UK UK - Ruth Wilson, 16, Dorking, 27 Nov 1995

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just wanted to give this case some attention as the 25th anniversary of Ruth's disappearance is tomorrow, the 27th November. I live just 10 minutes away from the area where she was last seen and am often reminded when I pass the area.

I'd like to think that Ruth decided to start a new life to get away from her troubles, and is living somewhere 'happily', but I have a strange feeling she is still up there on Box Hill. If she is still alive I would imagine that it becomes more difficult to re-appear as each year passes, but perhaps a significant event in her family may eventually prompt her to do so.

Very sad.

Just wanted to give this case some attention as the 25th anniversary of Ruth's disappearance is tomorrow, the 27th November. I live just 10 minutes away from the area where she was last seen and am often reminded when I pass the area.

I'd like to think that Ruth decided to start a new life to get away from her troubles, and is living somewhere 'happily', but I have a strange feeling she is still up there on Box Hill. If she is still alive I would imagine that it becomes more difficult to re-appear as each year passes, but perhaps a significant event in her family may eventually prompt her to do so.

Very sad.

Thank you for telling us its the 25th anniversary tomorrow. So sad that her parents don't want to publicise this. I do think she started again in a new life and has no desire to come forward, but of course she could be up there on Box Hill. 25 years is a long time.

Thank you for telling us its the 25th anniversary tomorrow. So sad that her parents don't want to publicise this. I do think she started again in a new life and has no desire to come forward, but of course she could be up there on Box Hill. 25 years is a long time.

And thanks for the reply. I follow most threads on this forum but I guess being so close to me (and unresolved) it hits home. I forget where I read or heard it but someone said that at certain times or situations "secrecy can be incredibly damaging", and for me that speaks volumes.

If Ruth is alive and well, then I am genuinely happy for her. If, however, her case like many others on this forum, is the result of apathy or worse on the part of people who should care, then it does not bode well for anyone who slips through the cracks.

On the positive side in this case!, I have contacted the local press to ask them to revisit this case in their publications with a view to prompting someone who just may know something.....

I'd like to think that Ruth decided to start a new life to get away from her troubles, and is living somewhere 'happily', but I have a strange feeling she is still up there on Box Hill.

I'm interested what makes you think that? Obviously, the clues are there with the farewell notes, empty packet of pills and alcohol. However, she might have been creating a false trail and faking her own suicide. The letters would still have emotional significance as she was cutting ties and starting again. The area was searched thoroughly, and it's popular with ramblers and cyclists. It's strange that her body would've evaded discovery for so long but it does happen.

I'd like to see the CCTV footage again to judge if the girl in the newsagent's bares any resemblance to Ruth. It's coincidental that it was on the first anniversary of her disappearance and she was preoccupied with the newspapers that day. From the stills, the girl has quite short cropped hair, which Ruth might have adopted to hide her identity.

Very sad.

Like you I live nearby in Guildford and regularly visit Box Hill (until current circumstances!) to play cricket at Dorking, pick up supplies at Denbies across the road and go for walks. I find it difficult to understand how she could be still on Box Hill. Even allowing for the fact that some parts are more used than others, we have had over the last 25 years;

* 25 years of ramblers, dog walkers and general use of one of the most visited beauty sites in the south of England.
* the hill used as the climb section of the 2012 Olympics cycle road race, with thousands of spectators and thorough searches (for security) by police, army and other security services.
* at the time of her disappearance the area was thoroughly searched, including with trained search dogs and including hard to get to areas such as the disused quarry.
* Box Hill is an SSI, with the resultant attention from naturalists and others.

Nothing is impossible, but I cannot think there is much chance that she would not have been found if in the area.

I'm interested what makes you think that? Obviously, the clues are there with the farewell notes, empty packet of pills and alcohol. However, she might have been creating a false trail and faking her own suicide. The letters would still have emotional significance as she was cutting ties and starting again. The area was searched thoroughly, and it's popular with ramblers and cyclists. It's strange that her body would've evaded discovery for so long but it does happen.

I'd like to see the CCTV footage again to judge if the girl in the newsagent's bares any resemblance to Ruth. It's coincidental that it was on the first anniversary of her disappearance and she was preoccupied with the newspapers that day. From the stills, the girl has quite short cropped hair, which Ruth might have adopted to hide her identity.

No, this is nothing else other than a feeling, nothing to substantiate it as such and as I said it is just as likely that she had made plans to change her life for some time before she left for good.

As Alb1on also points out, the amount of human traffic that has been in that area since would diminish the chances of remains not being found.

I would, however, dispute that the initial search conducted was thorough, and my reasoning for that is only that one of the officers involved went on public record to say that he did not believe that either. (Think that he was the Family Liaison Officer for the Wilsons).

This, put together with a young girl completely being able to so successfully disappear off the grid - no financial traces, no medical needs, just gives me some doubt, that's all.

I have to be honest and say that even living this close to the area, I can not recall hearing about this case at the time (maybe I had other things on my mind!), but I think that it goes to show that the publicity of the event was perhaps lacking, on the part of the authorities/press. Indeed, more is written about it today than at the time.

On the subject of the newsagents CCTV, good luck with finding that - I can now only find the still frame taken from the video and it could be anyone, male or female. I note that just over a year after she went missing, a newspaper article stated that the Wilsons had spent much time poring over the video and gradually came to believe that it was her. So even they were not certain. Be useful to watch it again though.

MOO

Last edited:
Is there a chance she was expecting to start a new life and she was going to that location to meet someone but she met her demise elsewhere at their hands?

Is there a chance she was expecting to start a new life and she was going to that location to meet someone but she met her demise elsewhere at their hands?

That is certainly one of the theories put forward, and a friendship or relationship with someone older would likely have been kept from her parents. I would have thought though that one of her small circle of friends would have known about this, or at least have some inkling. Depends on how careful she was about meeting/contacting this other person before she went missing I guess.

That is certainly one of the theories put forward, and a friendship or relationship with someone older would likely have been kept from her parents. I would have thought though that one of her small circle of friends would have known about this, or at least have some inkling. Depends on how careful she was about meeting/contacting this other person before she went missing I guess.

I think it's the theory that would make the most sense to me. But like you say, how easy would it have been for her to keep all that quiet? And 1995 was very early internet days, so chances are didn't meet anyone that way.

Gah, it falls into an ever growing group of unsolved cases. I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to Ruth, Andrew Gosden, Corrie Mckeague, Claudia Lawrence, Damien Nettles, Leah Croucher etc. It's just baffling how people can vanish in this day and age.

I would, however, dispute that the initial search conducted was thorough, and my reasoning for that is only that one of the officers involved went on public record to say that he did not believe that either. (Think that he was the Family Liaison Officer for the Wilsons).
MOO

The officer who expressed the doubts was Mark Williams-Thomas who, as you say, was the FLO. However he only expressed this view after leaving Surrey Police and there has been a very tense relationship between them ever since. He is now an investigative journalist. Although I do not know the rights and wrongs of his relationship with his former police force, there are some things on the record. In 2003 he was prosecuted (and acquitted) on a charge of blackmailing a funeral director (who he alleged was using graves for multiple burials). In 2018 (in the collapsed trial of Jonathan King) Justice Deborah Taylor made the comment (relating to a resurrected charge relating to a 2000 statement taken by Williams Thomas when with the police);

I make clear that had full disclosure regarding [A], and the involvement of Williams-Thomas been made known, those counts would not have been added to the Indictment.”

Clearly the justice system has serious concerns about the credibility of Williams Thomas. No search is ever perfect but a full trawl of the area conducted by search dogs, and several case reviews over the last 25 years (including one in the last 2-3 years) should have identified any shortcomings.

I believe that Catherine Mair knows more than she claims. She moved to Sheffield around the same time that Ruth went missing and said that it wasn't possible at the time for her to move, suggesting that the two secretly remain(ed) in contact.

It was never said where exactly on the outskirts of London that she was seen in October 1996. Given the proximity to the sighting that followed (on the anniversary), it was likely no more than 15 miles from the Dorking newsagents (which I believe may have been Bradshaws). There's also no clarity or evidence to support the sighting of Ruth in Canada in 2008. How would they have known what she looked like after 13 years when no age-progressed images were ever released? How come Surrey Police or Missing People have never done this? They did it for Jaime Cheesman and she disappeared about two years prior, also at the age of 16.

I'm seeing failures from all sorts of angles here. From the police, the media and more suspiciously, her own family refuses to speak out. I would like to end on a positive note, in the belief that Ruth is still alive. She will be turning 42 years old on January 31st 2021.

(Sorry if this sounds too confusing)

I appreciate that it is tempting to think that someone has done something wrong in an investigation, or been negligent, or aided a cover up or committed some other act which has prevented a solution ....... but that is not always the case. In the Ruth Wilson case;
  • the police conducted searches using dogs, helicopters and heat seeking kit. The search included the most difficult to search areas of Box Hill, including the quarry. The helicopters would have searched even more widely. The thoroughness of the search is confirmed by the finding of concealed notes under bushes.
  • there were high profile media appeals at the time and there have been many since.
  • the police interviewed all her friends and contacts (such as the taxi driver and florist) and there is no evidence any of those contacts have withheld information (which does not mean they did not do so, just that there is no evidence for such allegations).
  • there have been multiple case reviews in the last 25 years and the case remains open.
  • the Chief Superintendent who conducted the last case review has confirmed that police were aware of the family history (mothers suicide) and Ruth's reaction and chose not to make it public for tactical reasons. You can criticise that choice but that is very different to negligence or an inadequate investigation.
  • some people have linked Ruth to killers such as Levi Bellfield. It would have been standard procedure to consider other cases when he (or others) were convicted, but there is no evidence for such a link. Indeed, his past cases show a disregard for his victims being found which does not fit with the case of Ruth.
  • the parents have worked with the media when Ruth first disappeared. Their wish not to do so later on does not mean they have something to hide. Anyone who has dealt with the media would understand such a reticence.
  • Age progressed images are a double edged sword. They can mislead as often as have a positive effect. It is a judgement call and many cases in the UK have not had such images.
  • The police have chosen not to make a number of facts public (including the content of notes). Whilst this may be frustrating it does not imply incompetence. There can be many reasons, from maintaining secrecy to avoid biasing witnesses to complying with standard police procedures in missing person cases.
I wish I could say what has happened in this case. It is one of the most puzzling I know and, being a local, I feel able to comment on some aspects. But there is little or nothing in the record to point the finger at those involved in the case, whether friends, parents or police. And it is wise to remember that some of the questions raised originate with Mark Williams Thomas, who (at the least) has a vested interest in boosting the story and, at worst, has a vendetta against Surrey Police. I am no fan of Surrey Police, but in this case I have some sympathy.

I believe that Catherine Mair knows more than she claims. She moved to Sheffield around the same time that Ruth went missing and said that it wasn't possible at the time for her to move, suggesting that the two secretly remain(ed) in contact.

I also have had similar thoughts to the above.

Returning to one question, that of sightings of Ruth; there is no good evidence to support any of the sightings with two exceptions (and that is not because the police did not attempt to follow up the other sightings, it is simply that no evidence exists except the view of those reporting them). The two exceptions are the newsagent video and the Reigate Road sighting.

The newsagent video is interesting but wholly inconclusive. It is understandable that worried parents will place their hopes on the video showing their daughter, but that is far from clear. I am more convinced by the sighting of Ruth on the Reigate Road (the A25) carrying a suitcase. The girl was local and knew Ruth and was, apparently, clear that it was Ruth. So I take this sighting as reliable. The only issues seem to be the date of the sighting (was it when she went missing or before?) and where it occurred. The reports say the Reigate Road is 5 miles from Dorking and 1.5 miles from her Betchworth home. This is rubbish. The sighting may have been at these distances, but the Reigate Road runs from Dorking to Reigate and, without more information the sighting could have been anywhere on the road. And even if these distances are correct by the best road route, Box Hill would be much nearer than 5 miles taking the various bridleways (paths) which cross fields. The 5 miles is almost certainly judged by the large detour required to go from the area around Betchworth to Box Hill by car.

If there is a gap in the story it is about what was done (and the results) to back up this sighting. If it is right either Ruth was preplanning her disappearance by stashing a suitcase before the day (which would explain her disappearing with only the clothes she wore) or she did actually disappear with a suitcase. One possibility is that the suitcase was stashed with a friend and it would be interesting to know the location of the sighting relative to friends houses. It would also be useful to know the location of and direction of the sighting relative to Betchworth rail station.

No answers, but this is the matter which stands out to me. I wonder if Williams Thomas and his crew ever interviewed the sighting witness?

Returning to one question, that of sightings of Ruth; there is no good evidence to support any of the sightings with two exceptions (and that is not because the police did not attempt to follow up the other sightings, it is simply that no evidence exists except the view of those reporting them). The two exceptions are the newsagent video and the Reigate Road sighting.

The newsagent video is interesting but wholly inconclusive. It is understandable that worried parents will place their hopes on the video showing their daughter, but that is far from clear. I am more convinced by the sighting of Ruth on the Reigate Road (the A25) carrying a suitcase. The girl was local and knew Ruth and was, apparently, clear that it was Ruth. So I take this sighting as reliable. The only issues seem to be the date of the sighting (was it when she went missing or before?) and where it occurred. The reports say the Reigate Road is 5 miles from Dorking and 1.5 miles from her Betchworth home. This is rubbish. The sighting may have been at these distances, but the Reigate Road runs from Dorking to Reigate and, without more information the sighting could have been anywhere on the road. And even if these distances are correct by the best road route, Box Hill would be much nearer than 5 miles taking the various bridleways (paths) which cross fields. The 5 miles is almost certainly judged by the large detour required to go from the area around Betchworth to Box Hill by car.

If there is a gap in the story it is about what was done (and the results) to back up this sighting. If it is right either Ruth was preplanning her disappearance by stashing a suitcase before the day (which would explain her disappearing with only the clothes she wore) or she did actually disappear with a suitcase. One possibility is that the suitcase was stashed with a friend and it would be interesting to know the location of the sighting relative to friends houses. It would also be useful to know the location of and direction of the sighting relative to Betchworth rail station.

No answers, but this is the matter which stands out to me. I wonder if Williams Thomas and his crew ever interviewed the sighting witness?

I'm totally with you on your thoughts - you make some very good points. BBM.

Further on from your thoughts...I think you are local...? If so do you know if there is a bridal path where Ruth was dropped off? Could this link to where she stashed her suitcase?

I'm totally with you on your thoughts - you make some very good points. BBM.

Further on from your thoughts...I think you are local...? If so do you know if there is a bridal path where Ruth was dropped off? Could this link to where she stashed her suitcase?

There are public rights of way all over Box Hill and the wider area, including within a very short distance of the pub where she was dropped, and including paths which would be a short cut (compared to the road) between her drop point and Betchworth, The paths include the North Downs Way, a very well known and popular long distance path for walkers which ends at Canterbury. The local section passes across the lower slopes of Box Hill between where Ruth was dropped and her home in Betchworth (although there would not have been many users at that time and that time of year). There are so many potential places to stash things up there that it is impossible to be more specific.

There are public rights of way all over Box Hill and the wider area, including within a very short distance of the pub where she was dropped, and including paths which would be a short cut (compared to the road) between her drop point and Betchworth, The paths include the North Downs Way, a very well known and popular long distance path for walkers which ends at Canterbury. The local section passes across the lower slopes of Box Hill between where Ruth was dropped and her home in Betchworth (although there would not have been many users at that time and that time of year). There are so many potential places to stash things up there that it is impossible to be more specific.

Oh very interesting. So just to clarify I have this part correctly - the wider area path (I'm assuming the wider area you refer to is a path??) is not far from the pub across the road from where Ruth was dropped off and it can take her back to Betchworth?

Oh very interesting. So just to clarify I have this part correctly - the wider area path (I'm assuming the wider area you refer to is a path??) is not far from the pub across the road from where Ruth was dropped off and it can take her back to Betchworth?

By wider area I meant the rest of the countryside around Box Hill but which may not be part of Box Hill itself (Betchworth is not, for example, although right next to it). The only point I intended to make by this reference was that paths criss cross the fields and hills in this area. Surrey County Council have a footpath map on their site which can be used to identify the paths anywhere in the county and gives a good idea of how common they are. Most of the paths will be only used by locals and some will be hardly used at all and be overgrown (but retain their status as a right of way) whilst others such as the North Downs Way are well known and much used. I would certainly expect the paths linking Betchworth to the top of Box Hill and its village to get reasonable use as it is an obvious route to the top for local walkers (I have not used it as I have to drive or cycle from Guildford).

Just bumping this as I watched the vanished episode again.

I think Ruth was abducted and murdered that day personally. I don't think she's far from box Hill but not necessarily on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back