GUILTY UK - Shana Grice, 19, murdered at her Brighton home, 25 Aug 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In March, Lane went to Shana’s home with her two housemates, having met them at a pub. Shana was at home but left as she was unhappy at him being there. Lane followed her, pulled her phone away from her ear and pulled her hair.

In July, Lane visited Shana’s home to get his belongings but unbeknown to her he also stole a key to the back door.

This - above -is where I struggle with the information being put out.

We have the March incident and the July incident.

But in the middle of this - from April to July, Shana and Lane were seeing each other and going out as a couple.

It does not in any way mitigate what happened, but it is very one sided reporting of the situation as a whole.

I agree Alyce and I don't think it helps anyone. As I've said, Shana 100% had every right to have a complex love life and not fear for her safety. For the media to dress it as a simple "ex-boyfriend" situation maintains the narrative that women need to behave a certain way or expect to be judged.

Interesting to listen to the phone call between Shana and Lane.

Not at all surprised that he turns on the tears ... so manipulative!

The barely there tears appear during his lies to police during interview too ...

The Crown Court

at Lewes
Daily List for Thursday 23 March 2017 at THE LAW COURTS, 182 HIGH STREET, LEWES

Court 1 - sitting at 10:30 am

THE HONOURABLE MR JUSTICE GREEN
For Sentence
T20167363

LANE Michael
47CC2287116

Court 1 T20167363

MICHAEL LANE

For Sentence - Case Started - 10:23

Flora Thompson‏ @Argus_FloraT 50s51 seconds ago

Breaking news: Michael Lane has been jailed for 25 years for murdering Shana Grice

25 years, good. And the judge seems to have done well in understanding the complexity of the situation:

"Mr Justice Green, criticising Sussex Police, said: "You jumped to conclusions.
"In other words, she was treated as the wrongdoer and having committed a criminal offence, and Michael Lane was treated as the victim.
"There was seemingly no appreciation on the part of those investigating that a young woman in a sexual relationship with a man could at one and the same time be vulnerable and at risk of serious harm," he said.
"The police jumped to conclusions and Shana was stereotyped."

He that said after penalising Miss Grice for time-wasting, police then treated all further complaints by her with "scepticism".
The judge said another consequence was that Lane felt police would not act if he continued his "obsessive stalking"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-39363003

“We are very relieved that the man who killed our precious Shana, our only child, will serve a long and deserved prison sentence. Michael Lane is a dangerous and obsessive man. The police and prosecution had statements from other girls to whom Lane had in the past shown similar controlling behaviour. These witnesses came forward after his arrest but were not permitted to be called at trial for evidential reasons. Lane showed his arrogance and cowardice at trial by pleading not guilty in the face of overwhelming evidence. In his contemptible defence he sought to blame innocent men for his actions. He compounded this by relying on the wholly inadequate police assessment of risk to Shana to suggest he was no danger to her."
– STATEMENT FROM SHANA’S PARENTS SHARON GRICE AND RICHARD GREEN

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/up...sentence-given-for-the-murder-of-shana-grice/

I'm glad Shana's family seem happy with the verdict and sentence.

And whilst I agree with the verdict, I'd still like to see the CCTV images of ML in the hi vis vest. Just to be sure...

I'm glad Shana's family seem happy with the verdict and sentence.

And whilst I agree with the verdict, I'd still like to see the CCTV images of ML in the hi vis vest. Just to be sure...

I think the £60 in the car, and the attempted larger withdrawal matching what he asked for, is as strong evidence as it gets.

25 years, good. And the judge seems to have done well in understanding the complexity of the situation:

"Mr Justice Green, criticising Sussex Police, said: "You jumped to conclusions.
"In other words, she was treated as the wrongdoer and having committed a criminal offence, and Michael Lane was treated as the victim.
"There was seemingly no appreciation on the part of those investigating that a young woman in a sexual relationship with a man could at one and the same time be vulnerable and at risk of serious harm," he said.
"The police jumped to conclusions and Shana was stereotyped."

He that said after penalising Miss Grice for time-wasting, police then treated all further complaints by her with "scepticism".
The judge said another consequence was that Lane felt police would not act if he continued his "obsessive stalking"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-39363003
Ouch! Way to go judge! Stalking and obsession are still not taken as seriously as they should be here in the States as well. The victim has to prove repeatedly that the stalker is showing threatening and unwelcome attention. Restraining orders are nearly useless. And too many times it ends like this.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Sar. Gives a good, complete picture.

Would like to have seen or heard about the mitigation plea done by SRF but probably that won't be released.

A police officer accused of failing a woman murdered by her stalker has resigned before a disciplinary hearing.

[...]

One relates to 9 July 2016 - just over a month before Ms Grice was killed - when Lane was given a caution for creeping into her room while she slept.

[...]

He is further alleged to have failed to respond to a report of harassment and stalking made by Ms Grice just days later on July 12.

[...]

Between July 13 and 15, it is said PC Mills "failed to contact Ms Grice or update her regarding the reported incident".

The hearings notice said: "These failures resulted in Ms Shana Grice not being treated as a victim of domestic abuse and there being a loss of confidence by the public in Sussex Police."

In total, 14 officers were investigated by the IOPC. Its report has yet to be published.

PC quits before hearing over stalked woman

Officer defends handing teen fine for wasting police time before she was killed by ex

......James Berry, presenting the case against Mr Godfrey, accused the former police officer of leaving Ms Grice with the "clear impression" that she was wasting police time and had committed a criminal offence.

Mr Godfrey replied: "Absolutely, she did waste my time. I arrested someone (Lane) as a result of her evidence on a false allegation.

"She had committed a criminal offence - I don't get what you're trying to get at here."

Asked by his own counsel Michael Aldred about the case, Mr Godfrey added: "I took the lenient view that a warning was sufficient.

"The fixed penalty notice for wasting police time - that was not my decision. His (the inspector's) decision, which I don't disagree with, was that she should not be able to get away with making false statements"

Officer defends handing teen fine for wasting police time before she was killed by ex

......James Berry, presenting the case against Mr Godfrey, accused the former police officer of leaving Ms Grice with the "clear impression" that she was wasting police time and had committed a criminal offence.

Mr Godfrey replied: "Absolutely, she did waste my time. I arrested someone (Lane) as a result of her evidence on a false allegation.

"She had committed a criminal offence - I don't get what you're trying to get at here."

Asked by his own counsel Michael Aldred about the case, Mr Godfrey added: "I took the lenient view that a warning was sufficient.

"The fixed penalty notice for wasting police time - that was not my decision. His (the inspector's) decision, which I don't disagree with, was that she should not be able to get away with making false statements"

I do not even get what the false statement was. If he assaulted her, it should not matter if they were in or had been in a relationship.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003
Back