GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Avon&Somerset Police Verified account ‏@ASPolice 4m4 minutes ago
In-depth feature showing how #BeckyWatts case was solved including video i/views with officers & staff is online now [url]http://ow.ly/UC5U9[/URL]

Justice for Becky: a timeline of our investigation

Justice for Becky: a timeline of our investigation

On Wednesday 11 November, a jury at Bristol Crown Court found Nathan Matthews guilty of the murder of Becky Watts. His girlfriend Shauna Hoare was convicted of Becky's manslaughter. Read the guilty verdict story.

The pair were sentenced on Friday 13 November.

A timeline of our investigation

Our investigation into the murder of Becky Watts has been one of the largest in our history. In under seven months, officers and staff from departments across the force worked tirelessly to bring the offenders to justice.

The timeline below outlines in more detail the work of these teams.

You can also watch short video clips with three investigators who talk about their individual roles and some of the challenges they faced.

It is virtually impossible to comprehend the level of depravity shown in this case, and we continue to provide support to Becky’s family and friends.

Nothing will ever fill the void in their lives but we hope that these verdicts can finally bring them some much deserved comfort.

couple of things stood out for me in the judgement -

is this stuff that was subject to reporting restrictions I wonder, doesn't sound as if he is only referring to the dismemberment.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-live-updates-6823671

a bit of disbelief there possibly that the plan would not have been to let her go, but his hands are tied by the jury's verdict of manslaughter for SH?[/FONT][/COLOR]
A lot of disbelief. You can't just subdue someone, punch them in the face, sellotape over their mouth, shove them in a suitcase, take them somewhere for a 'telling off' and then release them without expecting the victim to report it, at least to their own family. Were they prepared to be charged with kidnap? I don't think so.

I think Jamie Reynolds was a serious risk to ANY female. In this case, perhaps it was thought that Becky was specifically targeted because she was his step-sister and he was intensely jealous of her. Perhaps the judge thought the kidnap texts regarding other young girls wouldn't have actually been acted upon?

I can't understand it either to be honest, his summing up comments seemed to tick all the boxes he had listed as needing to be ticked for a whole life sentence.

I can't see how this case is any different to that of Mark Bridger?

And with killers like Huntley and the killer of Sara Payne, they received huge sentences - 40 and 50 years iifc. I thought that if NM didn't get a whole life sentence, he'd get the years to ensure he didn't ever get out. I was anticipating at least 40 years for him. I thought around 17 for her, but I thought they would have to be served, all 17 of them.

BIB my thoughts exactly. I was expecting ( once Judge indicated no Whole of Life ) that he would start at 40 and then add on for the aggravating factors...

as for SH, I am sad. This is no sentence at all for this cold, perverted individual.

Clio, it's been so busy recently I forgot to thank you for posting all the twitter updates and more.

I only covered a couple of times and know what hard work it is to keep up with everything

so to Clio and anybody else who has helped along the way

:tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou:

Seconded : I so appreciate the time and effort you have all put in with tweets, links and information.

Too many to name individually, but you know who you are (practically everyone isn't it) :takeabow: :takeabow:

I can't even understand why the judge mentioned it. It isn't mitigating for what she did. If anything it should have given her more reason to want to protect Becky from harm.
BIB - I think that would be true for the average person. But SH's loveless background and lack of emotional security would probably have left her desensitised to someone else's pain. Not an excuse for her in any way, but a possible explanation as to why she didn't care about protecting Becky.

Like many of you, I have followed this case from the start.

I hoped that NM would get a whole life order but it seems the fact that he "confessed" and told police where Becky's remains were has prevented this from happening. 33 years is a long time and that is the first point at which he will be considered for parole - there is no guarantee it will be granted.

As for SH, if it hadn't been for police finding the "kidnap texts, etc" all evidence would have been circumstantial and there would be a fair chance she would only be looking at 2 years for perverting the course of justice.

I hope that the family are as okay as they can be with these sentences but most of all I hope that one day, they find out the truth about why this tragedy happened.

I feel disappointed. I hate to think SH could be free in 8.5 years after her part in one of the worst crimes I have ever heard about.

I hoped that NM would get a whole life order but it seems the fact that he "confessed" and told police where Becky's remains were has prevented this from happening. 33 years is a long time and that is the first point at which he will be considered for parole - there is no guarantee it will be granted.

As for SH, if it hadn't been for police finding the "kidnap texts, etc" all evidence would have been circumstantial and there would be a fair chance she would only be looking at 2 years for perverting the course of justice.

I hope that the family are as okay as they can be with these sentences but most of all I hope that one day, they find out the truth about why this tragedy happened.

Well said Clio! Agreed

A multi-agency serious case review will be held into Becky’s death and it’s findings will be published next summer.

Sally Lewis will chair the investigation by the Bristol Safeguarding Children Board (BSCB).

She said today: “Bristol’s Safeguarding Children Board will undertake a detailed analysis of what happened in this case and how agencies worked together. “Whilst it is understood we can never eliminate risk completely, we will be thorough in establishing what can be learnt from this very sad event to identify if there is anything that services can do differently in future.

“A report of findings from the Serious Case Review is anticipated in the summer, subject to consideration of any formal or legal processes including appeals or an inquest.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-live-updates-6823671

Are you sure he's not just referring to the press pack?

There was some kind of * disagreement * going on when I was watching the BBC report. The Beeb reporter was further up the road, so he couldnt see exactly who it was, and even his cameraman couldnt quite get the angle ! but the reporter sounded relieved he wasnt in the thick of it.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the sentence. Nathan 33yrs minimum he will be an old man when he gets out and he'll be on license and I expected Shouna to get 11 yrs and out in 5 so 17 and 8 yrs is much better. They will be on license when they are released so any bad behavior will land them back inside. Lets remember prison is as much about rehabilitation as punishment as it should be really. Personally though I'd have released both of them into the custody of. Becky's mum and gran and let justice be served by them.

Very true Clio, particularly re SH and the fact that she might have ended up with a very low sentence.
However, I just wish she had been given a minimum confirmed number of years for her sentence ( although I am not sure if that is even possible for manslaughter ? ) and not the hope/realisation that she might only have to serve half - and could be out in less than 8 years from now ( presume the time on remand counts, so she has almost 9 months covered already ).
I wonder though, how will she manage the having to say she was guilty bit ? doesn't she have to do that to get out early ?

As for either of them telling the truth. No chance. NM has his story and he will stick to it as the real version is probably far too awful for him to admit, particularly to AG.

And a huge thank you to Clio and everyone who posted tweets and updates.

I usually follow about 6 Twitter feeds when this is all happening, but it is good to be able to read back through this thread later and see everything in order.

:cheers: :takeabow: :tyou: :tyou:

I suppose in relation to perverting the course of justice he MAY have considered that their cover up didn't change the outcome, and that all murderers tend to hide their crimes. But I don't know, it seems they haven't been punished at all for what they did with Becky's body, only her killing. It seems like a crime in itself to me it is so heinous.

I feel disappointed. I hate to think SH could be free in 8.5 years after her part in one of the worst crimes I have ever heard about.

I wonder if the fact that we don't actually know what "her part" was, has lead to that sentence. In some ways, 17 years is quite high for manslaughter, isn't it? The lack of any forensic evidence linking her to the crime scene of Becky's death and the lack of any forensic evidence linking her to the scene of the dismemberment means that she could have, perhaps, only been found guilty of assisting an offender based on the small amounts of her dna on the mask and the bin bag.

I wonder, IF her participation was actually less than that sentence reflects, will she come clean and admit exactly what her part in it all was (including the motive) ..... or will she behave herself, and count herself lucky to have got away with as little as 8 years? Unless NM develops a conscience, I doubt he'll ever tell anyone. My only hope is that when he reflects on his 33 years with the possibility of never being released - and SH getting off lightly - he might decide to drop her in it and make her life a little bit harder. Maybe in 8 years time when he doesn't get the visit from her he is anticipating!

Did SH cry when the judge gave her 17 years for the manslaughter conviction?

IF not, my guess is that SH is actually delighted & feels smug that she got away with actual murder & might serve only half that

I suppose in relation to perverting the course of justice he MAY have considered that their cover up didn't change the outcome, and that all murderers tend to hide their crimes. But I don't know, it seems they haven't been punished at all for what they did with Becky's body, only her killing. It seems like a crime in itself to me it is so heinous.

Yes I agree that what they did with Becky's body is a heinous crime in itself.

It doesn't seem right to me that if SH had been guilty of *only* participating in the events after the murder, she would have only got three years. I would have been outraged if that had happened. Three years for chopping up and wrapping up and hiding a body?

I wonder if the judge used these separate charges as aggravating factors to increase the sentence on the manslaughter conviction, and that's why they're such short sentences?

Did SH cry when the judge gave her 17 years for the manslaughter conviction?

IF not, my guess is that SH is actually delighted & feels smug that she got away with actual murder & might serve only half that

The judge was the one crying.

"Judges usually conclude their remarks by "sending down" the defendants, but instead he left the court room with his head bowed and tears in his eyes.

In contrast Hoare and Matthews remained apparently emotionless. She stared blankly forward and he looked towards the ground."

bristolpost.co.uk/Becky-Watts-judge-breaks-tears-sentences-callous/story-28169790-detail/story.html#ixzz3rOGKvOWO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3