UK, Scotland & Ireland - Coronavirus COVID-19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's good news, but I still wonder where the 7-day quarantine for people with symptoms has come from? In the sense of what is the medical evidence behind it?

I also worry that for some people the breathing difficulties/pneumonia might not start until the second week, and that for some people in the more vulnerable categories they're not automatically out of the woods when they hit 7 days from the first symptoms.

I hope for Prince Charles that his case was very mild and that he won't have any problems like that. I'm just saying that's a general concern of mine.

I agree it doesn’t seem long enough. My Aunt is recovering from a virus which is likely this and she went downhill on day 8. I’ve read a lot of people say they feel a lot better then have a relapse.

14:47

English death toll rises by 367 to 1,651
A total of 1,651 people who have tested positive for coronavirus in England have died, up 367 from 1,284 on Monday, NHS England said.

14:57

Boris Johnson intends to leave coronavirus self-isolation on Friday despite pleas from Labour MP Dr Rosena Allin-Khan to stay away from people for a further seven days.

The Prime Minister has been self-isolating in No 11 Downing Street since he tested positive for Covid-19 last Thursday night. A spokesman said Johnson’s symptoms remained mild and he was following the UK guidelines by self-isolating for seven days.

Allin-Khan, however, has said that the PM should double his isolation to 14 days in line with World Health Organisation guidance and that the UK should change its advice accordingly. The current UK guidelines are that individuals should self-isolate for seven days, and entire households should do so for 14.

She told Sky News:

I would like the Prime Minister to self-isolate for 14 days.

I’m deeply concerned the advice we’re giving is not in keeping with what the WHO are saying - they’re saying you can continue to spread the virus long after the symptoms are gone.

The Mirror has the story.

UK coronavirus live: death toll sees sharp rise; Home Office extends NHS worker visas

I thought the conference was optimistic.

I am hopelessly not political (because they all drive me mad) but I am impressed with our team. V composed, together and somehow reassuring.

I thought it was a bit premature to be honest! I don't think we'll start seeing things flatten out until Monday at the earliest. (two weeks after we went into "lock down")

What do you all think of the U.K press conferences about the crisis?

I am pleased they seem to be honest about the severity of the situation. I am glad they don’t sugar-coat things to paint a rosy picture like what seems to be happening elsewhere.

I hope you are all coping ok.

#StayHomeSaveLives

I am pleased they seem to be honest about the severity of the situation. I am glad they don’t sugar-coat things to paint a rosy picture like what seems to be happening elsewhere.

#StayHomeSaveLives

Yes, they have been realistic from the get go I think. I missed todays presser but have been more impressed than expected by the others I've seen. Not a big Boris fan but rather him than Theresa.

#StayHomeSaveLives

I’m really impressed with the pressers. I especially like Jenny I think she answers the press questions really well and matter of fact. I feel reassured after watching.

I think Boris actually listened when doctors and scientists and the WHO explained what was going on, unlike another world leader. I'm not a fan, but he seems to be tuned in and not spouting nonsensical crap.

I think it's too soon to ease the restrictions. My husband just got his NHS letter today, basically telling him he still should be isolating for at least another 12 weeks. I think to really kick this thing and get it under control and prevent second and third waves, we need to keep doing just what we are doing.

I hate saying that because I'm starting to get stir crazy, but with my husband at high risk, gotta do what you gotta do.

#StayHomeSaveLives

I like that they are explaining the science behind it. They have dealt with it well; on one hand breaking the news to us slowly, warning us what is coming almost as you would a child, but on the other hand explaining exactly why, the science behind it and how it's going to help the situation.

They've struck a fine balance and I think they've done really well considering the overall British psyche.

Greg, I agree with Cags. I am no fan of politicians, I think they are all in it for themselves, even if they start out with good intentions....but our conferences are well presented and honest which is better than some other countries ( mentioning no names ! ).
Cags - don't even go there imagining how Theresa would be handling this - virus means virus ? strong and stable

Greg, I agree with Cags. I am no fan of politicians, I think they are all in it for themselves, even if they start out with good intentions....but our conferences are well presented and honest which is better than some other countries ( mentioning no names ! ).
Cags - don't even go there imagining how Theresa would be handling this - virus means virus ? strong and stable

"Strong and stable *cough cough* virus mean *cough* virus". (NHS logo falls on Theresa's head)

As an ex-Pat American, I am struck by the fact that the UK government seems much more focused on the individual person v the economy. And the young Exchequer guy (he's quite handsome, a nice surprise) seems sincere and determined.

Britain's youngest coronavirus victim': Boy, 13, dies alone 'after testing positive in London hospital', fundraiser says

Schoolboy Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab is believed to have died alone at Kings College Hospital in London yesterday, with family members unable to visit him in fear of catching the deadly virus, according to a fundraiser.

He is not thought to have had any underlying health conditions.

Boy, 13, dies alone 'after testing positive for coronavirus in London hospital', fundraiser says | Daily Mail Online

This news is extremely sad.

I agree with all of you regarding the press conferences. Thank you for your replies.

#StayHomeSaveLives

A funny aside: I have been making my 16 y/0 daughter make dinner every night. Good practice plus I'm sick of cooking. She found a wee bottle of prosecco shoved in the back of the cupboard from some gift basket. It's good stuff, too! YAY.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back