GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Awaiting Sentencing*, #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disturbing articles to read … however, no doubt some truth in it but mail online is always going to be deliberately sensational - who said it/how many etc etc,
Criminologist Wilson’s piece is interesting as well, but again he is prone to hyperbole at times but these all add to the bizarre jigsaw that is this murderer

Going back to the whole life sentencing topic. How would it work in terms of sentences for different crimes. Could they be added to each other. Eg 30 years for murder, 10 years for rape, 10 years for kidnap, 5 years for misappropriation of police status etc - to give a total of say 55 years (which most likely would be while life). Could it work like that?

Some of the great train robbers in the 60s got 30 year sentences and that was without murder. Although one man was severely permanently injured.

Re: the axe - he was chopping wood for fire? I recall somewhere on here around March citing a witness who saw a bonfire in the woods. Other evidence: well reports are that they traced his movements after her disappearance (from his phone signal I think), tallied it with cctv in the respective locations , hence why police were searching loads of different sites around Dover. CCTV showed him throwing something into the sandwich stream - maybe that’s the phone, and he had been linked to all the other places - the garage, tunnels, behind SJA Dover, the old breakers yard near the skatepark etc etc … so if they actually recovered anything I don’t know but he was buzzing about all over the area after the deed…
Also I recall his dad bought a bit of the land behind BJA. When he said to the witness that he had buried his dad in the copse .. very odd. But I did think his dad had died 2020? Before he went on extended leave from his diplomatic police job. Other news report cites family member saying his dad is very ill - so contradicts this, but his uncle did pass away at some point - I think that maybe whose ashes are scattered with the wooden cross in the copse. one other thing: I recall earlier on the threads the buscam shot of a car waiting at the lights with what people thought was someone scrunched down in passenger seat - do we now think that may have been the car? There were other shots that people here saw on the TFL website but that were then removed also - leaving a gap in the recordings uploaded. Presume that is most likely the one that captured vital evidence.

I remember the fire business too but I think it was in a different location - great chart? Which is miles away. I doubt very much he was chopping wood. If he was, to make a fire, he may well have been chopping more than wood for the fire.

His Father is alive - previous press reports were dubious and from a “source”.

Why would he lie to a stranger and say his Father was buried there? To gain sympathy (distraction from what he was doing when he knew he was doing something dodgy)? I think the Police should excavate that whole area of woodland he owns. Very convenient to have a family burial plot. There may be someone else buried there. I assume that would need a special warrant as is owned by his wife. Although I doubt she will enjoy using that land in future.

IMO I think he disposed of everything in a fire and drove all over the place to throw Police off course - and possibly just days out with his kids too as he was on leave. The trip to B&B was related - buying the builders bags.

If he went to such trouble to dispose of the body and clothing (and plastic wrap from the cars I assume) I doubt he would throw her phone in a river or scatter anything belonging to her anywhere. It could be buried somewhere though. They should dig up that land.

I am extremely glad to see that he has plead guilty. Thank goodness her poor family won't have to sit through a trial.

So many things I wonder about - such strange behaviour to say his father was buried there. I agree, they should dig it all up.

Im still wondering what the police were extensively searching for across so many locations. Very surprising that they didn't locate her phone, I thought for sure they would have.

Very curious about the searches that took place in Sandwich, since I don't think anything has been mentioned about this location.

A thought about her phone. It has been released that the last shot of her was standing next to someone tall in dark clothing next to the car. IMO he used his police officer status to stop her and talk to her, probably scared hrr we a bit into thinking she was doing something wrong. Asked her to get in the car (I have been asked to do that by Police before when stopped for not wearing a seat belt - before it was legal I might add but was recommended). I was uncomfortable about doing that even though it was a uniformed police officer in a police car. But they can speak with an intimidating authority and you do what you’re told.

WC probably then said he wanted to look at her phone to see where she has been so she handed it to him. What happened next who knows. Maybe he said he was driving her to a police station to take more details. And her phone was confiscated until they checked things out. He would almost certainly have turned it off straight away.

I would like to know if he was in uniform or not. And where he had been between coming off duty at 7am and stopping her late in the evening. According to current newspaper reports he had probably been cruising around all day. I think he must have slept somewhere.

Sheesh, he still cannot let go of his seemingly primary interest! imo.
43966757-9775241-Wayne_Couzens_seen_in_a_court_sketch_during_a_previous_hearing_r-a-84_1625911803090.jpg

Wayne Couzens seen in a court sketch during a previous hearing relating to the case. He pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to the murder of the marketing executive on Friday

I understand the need to find evidence but honestly, her phone is not going to give any evidence is it? It stopped pinging after the phone call to her BF. Whilst it may be ‘nice’ to have it, it’s not going to tell them much when they have the most conclusive evidence already… her body and his admission of guilt.

