UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.

I was struggling to piece together timeline of cases presented so far as I feel even this early on there's already been so much information. Hopefully this can serve as some sort of timeline that can be edited by others and reposted as needed to keep everyone orientated to the prosecution case:

My understanding so far.

Child A- Dies 8th June

Child B- Becomes unwell and recovers 9th June

Child C- Dies 14th June

Child D- ‘June 2015’- Collapsed 3 times and dies

Child E- August 3rd becomes unwell. Dies early hours of August 4th

Child F- August 5th, TPN bag started, multiple episodes of low blood sugar needing treatment

Child G- September 2015- attempted murder, 3 attempts. Suffered irreversible brain damage

It goes without saying, but whatever the cause of these events, my heart goes out to families of these children.
Is it possible to pin this to the top of the thread - does anyone know? And maybe we can all update this one instead of creating separate posts - so it's all in one place. Fab idea, thank you.

Is it possible to pin this to the top of the thread - does anyone know? And maybe we can all update this one instead of creating separate posts - so it's all in one place. Fab idea, thank you.
Won't work for an incomplete timeline because members can't edit the post themselves and Mods are far too busy to constantly be editing a timeline. We can only pin a complete timeline, not one that is under constant revision.

I would also like to make a point regarding the Facebook searches, and just ask people to remember that there's other reasons for these searches rather than just 1: Serial killer, 2: Obsessed/struggling to cope worker.

This sounds like an incredibly tough job to do, and I can't imagine being responsible for a baby that dies and then moving on to looking after a different baby the next day. It must be hard.

It's understandable to me that someone might make them searches as a way of coping with grief, and may not be done for entirely unhealthy/stalker/malevolent reasons.

Now that's not to say that makes this person not guilty, but just am important point to make I think.
I don't think her reasons matter at all really. In a health care profession, your duty towards your patients' health, safety, privacy matter more than your personal needs and wants. And that includes any intrusion on their personal space and life they have not consented to. If you were to ask the parents how they felt about being tracked on FB - what would they think and feel? That's what anyone should be concerned with. Just because we feel a certain way, doesn't give us the right to act on it. That's why healthcare professionals receive extensive training on these points, to not let emotions affect their professionalism and duty.

I agree, on its own, it doesn't speak to any motive necessarily. And being unprofessional/unethical doesn't mean criminal. But it shouldn't be dismissed as 'everyone does it, so it's ok'. No one should be doing it frankly and if clinical performance was measured more stringently (like they do in other settings - teaching/policing/banking etc), there'd be a lot more reprimands and disciplinary action.

I agree ...what we really need to know is did LL search many other Facebook parents from her work or predominantly the babies on the charge list
I think it's more pertinent to know whether her searches only related to the ones who had serious problems, rather than the ones only on the charge sheet. I mean, it seems unlikely the she'd be searching for every family, after all. You might want to make these searches in relation to the very sick ones whether you were guilty or not - the searches could be interpreted in either direction as far as guilt (or not) is concerned.

I won't be able to do updates today but I can maybe catch up on them periodically if nobody else can.

Chester Standard:

Looks like Sky News are back too:

I think it's more pertinent to know whether her searches only related to the ones who had serious problems, rather than the ones only on the charge sheet. I mean, it seems unlikely the she'd be searching for every family, after all. You might want to make these searches in relation to the very sick ones whether you were guilty or not - the searches could be interpreted in either direction as far as guilt (or not) is concerned.
Yes she would be unlikely to search every parent she came into contact with. Many of her patients will have been in serious conditions due her job so if she was searching for reasons other than "her victims" it would be reasonable to expect quite a few other searches alongside the babies here

I don't think her reasons matter at all really. In a health care profession, your duty towards your patients' health, safety, privacy matter more than your personal needs and wants. And that includes any intrusion on their personal space and life they have not consented to. If you were to ask the parents how they felt about being tracked on FB - what would they think and feel? That's what anyone should be concerned with. Just because we feel a certain way, doesn't give us the right to act on it. That's why healthcare professionals receive extensive training on these points, to not let emotions affect their professionalism and duty.

I agree, on its own, it doesn't speak to any motive necessarily. And being unprofessional/unethical doesn't mean criminal. But it shouldn't be dismissed as 'everyone does it, so it's ok'. No one should be doing it frankly and if clinical performance was measured more stringently (like they do in other settings - teaching/policing/banking etc), there'd be a lot more reprimands and disciplinary action.
I agree with you. It's unprofessional and intrusive. I was coming more from the angle of your second paragraph in that it doesn't make the person criminal, but also to go one step further, it doesn't make the person some sort of beast or outcast IMO. I guess I was just saying I could understand why a 'normal' person might do that under certain circumstances.

Won't work for an incomplete timeline because members can't edit the post themselves and Mods are far too busy to constantly be editing a timeline. We can only pin a complete timeline, not one that is under constant revision.
I've started a Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION* thread. The timeline can be posted there with new posts containing updates/revisions, and we'll link the Media, Maps & Timeline thread it in the OP of these trial threads.

I agree, on its own, it doesn't speak to any motive necessarily. And being unprofessional/unethical doesn't mean criminal. But it shouldn't be dismissed as 'everyone does it, so it's ok'. No one should be doing it frankly and if clinical performance was measured more stringently (like they do in other settings - teaching/policing etc), there'd be a lot more reprimands and disciplinary action.
I do get what you are saying but I reckon that doing stuff you've been repeatedly trained not to do is a lot more common than many people would appreciate. You just have to look at what's come out recently regarding the highly offensive and probably illegal messages in the WhatsApp group of ex-Met officers. Same happened with Wayne Couzens and his mates and they were serving. No, it's not the same kind of situation but it goes to show that professional people doing unethical things is not rare. The more minor stuff I think is probably very common.

You have to wonder if there’s something these poor babies had in common with each other, other than just being born prematurely and being poorly. <modsnip> Babies of a certain ethnicity? Babies with young mums? We know there were more deaths of boys than girls, was that on purpose? There are just so many questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Reproduced from the info graphic in this article - Mother of a newborn interrupted Lucy Letby 'while she was killing him'

Full Indictment against Lucy Letby

Lucy Letby is charged as follows:

Count 1

Charged with murder of baby A on June 8 2015

Count 2

Charged with attempted murder of baby B between June 8 2015 and June 11 2015

Count 3

Charged with murder of baby C on June 14 2015

Count 4

Charged with murder of baby D on June 22 2015

Count 5

Charged with murder of baby E on August 4 2015

Count 6

Charged with attempted murder of baby F on August 5 2015

Count 7

Charged with attempted murder of baby G on September 7 2015

Count 8

Charged with attempted murder of baby G on September 21 2015

Count 9

Charged with attempted murder of baby G on September 21 2015

Count 10

Charged with attempted murder of baby H on September 26 2015

Count 11

Charged with attempted murder of baby H on September 27 2015

Count 12

Charged with murder of baby I on October 23 2015

Count 13

Charged with attempted murder of baby J on November 27 2015

Count 14

Charged with attempted murder of baby K on February 17 2016

Count 15

Charged with attempted murder of baby L on April 9 2016

Count 16

Charged with attempted murder of baby M on April 9 2016

Count 17

Charged with attempted murder of baby N on June 3 2016

Count 18

Charged with attempted murder of baby N on June 15 2016

Count 19

Charged with attempted murder of baby N on June 15 2016

Count 20

Charged with murder of baby O on June 23 2016

Count 21

Charged with murder of baby P on June 24 2016

Count 22

Charged with attempted murder of baby Q on June 25 2016

TODAY’s PROCEEDINGS

10:35am

Child H - attempted murder allegation (twice)
Child H was born in September 2015 and had breathing difficulties shortly after birth.
She was transferred to neonatal unit nursery room 1.

10:37am

Independent experts say there was an "unacceptable delay" in tubating her and administering a protein which helps the lungs, which the prosecution say means the case is complicated by "sub-optimal treatment" at the hospital.
Additionally, Child H "was put on a ventilator she was not paralysed; she was also left with butterfly needles in her chest for prolonged periods which may have punctured her lung tissues and contributed to further punctured lungs."

10:44am

The prosecution say Letby attempted to kill Child H on September 26 at 3.24am, and on September 27 at 12.55am.
Mr Johnson said Child H had previously deteriorated on the night of September 23 and required ventilator support and intubation, followed later by oxygen support.
The court hears Child H responded to intervening treatment, but desaturations were "frequent" and "significant".
Mr Johnson said all but two events could be explained medically and responded to with routine resuscitative measures.
The two events - in the early hours of September 26 and 27, were "uncharacteristic" and required CPR.

I have never done it or even considered doing it and I worked HDU head and neck cancers and was constantly bereaved.
Sure I grieved, we all did. Our patients were long stay, usually, radical surgeries and frequent complications, some horrendous with carotid bleed outs causing death occurring from time to time.

The patient is the central focus.
The loss leaves wounds.

I cannot even imagine stalking their families.
That is just my personal experience.

Under no circumstances would a patient's notes ever have left the hospital with me.
They are legal documents as well as a sacred trust.

I won't be able to do updates today but I can maybe catch up on them periodically if nobody else can.

Chester Standard:

Looks like Sky News are back too:

I too won't be here consistently but I'll do some where I can.

Thanks for the updates yesterday Legally, and to @merrypason

Evidence of FB searches/social media use/SMS etc in the context of this trial, is only concerned with LL's reasons and whether or not it supports that there had been criminal intent, either before or during the alleged offences.

The moral and ethical debate surrounding SM use and what is acceptable/unacceptable relative to professional standards could be viewed as a distraction as it is not being tested in the court.

TODAY’s PROCEEDINGS

10:35am

Child H - attempted murder allegation (twice)
Child H was born in September 2015 and had breathing difficulties shortly after birth.
She was transferred to neonatal unit nursery room 1.

10:37am

Independent experts say there was an "unacceptable delay" in tubating her and administering a protein which helps the lungs, which the prosecution say means the case is complicated by "sub-optimal treatment" at the hospital.
Additionally, Child H "was put on a ventilator she was not paralysed; she was also left with butterfly needles in her chest for prolonged periods which may have punctured her lung tissues and contributed to further punctured lungs."

10:44am

The prosecution say Letby attempted to kill Child H on September 26 at 3.24am, and on September 27 at 12.55am.
Mr Johnson said Child H had previously deteriorated on the night of September 23 and required ventilator support and intubation, followed later by oxygen support.
The court hears Child H responded to intervening treatment, but desaturations were "frequent" and "significant".
Mr Johnson said all but two events could be explained medically and responded to with routine resuscitative measures.
The two events - in the early hours of September 26 and 27, were "uncharacteristic" and required CPR.

I think that this tells us a lot as to why this trial is going to take a very long time to get through. We have what appears to be a very ill child who already has suffered "sub-optimal" care. The medical evidence, and discussion thereof, will I think be quite lengthy and technical.

10:49am

Letby was on duty for both those night shifts, and was the designated nurse for Child H.
That night, Child H was given a blood transfusion.
At 2.15am, medical notes by a doctor showed a re-accumulation of her left-sided pneumothorax. A further chest drain was inserted to relieve the pressure.
The ICU chart shows that Letby recorded having given Child H a dose of morphine at 1.25am and a dose of saline at 2.50am. The saline bolus was set to run for 20 minutes and would therefore have ended at 3.10am. Lucy Letby would have had the cover of legitimacy for accessing Child H's lines just before she collapsed again.
At 3.22am, Child H collapsed and required CPR. The attending doctor said the cause was unclear. He concluded the episode was 'hypoxia' (shortage of oxygen).

10:53am

Letby made notes at 4.14am, recording a lowering of the heart rate at 11.30pm which required treatment.
She recorded the additional chest drain and a blood transfusion at 2am.
Of the collapse at 3.22am, she recorded: "profound desaturation and colour loss to 30%, good chest movement and air entry, colour change on CO2 detector, neopuff commenced in 100% oxygen and help requested. Serous fluid +++ from all 3 drains, became bradycardic. Drs crash called and resus commenced as documented"
At 5.21am, Letby recorded a conversation between herself, the attending doctor, and Child H's parents.

10:54am

During the following day, Child H was relatively stable.
A different nurse was the designated nurse for Child H, still in room 1, on the night of September 26. Letby was also on duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1