GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Life sentence* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
10:07am
Couzens is 'filled with self-loathing and abject shame'

Jim Sturman QC has started his mitigation in defence of Wayne Couzens.

He tells the Old Bailey: "Nothing I say is meant to minimise the horror of what the defendant did that night."

Mr Sturman said that he has offered no excuse for what he did.

He added: "Accepts that he will receive a harsh sentence... he is filled with self-loathing and abject shame - and he should be."

There is little mitigation, the lawyer said. But "the battle ground is whether it should be full life sentence".
(Telegraph)

10:07am
Couzens is 'filled with self-loathing and abject shame'

Jim Sturman QC has started his mitigation in defence of Wayne Couzens.

He tells the Old Bailey: "Nothing I say is meant to minimise the horror of what the defendant did that night."

Mr Sturman said that he has offered no excuse for what he did.

He added: "Accepts that he will receive a harsh sentence... he is filled with self-loathing and abject shame - and he should be."

There is little mitigation, the lawyer said. But "the battle ground is whether it should be full life sentence".
(Telegraph)

'A cunning defendant would have spent weeks casing a web of lies'
Mr Sturman continued that "a cunning defendant would have spent weeks casting a web of lies".

But he insists his client did not that, sparing the Everard family from the "terrible" experience of "having to sit through nonsense".

He added that without a trial due to a guilty plea, the family were not subjected to "lies that are intended to bamboozle the jury, lies about the sexual element of the attack".

Mr Sturman added that Couzens' "special knowledge of a police officer - like Levi Bellfield did - spin a wicked defence that would have piled humiliation on the Everard family and six weeks of terror during a trial".

How is him being a serving officer mitigation? Ridiculous.
He used that fact as a means to kidnap, rape and murder a innocent woman he plucked off the street at random, while she was walking home.
The defence while I know it’s their job is going to make my blood boil.

Telegraph
10:14am
Couzens' early guilty plea is genuine remorse, says defence

The fact Couzens pleaded guilty and spared the family from a trial is evidence that he is genuinely remorseful, Jim Sturman told the Old Bailey.

I wonder if Jim Sturman really believes that he doesn't deserve life in prison. So shocking that anybody would disagree otherwise.

Yer man's just doing his job - representing his client. I'm sure he is equally appalled but this is British Justice and everyone deserves a fair hearing.

Although - advancing serving police officer as mitigation - my first though was WTF and I'm not prone to profanity!

The rest of the serving police officers in this country will have their lives made harder because of WC’s actions. They don’t deserve that. The average person in this country should be able to trust the police. The fact that he was a police officer and used that equipment and skills to terrify makes him even more dangerous imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member