UK UK - Staffordshire, White Male, 23-39, torticollis (wry neck), buried on his knees, Mar'71

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay, I've been interested in this case for years, new to this site. Just read through everything. Read Posner's book twice, knew about the other one, meant to read it, forgot about it until now. I live not far from Burton, in Derby, lived there all my life. I have been to where this Doe was found, several years ago. My uncle took me there.. although actually I just now remembered that when we went there we sort of got to a point where he pointed out the little river island it was on and said that we can't get to the exact point.. or he didn't know how to I think. Makes it surprising he was found so soon, but that man who found the body was a former detective (retired I think), who regularly walked his dog there so it makes sense.

Here are my thoughts on refreshing myself on this case and reading this thread..

1. I do think most likely this Doe was indeed an immigrant. There is a significant Pakistani community in Burton.. and possibly Indian. To my knowledge there is not a significant Eastern European community in Burton however, not like there is in Nottingham and Mansfield (just north of Derby where I am). That said, it's conceivable that there is a significant Eastern European community in Burton that I'm unaware of, and I doubt the man is non-caucasian first and foremost as he is profiled as a caucasian male (also.. this is more speculative but I thought the Asian community become more significant in the 70s and 80s).

I do think it most likely this man was indeed Eastern European (Polish.. possibly Russian). He's been profiled as a white male, the theory about the ring on the right han, and that being a thing in countries including Poland. And the poorly done dental work. This is significant information I think. Considering it's thought poor and not to have been done in the UK, this supports the immigrant theory. I think we have a lot of key information that can help us build a picture of perhaps the most likely scenario of who this man was:-
- Born in Europe, quite possibly Polish, Russian.
- Had extensive albeit poor dental work done before emigrating.
- Had torticollis.. possibly this deformity is linked to his teeth and jaw issues?
- Moved to the UK after the dental work but before purchasing the socks and ring. Instinctively I theorise he moved here as an adult, say 5-10 years before his death.. but not necessarily. Theoretically he could have moved to the UK as a child or teen, in which case likely (albeit not definitely) with family.. whereas as an adult I think alone would be equally likely as with family.
- Within approximately two years of his death (I think?) he bought a wedding ring and a pair of socks which he died in. He bought them in the Midlands area, socks in Burton, so this suggests he was residing in Burton or at least in the Midlands.

That's a good deal of key information, I think one of the most significant struggles is that he was quite likely not from the UK. In which case we're not looking for a missing British person but for a missing person from Poland, Russia or perhaps another European country. How would most of us know who the missing people from these countries are? He could be someone who's missing person case has bene investigated and revisited over the years in his home country, and those investigating are oblivious to this Doe case. I think this is what has made it so hard to identify him.

Furthermore, he might not have been a legal immigrant perhaps? What if he was not even a British citizen? His wedding may not have been official, may not be registered, only existed in two rings and two promises.

This brings me onto my alternative theories, detracting from what I believe is the most likely but nonetheless worth considering..

2. I read in the news last week about a Midlands based human trafficking ring that was brought down recently. They were being investigated over a period of time, they were Polish people, and they were tricking people from their own country to come to the UK for good work but it was basically human slavery. This was happening now, but maybe something similar was going on then? What if this Doe had been lured over by human traffickers, he was killed by a beating to keep him subservient, or in an attempted escape? Actually, if he were trafficked he could've been malnourished, underweight, likewise if he were impoverished from a young age, which either way could explain the small hands. Or maybe he wasn't even a fully grown adult yet?

3. The cold war spy theory that someone mentioned. I watched this
recently, the Marconi murders. When watching the video I wondered if Fred's death could've been a similar thing.

4. The sex theory. This is a decent theory I think. The way he was tied, naked.. and yeah, it is strange how small his hands were, so much he had a womans ring... and what if the womans ring wasn't just because he had small hands but it's because he was trans, or was in a gay relationship and he was considered the wife. Like with the illegal immigrant theory, this too would mean that he would not be in any marriage records. A gay marriage from back then absolutely would not be official. Regardless of whether he was trans, gay or straight, the sex theory could work. He could've been screwing around behind his wife.. or he could've been doing stuff with women, a hooker perhaps.

6. Someone early on mentioned ritual. My first thought was that Burton really is not that kinda' place not like West-Memphis for example with the (probably exaggerated) rumours of devil worship, and the famous case there. It's just not like that at all.. but then I remembered there is masonry activity there. Some of my family is from Burton. A while back a friend of my granddads mentioned that he (the friend) has been a mason his whole life, I thought he was joking but he was serious. I told my mum and she said that grandad would not have been happy to hear that as he hated the masons. I also remember my mum and grandma.. on one or two occasions talking about other guys being masons, in a way where it was a negative like "Oh I don't really like him he's one of those masonic fellas/involved with the masons". So yeah, there is masonic activity.. and apparently some people hate it. So that's something, a possible theory that the masons are such a cult that some of them actually did this. Could've even been just a couple rogue masons who took the whole thing too seriously/too far.

A few additional things worth considering:-
- What if some of the information available thus far is serving as a red herring? I have wondered if they're wrong about the torticollis.. that it is incorrect information due to the way he was buried or injuries sustained in the event of his death. I'm no medical professional though, just a thought. Maybe there's a possibility he did not have this. Likewise, I have wondered if the socks and/or ring could've been planted for some reason... sounds a bit too convoluted now that I'm actually saying it though.

- The suspects. This is important. It's been established that they would almost certainly have had to have known the area, been from the area. This makes the spy theory less likely in my opinion, as does the poor burial of the body. Meanwhile it lends a little extra credence to the masonic theory as Burton masons would be Burton locals. Like I said I know at least one. Either way, at least one of those involved in the burial of the body has to have been a local who knew the area. I highly doubt this was done during the day time. The island is hard to get to as it is, and at night.. so people with flashlights, at least two people, carrying this body on quite a trek. Why? Because they think that in their local area this is the best place to dispose of the body with minimal discovery risk and minimal travel required. This also makes me think that's why the burial was so shoddy, they were short on time. Especially if the burial was on same night as the death.. could've died at midnight or early hours and then they're really pressed for time, sun's coming up as they'r finishing the burial. Or they could've waited to the next night so they had all night. ..there's at least one nearby farm, possibly more.. so you'd think someone there would've noticed a car stopping late at night and staying there for a long time, people with flashlights wandering about the fields. If so they probably thought they were detectorists, drunks or teens or something, and then as time goes on you don't remember things that well if you don't think it's a big deal at the time. This is quite frustrating to me because it means that the suspects very likely live in an area that I've known all my life, visited countless times.. could be people I know or more likely people my family know or know of. A few degrees of separation perhaps. They could still be living in Burton. Then again if they were not too young then, or if they lived high-risk lives, they may be gone. Anyway one reason I think this is important is because it tells us that while the victim quite likely was not from the UK, the suspects were. It means the suspects were locals but the victim not, which creates further difficulty solving the case I think.

- This idea has also made me question whether the victim was attacked because of xenophobia, or homophobia or transphobia if indeed he was any of those things.

- Another idea with regards to the suspect. Where is the wife? Seems like he has to have been recently married, and he lived in the area. So where is she? This is a significant question I think. Maybe she went back home.. maybe she or her children are still alive, still thinking Fred abandoned them. Or, maybe she was involved. If she was involved, then that would explain her absence in this case. She's around, knows it's her husband when he's found but doesn't say anything. This would mean that A) she unlike him is a local or B) there were locals who disposed of the body for her, or at least one who helped her. Then again maybe his wife was killed too and she's a Doe or just missing. OR, she never made it to the UK? What if Fred's intention was to bring his wife (and other family?) over at a later time, he died, wife back home never knew what happened.

This post is well messy now I realise.. hectic just like the case. So many tangents so many possibilities. I do think the murder was emotional, passionate in some way rather than a gang hit or spies. Because if it were those you'd expect it to look like he were murdered (gunshot, blunt force or something), and because if it were those you don't expect there would be locals involved to bury him there. I think the victim was quite possibly doing something he shouldn't have been, that is by societies standards nothing to do with what I think. Something that someone would've wanted to punish him for, or in which he'd be killed accidentally. So quite likely sex related.

It's going to be so difficult to ID him I think though if indeed he is from another country and especially if not legal.

Yeah, sorry this post is so long.. when there's something I'm so passionate about and interested in I find it very difficult to be concise and I just have so many thoughts and ideas about it..

New appeal to solve murder of naked man buried in shallow grave in Staffordshire

New appeal to solve murder of naked man

Over the years there have been many appeals to find out who the skeletal remains found buried on an island near the Newton Road area of Burton on March 27, 1971.

More recently an appeal was made in BBC's Crimewatch in 2017 revealing a new facial reconstruction.

It led to a possible breakthrough in the case when the family of a missing man, John Henry Jones, who went missing from Trevor, near Llangollen, in Denbighshire, Wales, came forward. However, familial DNA testing revealed it was not him.

Now, as part of the 50th anniversary since the find, a Facebook group has been set up by Burton man Neil Deaville called Who was Fred the Head?

It aims to identify who Fred really was.

Mr Deaville hopes that with modern DNA evidence, the mystery of Fred could finally be solved.

Please! One of my pet cases! I hope they are allowed to do genetic genealogy... but it will be challenging in any case as the UID is not American and his family will be underrepresented in all DNA databases..

I am just shocked the "Milkman Jones" theory is not dead yet.... he was ruled out decades ago.

New appeal to solve murder of naked man buried in shallow grave in Staffordshire

Over the years there have been many appeals to find out who the skeletal remains found buried on an island near the Newton Road area of Burton on March 27, 1971.

More recently an appeal was made in BBC's Crimewatch in 2017 revealing a new facial reconstruction.

It led to a possible breakthrough in the case when the family of a missing man, John Henry Jones, who went missing from Trevor, near Llangollen, in Denbighshire, Wales, came forward. However, familial DNA testing revealed it was not him.

Now, as part of the 50th anniversary since the find, a Facebook group has been set up by Burton man Neil Deaville called Who was Fred the Head?

Mr Deaville hopes that with modern DNA evidence, the mystery of Fred could finally be solved.

I like this kind of initiatives, but to be honest, from other cases, we know that the UK is not that eager to use Genealogical DNA analyses. IMO missing chances to solve cold cases like this one. And there are quite a few.

That is my fear. That they will do a half baked MtDNA and then say we have no results because he has no comparision in any criminal database...

Europe honestly sucks in that. So many cases are still solvable but overly careful DNA protection laws and not really an interest in genetic genealogy prevent them from identification... probably forever. Europe is stuck in the 1970s in that regard... they think as long as we put up some info on the police website and maybe also in a prominent case air a "xy unsolved" episode, we will get enough hints from the public...

Wont work like that.

A while ago I posted this on a FB website, so there is hope.

