Found Safe UK - Riina Sjogren, 38, Finnish tourist, Edinburgh, 9 Jan 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for bringing that case up. I hadn't known of that poor woman and a general search of similar cases is concerning. :(

I don't want to derail this thread but I was in touch with the woman's friend a couple of years ago, the family believes without a doubt she was murdered.

Sorry for the double post but the formatting went mad when I tried to edit the last one. It's believed she left the airport at 20.50 and arrived at York Place at 22.20. The tram arriving at YP at that time leaves the airport at 21.40. So what was she doing for nearly an hour? Did she break the journey somewhere? There are trams and buses every 10 mins so she wasn't hanging around waiting for transport..

So she queued for a ticket which she bought and then abandoned her luggage etc and left the airport?

Question for anyone local: my trusty Google map says 30 minutes by bus or tram. But it took her 1 hour 30 minutes based on LEs time frame. Does that make sense?

Wondering if she had time to do something else at the airport...
8d84e096e985e62784586debc233c6d1.jpg
d24a6749ef20e2cff6fab515edb30901.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Hi Yurena,

Yes, Finnish is my mother tongue so try to bear with my broken English, please ;)

Finnish newspaper articles do not say anything about her personal life (husband, children).
She was travelling alone though, and her sister and friends thought that she was in London (where she worked some years ago) instead. One article also says that she isn't employed at the moment.

I agree with you that foul play is very unlikely.

Catholic religion is not common in Finland at all (around 70% of the population belongs to the Evangelic Lutheran church) so I wonder if there are any Catholic churches/places of religious signifigance in Edinburgh/Scotland.

I do hope I'm wrong but I get an impression of a mental health situation/self-harm here :( JMO.

I wonder if Edinburgh police is checking out the CCTVs in York Place area. I haven't heard anything of pinging her mobile phone, either. Any bodies of water close to York Place?

I'm worried about her, she needs to be found asap!

The latest article is managed to find attached:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5272361/Finnish-tourist-disappeared-week-ago-missing.html

LemonMint - I see you can read Finnish, does this newspaper article say anything about her personal life (is there a husband, any children?)?

Did she spend Christmas/New Year celebrations in Scotland on her own or was it a weekend trip that she took after the Xmas holidays?

I am guessing -maybe incorrectly- that if police forces are not releasing details of the destination on the flight ticket that might mean she was not Finland-bound but going somewhere else instead.

I lived/worked in Edinburgh for quite a while (2000-2008) and I can't really say this is a dangerous city at all. Aside from some streets in Pilton and Meadowbank -which are far away from the city centre anyway- Portobello at night -it is lovely during the day- and a couple of other areas, the city feels really safe so I am not suspecting foul play in this case. Jmho.

I haven't spotted the information on 3-4 days in Edinburgh myself. Could you provide a link, please?
TIA :)

3-4 days in Edinburgh - earlier three or four days in London. The trip to Edinburgh hadn't been planned on her itinerary.

I wonder whether Riina could have left her luggage in the storage service at EDI airport and the personnel was alerted when she failed to pick it on time: http://www.edinburghairport.com/prepare/services-and-facilities/left-luggage?

I don't know whether the destination (and date) of the flight ticket she bought at the airport is important or not regarding her disappearance but I checked the evening departures from EDI today (January 9th was Tuesday as well) and there don't seem to be too many : http://www.edinburghairport.com/flights/live-flight-departures

It is possible though that the flight she booked was for Wed morning, the 10th of January, when it would make some sense that she returned back to Edinburgh city without her luggage, and something went wrong..

I haven't spotted the information on 3-4 days in Edinburgh myself. Could you provide a link, please?
TIA :)

3-4 days in Edinburgh - earlier three or four days in London. The trip to Edinburgh hadn't been planned on her itinerary.

I'd be interested to know, too, where you got this information, John Bishop's Cross. I haven't seen any news outlet or the police confirm that Riina was first in London, let alone tell about her more detailed travel plans. None of her friends seem to know anything; according to the interviews in the media Riina's friends assumed that Riina was on holiday in London, but they don't seem to know anything certain about her trip to UK.

Not telling anyone (or at least any friend or family member) of her trip to Edinburgh seems to be out of character for Riina, which could mean that something was "wrong" or different from her normal behaviour already before she disappeared in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh may be a 'safe' city compared to others but there has been a number of attacks on women recently and all it takes is one weirdo.

I do hope she is found soon, but this isn't looking good.

Thanks for sharing the new info.

It sounds like a mental health issue to me now. After what her family said, and just leaving everything at the airport.... it sounds like she's had enough and has just gone off on her own. I hope we find out where she has gone and that she is ok!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing the new info.

It sounds like a mental health issue to me now. After what her family said, and just leaving everything at the airport.... it sounds like she's had enough and has just gone off on her own. I hope we find out where she has gone and that she is ok!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If that's the case then hopefully she is lying low for a bit and will reappear soon

I wonder whether Riina could have left her luggage in the storage service at EDI airport and the personnel was alerted when she failed to pick it on time: http://www.edinburghairport.com/prepare/services-and-facilities/left-luggage?

I don't know whether the destination (and date) of the flight ticket she bought at the airport is important or not regarding her disappearance but I checked the evening departures from EDI today (January 9th was Tuesday as well) and there don't seem to be too many : http://www.edinburghairport.com/flights/live-flight-departures

It is possible though that the flight she booked was for Wed morning, the 10th of January, when it would make some sense that she returned back to Edinburgh city without her luggage, and something went wrong..

Wow! Is the 'luggage storage' something like lockers? Because those were removed from American airports after 9-11-2001.

Or does this mean her luggage was checked, and then she never boarded the plane? Which makes more sense- how else would they know / care she didn't take the plane she had a ticket for? I have bought cheaper round-trip tix intending to only use it one way and no one from the airline has ever even contacted me to ask where I was after 'missing' the return flight.Because in the airline's eyes, as long as my luggage was not on the plane- no one cares.

Walking from the airport to Gogar at that time of night is not normal behaviour. It's not a pleasant walk, even in daylight. Glasgow Road is a very busy, fast road so it's unpleasant and tedious to walk on the shared use path alongside. Also the airport is so well-served by public transport that there's no reason to walk it. Add in the other behaviour and I sadly think Riina may have been having a mental health episode.

I'm sure all the night shelters and homeless outreach places have been alerted yet nothing. This does not look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties