GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they not stuck on the kidnapping charges. LE tend to add as many charges to the charge sheet as possible
The UK doesn't go in for sending people to prison for 400 years like can happen with some cases in the US where sentencing time is accumulated.

Murder carries a life sentence with a minimum term. If they tried to bolt on anything else it would be likely to be served concurrently. So from that point of view may be a wasted effort.

Also without corroborating witness evidence the kidnap piece would be very tough to prove.

Imagine being the step-mum, devastated enough at what's happened to her then finding out it was your own son. Devastating for everyone involved! :(

All I can ask is WHY?

Imagine being the step-mum, devastated enough at what's happened to her then finding out it was your own son. Devastating for everyone involved! :(

All I can ask is WHY?
I'm afraid you are going to have to wait for the trial/s to find out the answer to that question. At a guess that will be a year away.

The UK doesn't go in for sending people to prison for 400 years like can happen with some cases in the US where sentencing time is accumulated.

Murder carries a life sentence with a minimum term. If they tried to bolt on anything else it would be likely to be served concurrently. So from that point of view may be a wasted effort.

Also without corroborating witness evidence the kidnap piece would be very tough to prove.

I don't think kidnap comes into it now. At the time the kidnap charges were made, there was still a possibility that Becky was being held alive somewhere.
It's looking more and more like she never left her home alive.

True it would be hard to corroborate.. regarding the charges though when I was doing my training contract at a law firm we were always told that as many charges as possible should be added to charge sheet in case prosecution fail to obtain a conviction on one of them

All I can ask is WHY?

I am not going to feel sorry for the stepmum and dad just yet. MOO

Perhaps they were mid disposal when arrested, and the cops needed to find the rundown house where the Zafira has been parked?

I don't think kidnap comes into it now. At the time the kidnap charges were made, there was still a possibility that Becky was being held alive somewhere.
It's looking more and more like she never left her home alive.

Respectfully, someone can still be charged with kidnapping, along with murder, because that person did not allow Becky to leave. At least here in the US... I need to go find a UK definition of kidnapping....

Oh this is such heartbreaking news. Like somebody said above think of how the step mum must feel. Losing your step daughter in such a brutal way and then realising that it was your own son who did that to her. Ugh. This all makes me so sick. What I think is strange is that they never mentioned the step brother at all in the MSM before there was an arrest and names. I'm wondering why? Especially if the mum was at the house possibly with him, why didn't they mention that he was there as well? They made it seem like she was home alone? There's still so many pieces missing but I really just want to know WHY?!

I am not going to feel sorry for the stepmum and dad just yet. MOO
That's heartless :/ She may be the mother of a murderer but he's lost his daughter in the must awful way! I don't know how you can't feel sorry for him? If he was to blame in any way he'd be in a cell right now.

If all these people are involved, I really can't get my head around how you convince someone to help you with something like this.

Did Becky have something on them on these devices?

Oh this is such heartbreaking news. Like somebody said above think of how the step mum must feel. Losing your step daughter in such a brutal way and then realising that it was your own son who did that to her. Ugh. This all makes me so sick. What I think is strange is that they never mentioned the step brother at all in the MSM before there was an arrest and names. I'm wondering why? Especially if the mum was at the house possibly with him, why didn't they mention that he was there as well? They made it seem like she was home alone? There's still so many pieces missing but I really just want to know WHY?!

Because the police probably had a good idea of who was responsible from early on. They only give out information to the public on a need-to-know basis for obvious reasons. They wanted information about the car, so that was made public.

Lots of comments on the A&S Police FB page top article atm...

228 in the last he or so...

I just hope that this was an impulsive (like the family suggested in one of the appeals), one off, terrible thing, and not the tragic end of a sustained period of abuse of Becky.

If all these people are involved, I really can't get my head around how you convince someone to help you with something like this.

Did Becky have something on them on these devices?
I could be wrong (there's no logical answers to these things) but I'd guess there was some kind of sexual motive :( maybe a one off or possibly ongoing abuse.

That's heartless :/ She may be the mother of a murderer but he's lost his daughter in the must awful way! I don't know how you can't feel sorry for him? If he was to blame in any way he'd be in a cell right now.

I will feel sorry for them when my personal suspicions are erased (not that I think they may be murderers). I'm not going to join everyone else with suddenly gushing sympathies because it's far too early to come to a conclusion yet. I certainly feel heartbroken for all innocent relatives and friends.

It is very early in the investigation and we don't know we're it will lead yet. There are continuing developments.

Respectfully, someone can still be charged with kidnapping, along with murder, because that person did not allow Becky to leave. At least here in the US... I need to go find a UK definition of kidnapping....

I'm sure that can't be right, otherwise any murder carried out in the victim's home could be classed as kidnap.

True it would be hard to corroborate.. regarding the charges though when I was doing my training contract at a law firm we were always told that as many charges as possible should be added to charge sheet in case prosecution fail to obtain a conviction on one of them
Slightly confused, the CPS prosecutes cases so they would be the people adding the charges not a law firm.

In my experience the CPS only pursues charges they believe they have a very high chance of winning in court. Not seen this scatter gun approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuthchic