GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we just remember at the point that the allegation would have been made she was 13 years old and had not committed any crimes (as far as we know). She was a CHILD. I'm not 'guilt-tripping', it just feels uncomfortable to question the child she once was, and opens a can of worms in my opinion. Where do you draw the line?

I wasn't, I was querying the court procedure and what the judge was basing his words on. AFAIK we haven't been told prior to this that SH was raped at 13. "Attacked on the way to/from School" is all I recall?

Wonder if that was because he had already put in a guilty plea for those charges.

But sadly, doesnt make any difference for SH anyway, they are all running concurrent...
I know I was just interested in the breakdown lol. Right I'm off got to go get kids

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Even the judge cried.

The judge sentencing the couple who killed Becky Watts cried as he paid tribute to the dignity of the teenager’s family, who were forced to endure a long trial that relived the gruesome details of her murder and dismemberment.

In an unusually emotional sentencing, Mr Justice Dingemans had to stop speaking briefly and compose himself as he ruled that Nathan Matthews, Becky’s stepbrother and murderer, would serve at least 33 years behind bars.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rial-judge-cries-nathan-matthews-shauna-hoare

JG (Beckys grandad) on Sky just now (paraphrasing) the sentences are 'satisfying'

I've just been looking up sentences for manslaughter. Although I don't think SH got enough 17 years seems pretty hefty for

that offence. Manslaughter can be as little as a few years, taking into account the circumstances of course.

I must accept that Judge gave her the highest sentence he could, and one that will give her no reason to appeal.

eta: Adding up all those terms for each of her crimes comes to 35 years. I would have been more satisfied with that
This concurrent thingy is utterly ridiculous imo.

Can we just remember at the point that the allegation would have been made she was 13 years old and had not committed any crimes (as far as we know). She was a CHILD. I'm not 'guilt-tripping', it just feels uncomfortable to question the child she once was, and opens a can of worms in my opinion. Where do you draw the line?

When somebody has just lied and lied in a court and it's been reported that they were a fantasist as a child who lied about having cancer and being pregnant then, uncomfortable as it may be, it is just a logical thought process to then wonder if she lied about the rape too. Especially when it's now being brought up to get her a lighter sentence for her involvement in a killing of a teenage girl. She may have lied, she may not have lied but her own history of lying is what leads to wondering whether that was a lie too.

But I feel this discussion is distracting from the more important discussion about the case, and is possibly being used to express anger and frustration over other things, so I will bow out of the rape discussion.

When somebody has just lied and lied in a court and it's been reported that they were a fantasist as a child who lied about having cancer and being pregnant then, uncomfortable as it may be, it is just a logical thought process to then wonder if she lied about the rape too. Especially when it's now being brought up to get her a lighter sentence for her involvement in a killing of a teenage girl. She may have lied, she may not have lied but her own history of lying is what leads to wondering whether that was a lie too.

But I feel this discussion is distracting from the more important discussion about the case, and is possibly being used to express anger and frustration over other things, so I will bow out of the rape discussion.

Well said. Also, in my mind if it is true, just makes her actions and kidnap texts etc. more horrific. I don't think many rape victims would sympathize with her. JMO

They're fighting outside court, uh oh. I won't post the pic

James Witts ‏@james_witts 2m2 minutes ago
Stumbled across skuffle outside Bristol court. Becky Watts case. All v depressing

https://twitter.com/james_witts

THE SENTENCE - SHAUNA HOARE

Shauna Hoare, the girlfriend of Becky Watt's stepbrother Nathan Matthews, has been sentenced to for the teen's manslaughter.

Hoare was acquitted of Becky's murder but convicted of kidnap and manslaughter.

Conspiracy to kidnap - 10 years to run concurrently
Manslaughter - 17 years
Perverting the course of justice - 2 years to run concurrently
Preventing the lawful burial of Becky Watts - 3 years to run concurrently
Possessing a prohibited weapon, namely two stun guns - 2 years to run concurrently

http://www.itv.com/news/west/update...17-years-for-the-manslaughter-of-becky-watts/

I know they're concurrent sentences, but the 3 years for preventing lawful burial and 2 years for perverting the course of justice seem incredibly lenient to me.

Jon Kay Verified account  ‏@jonkay01 · 51 secs51 seconds ago
The grandfather and aunty of Becky Watts just told me they are "satisfied" with the sentences and feel they have got justice.

couple of things stood out for me in the judgement -

The judge has added that some of the ways Becky's remains were treated after her death 'defied any reasonable explanation'

is this stuff that was subject to reporting restrictions I wonder, doesn't sound as if he is only referring to the dismemberment. - I'm thinking of the removal of the tampon maybe.
The judge said: “I am sure the planned kidnap of Becky was for a sexual purpose.
“It is difficult to understand how Mr Matthews and Miss Hoare thought the kidnap would end.
“I’m also sure they took tape and handcuffs and at least one stun with them to subdue Becky.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-live-updates-6823671

a bit of disbelief there possibly that the plan would not have been to let her go, but his hands are tied by the jury's verdict of manslaughter for SH?

Who's fighting?? Both family's? How sad :( I bet beckys mother doesn't feel the sentances are near enough.

I don't know who, there are a lot of members of the public outside. could be anyone, but shows tensions are high.

I can't even understand why the judge mentioned it. It isn't mitigating for what she did. If anything it should have given her more reason to want to protect Becky from harm.

I know they're concurrent sentences, but the 3 years for preventing lawful burial and 2 years for perverting the course of justice seem incredibly lenient to me.

And the fact that they will all run concurrently doesn't really act as a deterrent. It kind of says if you're involved in a killing, then you've got nothing to lose by lying about it to police and hiding the body, because your sentence won't be any longer than if you hadn't acted like that after the killing.

And the fact that they will all run concurrently doesn't really act as a deterrent. It kind of says if you're involved in a killing, then you've got nothing to lose by lying about it to police and hiding the body, because your sentence won't be any longer than if you hadn't acted like that after the killing.

exactly. it seems as if the horrific aftermath, that is so distressing for the family to live with, is just being brushed under the carpet.

Clio, it's been so busy recently I forgot to thank you for posting all the twitter updates and more.

I only covered a couple of times and know what hard work it is to keep up with everything

so to Clio and anybody else who has helped along the way

:tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou::tyou:

JG (Beckys grandad) on Sky just now (paraphrasing) the sentences are 'satisfying'

Her Granddad closed by stating his view that the strong family bonds that Becky valued so much will be renewed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth