UK UK - Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, York, 20 Nov 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I only read this page tonight and prior to that had only read about Rory in the local paper. I always assumed he had fell in the river, but it didn’t make sense that he hasn’t been recovered, so the alternative local rumour is he ran off and made a new life (the thought process was as shallow as that) Strangely I only heard about him being on the care home balcony via this page today, so I am now going to have a look back through our local papers and Facebook pages and have a think about that.

I'd be interested to know how he accessed the balcony of the care home, but I'm wondering with it being riverside if there's a public access pathway along there, and the "balcony" is at ground floor level (ie he didn't need to go inside the building).

Question is, what happened in that 6 minutes that made him run, and why did Rory, instead of heading straight over the roundabout to his hotel, turn right and go over the bridge? Was he meeting someone? What is next to the care home, residential?

I'd be interested to know how he accessed the balcony of the care home, but I'm wondering with it being riverside if there's a public access pathway along there, and the "balcony" is at ground floor level (ie he didn't need to go inside the building).

Question is, what happened in that 6 minutes that made him run, and why did Rory, instead of heading straight over the roundabout to his hotel, turn right and go over the bridge? Was he meeting someone? What is next to the care home, residential?
Having watched his mums walkthrough (linked further up) he had to climb a 6 foot fence to access the balcony where he was caught on CCTV ( all shown very clearly), where he went and which way are still a mystery. It is pretty much residential around there.

Having watched his mums walkthrough (linked further up) he had to climb a 6 foot fence to access the balcony where he was caught on CCTV ( all shown very clearly), where he went and which way are still a mystery. It is pretty much residential around there.

I can't find that video, would you mind reposting it please?

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Thanks for the video, I hadn't seen that before. Why would he have gone right round there, meeting someone, gone to score? Might explain a few things, like the new friend's story.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Thanks for the video, I hadn't seen that before. Why would he have gone right round there, meeting someone, gone to score? Might explain a few things, like the new friend's story.
At this moment in time I have no idea or theories. I did find a map showing the bridge he crossed in the bottom right and the house indicates the care home. You can see there would have been access around the river area (had it not been slightly flooded), so he was went through the car park and over the fence of the grounds onto a slightly raised balcony, but watching the video looked like it still had steps down to the river. No real reason though why you wouldn’t just follow the road.
Quick question- did I hear at the beginning that Rory had worked at the restaurant in york where they start the video from, or did I mishear?

Attachments

• C0EE4249-83DC-495A-968C-720F2588FD21.jpeg
    C0EE4249-83DC-495A-968C-720F2588FD21.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for the overlay of buildings, I took this from an historical document about the building. There is a high wall (it wouldn’t have been breached by the flooding at this point) all the river area has a high wall along that building, so no easy access ( and I’m certainly starting to discount suicide, or even accidental drowning)

Attachments

• 8BCF6D68-61B3-42CA-85FB-AB7EC652C51C.jpeg
    8BCF6D68-61B3-42CA-85FB-AB7EC652C51C.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 8
At this moment in time I have no idea or theories. I did find a map showing the bridge he crossed in the bottom left and the house indicates the care home. You can see there would have been access around the river area (had it not been slightly flooded), so he was went through the car park and over the fence of the grounds onto a slightly raised balcony, but watching the video looked like it still had steps down to the river. No real reason though why you wouldn’t just follow the road.
Quick question- did I hear at the beginning that Rory had worked at the restaurant in york where they start the video from, or did I mishear?

His dad had owned a restaurant on George Hudson Street a few years prior (near Akbars) so he stopped outside to take a photo, which he sent to his sister.

I had to just cross reference with a map - the directions they've given on the walk-through confused me, as they said "from the train station he headed off down Clifford Street" which is nowhere near the train station (unless there's one I don't know about!)

( and I’m certainly starting to discount suicide, or even accidental drowning)

I agree. There are much easier places to access the river for suicide purposes, Tower Gardens bang opposite for one. Or off the bridge. Unless that particular last location has some memory for him. Seems unlikely.

So if we discount suicide for now, and it's very unlikely he simply got lost, then he has to have gone to that specific building for a specific reason.

I agree. There are much easier places to access the river for suicide purposes, Tower Gardens bang opposite for one. Or off the bridge. Unless that particular last location has some memory for him. Seems unlikely.

So if we discount suicide for now, and it's very unlikely he simply got lost, then he has to have gone to that specific building for a specific reason.
Have you watched the full CCTV as he walks across the balcony? It looked to me as though he was on his mobile and before he crosses the last window he seems to pause (out of view) before reappearing.

Have you watched the full CCTV as he walks across the balcony? It looked to me as though he was on his mobile and before he crosses the last window he seems to pause (out of view) before reappearing.

Yes I’ve seen that. The walk through video said he was texting two girls that night so I assume his phone records show as such, but I’ve not seen anything about whether those girls were traced. But there’s a hook up potential there. Was there a party in that are? Was he at the wrong building?

It took quite a while, 5 or 6 weeks I think, before Megan Roberts was found a few miles downstream. Give it a couple of weeks and check the Naburn marina stretch.

Back to Rory - what's your gut instinct? I didn't realise you were local!

They've found a body at Naburn per NYP Facebook page. The girls family have been informed.

Five years since Rory Johnson Hatfield last seen in York - North Yorkshire Police

So this is the link about Rory on North Yorkshire Police’s website. At the end is a very well edited film which is 1m:29s long and is divided almost seamlessly into the following 6 sections. Elsewhere in this thread is a video made by family and friends which talks through the events of the day from Rory’s arrival at York train station in the afternoon.

