UK - Sabina Nessa, 28, found murdered in park, SE London, 18 Sep 2021 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sarahlou I disagree, there are thousands upon thousands of murdered and missing white women whose cases have little to no news coverage. Very few victims of any ethnicity become big news stories.

Missing or murdered white women/girls only become big news stories if they are young, pretty, middle class, not on drugs or doing sex work, and have a presentable family that is adept at courting the media and promoting her case. That ends up being a very small number of victims. Many white victims perfectly fitting that description still don't get much coverage.

Sabina appears to also fit the young, pretty, upstanding victim that the media likes to promote, but there are other explanations aside from race. If Sabina had been known to the public as a missing person, there would have been the public interest, what with the hope of being able to find her alive. She was found very quickly, and a suspect was arrested very quickly. This would have nixed media interest in generating clicks by covering a big search, or a big whodunnit story. I also personally suspect that the media knows more about the "man in his 40's" than they are allowed to print; if he knew Sabina, there will also be less media interest as they won't be able to play to the public's (legitimate) fears about stranger danger.

If she was white it most likely would be getting more attention.
Sorry but it really seems like that is a big factor as to how much attention these cases get. It's disappointing.
I don't agree with your post. There was a high profile search for Sarah Everard because she had not been found when she was reported missing and the police wanted to find her alive

Last edited:
Just found this case posted today on the UK threads forum.
Vigil to be held for teacher found murdered in London park
''A candlelight vigil is to be held in memory of primary school teacher Sabina Nessa who was found murdered in a south London park.

The 28-year-old’s body was found hidden under a pile of leaves by a dog walker in Cator Park, Kidbrooke, on Saturday.

She is believed to have been attacked at about 8.30pm on Friday but was not discovered until 5.30pm the following day near the One Space community centre.

The Metropolitan Police is treating Ms Nessa’s death as a murder, however a post-mortem examination carried out at Greenwich Mortuary was inconclusive.''

Just found this case posted today on the UK threads forum.
Vigil to be held for teacher found murdered in London park
''A candlelight vigil is to be held in memory of primary school teacher Sabina Nessa who was found murdered in a south London park.

The 28-year-old’s body was found hidden under a pile of leaves by a dog walker in Cator Park, Kidbrooke, on Saturday.

She is believed to have been attacked at about 8.30pm on Friday but was not discovered until 5.30pm the following day near the One Space community centre.

The Metropolitan Police is treating Ms Nessa’s death as a murder, however a post-mortem examination carried out at Greenwich Mortuary was inconclusive.''
The cause of death for Sarah Everard was inconclusive, I hope she wasn't killed by a cop

This is heartbreaking. RIP Sabina. I’m almost at a loss of what to say as women are continuously murdered by strangers/partners and beyond the police/government saying ‘we’re appalled, women should feel safe’ nothing is actually implemented that would improve things. We aren’t even allowed to protect ourselves with pepper spray in this country, heaven forbid we sting the eyes of a man coming at us with a knife.

also a bit confused as to why someone has chosen now to complain about ‘white woman syndrome’. This lady’s case is currently all over the news?

She lived in Lewisham, and as per my previous post, she was not thought to be heading home police have said.

Detectives were on Wednesday trawling for clues at “a number of crime scenes” as they investigate the murder of a primary school teacher in a park.

The graduate, 28, originally from Bedfordshire, was walking through Cator Park in Kidbrooke when she was killed at around 8.30pm on Friday. Extra officers have been patrolling the area to reassure the public. It is understood that the teacher was not on her way home but was walking to another location which has not been disclosed by police.

Detectives are trawling a number of other sites potentially connected to the killing.

Sabina Nessa murder: Search at multiple scenes after teacher killing

More than 200 personal alarms have been handed out to women around the area where primary school teacher Sabina Nessa was found dead.

Sabina's body was found on the weekend near a community centre in Greenwich, south-east London.

Her cousin told ITV News London she was killed just minutes from her home, leaving her family "inconsolable".

The small personal alarm can be attached to keys, handbags or held in the hand. When its pin is pulled, a loud siren will help to draw attention.

A Greenwich Council spokesperson said: "We have been distributing these alarms at events since 2019, but have issued over 200 alarms to women and vulnerable residents over the last two days particularly in the Kidbrooke area.

"The team will continue to do this over the coming weeks, and further alarms will be purchased to ensure we can provide these to as many residents as we can."

Sabina Nessa: More than 200 alarms handed to women after teacher's death | ITV News

In the past few days we have woken up to devastating news every morning – the senseless murders of bright young women gone too soon; dreams and aspirations abruptly brought to a tragic end.

Gabrielle Petito’s remains were discovered in Wyoming; the gut-wrenching Killmarsh murders; and then Sabina Nessa. The 28-year-old primary school teacher is believed to have been murdered as she walked home on Saturday afternoon, her body found near a community centre in south east London. Her case, of course, bears a painful resemblance to Sarah Everard’s murder six months ago.

While all three stories make for grim reading and are indicative of a wider epidemic of violence against women of every colour, race and ethnicity, it’s hard to ignore the explicit bias in the media reporting of each case.

I learned about Sabina Nessa’s murder about the same time I heard about the discovery of Gabrielle Petito’s remains. But when I tuned into the news this morning to find out the latest on both cases, there was no mention of Sabina whatsoever. This may be because the story is still developing and the case is open, but I believe it has not dominated the news yet because of how the media treats victims of colour differently.

Opinion: Why has Sabina Nessa’s murder not dominated the news? Take a wild guess

Detectives were on Wednesday trawling for clues at “a number of crime scenes” as they investigate the murder of a primary school teacher in a park.

The graduate, 28, originally from Bedfordshire, was walking through Cator Park in Kidbrooke when she was killed at around 8.30pm on Friday. Extra officers have been patrolling the area to reassure the public. It is understood that the teacher was not on her way home but was walking to another location which has not been disclosed by police.

Sabina Nessa murder: Search at multiple scenes after teacher killing

And taking into account what she was wearing - 'sparkly' boots and a slip dress - does not sound like work attire, it is more like she was dressed up and on the way to somewhere for the evening - especially around 8pm and on a Friday night.

Wonder if she was on any dating sites or had a boyfriend? Funny how they picked up a suspect so early, was that perhaps someone they knew she knew? But they have been released pending further investigation, so we are still left with was it a random, someone who had been stalking her, or someone she knew?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-223207_Daily Mail Online-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210922-223207_Daily Mail Online-01.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Sabina Nessa – What We Know So Far
''Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has called Sabina’s death “heartbreaking” and is also urging people to come forward with information.

Labour MP Harriet Harman wants the government to act with more “urgency” when it comes to tackling violence against women and girls in the UK.

“In just the last few days we have see more horrific killing of women. In Sheffield 35-year-old Terri Harris, killed together with three children. In Greenwich, primary school teacher Sabina Nessa, who was only 28 years old.

“We have got a woman home secretary and I believe women in leading positions have a special duty to deliver for other women.”
‘Pay attention’
On social media, many are speaking up for Sabina’s case to be given as much attention as the case of Sarah Everard earlier this year.''

If she was white it most likely would be getting more attention.
Sorry but it really seems like that is a big factor as to how much attention these cases get. It's disappointing.

I totally disagree . Sabina's murder has been prominent on all the on line papers and various media sites.

This is nothing to do with her ethnicity.

In the past few days we have woken up to devastating news every morning – the senseless murders of bright young women gone too soon; dreams and aspirations abruptly brought to a tragic end.

Gabrielle Petito’s remains were discovered in Wyoming; the gut-wrenching Killmarsh murders; and then Sabina Nessa. The 28-year-old primary school teacher is believed to have been murdered as she walked home on Saturday afternoon, her body found near a community centre in south east London. Her case, of course, bears a painful resemblance to Sarah Everard’s murder six months ago.

While all three stories make for grim reading and are indicative of a wider epidemic of violence against women of every colour, race and ethnicity, it’s hard to ignore the explicit bias in the media reporting of each case.

I learned about Sabina Nessa’s murder about the same time I heard about the discovery of Gabrielle Petito’s remains. But when I tuned into the news this morning to find out the latest on both cases, there was no mention of Sabina whatsoever. This may be because the story is still developing and the case is open, but I believe it has not dominated the news yet because of how the media treats victims of colour differently.

Opinion: Why has Sabina Nessa’s murder not dominated the news? Take a wild guess

I do think these are important issues and merit serious discussion, especially on a forum like WS, which can, as we know, help drive case awareness through discussions and its typically high levels of surfacing via popular search engine rankings.

Perhaps there's an area here where a dedicated thread might be raised (Parking Lot?) and possibilities for allyship discussed?

@Sarahlou I disagree, there are thousands upon thousands of murdered and missing white women whose cases have little to no news coverage. Very few victims of any ethnicity become big news stories.

Missing or murdered white women/girls only become big news stories if they are young, pretty, middle class, not on drugs or doing sex work, and have a presentable family that is adept at courting the media and promoting her case. That ends up being a very small number of victims. Many white victims perfectly fitting that description still don't get much coverage.

Sabina appears to also fit the young, pretty, upstanding victim that the media likes to promote, but there are other explanations aside from race. If Sabina had been known to the public as a missing person, there would have been the public interest, what with the hope of being able to find her alive. She was found very quickly, and a suspect was arrested very quickly. This would have nixed media interest in generating clicks by covering a big search, or a big whodunnit story. I also personally suspect that the media knows more about the "man in his 40's" than they are allowed to print; if he knew Sabina, there will also be less media interest as they won't be able to play to the public's (legitimate) fears about stranger danger.

Absolutely agree.

Another senseless tragedy. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Not much to say other than I'm struck by how little information has been released - is it just me or does it feel quite deliberate? That plus the quick arrest suggests to me they have an idea who is responsible and are - I hope - closing in.

She was very pretty, I'm surprised this isn't getting more media attention.

Not just beautiful on the outside, but she must have loved being around the year 1 children as their teacher. And she had two cats at home! An animal lover as well. Sounds to me like she was also a very beautiful person on the inside as well, and a huge loss to her family and community.

Not the sort of person you expect to be targeted for murder. Not saying anyone 'deserves' to die like this, but she's the furthest from deserving it that you can get.

RIP Sabina

Another senseless tragedy. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Not much to say other than I'm struck by how little information has been released - is it just me or does it feel quite deliberate? That plus the quick arrest suggests to me they have an idea who is responsible and are - I hope - closing in.

At first I thought she was attacked by a stranger, but now I'm leaning toward someone she knows, or someone who set up a date with her. JMO.

Some of the phrases the police have used suggest to me too that they may know more than they are saying.

For some reason, the use of the expression “short delay” re the timing of Sabina’s body being found strikes me as quite strange. I don’t know why but it sounds odd.

I find it interesting too that there was specific reference in some of the press to Sabina being killed “by a stranger.” Almost as though the police wanted that detail out there for a reason. Perhaps because they were confident it was right or to divert the attention of a suspect they were already looking at.

The police seem to be confident about the time of death. There was also reference to Sabina being “attacked from behind” but perhaps this was simple speculation on her family’s part.

Sabina Nessa murder: Family left devastated by teacher's death in Kidbrooke

Officers say Sabina left home on Astell Road in Greenwich just before 8.30pm on Friday, September 17.

She is believed to have been making her way through Cator Park towards The Depot bar on Pegler Square, Kidbrooke Village, where she planned to meet a friend.

The journey should have taken her five minutes, but Sabina never arrived at the pub and is thought to have been murdered as she walked through the park.

Her body was found close to the OneSpace community centre within the park at around 5.30pm the next day.

Cops reveal final walk of ‘murdered’ teacher, 28, on her way to meet pal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member