UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So did John Gibbs typically do a lot of shifts & nights or it's just a coincidence that she attacks a lot of babies when he's on rota? 7 ( or 8 if you count the multiples for baby 0)

and other than a ' spree' in Sept & June, LL preferred to attack when she was not the designated nurse
( Tortoise's chart, previous page)
Four of them were when he was on call at night, and another one was when he came in extra early about 6am to help with twins that were being admitted and at the same time baby J had two seizures. The rest were day shifts.

Hey folks,

Numerous posts have been removed.

Websleuths is fact based. Letby has been found guilty in a court of law and that is the known fact. To suggest she is not guilty is a hypothetical, speculative opinion not based on any known fact.

Please move on from the "What if Lucy Letby is not guilty?" discussion.

Thanks !!

I've done a list of which consultant doctors were on duty for each incident, as far as I have been able to work out from the trial updates, and added whether LL was designated nurse (D) or not (ND). Deaths in bold.

Jun 2015

A - Ravi Jayaram - D
B - Anon female - ND
C - John Gibbs - ND
D - Elizabeth Newby - ND

Aug 2015

E - Anon female - D
F - John Gibbs - ND

Sep 2015

G - Stephen Brearey - ND
G - John Gibbs - D
H - John Gibbs - D
H - Murthy Saladi - ND
I - Elizabeth Newby - D

Oct 2015

I - Elizabeth Newby - ND
I - Ravi Jayaram - D
I - John Gibbs - ND

Nov 2015

J - John Gibbs - ND

Feb 2016

K - Ravi Jayaram - ND

Apr 2016

L - n/a? - ND
M - Ravi Jayaram - ND

Jun 2016

N - n/a? - ND
N - Murthy Saladi, Stephen Brearey, John Gibbs - D
O - Stephen Brearey, Anon senior female B, John Gibbs - D
P - Anon senior female B - D

Q - John Gibbs - D

I think the consultant for incident 1 Baby N might have been Dr. Jennifer Loughnane?

"A medical expert said Lucy Letby experimented with various techniques during her murderous career as a neonatal nurse.

'It wouldn’t surprise me if she committed another insulin poisoning or two where doctors didn’t measure the insulin level after death',
Evans said.

'If you do not measure the insulin level then you can’t know whether there was foul play. There are undoubtedly more cases of insulin poisoning'.

The murders began to stack up in the Letby’s unit after she attended a training course that highlighted the dangers of air embolism, where air enters the blood vessels, leading to serious or fatal conditions such as a stroke or heart attack.

'As far as I am aware, there were no air embolism deaths before she went on that course', he said.

'It was after she discovered that method, the deaths really increased.'

Prosecutors will announce Monday whether Letby, Britain’s worst child killer, will face a new trial over six outstanding attempted murder charges on which a jury failed to reach a verdict."

Last edited:
I think the consultant for incident 1 Baby N might have been Dr. Jennifer Loughnane?
She was registrar at that time. I don't think a consultant became involved in that collapse.

Prosecutor Philip Astbury says Dr Jennifer Loughnane will next give evidence.
She confirms she is a consultant paediatrician at the Countess of Chester Hospital, and was employed as a registrar on the night shift of June 2/3, 2016.

Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Thursday, March 2

She was registrar at that time. I don't think a consultant became involved in that collapse.

Prosecutor Philip Astbury says Dr Jennifer Loughnane will next give evidence.
She confirms she is a consultant paediatrician at the Countess of Chester Hospital, and was employed as a registrar on the night shift of June 2/3, 2016.

Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Thursday, March 2

My mistake!

My conversation with Lucy Letby's former school friend has now been uploaded. This individual wishes to remain anonymous so I have had to narrate the conversation myself

How interesting !

As a teacher I can say that there is always one person like this, usually a girl, in every class.

Always prepared, with good grades, always sticking to school rules, usually chosen to be a head of the class - both by teachers and classmates.
And teachers' pet haha
As a teacher, you can always rely on such a student.

They are usually well liked and respected by peers.
And succeed later in life career wise, almost always following University studies.

And nobody, especially teachers, would ever suspect that such a person might one day turn out to be a serial killer o_O

Thanks for posting this conversation :)
Don't stop!

Last edited:
I can't tell you how much I loved this! Thank you and @squish . I think it's perfect because you explained so clearly just how difficult it was, watching her give evidence, to reconcile internally that she was lying. I think it's the same struggle her colleagues had, and some still have, and it's why, without being seen in the act, she was able to get away with murder and attempted murder for as long as she did. It's cognitive dissonance. Dr Jayaram described going through that really uncomfortable wrestling with his own thoughts -

"He says, at this point, in February 2016, he was aware of 'unexpected/unusual events' that had happened recently, and that Lucy Letby had been present.
He said: "I felt extremely uncomfortable [with Lucy Letby being there alone in the room with Child K]
"You can call me hysterical, completely irrational, but because of this association...
"This thought kept coming into my head. After two, two and a half minutes...I went to prove to myself that I was being ridiculous and irrational and got up."

He said, in relation to the suspicions,
he "did not want to believe it".

Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Tuesday, February 28

and again it was described by the anonymous consultant doctor after triplet baby P's death -

"The consultant said: “Even though I didn’t beg, in my heart and mind I just wanted him to leave because that’s the only way he was going to live.”

“At that point in time I just wanted (the surviving triplet) to be in a safe place.”

Mr Myers asked: “Because of the danger posed by nurse Letby?

Yes,” she said.

The barrister went on: “Did you call the police?”

“No,”
said the consultant
."

Doctor ‘shocked’ as Lucy Letby asked if baby was ‘leaving here alive’

Your discussions and the Mail podcast episode 62 (Episode 62, The court watchers - The Mail) bring this case to life and give a real sense of LL like no one else has. Media didn't really do a great job in this case of highlighting the inconsistencies in her answers, but court reporting in a case as huge as this, in real-time, with the way police interviews were introduced into evidence followed by her being in the witness box for weeks, is obviously going to require readers to piece it together for themselves, reviewing testimony spread apart by hours, days and weeks.

She can utter contradictory statements within minutes, as if both are true, and remain straight-faced and not show a hint of a problem with it, even repeating the contradiction when questioned again. I am absolutely certain she did not suddenly develop the skill of poker-faced lying during her trial - her lies are petty and inconsequential too, so I would put my house on it that deception is second-nature to her, practiced since childhood and solidified as a character trait now, to the extent that she deceives all the time, without any anxiety, fluster or sweat. I think it's rooted in needing to escape any accountability, because she discovered early on that she needed to pretend to care, to fit in. In convicting her, the jury recognised her duplicity, saw through her charade, which those who didn't follow the trial detail wouldn't see.

Some of her more blatant contradictions -

Letby is asked [by police] about air embolism training. Letby says she did not have training for that, and was only aware of air embolisms in adults
A blood transfusion workbook was also obtained from Lucy Letby's HR file at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
One of the questions lists 'Give 4 potential complications of having a UAC/UVC line in situ'. Letby writes, for one of the four answers, 'air embolysm [sic]'.
cross-exam-
The training involved education about lines, access, and the complication of air embolus, the court hears.
Letby said she had heard of air embolus by the time police interviewed her.

Letby is asked [by police] if she had taken any paperwork home in relation to the babies, Letby denies she has taken papers home, then adds: "I don't know - I might have taken some handover sheets accidentally. Not medical notes.
cross-exam -
Mr Johnson asks why Letby kept bringing handover sheets home. Letby said it was a few.

LL: "it's the paper I accumulate, not the content."
LL: "I wasn't aware I had them."

"She said [to police] she did not have a shredder"
cross-exam-
LL: "I bought a shredder for certain documents when I bought the house...predominantly bank statements." [my note 2016]
20 minutes later -
Mr Johnson asks when the shredder was bought.
Letby says "shortly before this [police] interview [my note 2018]"

cross-exam-
Letby says a record would be made as the swipe data would record her entrance, as the only way she could get into the unit.
Letby says she would need a pass to swipe in, and accepts: "unless another colleague opened the door for me."

cross-exam-
Letby says she has never used her phone in a clinical area.

Mr Johnson says in the middle of the block of messages, Letby signs for medication for a baby at 10.20pm. Letby says she didn't use her phone in clinical areas.
A "further block of messages" are exchanged on Letby's phone between 10.38-10.59pm.
NJ: "Were you bored?"
LL: "No."
NJ: "As a matter of fact, do you text a lot when in [room 3]?"
LL: "I text regardless where I am on shift."
NJ: "Even with an ITU baby [in room 1]?"
LL: "Yes, and I think everyone else would say the same if they were honest."

cross-exam-
She agrees with Dr Harkness that Child A had "mottling", with "purple and white patches".
Letby says she cannot recall any blotchiness.
She disagrees with the nurse's statement of the discolouration, or the blotchiness on Child A's skin.
The trial is now resuming. Nicholas Johnson KC says there is one thing he overlooked from the morning's evidence.
He asks Lucy Letby why she said "blotchiness" rather than "mottling" in part of her police statement.
"I think they are interchangeable," Letby tells the court.

cross-exam -
"I haven't lied, it was in her cot, I just haven't in that moment specified where else it went," she says.

cross-exam -
Letby, asked why she had told the jury the lights were "never off", says the lights are "never off completely", they are turned up.
A second police interview has Letby: "We put the light on - the lights aren't on in the nursery at night."

cross-exam -
NJ: "What effect does going from a bright corridor [looking into] a [dark/dimly lit] room have on your eyesight?"
LL: "I don't know.
NJ: "You really don't know?"
NJ: "Everybody knows, don't they?"
Letby says: "You wouldn't be able to see as well."

cross-exam - (from episode 37 Mail podcast)
NJ: You had to go to baby K's cotside to carry this out.
LL: No, the notes are taken to the computer.
NJ: Where did you get them from?
LL: From the cotside. I needed to take the notes to the computer.
NJ: I think you know where I'm going with this, but I will dance the dance

This pathological lying brings me to a part of your conversation about the prosecution bringing in new evidence on the last day of her cross-exam, a folder of her social life. IMO this was genius, a masterful move - I am absolutely sure that the prosecution were very conscious that she was adept at lying convincingly, and just as difficult for the jury to read as you have described. They needed to confront her with her lies, to show the jury how she looks and sounds when she lies. The defence objected to late disclosure but it became admissible because she lied after the trial started, during her evidence in chief, about being isolated, giving the prosecution a gateway to introduce evidence that countered the lie.

Some people say these lies about pyjamas and a social life are nothing, immaterial to the murders, but I believe this simple stroke of genius was instrumental in breaking open Lucy Letby, showing how she lies as easily as she breathes, how her well-spoken manner and confidence are a cover, and how she lied poker-faced to the jury about murders, played victim, and gaslighted everyone who ever knew her.

evidence in chief -
She says it was "difficult", with the "isolation I felt", and this lasted "two years".

cross-exam (after having been given time to look at her social folder)
LL: "At the time the hospital advised me not to contact anyone on the unit...there were two or three friends I could contact, but [not to contact anyone on the unit]."
Letby is asked if that was true. "Yes." And if she abided by that. "Yes."
Letby adds that did change as time went on
Letby has a document which she received from the prosecution this morning on her social life.
Mr Johnson says it "disproves everything" that Letby had said. Letby disagrees.

Letby agrees she had a "very very active social life".
NJ: "You have deliberately misled the jury about this background."

evidence in chief -
"They told me I was being arrested for multiple counts of murder, they put me into handcuffs and took me away" in her pyjamas.

cross-exam -
Letby says the police knocked on her door at 6am when they arrested her. She says she thought she had a nightie and a tracksuit and trainers.
Mr Johnson says Letby was taken away in a blue Lee Cooper leisure suit. Letby says she is not sure. Mr Johnson says video footage can be played of her arrest. Letby agrees she was taken away in that leisure suit.
For the 2019 arrest, Letby agrees she was not taken away in her pyjamas.
NJ: "Why did you lie to the jury about this?"
LL: "I don't know."
Letby says it was the first arrest when she was taken in her pyjamas.
NJ: "Do you want to watch the video?" Letby does not respond.

Thank you for this thoughtful response, I’m glad you liked the video :)

I agree with your perception about her lying.

I actually think duper’s delight was one of her two primary driving forces, along with power and control. There’s a 10% minority of Munchausens whose motivation is not sympathy, but to outsmart doctors, and I think LL fits this.

She is not anywhere near as clever as she superficially appears (she actually seemed dim in some ways), so tricking people is the easiest way for her to feel mentally superior.

I think she got a huge thrill from acts of deceiving people, and no one knowing who she really is as a person makes her feel powerful and in control. Convincing everyone she’s nice, while harming babies and their parents in the most twisted, sadistic ways imaginable.

I’m in Manchester to see the hearing in person.

Not had a wink of sleep, nothing wrong with the hotel but I’m nocturnal :’(

How interesting !
As a teacher I can say that there is always one person like this, usually a girl, in every class.

Always prepared, with good grades, always sticking to school rules, usually chosen to be a head of the class - both by teachers and classmates.
And teachers' pet haha
As a teacher, you can always rely on such a student.

They are usually well liked and respected by peers.
And succeed later in life career wise, almost always following University studies.

And nobody, especially teachers, would ever suspect that such a person might one day turn out to be a serial killer o_O

Thanks for posting this conversation :)
Don't stop!

But regularly dobbing in other students is a bit unusual, that would have got her beaten up at a lot of schools!

8:47am

Today, at Manchester Crown Court, a decision is to be made on whether convicted serial child-killer nurse Lucy Letby is to face a retrial on six counts of attempted murder.
Letby, 33, was sentenced to a whole life order after jurors convicted her of the murders of seven babies and the attempted murders of six others at the Countess of Chester Hospital’s neonatal unit in 2015 and 2016.
However, the jury in her trial at Manchester Crown Court was unable to reach verdicts last month on six counts of attempted murder in relation to five children.
A hearing is to take place at the same court from this morning, when the Crown Prosecution Service will outline its intentions. The hearing will be before original trial judge, Mr Justice James Goss.
Letby, from Hereford, denied all the offences and formally lodged an appeal against her conviction at the Court of Appeal earlier this month.

10:14am

Dozens of members of the media have now entered court 4 at Manchester Crown Court, one of the larger courtrooms in the building, in advance of the hearing.

10:22am

Nicholas Johnson KC, the prossecutor in the Lucy Letby trial, and Benjamin Myers KC, for Letby's defence, have arrived in the courtroom, along with their respective legal teams.

10:26am

Lucy Letby is appearing via videolink from HMP Newhall.

10:28am

The judge has entered the courtroom, and Letby has confirmed she can hear proceedings.

10:32am

The prosecution say they are seeking a retrial in the case of the attempted murder of Child K, and not the remaining counts, which would 'lie on file' - the judge says that means there would be 'no result' in those cases. "Unresolved, so to speak", he adds.

10:33am

Such a retrial would last about two weeks, the prosecution and judge agree on, but the judge adds that juries can deliberate for some time. He says a retrial would therefore last up to three weeks.

10:35am

The judge says it would be "inappropriate" for that retrial to take place until the application of appeal was processed.

10:35am

Such a retrial would take place from October 7, 2024, the judge adds, saying that is "the first available date".

So these are the counts where no retrial will take place, from my own notes

Count 11 – Attempted Murder (2) baby H, Sep 27 2015

Count 13 – Attempted Murder baby J, Nov 27 2015

Count 18 – Attempted Murder (2) baby N, Jun 15 2016

Count 19 – Attempted Murder (3) baby N, Jun 15 2016

Count 22 - Attempted murder baby Q, Jun 25 2016

10:40am

Mr Myers rises to say Letby maintains her innocence on the unresolved matters.
He outlines the difficulties on what could be presented to the jury in a retrial.
He says '2-3 weeks' is a "reasonable estimate" for the length of that trial, and says next October presents some difficulties for the defence team, owing to a long-running case scheduled for around that time.

10:43am

The judge says he is prepared not to fix a date for a retrial, but to say the trial would 'not take place before' a specific date.
A date next June is now offered by the court clerk, and the retrial is provisionally fixed for June 10, 2024, as that availability appears more suited to the prosecution and defence.
Mr Justice James Goss says he is unable to confirm whether he would be the judge for that retrial.

10:44am

The judge confirms the retrial would take place in Manchester, as it would not be possible "to accommodate anywhere else which would be appropriate".

10:51am

The judge says a jury will be directed, in the retrial, to judge the case solely on the evidence that is presented before them.

Lucy appearing via video link from New Hall. Sounds like the rumours were indeed true.
I couldn't say online but when I first spoke to the lass who said she was on the Holly House wing at New Hall, I had it checked through a colleague of mine and confirmed it. She's there indefinitely too pending more intensive psych evals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Watercolor611