Oh, for god's sake! If Cressida Dick doesn't resign now, what will it take?

This whole thing is becoming an absolute s*** storm for the Met. If the Met had done their bloody jobs the poor lass would still be alive.
Going back to the whole life sentencing topic. How would it work in terms of sentences for different crimes. Could they be added to each other. Eg 30 years for murder, 10 years for rape, 10 years for kidnap, 5 years for misappropriation of police status etc - to give a total of say 55 years (which most likely would be while life). Could it work like that?

Some of the great train robbers in the 60s got 30 year sentences and that was without murder. Although one man was severely permanently injured.

Consecutive sentencing is rare here.

Remember though that the murder sentence is always a life sentence, the tariff is the part you spend before you can apply for parole - and there is still no guarantee that parole would be granted. If you are granted parole you are released on life licence. You never technically complete your sentence unless you die.

If he's given a tariff it will be 30+ years, perhaps 35 or 40. I still think he's looking at a whole life order though.

Reported for driving naked from the waist down in 2015 but NFA ?
<modsnip>

This is just looking like a series of absolutely EPIC fails by the Met!! And a firearms authorised diplomatic protection cop as well!!!

You know what it is - I'm a Registered Firearms Dealer, if I did that (in fact, far less) my RFD would get pulled instantly. Yet this guy is allowed to get away with all manner of deviant, criminal behaviour and still be handed weaponry I could only dream of being allowed to possess and is placed right next to some of the most sensitive human targets on the face of the planet.

The Met need to be eviscerated for their actions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know if he was in uniform or not. And where he had been between coming off duty at 7am and stopping her late in the evening. According to current newspaper reports he had probably been cruising around all day. I think he must have slept somewhere.

I think (according to reports) he drove home that morning after shift then went back to London in the early evening with the rental car so he probably slept during the day.
I do wonder if the MET will ever release further information about any previous history / missed opportunities on WC for damage limitation purposes and to save C. Dick's career.
It's fortunate that those buses had working CCTV on them that picked up the number plate.

Met officer Wayne Couzens pleads guilty to Sarah Everard murder amid ‘string of police blunders’

9 July 2021

Asked by the clerk of the court how he pleaded to the charge of murder, Couzens paused for a few seconds before replying: "Guilty."

Jim Sturman QC, defending, said: "His pleas today represents a truly guilty plea and remorse for what he did and, as he put it to us this morning, he will bear the burden for the rest of his life – his words: 'as I deserve'."

He will be sentenced during a two-day hearing in September and the judge, Lord Justice Fulford, indicated that he was considering the possibility of a whole life tariff.

Reported for driving naked from the waist down in 2015 but NFA ?
<modsnip>

Yep - one article said it was a man that reported it so maybe just dismissed. Like so many other flashing incidents IMO.

"Kent Police has confirmed the indecent exposure complaint in June 2015 was made by a man who reported seeing a man – alleged to be Couzens – driving a car while naked from the waist down. No arrests were made."

Assume as no arrests made, then nothing on his file. Vetting procedures need to be tighter. It does also suggest an institutional attitude generally that "flashers" are just a joke. JMO MOO

Sarah Everard's killer was accused of indecent exposure six years before her murder

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the need to find evidence but honestly, her phone is not going to give any evidence is it? It stopped pinging after the phone call to her BF. Whilst it may be ‘nice’ to have it, it’s not going to tell them much when they have the most conclusive evidence already… her body and his admission of guilt.

It could really help. She may have tried to make a video recording or take a photo that could answer a few more questions. I suspect it will have been completely destroyed. Finding parts of it could still reveal something. They should dig up that woodland where she was found - his land. JMO MOO

<rsbm>

I think we'll need a UK lawyer to weigh in on this, but in the meantime, here's my take on it. I am not a lawyer, and this is strictly my opinion at this point.

IMO, even with a guilty plea, that plea can possibly be changed at certain times within the court process.
A judge may wish to ascertain the circumstances that led to the accused entering such a plea (i.e. was there coercion, is it a false guilty plea, was there a plea agreement that a judge might find unsatisfactory, etc) . A judge may refuse a guilty plea based on legal reasons. I think sub judice will apply right up to the time of the plea being accepted by the court and possibly remain in effect up until the time of conviction or possibly even sentencing.
Subjudice covers up to the point of sentencing ( and in some cases beyond ) as you correctly stipulated Silly Billy. I understand why some posters believed it no longer applied after a plea was given but the law specifically says after sentencing ( there can be issues even after guilty plea that although rare, necessitates it still to go ahead as a jury trial, hence this caselaw as I believe it from my SIO training).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyingHorses4