UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or unless she feeds off the attention.
In the words of NJ 'you're enjoying this aren't you?'
Hmmm
She didn't seem to enjoy the trial IMO.
Judging by Court sketches.

She, as others, enjoys positive attention.

I guess Mr NJ KC referred to her enjoying "lying games".

JMO

Last edited:
I wonder if LL is starting appealing process.
Time is flying - I guess she has 30 days???
Depends what she's appealing against?

There is no right to an automatic appeal against conviction. You must state your grounds for appeal and a court must grant leave if they think you may have an arguable case.

You can't just decide you didn't like the result and decide you want a new trial.

If she's appealing against sentence I think it's easier - especially against a Whole Life Order - so she might do that. She'd still need to put up some reasonable argument as to why the sentence was unjustified l, though. Her defence didn't put forward any mitigation prior to the sentencing so it's hard to imagine what her reasons for having the WLO reduced might be.

Thanks.
I remember even this vile murderer Wayne C. appealed, so I thought it is kind of automatic.
Of course this disgraced former police officer lost .

Thanks.
I remember even this vile murderer Wayne C. appealed, so I thought it is kind of automatic.
Of course this disgraced former police officer lost .
He only appealed the sentence, though.

If you want to appeal the conviction you need to present sufficient grounds for an appeal. That would normally be in terms of new evidence. There are very, very few other reasons to appeal a conviction.

Hmmm
She didn't seem to enjoy the trial IMO.
Judging by Court sketches.

She, as others, enjoys positive attention.

I guess Mr NJ KC referred to her enjoying "lying games".

JMO
Yeah you can forget the court sketches, the majority of them look like a cross between Picasso and a 6 year old. None of them really resembled her.

Yeah you can forget the court sketches, the majority of them look like a cross between Picasso and a 6 year old. None of them really resembled her.
What about this ?? :oops:

Who is this lawyer, by the way?

1694190753411.png
Or this? o_O

1694190880367.png

View attachment 445690
Or this? o_O

View attachment 445692

<modsnip> I didn’t realise ET was on trial….

No absolutely ZERO resemblance

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 445690
Or this? o_O

View attachment 445692

That was the guy who sat in for her police interviews, Richard something ? From memory, I could be wrong.

I
I think that's incorrect. It was 1983 I believe. Ian Brady & Myra Hindley had whole life orders.

There was no facility for a court to hand down a WLO when they were convicted in the 1960s. The judge will have given a recommendation as to the time they should serve and the Home Secretary would have set the tarrif.

Without checking I think the judge made reccomendation of 25 years or something and the Home Sec of the day applied it but it was then increased to whole life by a subsequent person in the position - or similar, I forget the exact circumstances.

I know that Hindley was trying to get parole right up to when she died. I think that the whole life sentence was subsequently confirmed by a court later.

A convicting court was not able to fix the minimum term until, I think, the Criminal Justice Act 2003 set down the statutory sentencing procedure. That was enacted because several murderers challenged the legality of a politician dictating things which should be independently done by the judicial system - rightly so, in my opinion.

Edit; that article is not correct, as far as I'm aware. The Home Secretary has no power to impose criminal sentences. His/her role has been reduced to granting release on compassionate grounds in exceptional circumstances such as when a life prisoner is days away from death and is incapable of causing any danger to the public.

Last edited:

NOT her conveyancing solicitor before anyone asks !

NOT her conveyancing solicitor before anyone asks !
Hmmm...

Looking at his pic and the sketch upthread I recognized only.....

the beard! o_O

PS
What does it exactly mean this "conveyancing solicitor" you mentioned?

Is there any more pointless job than a court artist I wonder?

The LL ones were pretty rubbish on the whole but courtroom art itself is absolutely fascinating imo and I'm so glad it still exists as a respected and skilled art form. When it's done well, it tells a story that no photograph could even begin to match in terms of drama and atmosphere. There are some fabulous examples here -

Last edited:
There was no facility for a court to hand down a WLO when they were convicted in the 1960s. The judge will have given a recommendation as to the time they should serve and the Home Secretary would have set the tarrif.

Without checking I think the judge made reccomendation of 25 years or something and the Home Sec of the day applied it but it was then increased to whole life by a subsequent person in the position - or similar, I forget the exact circumstances.

I know that Hindley was trying to get parole right up to when she died. I think that the whole life sentence was subsequently confirmed by a court later.

A convicting court was not able to fix the minimum term until, I think, the Criminal Justice Act 2003 set down the statutory sentencing procedure. That was enacted because several murderers challenged the legality of a politician dictating things which should be independently done by the judicial system - rightly so, in my opinion.

Edit; that article is not correct, as far as I'm aware. The Home Secretary has no power to impose criminal sentences. His/her role has been reduced to granting release on compassionate grounds in exceptional circumstances such as when a life prisoner is days away from death and is incapable of causing any danger to the public.
I think Rose West is also under a whole life order. It's on her Wikipedia, anyway. So, there are four. Hindley(dec), West, Dennehy, and now Letby.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member