GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can assume that in this case justice was perverted by "fabricating or disposing of evidence". I wonder if SH sent the text 'would anyone miss me if I disappeared?'. This must have been sent before she died, so could indicate forethought and explain the wording (intending as opposed to attempting) in the charge.

JMO

That may well be a very good call! Good thinking otc

We can assume that in this case justice was perverted by "fabricating or disposing of evidence". I wonder if SH sent the text 'would anyone miss me if I disappeared?'. This must have been sent before she died, so could indicate forethought and explain the wording (intending as opposed to attempting) in the charge.

JMO
If she sent the text (which I believe was sent on Wednesday) then that could open up a whole different box of worms.

JMO

Or maybe she sent the texts to Becky's boyfriend arranging to meet up later? We don't know if Becky was still alive at that point. If she wasn't, then posing as Becky to send a text does alter the time line police were working to, and interferes with the investigation.

Maybe the charges relate to giving him a false alibi or something. For their child's sake, I hope her role was very minor.

Perverting the course of justice can carry a life sentence.

For clarity, perverting the course of justice is a very specific term, it only covers a few very different specific things.
In this case, it'll likely be trying to dispose of evidence, to be specific, beckys body.

Maxine Carr was charged with conspiring to pervert the course of justice for providing a false alibi: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/apr/16/ukcrime2

I guess we won't know the precise details until the trial.

It's the intending to bit that struck me the most as usually you see folk being charged with attempting to, I've never seen the use of the word intending in relation to that charge before which makes me wonder just exactly what her role was and how much she knew.

Conspiring indicates working together imo. Another different terminology.

It's the intending to bit that struck me the most as usually you see folk being charged with attempting to, I've never seen the use of the word intending in relation to that charge before which makes me wonder just exactly what her role was and how much she knew.
I thought the same about them being arrested on suspicion of kidnapping rather than abduction which is used more commonly.

Why do so many people put JMO or IMO in their posts.

Not a criticism, a genuine question.

BTW I know what they both mean.

Is there some widely held mistaken belief that tacking those phrases onto a post is some kind of magical shield against legal action?

I suspect that some posters probably do think that. ;)

As for me, I never use JMO or MOO. It is implicit that a post is the poster's opinion, aside from factual content. Occasionally I might include IMO in a sentence, for clarification, if I feel there may be some ambiguity.

Have they not stuck on the kidnapping charges. LE tend to add as many charges to the charge sheet as possible

Statement from the CPS here: http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2015-03-04/cps-authorises-charges-in-relation-to-becky-watts/

"Having carried out a detailed review of the evidence gathered by Avon and Somerset Police, my conclusion is that there is sufficient evidence to charge Nathan Matthews with the murder of Becky Watts.

"I have also concluded that there is sufficient evidence to charge Shauna Hoare with attempting to pervert the course of justice.

"I have therefore today authorised Avon and Somerset police to charge them with these offences and they will appear before Bristol Magistrates' Court tomorrow morning.

"Proceedings are now ongoing and the defendants have the right to a fair trial. It is very important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings."

How awful. Someone who was brought into her life and should have been a protector, someone to look up to and instead, this :(

I feel so sad for her family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member