In the meantime in the Netherlands....
https://www.parool.nl/.../dna-van-duizenden-strafzaken.../
DNA from thousands of criminal cases under the microscope
Traces of DNA from thousands of unsolved cases will be re-entered through the DNA database from next year using new technology. The expectations of the police and the Public Prosecution Service are high: 'We will use this to solve all kinds of criminal cases.
The new technology is primarily used for more serious cases, such as murder, sex offenses or robberies. The Public Prosecution Service expects to be able to start the operation in the first half of 2021. “The NFI is putting the finishing touches to the necessary software,” says national forensic prosecutor Mirjam Warnaar.
These are criminal cases in which no unambiguous DNA trace, but so-called incomplete or DNA mixing profiles have been found. These complex profiles cannot be added to the national DNA database for criminal cases. They were often compared once with the database and then ended up on the shelf. It concerns five to six hundred profiles per year. Cold cases
Because the DNA database is expanded annually with 20,000 profiles, it pays to perform a new search more often. Previously, this had to be done manually, but now it is automated. “That offers enormous opportunities,” says Warnaar. "We will use this to solve all kinds of criminal cases, I am convinced."
New criminal cases in which complex DNA material is found will be dealt with first. Later, thousands of old criminal cases are also given a chance to be resolved with this method. The DNA project is part of several pilot projects with which the police, the Public Prosecution Service and the Netherlands Forensic Institute (NFI) want to take forensic investigation to a higher level. For example, a trial is running with a 'DNA minibus', where the police can analyze DNA traces immediately at the crime scene. The police are also investigating the possibility of digitizing cold case files, in the hope of finding a breakthrough with the help of volunteers.
The intended catch-up is desperately needed, argues Ruud Staijen, program director for the police's forensic investigation. A year and a half ago, the police and unions sounded the alarm because the outflow of investigators had resulted in a considerable staff shortage. That has now been partly made up. Staijen: "We have passed the edge of the abyss and are now a bit better off."

Adding link to new FB group mentioned in this article, created and run by locals -

Who was Fred the Head? - Facebook Groups

Brilliant original video with lots of information from police from 30 Nov 1971. It shows the area how it was at that time, locked gate to the small bridge, crime area, ladies ring he was wearing, sock, nylon rope, skull, upper teeth back denture, and even original sketches of the John Doe. It has also interview with the person who found the remains.

Interesting tidbit is that police even at that time send their policeman to Washington US, Smithonian institute with bones for lab testing. There they determined John Doe was approximately 29 years old.

Police already at that time ruled out over 400 people to be this unidentified man.

I am not sure how to directly link the video but it is in this link - ATV Today: 30.11.1971: Burton-on-Trent murder mystery

Link was posted yesterday by journalist from ATV Today to local fb page. They are preparing documentary about the case. Very interesting comments under his post - Memories of Burton upon Trent

Last edited:
Few photos I have taken from the video

Original sketches from 1971 (click on image to enlarge)
screenshot_2021-01-24-atv-today-30-11-1971-burton-on-trent-murder-mystery-9-png.280968
screenshot_2021-01-24-atv-today-30-11-1971-burton-on-trent-murder-mystery-10-png.280970

Ladies ring he was wearing - Ladies 9ct gold wedding ring on right finger manufactured in 1967/1968 by Henry Showell Ltd
screenshot_2021-01-24-atv-today-30-11-1971-burton-on-trent-murder-mystery-png.280971

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(9).png
    Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(9).png
    298.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(10).png
    Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(10).png
    263.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery.png
    303.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
A bit more sensitive photos from video - skull and upper back teeth dentures. He had lots of fillings and extensive dental work was done less than 6 months before his death.

screenshot_2021-01-24-atv-today-30-11-1971-burton-on-trent-murder-mystery-6-png.280974
screenshot_2021-01-24-atv-today-30-11-1971-burton-on-trent-murder-mystery-4-png.280976
screenshot_2021-01-24-atv-today-30-11-1971-burton-on-trent-murder-mystery-5-png.280977
screenshot_2021-01-24-atv-today-30-11-1971-burton-on-trent-murder-mystery-2-png.280978

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(6).png
    Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(6).png
    479.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(4).png
    Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(4).png
    881.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(5).png
    Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(5).png
    709.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(2).png
    Screenshot_2021-01-24 ATV Today 30 11 1971 Burton-on-Trent murder mystery(2).png
    497.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Brilliant original video with lots of information from police from 30 Nov 1971. It shows the area how it was at that time, locked gate to the small bridge, crime area, ladies ring he was wearing, sock, nylon rope, skull, upper teeth back denture, and even original sketches of the John Doe. It has also interview with the person who found the remains.

Interesting tidbit is that police even at that time send their policeman to Washington US, Smithonian institute with bones for lab testing. There they determined John Doe was approximately 29 years old.

Police already at that time ruled out over 400 people to be this unidentified man.

I am not sure how to directly link the video but it is in this link - ATV Today: 30.11.1971: Burton-on-Trent murder mystery

Link was posted yesterday by journalist from ATV Today to local fb page. They are preparing documentary about the case. Very interesting comments under his post - Memories of Burton upon Trent
Wonderful video, looking forward to the full documentary!

Also to mention, media often state that John Doe wore pink socks. Well, he did not. Socks were regular ugly mustard brown coloured socks of smaller man. In video it mentions that detectives estimated that socks showed about 3 month of wear and had inprints on them from not well fitted shoes. They were bought at local Burton market.

upload_2021-1-24_22-24-1.png upload_2021-1-24_22-25-29.png

His pattern of tooth decay is really intriguing. It did not affect the occlusal surface but ALL the lateral/buccal ones. Very rare. And i am wondering whether most of his molars and premolars never erupted or all were lost antemortem. It would even with terrible oral care be a highly unusual pattern for such a young person.
I believe there is more to it. Maybe a special needs situation, genetic condition... or severe neglect from childhood on... the latter though you would also be able to tell from the bones and enamel and there does not seem to be any hint.

Him being from India, I thought of that possibility, as just like with Middle Easterners, skulls from that part of Asia have features that can easily be misinterpreted as "European". But then he had red/strawberry blond hair, that would rule that possibility out, I guess.

Last edited:
Another thing, i am no dentist, but his dental work looks fine to me for the era. Well fitted partial denture and relatively clean amalgam alloy fillings. Not hammered gold, of course, but decent work on a budget.

He also suffered from severe paradontitis, the bone of his bottom jaw is receding and signs of it on the top.. no wonder with all that decay. But it was taken care of at some point. Maybe when he married?

The link has a bit more detail too. rbbm.
4E545C67-FF2B-F107-2661EE4BE04B2C6B.jpg

The body was buried in a pit about four feet down and covered over, but this man’s dog started digging at the ground and uncovered the skull.

The body was sitting on its haunches and had been in the ground for about nine months.”

The dead man was naked apart from a pair of pink socks and a wedding ring which was later traced to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham.

A cord was tied around his wrists and another tied his ankles together.

Both were found to come from Bradford, West Yorkshire.
is this photo the actual remains of this UID? super chilling o_O the intact body with the completely skeletonized head freaks me out... also, who buries a body so that the head is just under the surface, surely that would be a risky move, couldn't you turn the body back-up so nothing is at risk of 'poking out'? of course ive never buried a body so im no expert :p

Murdered man might be victim of notorious serial killer
''Hardy, dubbed The Camden Killer, was born in 1951 in Winshill - the area in which Fred's skeletal remains were found in 1971.''

''Members of a newly formed Facebook group Who was Fred the Head? set up marking the 50th year of Fred's discovery, have now theorised that he could have been the first victim of Anthony Hardy.

They say a link can be made between the fact Fred was only wearing socks and Hardy was well known to have dressed his victims in Mr Men ‘Mr Happy’ socks.

Hardy would have been just 20 when Fred was found and it was believed he had been killed and buried under a mound of earth up to a year earlier. Hardy grew up in the area Fred was found''
Murder victim Fred the Head seen in colour for first time
  1. 0_fredthehead_08.jpg

Did Fred wear glasses?

(Image: Kim MacBeth/ Professor Caroline Wilson at Liverpool University's facelab)5 of 7
  2. 0_fredthehead_10.jpg

Could Fred actually be a woman? A theory dismissed by police

(Image: Kim MacBeth/ Professor Caroline Wilson at Liverpool University's facelab)6 of 7
  3. 0_fredthehead_09.jpg

He may have had a full beard and moustache

(Image: Kim MacBeth/ Professor Caroline Wilson at Liverpool University's facelab)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseCherami
Back