Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rupert Evelyn ‏@rupertevelyn 51s51 seconds ago
Shauna Hoare, 21, of Cotton Mill Lane, Bristol, has been charged with intending to pervert the course of justice. #BeckyWatts

So both Nathan Matthews and Shauna Hoare charged, nm with murder, Shauna with intendingg to pervert the course of justice. Presumably Shauna Hoare is Shauna Phillips legal name.

Sky news - NM charged with murder, SP perverting course of justice.

Sorry if you felt that people were disagreeing with your point of view. There isn't a wrong or right people are just expressing their opinions and offering interpretations.

Your post about statistics came across a little bit like you were saying I'm right and you're definitely wrong but you're entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong but I'm definitely right.

As a previous poster said if 99% of the time something happens 1% of the time it doesn't. There are still two possibilities. So to then use that to declare yourself 100% right would actually be 100% wrong.

I am sorry if that's how it came across, but I brought statistics up to show how I had come to form my opinion. Because my personal experience of this subject is backed up by the statistics. Or the statistics reflect my personal experience might be a better way of saying it.

I never claimed to be definitely right, I even stated in my first post about this that I could be way off, and I could, because there always is that one percent. But even though I stated that, I felt my opinion was dismissed immediately as simply jumping on the bandwagon. Except, I am not jumping on any bandwagon, I have formed that opinion of this case based on the same info that everyone else has. My opinion isn't any less correct just because it doesn't go against the grain.

Interesting the charge is intending to and not attempting to pervert the course of justice, is that significant perhaps?

I'm going to back away from this now. It's aimed at me methinks. I stated my point, replied in kind and apologised - as I said before we can agree to disagree but I'm not going to be dragged into an argument about it
Edit: realised I've linked your quote Wallace. .apologies
No worries.

Interesting the charge is intending to and not attempting to pervert the course of justice, is that significant perhaps?

Most interesting ......... forethought as opposed to helping out later ?

Perverting the course of justice

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/...of_justice_-_rape_and_dv_allegations/#offence

4. The course of justice includes the police investigation of a possible crime (it is not necessary for legal proceedings to have begun). A false allegation which risks the arrest or wrongful conviction of an innocent person is enough. The word pervert can mean 'alter' but the behaviour does not have to go that far - any act that interferes with an investigation or causes it to head in the wrong direction may tend to pervert the course of justice. All the prosecution needs to prove is that there is a possibility that what the suspect has done "without more" might lead to a wrongful consequence, such as the arrest of an innocent person (Murray (1982) 75 Cr. App. R. 58).

I was curious as to what "perverting the course of justice" meant and looked up a definition. While this is in an article about rape allegations, I believe it applies to Shauna's charge in and of itself. There are other factors, as well, in the linked article.

And from the A and S website

Today (04/03), two people have been charged in connection with the Becky Watts investigation.

Nathan Matthews, 28, of Cotton Mill Lane, Bristol, has been charged with the murder of Rebecca Watts. He remains in custody and is due before Bristol Magistrates’ Court tomorrow at 10am.

Shauna Hoare, 21, of Cotton Mill Lane, Bristol, has been charged with intending to pervert the course of justice. She remains in custody and is due before Bristol Magistrates’ Court tomorrow at 10am.

The four men and one woman who were arrested on Monday on suspicion of assisting an offender remain in police custody at this time. A warrant of further detention was granted for these suspects at hearing earlier today.
https://www.avonandsomerset.police....in-connection-with-becky-watts-investigation/

So both Nathan Matthews and Shauna Hoare charged, nm with murder, Shauna with intendingg to pervert the course of justice. Presumably Shauna Hoare is Shauna Phillips legal name.

Unfortunate surname

We can assume that in this case justice was perverted by "fabricating or disposing of evidence". I wonder if SH sent the text 'would anyone miss me if I disappeared?'. This must have been sent before she died, so could indicate forethought and explain the wording (intending as opposed to attempting) in the charge.

JMO

For clarity, perverting the course of justice is a very specific term, it only covers a few very different specific things.
In this case, it'll likely be trying to dispose of evidence, to be specific, beckys body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member