Bear in mind that the Wetherspoons pub and Travelodge Hotel are adjacent in one integral building.

1. From 00:00 to 00:01 At 23:39pm on the night of 19/11/2015, the complex’s internal camera shows Rory and two others, assume the two Scotsmen, pass through an unspecified public area.

2. From 00:01 to 0002 About 18 minutes later, the same camera shows Rory and one other, assume the younger Scotsman, passing through the same area in the opposite direction, perhaps to get stuff from their rooms before going into town.

3. From 00:02 to 00:24 Another 31 minutes later at 0:28am an outside camera in Fishergate shows the pair leave the hotel and walk past the pub entrance in Piccadilly towards a right turn into Tower Street.

4. From 00:24 to 00:41 Three minutes later the camera in St George’s Field car park shows the pair have progressed along Tower Street and have just passed the war memorial as they continue towards Clifton Tower and York’s nightlife.

5. From 00:41 to 01:13 Six minutes later and the same camera captures Rory’s return. Just before he appears a man can be seen waiting in the foreground under a dark tree before he moves away to the right perhaps to get catch his lift from one of the cars emerging along Tower St. Rory’s on his own and is on the wrong side of Tower St to navigate towards his hotel from that spot. He turns very briefly into the entrance to Tower Gardens but quickly returns and then turns right onto the road called Skeldergate Bridge.

6. From 01:13 to 01:29 Seven minutes later and the camera inside City Mill complex shows Rory walking along an external walkway (overlooking the River Ouse) from right to left in front of 2 windows with a glass door in between them, before departing to the left of the second window. Right at the end, @Ruthbullock has already observed on this thread that Rory takes much longer than expected to get from the door in the middle to the second window. When he reappears through the second window it seems clear to me that Rory has suddenly gained a rucksack!

Does anyone else see the shape of a rucksack?

Five years since Rory Johnson Hatfield last seen in York - North Yorkshire Police

So this is the link about Rory on North Yorkshire Police’s website. At the end is a very well edited film which is 1m:29s long and is divided almost seamlessly into the following 6 sections. Elsewhere in this thread is a video made by family and friends which talks through the events of the day from Rory’s arrival at York train station in the afternoon.

Bear in mind that the Wetherspoons pub and Travelodge Hotel are adjacent in one integral building.

1. From 00:00 to 00:01 At 23:39pm on the night of 19/11/2015, the complex’s internal camera shows Rory and two others, assume the two Scotsmen, pass through an unspecified public area.

2. From 00:01 to 0002 About 18 minutes later, the same camera shows Rory and one other, assume the younger Scotsman, passing through the same area in the opposite direction, perhaps to get stuff from their rooms before going into town.

3. From 00:02 to 00:24 Another 31 minutes later at 0:28am an outside camera in Fishergate shows the pair leave the hotel and walk past the pub entrance in Piccadilly towards a right turn into Tower Street.

4. From 00:24 to 00:41 Three minutes later the camera in St George’s Field car park shows the pair have progressed along Tower Street and have just passed the war memorial as they continue towards Clifton Tower and York’s nightlife.

5. From 00:41 to 01:13 Six minutes later and the same camera captures Rory’s return. Just before he appears a man can be seen waiting in the foreground under a dark tree before he moves away to the right perhaps to get catch his lift from one of the cars emerging along Tower St. Rory’s on his own and is on the wrong side of Tower St to navigate towards his hotel from that spot. He turns very briefly into the entrance to Tower Gardens but quickly returns and then turns right onto the road called Skeldergate Bridge.

6. From 01:13 to 01:29 Seven minutes later and the camera inside City Mill complex shows Rory walking along an external walkway (overlooking the River Ouse) from right to left in front of 2 windows with a glass door in between them, before departing to the left of the second window. Right at the end, @Ruthbullock has already observed on this thread that Rory takes much longer than expected to get from the door in the middle to the second window. When he reappears through the second window it seems clear to me that Rory has suddenly gained a rucksack!

Does anyone else see the shape of a rucksack?

I’ve been in the hotel and that’s the main reception area. There is a bigger lounge area just beyond it for communal use. So yes, the footage shows them exiting the hotel.

Timeline
Rory went missing on a night out in York on Thursday 19 November 2015.

He was last seen in the early hours of Friday 20 November 2015.

Rory is described as white, 5ft 11in tall, slim build, with short blond hair. He was aged 29 when he went missing.

On the night he went missing he was wearing a round-neck dark coloured top, blue jeans and white and navy trainers.

Police have released CCTV footage of Rory’s last known movements, where at 12.32am he is seen heading into York with a friend, walking along Tower Street, past Clifford’s Tower.

Six minutes later at 12.38am, the same CCTV camera picks him up on his own, leaving the city centre on the other side of Tower Street and crossing Skeldergate Bridge towards the Skeldergate/Terry Avenue area of York. Another CCTV camera picks Rory up a few minutes later at City Mills flats, on the other side of the river. This is the last known sighting of Rory.

Thursday 19 November 2015 was the opening night of Thor’s tipi bar – a large tipi bar that is situated in Parliament Street for the Christmas period. The city’s Christmas lights were switched on that night and it was the first night of the York Christmas market, where a number of retail chalets are situated on the main shopping streets through York and free parking was on offer in council car parks. There would have also been late night shopping with a number of stores staying open in the city.

Police continue to appeal for information about Rory’s movements that night, particularly the six minute time period between Rory heading into York and back out, along Tower Street and as he made his way over Skeldergate Bridge.

Anyone with any information which would assist our enquiries is asked to contact police on 101.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back