UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 8 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 5 hung re attempted #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There’s also this weird assumption that people’s own opinions on something they admit they don’t know the full details about , are more important than the opinions of the jury who saw and heard every bit of evidence in a 10 month trial! This isn’t X factor , there was no public vote. The GBP don’t get to decide whether LL was guilty of not. That was the jury’s job!

The fact that somebody who has read a biased summary of events is not convinced “beyond reasonable doubt” that LL is guilty is frankly irrelevant. And why do they keep using the term “beyond reasonable doubt”? Aside from the fact that it’s now been replaced by “sure” in UK courts, it has never been the case that everybody in the country needed to be convinced “beyond reasonable doubt” of somebody’s guilt. It was always only the jury.

ETA that’s not to say that there can’t ever be miscarriages of justice, but a conviction will never be overturned just because some uninformed random member of the public wasn’t convinced beyond reasonable doubt.
Great post!

Bolded by me, I just wanted to add that the whole point of a jury is to be judged by a random group of peers from the general population instead of a group of legal officials or a council of elites. The point is to give someone a fair trial with the chance of those passing judgment being more likely to understand the lives of the accused than a group of lords, ladies and legal echelons.
The simple rules in place, such as jurors not discussing the trial until deliberation and not viewing outside media of the case, are there to emphasize nonbias.
A jury is a representation of LL's peers within the general public.
Why is their decision being questioned? The fact that this is the case is scary. It is almost like Oliver Cromwell might pop out of his grave saying "I'm backkkk"

So...
Forgive my ignorance,

Is the new team headed by Mr McDonald going to appeal to some kind of Supreme Court?

I'm a bit lost
as it was reported that the original verdicts were ultimate and LL cannot appeal any more :oops:
That her appeals were rejected.

Last edited:
So...
Forgive my ignorance,

Is the new team headed by Mr McDonald going to appeal to some kind of Supreme Court?

I'm a bit lost
as it was reported that the original verdicts were ultimate and LL cannot appeal any more :oops:
That her appeals were rejected.

To answer my own post.
From link above

"Mr Owen said that, while Letby’s appeal had failed, there was still the avenue of the Criminal Cases Review Commission for her to pursue, should new evidence emerge to suggest her conviction was unsafe.

‘But it will require compelling evidence,’ he added."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back