UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guarantee you one thing. Some serious cheddar is being spent by LL and her parents on her defence. 6 month trial? Jeez
I was wondering that too. But was told defence in criminal court is free and the barrister would've been arranged by her solicitor. I thought for free you just get someone out of law school not a top barrister like him?

12:44pm

It doesn't show 'whether Lucy Letby was anywhere near to a child at the time of the event' or if there was 'a problem which could be traced before Letby's arrival'.

In capital letters around the note you can see the words HOPE PANIC FEAR also HATE - with a circle drawn around it.

Ben Myers KC tells the jury " we suggest that anyone who reads this fully with an ounce of understanding sees that it's the anguished outpouring of fear when she realised the enormity of what she was being accused of..

I was wondering that too. But was told defence in criminal court is free and the barrister would've been arranged by her solicitor. I thought for free you just get someone out of law school not a top barrister like him?
I am leaning towards LL and her family are paying an astronomical amount of money for this defence, that most people, if able to, would have to sell their homes for. And that might still not cover the bill.

EDIT: If LL is found not guilty, all of her defence costs are paid for by the court.

BBM

I wouldn't have thought so, not for a case of this gravity and consequence. IMO.

12:49pm

Regarding the medical evidence, Mr Myers said: "The cause of the deteriorations, or deaths, is not clear and have a number of possibilities.
"Generally, we are dealing with babies who are fragile, and their condition can change and deteriorate very rapidly."
Mr Myers adds the premature and vulnerable babies can come with developmental conditions that require extra treatment, and are prone to infections.
"It is crucial to consider the starting point in these cases.
"There is a question to whether this hospital should have been caring for this number of children."

"What we are left with is coincidence.

"In the events that happened. Sometimes what happened was the result of deterioration in a baby.

"Sometimes, no-one can say what caused a deterioration.

"Sometimes, things have gone wrong, or the necessary standards of care have not been met, irrespective of anything to do with Lucy Letby. For that, she should not get the blame."

Exactly as I said previously, defence going down the route of ‘coincidence’.

I’ll repeat…I’m finding it very difficult to buy into the ‘coincidence’ theory/reasoning (that I’m sure the defence will use). in cases of isolated incidents, absolutely. However, for 7 deaths and 15 near-deaths to occur in little over a years period under the care/eye of one staff member (who in a large number of the instances wasn’t even their designated nurse) is damning (IMO). Especially when in some instances these were infants who had been otherwise ‘well’ then suddenly deteriorated with no known cause. Additionally, many of these infants ‘collapsed’ in similar manners and presented with similar symptoms (mottling/vomiting/air in abdomen etc). Also, in the attempted murder charges - these infants made remarkable recoveries when removed from LL’s care.

That to me is no coincidence. (Again, MOO).

Edited to add: quote above from The Leader Live (live trial coverage) LIVE: Prosecution to finish outlining its case in Lucy Letby trial

We've only heard the Crowns opening statement and about 5 mins of the defence...day 3 of 180'ish.

The defence only need to create just enough doubt by the penultimate chapter in this tragic story and LL may walk out of that court an innocent woman.

Of course, the Crown may prove otherwise....but not today.

Last edited:
12:50pm

Mr Myers: "We suggest whether an event that clearly fits an ongoing and difficult condition has been covnerted into an event of deep suspicion that harm is being done."

12:52pm

For a nurse standing in the neonatal unit next to an infant is "unremarkable", without a "suspicion of guilt", Mr Myers tells the court.
"When we come to the experts, you will need to consider their evidence and how strong it is."

I'm wondering what LL's parents are thinking through all this. They are there in court every day so I'm assuming that means they believe she is innocent?

This must be extremely painful for them, especially seeing those notes she allegedly wrote.

Either their child is being wrongfully accused of the murder of babies, or their child actually did kill babies. Both of those realities are horrific.

12:49pm

Regarding the medical evidence, Mr Myers said: "The cause of the deteriorations, or deaths, is not clear and have a number of possibilities.
"Generally, we are dealing with babies who are fragile, and their condition can change and deteriorate very rapidly."
Mr Myers adds the premature and vulnerable babies can come with developmental conditions that require extra treatment, and are prone to infections.
"It is crucial to consider the starting point in these cases.
"There is a question to whether this hospital should have been caring for this number of children."

I fail to understand how a baby can be clinically stable, as supported by medical evidence, and then suddenly take a massive downturn in condition after LL has allegedly been in contact with them or around them, and have that be fobbed off as a poorly baby having a sudden turn with no human intervention causing it.

I'm wondering what LL's parents are thinking through all this. They are there in court every day so I'm assuming that means they believe she is innocent?

This must be extremely painful for them, especially seeing those notes she allegedly wrote.

Either their child is being wrongfully accused of the murder of babies, or their child actually did kill babies. Both of those realities are horrific.

I don't see how they can think she's innocent. She wrote a confession. Unless they think she is not guilty by reason of insanity.

I'm more concerned for the dead babies' families.
They are the actual victims.

12m ago12:44

'No evidence' these attacks took place, defence says​

Defence KC Ben Myers is now addressing why a number of medical notes were found in Lucy Letby's possession following a search of her house.
He says she did not have them for a "sinister motive" but she was a person who "scribbled things down" and a person who "hangs onto bits of paper".
He then turns to the "coincidence" involved in the case.
"We say there is an assumption that someone is doing deliberate harm," he tells the court.
"There is no evidence of the actual events being alleged."
From using syringes to injecting air, tampering with bags of fluid or in some other way poisoning, physically assaulting children, or smothering them - the defence says there is no evidence that these attacks took place.
He returns to the case of Child E, whose mother - the prosecution said - walked in on Letby attacking her child.
Mr Myers says the evidence will not bear this out.
"The assumption of harm" and the assumption Letby is behind the harm has made the allegations "self-fulfilling".

Now12:58

Defence questions standard of care at Countess of Chester Hospital​

Defence KC Ben Myers is now telling the jury there were shortcomings at the Countess of Chester Hospital that cannot be attributed to Letby.
"There is a question of whether this hospital should have been looking after all these children, and whether it did so to the required standard," My Myers tells the court.
"For a nurse in the neonatal unit, standing there when a child is unwell is unremarkable," he says.
"Her presence alone is now treated as sinister."

Lucy Letby trial - latest: Nurse's defence begins - after her handwritten 'confessions' read in court

12:55pm

The defence say there are five 'important' considerations for the evidence:
  • The birth condition of the infant.
  • If there were any problems in the care leading up to the event - events 'can come up from nowhere'
  • Whether the prosecution expert evidence concludes there was delibate harm done
  • Whether Lucy Letby was resent at the relevant time, and what she was doing
  • Whether there were failings in care by other people or the neonatal unit as a whole

In my opinion the note doesn't even show guilt or she feels bad.

Rather she is admitting she is evil, and if this note is true maybe people like that cannot feel sympathy, it feels to me like the true inners of her

It's not looking good for LL so far but I'm personally still holding some space for the scapegoat theory. Regarding the notes, she might have been having a breakdown as a result of the allegations (a normal person would surely?, I would!) and be running through her mind all the terrible fears that she's caused the deaths by not being a good enough nurse and that people will think she's evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper