Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Eucalyptuz
Getting hit by a car on very narrow,twisting road in rain , lots of tight sharp bends, steep banking in places...I've walked it quite a few times up to the garden centre and also back, even in snow, to pick up my car from the mechanic who works there. Actually people are rarely seen walking there so those witnesses who may have seen Susan were probably right in coming forward to police to say it might have been her. No one local would walk that road on a Sunday evening (garden centre and mechanic both closed).

Queen Bee et al, thank you all for your moral support. Today is my first day off from my trips with the canine searchers, my trusty pals. I had to work a split shift today so have come home exhausted. This weekend I am away so will not be out and about but will follow the thread anyway in case something develops.
I do appreciate everyone's ideas on this forum. Sometimes I get a hunch where t search based on one of your ideas....two heads are better than one, as they say. And we have quite a few clever people here applying themselves to this mystery.
I just want to add that the more I walk around this area, the more idealise that there are very few places that one could properly slip and injure oneself so bad that it could cause death. I think more along the lines of an injury happening and then Susan being unable to reach help and eventually succumbing to cold and hypothermia. After all , the week following her disappearance it was only one or two degrees above freezing each night.

Yes hippy hippy, it does seem a dangerous place to walk from Google Earth. Plus in the rain even more dangerous. If she had been struck by a car, the rain would have washed away any evidence of impact...
No leads, waning local interest and the family that seem to have given up... where could she be?!?

so my scottish friends, what do you make of the psychic's reading in the link above? i'm going to paste it here.......

“A (psychic) I consulted said ‘the words alma and croft or craft, letters P-K-N, and a place with stacked stones next to a drop off is where she was last viewed’ ... it’s crazy but maybe that description means more to the locals.”

http://cumberlink.com/news/local/po...5930-bf62-a165f7ac4555.html?comment_form=true

does it spark a thought or an eyeroll? :seeya:

:rose: susan...........holding onto hope

Hi Queen Bee
I do not rate psychics at all
However, there is a track almost opposite the resort entrance that takes you up to a The Dun, it is well marked at a trail, 1mile from resort. It leads past a house then a farm hous further up. There is a gate at this point that says Beware of the Bull so I have only approached the Dun, a wee hill with a cairn, stack of stones, in a clearing, from the other side, I am terrified of bulls plus I had two dogs with me at the time. Anyway the oath from this gate is well marked with signs leading through woodland to a clearing at the top where there is ruins of an old croft, and of course a cairn. I sat there on a gorgeous clear day about ten days ago and the views up north and beyond to valleys and mountains are spectacular. The kind of place you would sit and contemplate,you know what I mean? Anyway while I sat there I said a prayer for Susan, then headed down a different route toward the resort to avoid mr bull. What I did not realise until a second trip up that way via a different route, was that just north of the cairn, if you go off track, you end up on a cliff edge. I checked the bottom of most of the cliffs however this was on the day that it was pouring rain and windy and I had become lost, do you remember that post? I wasn't really looking by this point I was just trying to get the H out of there. So if psychics do have any credibility, then this one could be visualizing this location. P K N is most likely our county, Perth and Kinross North. Or just North could be the cliffs below the cairn are north facing. I shall go back there and really spend a few hours just in that location, checking more thoroughly. But it will have to wait until Monday as I head to sunny Home of Golf St Andrews to the family home.

Hi Queen Bee
I do not rate psychics at all
However, there is a track almost opposite the resort entrance that takes you up to a The Dun, it is well marked at a trail, 1mile from resort. It leads past a house then a farm hous further up. There is a gate at this point that says Beware of the Bull so I have only approached the Dun, a wee hill with a cairn, stack of stones, in a clearing, from the other side, I am terrified of bulls plus I had two dogs with me at the time. Anyway the oath from this gate is well marked with signs leading through woodland to a clearing at the top where there is ruins of an old croft, and of course a cairn. I sat there on a gorgeous clear day about ten days ago and the views up north and beyond to valleys and mountains are spectacular. The kind of place you would sit and contemplate,you know what I mean? Anyway while I sat there I said a prayer for Susan, then headed down a different route toward the resort to avoid mr bull. What I did not realise until a second trip up that way via a different route, was that just north of the cairn, if you go off track, you end up on a cliff edge. I checked the bottom of most of the cliffs however this was on the day that it was pouring rain and windy and I had become lost, do you remember that post? I wasn't really looking by this point I was just trying to get the H out of there. So if psychics do have any credibility, then this one could be visualizing this location. P K N is most likely our county, Perth and Kinross North. Or just North could be the cliffs below the cairn are north facing. I shall go back there and really spend a few hours just in that location, checking more thoroughly. But it will have to wait until Monday as I head to sunny Home of Golf St Andrews to the family home.

Thanks again for all the info, if those 'hints' would mean anything to anyone, it would be you.

I can see the track that you mean, across the road and to the right?

When I mentioned a track to you I was thinking of the road across from the resort that has a sign 'Croftness Farm' at the entrance.

Hope you have a lovely weekend and we'll look forward to your updates when you're back. :)

Edit: When I mentioned it upthread it was because it was raining and I doubted whether she'd take herself off down a muddy path with her white slip on shoes on, but might have wandered down the road for a short while?

yes, do have a lovely weekend hippy and a relaxing one too my friend......talk with you next week and hugs to the fluffies :seeya:

:rose: sarah........holding onto hope :heartbeat:

Thanks again for all the info, if those 'hints' would mean anything to anyone, it would be you.

I can see the track that you mean, across the road and to the right?

When I mentioned a track to you I was thinking of the road across from the resort that has a sign 'Croftness Farm' at the entrance.

