHO either, and there were no concerns shown in her observations charts that evening either.

So the prosecution say she invented the deterioration she reported to Dr Ventress to build up to her later collapse after midnight, and it's yet another case where her account is different from the parents' agreed evidence. The prosecution say she pulled out one of the drains after the parents left, causing a desaturation, because Dr Ventress saw it was almost out and had to push it back in.

For the second night with baby H, LL sent that text saying she was helping Shelley so didn't have the responsibility that night. She was there for the collapses and the doctor assumed she was the designated nurse. This time the father was staying at the hospital, had been with her all day and there weren't any problems, but soon after he left to get some sleep in the parents' room he had a knock on the door because she'd collapsed again. It's in the patterns. IMO

I think a certain little lady is raging about the loss of control in the summing up. The picture painted by the judge is not one I would ever hang on my wall. When the verdict is announced I expect we will see the gnashing of teeth and a volcano of fury.

I mean no disrespect here but I'm struggling with what seems to me, from your posts, like jubilation at the idea that LL, if found guilty, might lose control and provide high drama in the courtroom. Is that actually what you want to see? What you need to see? In order for you to feel that she's getting her just deserts?

As someone on the fence from the off (albeit not someone wearing a blindfold or with my fingers in my ears singing lalala to drown out the evidence noise), I just want justice to be done. And I feel it will be. If she's guilty and found guilty of what she's been charged with, then that's enough for me. I don't need to see her face when the verdict, if guilty, is read out.

I just don't get this need to see her fall apart publicly in the way you seem to want her to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member