UK UK- Sally Shepherd, 24, Worked @ Young Vic Theatre, Dragged through wire fence, Raped & beaten by ‘Beast of Peckham’, 1 Dec.'79 *Rootless Hair*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The number of rapists in Peckham in the late 70s and 80s is absolutely mind boggling.

There were dozens of rapists at large, ranging from 14 year olds to middle aged men. There were also quite a few rapists who worked in pairs and groups.

Anyone caught before the 90s wouldn't have had their DNA taken upon conviction.

As a kid living in Peckham at the time.. I feel kids would have done that damage to the fence to get into the yard.. rife behaviour. Peckham was more than rough late 70s and beyond, to this day I just know the area's crime news could never made it National news it would have been shocking. I feel she was attacked at the darkest point of that alley... and dragged to where vision from either side of alley is lost as for it to be pre planned well... you wouldn't really expect any female to walk through it alone and I think you'd be real hard pressed to find a woman from the area that said that she did. I would just describe it as you'd be walking into a dark tunnel. Mugging attacks were high and that is probably an understatement.

Peckham late 70s doesn't really seem like the sort of area for an outsider to be loitering in late at night.

It was a lot rougher than Hounslow or Osterley, and seemingly also more densely populated.

IMO a marauding local lunatic perhaps seems more likely than a commuter offender...

I'm making good progress with this case. I think it is possible that it's linked to Lynne Weedon (and thus Eve Stratford, and possibly Elizabeth Parravicini).

I'm not sure about a link to Lynda Farrow though.

Does anyone have a source for the Farrow DNA being a different profile to the Weedon and Stratford DNA profile?

All I can find as a source is David James Smith. He's an excellent journalist and writer, but I don't like sole sources of such important information.

Can anyone find a secondary source for the Lynda Farrow DNA profile?

rbbm fwiw.
'With Eve Stratford all the evidence was available, which enabled us to send items away for modern scientific analysis.
"In Lynda’s case it was the reverse.
"This was particularly disappointing, as the physical evidence in Lynda’s murder has never been checked for DNA, cutting off an important detection route.

"The fact that the Eve Stratford and Lynne Weedon DNA profile remains unmatched tells us their killer has not been arrested in the past 20 years.
"I have no doubt the same man committed all three murders.''
'To this day, Eve's murder remains unsolved, though DNA evidence and inquiries over the years have linked her death to two other victims - schoolgirl Lynne Weedon and mum Lynda Farrow. Tonight, the second half of ITV's two-part docuseries, The Playboy Bunny Murder, reexamines their deaths and the connections between them'.

'Lynda’s murder has never officially been linked to the two other cold cases, but former DCI Sutton told The Sun that the similarities were “too much of a coincidence”.

'' But in 1979, Lynda Farrow – a croupier at another West End club – was murdered in her home in the same way. So, wondered Theroux, were the Met detectives right to believe these crimes were committed by the same man? As he would for much of both episodes, he investigated his own question with possibly excessive thoroughness before coming up with a firm ‘no’. And with that, he moved on to the testimony of Lynda’s mother: that her daughter had learned who Eve’s killer was and been silenced by an accomplice. Much assiduous sleuthing later, Theroux duly decided that she hadn’t.

But then came an especially baffling twist. Once DNA profiling entered the scene, a match was established between Eve’s murderer and that of 16-year-old Lynne Weedon in Hounslow in September 1975. This came even though the crimes were very different: Lynne was hit with a blunt instrument, raped and left for dead as she walked home from a night out – quite different to Eve’s murder in her home.''

Thanks dotr:)

I really rate Colin Sutton, but he left the police force before they re-looked at these cases. He obviously still has contacts within the Met, but I'm not sure how in the loop he is these days. Despite his immense track record, he hard a very tough time getting anyone to listen to him about Millie Dowler and Levi Bellfield. I guess current police chiefs don't like acting on information from retired cops (however senior they may have been).

Colin Sutton's documentary "West End Girls" has been delayed for a really long time now. This could be something to do with the information regarding the Lynda Farrow links. Although perhaps I'm reading too much into it... it could be because Marcel Theroux released a documentary on the same cases, and they both had the same POI... or simply because the television bosses didn't want to release another documentary about the same cases so soon after the Theroux one.

JMO but I don't think Lynda Farrow was killed by the same lunatic as Eve and Lynne (although obviously I haven't had access to as much information as Colin Sutton has).

If Sutton is correct, then David James Smith is wrong, but we need clarification about the DNA.

Is there DNA in the Farrow case, and if so does it match the DNA for Eve and Lynne?

rbbm
''When the DNA link between Stratford's and Weedon's murders was revealed in 2007, it was reported that detectives believed that DNA could also prove a link to Farrow's killing.[48] Police extracted a DNA profile of Farrow's killer and uploaded it onto the National DNA Database to check whether there was a link to Stratford's murder, but the tests showed that Stratford's and Farrow's murders were not linked, and that there was no match between the DNA found in Farrow's case to any other crime.[63] This indicated that there was no evidence to connect the murders.[63] The lead detective on the case, Rebecca Hamilton, confirmed the existence of forensic evidence in Farrow's case on Crimewatch in January 2009.[62]

Despite this, in 2022 former Metropolitan Police detective Colin Sutton, who led the high-profile investigations into Levi Bellfield and Delroy Grant, claimed that Farrow's murder could be linked to Stratford's and Weedon's.[64]''

Thanks again.. I'd forgotten about Rebecca Hamilton on Crimewatch.

If Hamilton and David James Smith are correct, then we have at least two maniacs (possibly three if the killer of Sally Sheppard is a different perp).

So why is Colin Sutton so adamant that Lynda Farrow was killed by the DNA linked murderer?

'Sutton is usually on the button' so it's all quite confusing!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzie201
Back