UK - Prince Philip, 99, hospitalized after feeling unwell, Feb 2021; died 9 Apr 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prince Philip to have ceremonial funeral on April 17, Harry to attend but not Meghan | Calgary Herald

“.....The funeral will be broadcast live. There will be a period of national mourning until the end of Saturday April 17. The royal family will observe two weeks of royal mourning.

WHO WILL ATTEND?
Prince Charles and other members of the royal family will take part in the procession on foot behind Philip’s coffin. The queen will not walk in the procession.

Prince Harry plans to attend the funeral though his pregnant wife Meghan has be advised not to by her physician.

“The Duke of Sussex is planning to attend,” a Buckingham Palace spokesman said. “The Duchess of Sussex has been advised by her physician not to travel.

The guest list for the funeral will be limited to 30 in line with government guidelines, meaning attendees will wear masks.....”

“Meghan has be advised not to by her physician.”

Well that is probably for the best, considering how popular she is with the Royal Family and a good portion of the population of the British Commonwealth at the moment :eek:

Last edited:
Does feel like the end of an era; I'm not a Royalist by any means, but I know several folk who'd met him (including my parents) and they spoke well of him and his down-to-earth manner. RIP.

I agree. He was one of the last of the "Greatest Generation". He deserves respect as a veteran of WW II. There are few of those generation left. I read an interesting comment about Price Phillip, that he was "a relic from a "racist past".". That seemed so wrong to me, to disparage a man for being a product of his generation.

He may not have had much of a filter, but I am sure that made him invaluable to his wife. She didn't need some "yes" man. He always said what the thought.

I expect this funeral procession to be a haunting reminder of Princess Di's with three of the same walking behind. However, there won't be the same footage of thousands of grieving people and flowers due to Covid restrictions. I still hope to watch it on tv. RIP Prince Philip.

I agree. He was one of the last of the "Greatest Generation". He deserves respect as a veteran of WW II. There are few of those generation left. I read an interesting comment about Price Phillip, that he was "a relic from a "racist past".". That seemed so wrong to me, to disparage a man for being a product of his generation.

He may not have had much of a filter, but I am sure that made him invaluable to his wife. She didn't need some "yes" man. He always said what the thought.

There is a very good quote from the former archbishop in this article about Prince Philip's "gaffes". It offers a different perspective to the one usually touted by the press.

It's a 'pity' Prince Philip remembered for 'gaffes' says former Archbishop of York Dr John Sentamu | Daily Mail Online

Long live the Queen bee!
When the Queen was snapped 'giggling' at Prince Philip
_117342293_pa-1724261.jpg
image copyrightChris Young / PA Media
_117342295_pa-1724055.jpg
_112953491__108802839_624_transparent-nc.png

''Through his many years of service the Duke of Edinburgh attended thousands of official events with the Queen. Mostly they would work smoothly beside each other. But on one occasion, a swarm of bees derailed the normal efficient-running of events.''

''Young was the only photographer at the event, a review of the Grenadier Guards' elite Queen's Company regiment at Windsor Castle in 2003. He had moved away from the spot he had been allocated, to a better vantage point, and waited with guests until the Queen emerged. As colonel of the regiment, the duke was standing in full uniform, as he prepared to accompany Her Majesty.

It was at this point Young became aware of a swarm of bees.

"I got lucky," says Young, recalling the event 18 years later. "I recognised that it was a human moment. She was giggling like a little girl and he was laughing too."

"I thought the reaction from both of them was pretty unique.''

_117342455_pa-1724183.jpg
_112953491__108802839_624_transparent-nc.png

It seems he possessed that wry sense of humour many in UK are well known for. I can almost imagine the Queen’s embarrassment at her husband’s witty retort -

“The Duke was having a conversation with his cousin, Patricia Mountbatten, when she brought up the Queen’s radiant skin.

James wrote: "When Philip's cousin Patricia Mountbatten remarked on Elizabeth's flawless complexion, the Prince joked: 'Yes, and she's like that all over."..”
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/11020247/prince-philip-queen-flawless-skin-body-joke/

It is extremely sad that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh has passed away and I send my sincere condolences to the Royal Family. The Duke worked tirelessly in supporting Her Majesty The Queen, the monarchy and many charitable causes all over the United Kingdom and around the world for many decades. I am so glad he lived a long life in good health up until recent times and that he got to spend significant time with Her Majesty The Queen during the pandemic. The Duke of Edinburgh will be greatly missed. May he Rest In Peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back