Hope you have a lovely weekend and we'll look forward to your updates when you're back. :)

Edit: When I mentioned it upthread it was because it was raining and I doubted whether she'd take herself off down a muddy path with her white slip on shoes on, but might have wandered down the road for a short while?

Hi Alysius
Yes the trail up to The Dun, (the name of the hill with the cairn of stones at the top, ) is the trail I am referring to. Croftness farm is the one that has the field with the alleged bull in it. So to continue up the track, not down, you have to go through that gate then through woodland, well signed track, and up to the top.
What I want to know is this: is the psychic in the US and not familiar with the case? Or is she a local?
Writing this in our St. Andrews home overlooking the beach and a very different scenery, and a different calibre of golf course than the one I live on in aberfeldy. Enjoying my downtime, thank you

Hi Alysius
Yes the trail up to The Dun, (the name of the hill with the cairn of stones at the top, ) is the trail I am referring to. Croftness farm is the one that has the field with the alleged bull in it. So to continue up the track, not down, you have to go through that gate then through woodland, well signed track, and up to the top.
What I want to know is this: is the psychic in the US and not familiar with the case? Or is she a local?
Writing this in our St. Andrews home overlooking the beach and a very different scenery, and a different calibre of golf course than the one I live on in aberfeldy. Enjoying my downtime, thank you

I get you. I was thinking track as in pathway/dirt track and the other as a road (though I realise it's not a public road but private road leading passed some large houses until it comes to the farm at the end?) Right, that's interesting, and of course you're interpretation of the 'psychic's' visions make perfect sense too.

Just would have thought that the police dogs would have picked up her scent from the resort entrance if she had gone that way. There are other things that you have said in the thread that keep bothering me too but I don't think I can put my finger on quite what it is just yet.

Aloysius
I wonder if you are referring to the point that at first the family said she had been last seen at the resort at about 6:30 and then later the CCTV revealed she was still there at 7:45... This has certainly confused me. No one else in the media has mentioned this difference of time, or speculated on it.
Re the police dogs and the scent...is it possible the family did that short trek the day before when it was sunny and dry and so if the police took the dogs there, they may have discounted the scent trail as being from the day before. I don't know how it works, but this may be a possibility. The trail is very beautiful, very close by, and very rewarding at the top with the amazing scenery so I'm sure it's popular with resort visitors.
None of this of course is helped by the witnesses who said they saw her further up the A836. unless.....and this is what I'm thinking. She accessed the Dun from the track that leads off from the garden centre, planning to do a circular walk, and arrive at the resort coming DOWN the track to the resort at the end of her walk. She may have consulted her map before setting out. But

yes, do have a lovely weekend hippy and a relaxing one too my friend......talk with you next week and hugs to the fluffies :seeya:

:rose: sarah........holding onto hope :heartbeat:

oh my goodness i typed sarah :blushing:

let's make that "susan" and please do forgive me, can you tell i was up until 4:30 am this morning? lol........well, let's take it as a good sign that she is going to come home to us, read this thread some day and chastise me in person with a hearty joke about it.....i would love that :heartbeat:

:rose: SUSAN.......holding onto hope :heartbeat: ALWAYS

Aloysius
I wonder if you are referring to the point that at first the family said she had been last seen at the resort at about 6:30 and then later the CCTV revealed she was still there at 7:45... This has certainly confused me. No one else in the media has mentioned this difference of time, or speculated on it.
Re the police dogs and the scent...is it possible the family did that short trek the day before when it was sunny and dry and so if the police took the dogs there, they may have discounted the scent trail as being from the day before. I don't know how it works, but this may be a possibility. The trail is very beautiful, very close by, and very rewarding at the top with the amazing scenery so I'm sure it's popular with resort visitors.
None of this of course is helped by the witnesses who said they saw her further up the A836. unless.....and this is what I'm thinking. She accessed the Dun from the track that leads off from the garden centre, planning to do a circular walk, and arrive at the resort coming DOWN the track to the resort at the end of her walk. She may have consulted her map before setting out. But

I'm curious about the missing 70 odd minutes too.

Also find it odd that she chose to go for a stroll on a dirty, wet night in those clothes and shoes! No wonder you're neighbour offered her a lift, it must have been obvious that she wasn't dressed for the weather and probably thought she'd broken down somewhere!

Of course if she did accept a lift some time up that road, who knows where she could have ended up. Far from where anyone would think to look for her I would imagine and will be the fate of some poor fisherman or hiker to make that discovery.

I've just read the whole thread of a US citizen who went missing in April in Spain, again without a trace, and am quite amazed at the resources, both from the local authorities and from the local population, that have been launched to find this woman. Teams of volunteers are searching in such a well organised way and family and friends, one in particular from America, are conducting this search in a highly visible and methodical fashion, using social media platforms, the press and local knowledge, and in general keeping the case alive and active.

With the husband leaving Scotland so quickly after Susan went missing, I wonder if the family had a pact of some kind. Like, did Susan have some terminal illness and this is how she chose to depart?

I just don't understand how the husband leaves his missing wife behind, with no more info than what was available at the time. Someone up thread mentioned the family farm back home, animals needing care perhaps, the need to work, money concerns, etc., being reasons why the husband left. Good grief, in this situation, there were certainly people who would take care of chores, and money? The family had just enjoyed a two week holiday in Scotland, which leads me to believe they either had money or access to money.

IIRC, he left within two weeks of Susan's disappearance.

<modsnip>

SMH. MOO and all that.

hippy hippy, thank you so very much for the time and effort you have invested on Susan's behalf, and for sharing your insights on this forum. I cannot fathom why her family is not in the area searching, too.

My apologies, bessie. I was frustrated and annoyed with another issue, and those feelings obviously spilled over into my post. Thank you for your watchful eye and oversight of the forum.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
59lilBERNICE
Back