Found Deceased UK - Richard Okorogheye, 19, Oxford Student, Ladbroke Grove, West London, 24 Mar 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if they search the whole of the forest to find nothing . Are they hoping if he is alive he will seek medical help when the time comes ( and probably rather soon) for his next infusion. Could it be possible he go to the hospital and use a false name in a area away from where he would be known ? All In hope of not being known

What happens if they search the whole of the forest to find nothing . Are they hoping if he is alive he will seek medical help when the time comes ( and probably rather soon) for his next infusion. Could it be possible he go to the hospital and use a false name in a area away from where he would be known ? All In hope of not being known

Could it be possible he go to the hospital and use a false name in a area away from where he would be known

The trouble is with that, is the treatment he needs is a blood transfusion and that is quite a serious thing. They'll need to match blood types etc. and by the time he gets this treatment he may be seriously ill. Then the hospital will be interested in his previous medical history etc etc.
I can't just see anyone turning up to a random hospital and asking for a blood transfusion with a fake name. They'll need to find you in the NHS database.

The lockdown/shielding was a bad situation for Richard with his mum out for long shifts, then returning and needing sleep. It is understandable that he would want to go out/meet people. It is possible he had been leaving the house before during her shifts and looking at the CCTV footage he did appear to be comfortable with his surroundings although he could have been trying to give the taxi driver this impression before finding his bearings after it had gone hence the look back.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of missing teenager Richard Okorogheye, 19, have appealed directly to the student in a desperate bid for him to return home.

"It comes as police units begin their third day of searches in Epping Forrest in Essex.

The Metropolitan Police have said that 'nothing of relevance to the investigation has been found' so far.................

Detective Superintendent Danny Gosling, head of the Met’s Central West Public Protection Unit, said: “People can go missing from home for any of number of reasons. Our job is not to cast judgement but to work to find them and bring them home safely.

“My message to Richard is clear. Our only concern is your safety................

"You are not in trouble and have done nothing wrong. If you read or hear this message we would ask you to contact us, or someone you trust, to let us know you are safe. Your loved ones and many other people who you do not even know, are very concerned.............."

'Nothing of relevance' found in search for missing Richard Okorogheye

I very much doubt it.

The treatment regime for sickle cell disease in NHS England is managed in hospitals by haematologists. You can't just rock up and self refer. He would have to establish a whole new identity that could be entered into a GP database and then referred to the hospital or he would need to be admitted via A&E. The haem team would want to know where previous treatment had been, and refusal to disclose would be highly unusual. And if haem teams are aware that there's a misper with a particular condition, then they could at least send a confidential 'we might have him' message - balancing patient confidentiality with what is in best interests

If he has gone deliberately missing, then his new whereabouts need not be divulged to his family, and they would just get a 'safe and well' message (still heartbreaking to realise he has left, but so much better than so many alternatives) and police could stop their search

JMO - based in part on being a haem patient for a different condition

Good Morning everyone. I see there have been no updates so far, I understand they're still searching the forest, however it's such a massive area I'm not convinced they will be able to search it in it's entirety - But it did occur to me whether or not he entered the forest, could he have met someone in a vehicle close to the forest?

Also have they looked at nearby houses/gardens, my friends have houses that all back on to the forest yet none of them have been spoken to or been asked to check their gardens or CCTV?

Hi all

Im new here, I feel I had to sign up and share my worries for Richard...

I first came across this missing persons on ITV news Thursday nite..

What struck me was the interview with Richards mother <modsnip>.. how she kept saying "you are not in trouble please come home"...

Something doesn't sit right, regarding the mum... Why the delay in reporting him missing ??... Why would he be in trouble ??

I don't want to offend anyone, but alarm bells are going off in my sleuth mind

Hi all

What struck me was the interview with Richards mother <modsnip>.. how she kept saying "you are not in trouble please come home"...

Something doesn't sit right, regarding the mum... Why the delay in reporting him missing ??... Why would he be in trouble ??

This is normal for addressing missing persons, I'm sure LE advised her to reassure him.jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Just to clarify here that she reported him missing really quite early because she was very worried about her son and especially how vulnerable he was with his medical condition.

She says that she had asked to the police to find her son but they had told her that they wouldn’t be able to find her if she couldn’t find him herself. His face was all over social media before the police even seemed to pick up the case and this only seemed to happen properly after all the media traction.

I really feel for Richard’s mum, as a nurse who has been working through these horrible times, it must be really tough. I also find it really sad how she thinks her imperfect English (which is really actually very good) had played a part in the police not taking her seriously.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
She went out on Monday at about 7.30pm for an 8pm night shift. He left at about 8.30pm and took the bus to Paddington, we now know. She tried to call from work twice, once at 10ish (rang unanswered), once at 11ish (didn't ring, provider later told her it was turned off). She returned the next morning at 8.30am-ish then went to bed and woke up again about 2pm, when she realised he was not at home and probably hadn't been all night. She became alarmed at about 5pm and called the locksmith and the police.

I was confused too but she gave an interview which is linked upthread and all these timings are gone through in order.

It's particularly awful that the police were so slack at first, I think, because she seems to have been so on the ball - alerting the phone provider to try and establish his whereabouts/status, checking if he'd taken wallet, medicine etc. She did all the right things and just got fobbed off and insulted for her trouble.

She says he had a lock on his door "for privacy". I think it's odd myself. I have sons of a similar age and would be concerned by that tbh, though obviously I do respect their privacy. Under the circumstances, there may be more to it in Richard's case, but many here have said they think it's pretty normal, so hey.

HTH
Thank you that makes more sense regarding mum’s work shift. I must have read something that had made a mistake in the original reporting.

I do think it is possible he had a lock on the door to protect his valuables if he had a lot of expensive IT. I did have a friend who had a lock on their living room door for that reason. They were worried about burglary and so added another lock in the house. Although I think an internal door would be kicked open in about 30 seconds if someone wanted to break in.

I totally agree that the police were slack. I am local and have been active on SM from the start of this case. We were going to hold a meeting and a search locally but then the news about Essex came to light so it seemed our efforts locally were not needed.

My son is the same age as Richard. He was telling me that people do approach you when you play games online and do sometimes suggest meeting. I do also feel this could be a case of County Lines grooming.
I also think it is strange that Richard didn’t take his coat. That is very odd because even going out to the bins here my son grabs his jacket- it is cold in the evenings. So Richard must have thought he was going straight to someone’s house and then maybe coming home? I wonder if he has been doing this regularly and making some money. Didn’t want to tell his mum because he is supposed to be shielding? If the pandemic hadn’t happened presumably Richard would have left home last September and moved into a new home in Oxford for university. So he could have been really disappointed about this.

I am just thinking out loud and not got anything useful to post really but I try to read everything I can about the case in the hope there will be a breakthrough. I have said to other locals that I am here for mum or for anything they need in the way of support or searching. I cannot go to Essex to search because I cannot leave my children alone for a long time and I do not have a car. If I was able to I would have searched there. I think SM has put pressure on the police to act. Hopefully they are doing everything now.

Does any one think the way the statement this morning from the police is phrased strongly implies they have reason to believe RO is alive? Or does that simply mean they’ve found nothing of interest in the forest/their searches so far? MOO

Last edited:
Richard Okorogheye: let someone know you are safe, say Met police

“My message to Richard is clear: our only concern is your safety. You are not in trouble and have done nothing wrong. If you read or hear this message we would ask you to contact us, or someone you trust, to let us know you are safe. Your loved ones, and many other people who you do not even know, are very concerned.

Yep - the cctv of him getting out the cab just seems to me like he knows exactly where he is going/has been there before. If he hadn't, and even if he had for some reason wanted to go to that specific location, I would expect him to be a bit more hesitant getting out the cab/walking up smart's lane - especially in the dark. There doesn't seem to be any hesitation at all - no looking around really to get his bearings other than once backward as the cab drives off - as he walks out of shot he's looking down at his phone - that seems like a strange thing to do if you've just arrived in a place you have never been before. Then again, as you say it also depends on his frame of mind at the time. JMO

He could've been following directions on his phone - I use Google maps on my phone to get to unfamiliar places - it's like satnav but you can choose driving, cycling, public transport or walking - I was using it in London once on a day trip with my children and this very ladeda posh but nasty older lady knocked right into me on purpose and said 'get off your bloody phone' as she did so! ...

Does any one think the way the statement this morning from the police is phrased strongly implies they have reason to believe RO is alive? Or does that simply mean they’ve found nothing of interest in the forest/their searches so far? MOO

I wondered that. The direct appeal to him seems like a departure from the comms up to now. It certainly implies to me that their searches on the forest have yielded zero evidence or even leads to follow up on. In the breach, this would suggest a whole other scenario than suicide or foul play (there, at least), which strengthens the idea that he had a specific place or person in mind as a destination, and that his absence is voluntary (or started off that way, anyway). I think this would inevitably change their approach.

Like a previous poster, I've shifted my view as time's gone on too. I was sure we were looking at a suicide scenario originally, but more and more I suspect a planned rendezvous that may or may not have gone wrong.

I do find it hard to believe that he would not have made contact by now if he could, though.

I wonder about other friends too, he doesn't seem to have social media, so possibly a modest lad. unassuming young man?

I too wondered about Richards friends... I haven't seen any tweets/instagram posts/fb remarks from any friends (not to say such posts don't exist of course), but was curious about his friendship group as a lot of teens that age are active on social media.

I too wondered about Richards friends... I haven't seen any tweets/instagram posts/fb remarks from any friends (not to say such posts don't exist of course), but was curious about his friendship group as a lot of teens that age are active on social media.

From my knowledge of my brother’s activity on social media (he is the same age as Richard and lives in the UK) - FB isn’t really something that him or his friends seem to use - he says he has an account but no one really uses it. None of his friends that he knows of use Twitter (I asked him this morning) - he said they use Snapchat mainly and Instagram. Obviously JMO but with this in mind it doesn’t seem too abnormal to me that he doesn’t have fb/Twitter - I saw somewhere he had Snapchat I think?

The thing I noticed in this statement was the police saying, "we are not here to cast judgement", almost as if something is known about circumstances surrounding this disappearance which we are not aware of ? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

My 4 year old daughter doesnt have sickle cell but she has a rare blood called Diamond Blackfan Anemia where her body doesnt make red blood cells. Like Richard, she needs a blood transfusions every 3-4 weeks. I am so worried about Richard as I know with my daughter as it gets closer to her transfusion date, she becomes very tired and sleeps alot of the day, . She has already had a stroke as her levels got so low that it deprived her brain of oxygen.

Having transfusiom quite regularly Richard would be on iron overload medication like my daughter as iron overload can be fatal as the excess iron deposits into major organs like the heart when it has no where to go. This medication for iron overload can be quite toxic and causes alot of other medical issues also. So Richard would have alot going on and would need his medication and a transfusion

I just wanted to give abit of an insight into someone who is transfusion dependent. I pray Richard is found soon. I couldnt imagine what his mum is feeling.

Forgive the slight off topic comment but I just wanted to say hello from one parent of a Stroke survivor to another! My daughter had an ischaemic stroke at 13, no definitive cause found but doing my own research means that I have at least heard of DBA.

Hugs to you both xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member