GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can assume that in this case justice was perverted by "fabricating or disposing of evidence". I wonder if SH sent the text 'would anyone miss me if I disappeared?'. This must have been sent before she died, so could indicate forethought and explain the wording (intending as opposed to attempting) in the charge.

JMO

Did police ever say on which date and at what time that text was sent?

I always thought that Becky didn't leave the house, or at least not of her own accord (given the amount of forensic activity at her home). There were others in the house at the time ("heard her music turned off and door slam"), but LE and family have never confirmed who they were. If what the step-mum says is true - and there's no reason atm not to believe her - she saw Becky that morning. My guess is that step-mum and Dad knew exactly who was in the house when the step-mum left - unless they were suspicious from the start, I don't understand why they wouldn't publicly acknowledge them. The original kidnapping charge made me think that Becky accepted the offer of a lift from her step-brother to her boyfriends house (given how close they were), something happened en route or at the boyfriend's house and his girlfriend covered for him by providing an alibi (given the lesser charge of perverting the course of justice, I don't think she was complicit in the murder). It's also possible that Becky never made it out of her own house alive (given lack of CCTV) and might explain the ongoing forensics at her home (body transported in boot of step-brother's car?). I think the other 5 have been arrested because they live or are close to those who live in the house where the body parts were found, so at least one of them is involved in at least the disposal of the body. But I find it very hard to believe that all 5 of them were complicit. All IMO, just trying to make sense of it all.

Oh yes, I'd forgetten that Becky 'disappeared' on her brother's birthday. I wonder if its relevant - seems too much of a coincidence not to be.
Is it a coincidence that my Mum died on Halloween?

My guess is that step-mum and Dad knew exactly who was in the house when the step-mum left - unless they were suspicious from the start, I don't understand why they wouldn't publicly acknowledge them.

Probably because the police told them not to. There must have been something that pointed the finger towards NM at an early stage, otherwise, as you say, it would have been natural to mention him.

Sorry if this has been asked- I am still catching up.

In general, is it telling in the UK that someone would be arrested on suspicion of aiding a criminal or what the terminology was as opposed to 'assisting police with enquiries'?

In Ireland if we reported a fact in a crime but were blameless - we would be assisting or helping the guards.

If someone is arrested on suspicion- does that imply evidence is there to show involvement (true or otherwise) or just standard process? Arrested to me would imply I can't leave if I need to- can someone clear it up and say if it's literally just standard?

Thanks - I also thought that. But given how many members of the family and friends were posting on FB and speaking to the press (including Becky's mum and family), I didn't think the police would be able to tell everyone not to mention NM. But you're probably right. I know we're not supposed to discuss anything other than MSM, so sorry if this is outside of the rules, but since he's been charged - was NM's named on Twitter/FB as a possible suspect prior to being arrested for kidnapping?

Did police ever say on which date and at what time that text was sent?

I tried to pull up the newspaper article in which it was reported, but the site is saying article not found.

From memory, I thought the text had been sent on Wednesday February 18th.

here we go...have found it - was claimed to be the day before - so Wed 18th

Police have refused to comment on allegations that missing schoolgirl Becky Watts sent a text message stating "who would miss me if I disappeared" the day before she was last seen.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rebecca-watts-missing-friends-claim-5237904

I don't think it is common that people think that others are capable of murder - especially family members. I think the family is very supportive , which makes me think that it is a good clue of their maturity and they have a very good chance of staying together through this. I only blame the persons responsible of this tragedy and as far as we know so far there is two people charged - not even convicted yet. We have no idea what happened and blaming others that are grieving at this time seems pretty pointless. Not saying that directed at anyone - just my own thoughts about what has happened thus far.

Respectfully, someone can still be charged with kidnapping, along with murder, because that person did not allow Becky to leave. At least here in the US... I need to go find a UK definition of kidnapping....

The UK definition of kidnapping would be the "taking or carrying away of one person by another, by force or fraud, without the consent of the person taken or carried away, and without lawful excuse".

http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/areas/kidnapping.htm

Simply 'not allowing someone to leave' would not be kidnapping, it would be false imprisonment.

I don't think kidnap comes into it now. At the time the kidnap charges were made, there was still a possibility that Becky was being held alive somewhere.
It's looking more and more like she never left her home alive.

I believe that you are very likely correct.

In general, is it telling in the UK that someone would be arrested on suspicion of aiding a criminal or what the terminology was as opposed to 'assisting police with enquiries'?

In Ireland if we reported a fact in a crime but were blameless - we would be assisting or helping the guards.

If someone is arrested on suspicion- does that imply evidence is there to show involvement (true or otherwise) or just standard process? Arrested to me would imply I can't leave if I need to- can someone clear it up and say if it's literally just standard?

Shauna is charged with attempting to "pervert the course of justice" meaning she tried to cover up his crime...for eg she may have helped hide the body or simply lied about what she'd seen...or knew...or she may have simple done nothing except not report the crime she knew had happened.

Yes it is telling.

Someone assisting the Police with their enquiries would be doing exactly that. It is a voluntary thing. They would be free to walk out of an interview at any time. They are not detained in custody.

When someone is arrested they are detained, they have the right to a lawyer etc. The Police would not necessarily have a lot of evidence (or any) in order to arrest someone but they have to have good reason to suspect their involvement in a crime.

What a day... do we know if JI is the 5th person arrested?

The Avonmouth property is about 10 miles/half hour away from BC property. I wondered what the link between the occupier of this property and those at BC was. They have very few friends in common and very tenuous links... and then I saw that he works at Airbus as does KD

"Helping the police with their enquiries" is a polite euphemism in the UK and implies that you are under suspicion! It's not the same as reporting something dodgy that you've noticed, or responding to an appeal on Crimewatch.

Put it this way - if you go to the police and tell them that there's human body parts in your shed, they are not going to just take your word for it that you had nothing to do with that person's demise. They will need to investigate it fully and very likely that will involve arresting you. But it will depend on the circumstances and every case will be different.

About the parents relationship:

Please remember that the step mom is a mom, who lost a daughter and a son. She did not do anything wrong. We do not know their relationship, and it's invasive and offensive to speculate. And quite frankly, it's none of our damm business to be talking about.

I would like to extend my sympathies to the young boyfriend of Rebecca. His pain comes at a time in his life when life itself is an emotional roller coaster. To know that his girlfriend lay so close to his home must add another level of pain, I hope that this young man has a good support network. So many people hurt ......

About the parents relationship:

Please remember that the step mom is a mom, who lost a daughter and a son. She did not do anything wrong. We do not know their relationship, and it's invasive and offensive to speculate. And quite frankly, it's none of our damm business to be talking about.

Hear, hear!

You can be the best parent in the world, and there's always still that chance your child will commit a crime when they're an adult. You can't be responsible for your child's behaviour forever.

I hope you are right, but I suspect that there was sustained abuse. I expect her step-brother's presence was why why the poor child chose not to sleep in her own home the previous night.

That's a bit of a leap, isn't it? Has there been any indication that NM spent the night at his mother's home? Surely he would have been at home with his girlfriend and child.

I speculated the same thing upthread. The behaviors attributed to Becky align with an abuse victim. Not saying this is the case, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Her best friend probably knows a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member