GUILTY UK - PC David Carrick, 46, Met Officer, charged with rape, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, 4 Sept 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
14:38

'The attack possibly deprived me of a family life'​

2aef5f86-c583-4568-95b9-779050fb0c66.jpg

James FitzGerald
Reporting from Southwark Crown Court
In her statement, the second woman we hear from says she has not had a relationship since the attack by Carrick.
The incident “shaped my life”, she says.
The statement – read by Tom Little KC – says: “My mental health has suffered over the years”.
The statement says the woman now fears close intimate contact with men. Carrick’s attack "possibly deprived me of a family life," she says.
The third statement is shorter, and describes the difficulty of writing such a document. Carrick’s crimes “should never have happened”, it says.

Posted at 14:4814:48

Woman describes reaching 'rock bottom'​

James FitzGerald
Another woman's statement talks about how her life changed after encountering Carrick – including changes in eating habits and binge drinking.
“I lived off adrenaline and nicotine”, her statement says, and she had “self-destructive thoughts”.
The victim details making an attempt on her own life and reaching "rock bottom” having believed she had destroyed her marriage.
She gives a detailed account of trying to restore her relationship with her husband.

15:02

'Being homeless was better than being with him'​

James FitzGerald
Three more statements from the victims – which are again read by the prosecutor – give more of a picture of the psychological effects of the women’s encounters with Carrick.
"He was a police officer – what wasn’t to trust?” says one. She says she thinks about the attack all the time and it affects her sleep.
Another woman says: “It took me a long time to allow anybody to get close to me, emotionally and physically”. She was left feeling vulnerable and confused.
Another woman describes becoming homeless – but says “even being homeless was still better than being with Dave”.
“I’m not the same person I was before I met him”. She says she was left feeling “scared, humiliated and worthless”.

Posted at 15:0515:05

'He broke me.... he owned me'​

James FitzGerald
The court hears the story of another woman, who describes how her relationship with Carrick led her to lose weight, after the then-police officer controlled what she ate and what she wore.
She was led to believe that “he owned me”. The statement also says: "He broke me." She describes her “anxiety and depression” and struggles with intimacy after encountering Carrick.
Carrick “drilled into” her that he was the police, meaning that she was deterred from raising the alarm, her statement says.

15:08

The stories continue... Carrick stares at the floor​

James FitzGerald
“My anxiety now affects all aspects of my life”, we hear in another woman's statement.
She describes her difficulties in dealing with men – including male police officers - after being raped by Carrick. “I feel I am now isolated from my friends and people and general”, the statement continues.
She describes a feeling that the offences were her fault, and a worry that she would be “targeted” if she reported the crimes to the police.
Carrick, sitting in the dock, continues to stare at the floor as the victim’s statements are read out.

Posted at 15:1215:12

'I used to be a happy person'​

James FitzGerald
The next woman's statement begins: “I may look okay from the outside, but on the inside, I’m hurting so much.”
The victim writes that she used to be a happy person, and hopes that “one day I will love myself again”. “I have never felt so humiliated,” she says.

Posted at 15:2415:24

Prosecutor says case falls short of meriting a whole life order​

James FitzGerald
Having read out all the women's statements, prosecutor Tom Little KC is now discussing the issue of sentencing with judge Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb.
Remember that David Carrick has pleaded guilty to 49 charges, including multiple rapes and sexual assaults.
Little says Carrick warrants a life sentence, with a minimum term applied.
He appeals to the judge to consider the “seriousness of the offending overall”, but he says the case falls short of meriting a whole life order.

Posted at 15:2715:27

What's the difference between a 'life sentence' and a 'whole life order'?​

This is the guidance from the sentencing council:
When someone is given a life sentence, they will be subject to that sentence for the rest of their life.
When a judge passes a life sentence, they must specify the minimum term an offender must spend in prison before becoming eligible to apply for parole (sometimes called the tariff).
There is one exception to this rule, which is when a judge passes a ‘whole life order’. This sentence means that the offender must spend the rest of their life in prison.
A life sentence always lasts for life, whatever the length of the minimum term

Posted at 15:3415:34

Carrick acknowledges suffering he has caused​

James FitzGerald
The court is back from a short break.
Now Alisdair Williamson KC is on his feet, providing the mitigation – meaning any factors which should be considered for lessening a defendant’s sentence.
Williamson begins by saying that Carrick accepts full responsibility for what he has done and acknowledges the “suffering” he has caused.
“Something has profoundly damaged this man,” he says.
A likely minimum term of a life sentence will bring him “close to, if not to, the end of his natural life”, the defence barrister says.
The former police officer “cannot ask for mercy and does not,” he adds.

Posted at 15:3915:39

Sentencing will be at 10:30am tomorrow​

The judge says she will sentence Carrick at 10:30 tomorrow.
The court rises, and the day's proceedings come to a close.

Continuing delay as court waits​

e0709665-a56a-4cd1-b1e0-cbecae3acab8.jpg

Thomas Mackintosh
If you are just joining us you haven't missed anything at all.
The sentencing hearing was due to start at 10:30, but due to the intense media attention staff here have had to open a second court to accommodate the overspill of press.
But, the videolink which connects the two courtrooms isn't working so staff have been trying to fix the problem.
There still is no sign of Carrick, but prosecutor Tom Little KC and defence barrister Alisdair Williamson KC are both sitting in the courtroom.
So as it stands we are still delayed and waiting for the judge to enter court.

"I've only been a police officer for 20 years': Moment furious sex monster cop David Carrick complains as he is arrested while naked at home - as he is jailed for a minimum of 30 years for sickening attacks on 12 women."

Last edited:

Met rapist David Carrick investigated over sexual assault when he was 13​

Timeline of the former policeman’s string of ‘violent and brutal’ attacks may now extend as far back as his early teenage years

Detectives are now investigating another alleged assault from when he was a young teenager, The Sunday Times Magazine reports, potentially extending the timeline of his offending back to his childhood.

He passed vetting and was accepted into the Met in 2001, despite having two crime reports on the system after being investigated for burglary and theft against an ex-girlfriend, and for malicious phone calls to her.

A third crime report was registered on the system under Carrick’s name during his probation, after he was accused of harassment and actual bodily harm following an attack on a girlfriend.

Up to five more women have come forward since he was sentenced in February, with Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire Police’s major crime units all continuing to receive calls from new victims.

She lost count of the number of times she was sexually assaulted, with the agonising pain she suffered resulting in a perforated bowel.

Emma even told her GP of the abuse, giving them the officer's name and showing them her bruises, but still Carrick was allowed to continue his reign of terror.

She recalled other opportunities to stop him, including at a Reading nightclub in 2017, when he was involved in a drunken incident.

A police van and several officers were waiting for him, one of which took down his details and badge number, but allegedly there was no record of the incident logged with Scotland Yard.

The police watchdog has launched multiple investigations over concerns that the Metropolitan police repeatedly failed to take appropriate action when serious criminal allegations were made against the serial rapist David Carrick while he was an officer.

The 2002 allegation made by Carrick’s former partner, while he was a probationary constable, was investigated by the Met, but no referral was made to its department of professional standards (DPS) and Carrick was only spoken to by his line manager.

The other three cases where the IOPC is investigating the role of Met officers are:

• A 2016 report of harassment and stalking made by a former partner, which was investigated by Hampshire constabulary.
  • A 2019 report of a woman being attacked and dragged out of Carrick’s house by him, which was investigated by Hertfordshire constabulary.
  • A February 2021 report of a woman being raped by Carrick, which was initially recorded by Sussex police.
In each of these three cases, misconduct investigations were started by the Met’s DPS but were not progressed after forces investigating the allegations advised that no further action was being taken.

More at link

Rapist police officer David Carrick has been stripped of his full state-funded pension, the mayor of London has confirmed.

[...]

Under case law and in line with Home Office guidance, only the police contributions to an officer's pension can be forfeited, not the officer's own contributions.
The guidance states pension forfeiture can only be applied for when an officer has a conviction "committed in connection with their service as a member of a police force".

[...]

The Met's deputy assistant commissioner, Stuart Cundy, reiterated an apology to Carrick's victims: "Offending of such an appalling nature must have wide reaching consequences and it is right that the decision has been taken to subject Carrick to the maximum pension forfeiture allowed in law."

"Final warning

for police officers who 'missed opportunities'

to stop serial rapist cop David Carrick.

1717802596561.png

Carrick was sentenced to a minimum term of 30 years in prison in February 2023."

Former Met police officer David Carrick charged with rape and indecent assault​

Ex-officer faces five counts of indecent assault, two of rape and one of sexual assault against two women
PA Media
Mon 7 Oct 2024 16.27 BST

The former Metropolitan police officer David Carrick has been charged with five counts of indecent assault, two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against two women, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine
Back