GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Life sentence* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtNewsUK@CourtNewsUK

Couzen's barrister says when Sarah's family told him to look at them as they read their victim impact statements in court he could not raise his head because he was so full of shame https://courtnewsuk.co.uk/cop-raped-and-murdered-sarah-everard-then-burnt-her-body/…

2:25 AM · Sep 30, 2021·

All about him. If he had remorse he'd muster the ability to lift his head up if asked by a member of the victim's family while they have to stand there and go through that ordeal.

this, as well as:

“Mr Sturman said: "He deserves a very lengthy finite term, but he did all he could after his arrest to minimise the wicked hard he has done, and that is a reason to draw back from what the prosecution has invited you to do."

Genuinely, to me, reads as sarcasm.

Quite!

All about him. If he had remorse he'd muster the ability to lift his head up if asked by a member of the victim's family while they have to stand there and go through that ordeal.
Agree.
P's me off!
He did not, at any stage co-operate with the Police as far as I'm aware. IMO he still wants to keep ALL the sordid details to himself, to own them, to own the power over the MET with whom he had issue. Using SE as a tool against them.

That's not shame, that's control.

JMO

Last edited:
Sturman says he had no previous convictions and appeared to be living a law-abiding life. His colleagues described him as "friendly and calm" #SarahEverard

sbm

'Appeared to be living a law-abiding life' is an interesting phrase. A defence lawyer would definitely appreciate the difference between that and 'living a law-abiding life'.

Is there more to come out?

Thanks for the response Whitehall, that is interesting. It does seem like there should be a consideration for the lawfulness of the acting as an on-duty police officer then, whether becoming on duty from previously being off duty, or indeed already being on duty.

If the officer does not identify themselves as becoming or being on duty (such as the victim in your example case) or does, but for unlawful means (such as WC), then the mitigation it brings with it should be disregarded, whether the officer was a victim or perpetrator.

These finer nuances may already be in the law, but didn’t appear to be in the snippets posted by the Twitter account posted upthread.

Hypothetical scenario - off-duty officer (English or Welsh Home Office Force) driving down road in his private vehicle on annual leave in England or Wales. He sees male being robbed at knifepoint, gets out of car gives chase as suspect runs off. Catches suspect and gets stabbed and is killed. At the time he is acting in his lawful duty as a police officer.

This could require evidence over whether the killer knew, suspected or ought to have known that the dead victim was a police officer. It hasn't been tested yet in a court. I hope it never is.

P.S. I say England and Wales and Home Office Force as I am unsure of the current ruling for non-Home Office forces (e.g. Civil Nuclear Constabulary, MOD Police etc), Scotland and Northern Ireland. I suspect there are no border or force issues for incidents where immediate detention can be justified. Otherwise it's best to watch, phone 999, provide updates and let the local lads and lasses deal with it.

10:36am Couzens described as 'calm and friendly' by colleagues
Jim Sturman QC said of Couzens, that "he appears to have been living a law-abiding life with a loving family".

He was described as colleagues in the police who knew him well as "calm and friendly".

He was also described by colleagues as ‘THE RAPIST’ … I understand the right to a fair trial but EUGH.

Sturman says "there is very little evidence" he travelled to London with the intent of murdering a woman, although he did intend to rape and kidnap a woman. #SarahEverard

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

This is so obviously untrue as showing his warrant card was part of his method - once a victim had seen that they would be able to identify him if left alive. Poor Sarah.

Last edited by a moderator:
sbm

'Appeared to be living a law-abiding life' is an interesting phrase. A defence lawyer would definitely appreciate the difference between that and 'living a law-abiding life'.

Is there more to come out?

Good point.

The IE that we know of and maybe the details of the 12 officers being investigated atm in relation to WC.

Now we wait.
I have been off here for a while, i have dipped in and out periodically and have caught up with threads
This has really upset me, from the chaos and bewilderment at the beginning when it became apparent of what was unfolding before my eyes, to being quite terrified and a little vulnerable at my locality to this beast. I became slightly paranoid, i truly think there were press on here at some point and as i had shared quite a lot i became a little spooked, and as the investigation turned away from his home and family i felt i had little left to offer re updates etc, however this matters not now.
I have to say the details that we now have are shocking. Poor, poor Sarah, this man completely destroyed her. If he doesn't get a life sentence then i just dont know how they can justify that. Her families impact statements made me cry, how utterly soul crushing they were to read, unimaginably painful to them.

Agreed! The MET have a lot to answer for. Police officers with nicknames like that ought to be investigated.

It's easy with hindsight but at the time he'd have been far more justified in taking his employer to an employment tribunal or opening a HR case than they would in investigating him because other employees were calling him a rapist without a case.

Now we wait.
I have been off here for a while, i have dipped in and out periodically and have caught up with threads
This has really upset me, from the chaos and bewilderment at the beginning when it became apparent of what was unfolding before my eyes, to being quite terrified and a little vulnerable at my locality to this beast. I became slightly paranoid, i truly think there were press on here at some point and as i had shared quite a lot i became a little spooked, and as the investigation turned away from his home and family i felt i had little left to offer re updates etc, however this matters not now.
I have to say the details that we now have are shocking. Poor, poor Sarah, this man completely destroyed her. If he doesn't get a life sentence then i just dont know how they can justify that. Her families impact statements made me cry, how utterly soul crushing they were to read, unimaginably painful to them.

Glad to see you back. :)
I was thinking about you yesterday.
Quite understandable how all this made you feel so exposed.
It's nearly over for us - But, sadly, never will be for those close to SE.

This is so obviously untrue as showing his warrant card was part of his method - once a victim had seen that they would be able to identify him if left alive. Poor Sarah.

Plus the purchase of the carpet film minutes after the hiring of the Crossland.

ETA: unless this was to cover the rear of the car for the rape. The other items used in the disposal (petrol, builders bags) were purchased afterwards. So there is a chance that he decided later to cover up the rape by so brutally murdering her and then attempting to dispose of the evidence.

Last edited:
Now we wait.

Totally understandable that you'd be spooked, on so many levels. Nice to see you back LL. Your updates at the time were very appreciated.

Now we wait.

I remember your updates on the day they arrested WC. You must have been really shaken at living so close to all that was occurring. I hope once today is over you get some closure and that your enjoyment of your home isn’t affected.

The rest of the serving police officers in this country will have their lives made harder because of WC’s actions. They don’t deserve that. The average person in this country should be able to trust the police. The fact that he was a police officer and used that equipment and skills to terrify makes him even more dangerous imo

Also the way any I view the Civil Nuclear Constabulary (WC was a former CNC officer), they walk around my place of work with guns, tasers and batons. I'm sure they are just doing their job - despite myself I'm still looking at them differently to before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem