Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't help thinking, even after all the searching HH has been doing, without Lumberjill coming over from Canada, Susan was forgotten about weeks ago in Aberfeldy. I'm not knocking the locals or police, they're limited to what they can do and I know the police searched well for her initially. A lady coming all that way to look for her long time friend (what a fabulous friend!) has gained media interest again and most importantly, the police interest! I'm so hoping Susan is eventually found and I really can't wait to hear the results from the DNA testing! I wonder how long we will have to wait? I think it will depend on these results as to whether the police go back and search that area again, with cadaver dogs. I don't feel confident they'll do it without them.
It's funny how some cases we are drawn to more than others but Susan's I've always followed and I can't tolerate the idea she would be left outside, indefinitely.
Will patiently await any further updates, only wish I could physically help.

I hope the interest in the blanket and dog will spur another search by police to the area that the dog ran off to. It's not fair that it's been up to poor Hippyhippy all this time to keep the search going.
Hippy, I know you have heard this before on this thread, but it bears saying again, you are a wonderful soul. Here on Websleuths we learn about the absolute worst of mankind. I am warmed to also bear witness to the best of mankind. That is what you represent. You. Go. Girl.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hippy hippy is absolutely unbelievably generous and giving! Crim Inv Div called her from her weekend away, asking her to go to CID headquarters in Perth tonight. They would not go to her, 2 hours away from Aberfeldy. She's probably there now, and I wait for her text message or posting here. It seems to me that the only reason that CID would want her for another statement would be if one of the DNA tests was positive. Why else? Missing Susan with a heavy heart tonight.

hippy hippy is absolutely unbelievably generous and giving! Crim Inv Div called her from her weekend away, asking her to go to CID headquarters in Perth tonight. They would not go to her, 2 hours away from Aberfeldy. She's probably there now, and I wait for her text message or posting here. It seems to me that the only reason that CID would want her for another statement would be if one of the DNA tests was positive. Why else? Missing Susan with a heavy heart tonight.
Sorry for your sorrow Lumberjill. Your friend has captured my heart from day one. I pray for her family and friends. I truly hope that during this trip you will find the answers you seek.

Sorry for your sorrow Lumberjill. Your friend has captured my heart from day one. I pray for her family and friends. I truly hope that during this trip you will find the answers you seek.

Same here. I feel so badly for her family and friends. I hope she knew how much she was loved by so many as that is all any of us could wish for. It sounds like she was a wonderful friend to have. Praying for answers soon. God Bless HH and Lumberjill. Xo

Well that is interesting news Lumberjill for sure - albeit not good news if what is suspected is correct with a positive match, but would help to narrow down the search area and ultimately bring closure...as horribly sad as it would be. Thinking of you, the family and HH right now and sending cyber hugs till we know more.

I too was wondering if DNA testing could be done that fast, so we could be getting ahead of ourselves with thinking they have the results already. Though HH may not be able to talk about what transpired with the CID in either case.

I hope the interest in the blanket and dog will spur another search by police to the area that the dog ran off to. It's not fair that it's been up to poor Hippyhippy all this time to keep the search going.
Hippy, I know you have heard this before on this thread, but it bears saying again, you are a wonderful soul. Here on Websleuths we learn about the absolute worst of mankind. I am warmed to also bear witness to the best of mankind. That is what you represent. You. Go. Girl.

Bit in bold I was hoping that the Private Investigator that Susan's husband has hired would have looked into this, but I suppose it is wise to wait for the outcome of the testing of hippy hippy's dog's blanket and collar. I hope we hear about that soon.

I am still thinking of Susan every day and sincerely hope that Lumberjil finds answers, I would hate for her to have to go home with still not knowing what happened to her dear friend. Sending my best wishes to her and hippy hippy.

I heard that DNA for human/non-human can be checked quite easily and fast. And that would give lots of info on the dog with the bloody head---just knowing it is human or not would mean so much. But for certain ID of Susan's DNA, CID said up to ten days, but less because he'd put an "expedite" on the Police Scotland lab request. And he didn't say how speedy an expedited request goes through. They have Susan's hair brush, and her husband and son's DNA, so plenty of samples for confirmation.

Thank goodness for HH - a true angel and Lumberjil a true best friend and who I feel is Susan's voice. If not for the efforts of a stranger and a best friend, I fear this case would have gone away silently.

I am glad Lumberjil went there in person to pursue this because it seems that effort and level of concern began to set things in motion. HHs tireless searching could have been for nothing if no one went back over to push the issue. These two are an amazing duo.

I heard that DNA for human/non-human can be checked quite easily and fast. And that would give lots of info on the dog with the bloody head---just knowing it is human or not would mean so much. But for certain ID of Susan's DNA, CID said up to ten days, but less because he'd put an "expedite" on the Police Scotland lab request. And he didn't say how speedy an expedited request goes through. They have Susan's hair brush, and her husband and son's DNA, so plenty of samples for confirmation.

Hi Lumberjill, if it is determined that the blood is human and not animal, I hope that in that case the Police will not wait for a confirmation to whom the blood belongs but go searching in that area immediately.
If the blood turns out to be human, something serious happened there, whatever it may have been.

:candle:

I agree; when my son & I were shown the Lip Gloss nothing was said about hippy's dog, or the 3 hikers she reported. It was 5 weeks later that I learned about the dog & blood thru horse friends. Had I known at the time the Lip Gloss was found I would have insisted the dog be tested. The fact the area was searched & nothing was found doesn't explain the fresh blood on the dog. Obviously something happened which has not been discovered or explained.

equivet and all, the Crim Inv Div showed me their map of the checked area ("25 police and allied searchers on hands and knees") and it covered the region between Loch Hoil trail and the secondary trail that branches of it and runs nearly parallel to the north. Those are the N and S boundaries of the well searched area. The E boundary is where the two trails diverge, and the W boundary is the wall where the lip gloss was found. hh's dog sounded to be barking either in that area (on her maps here, it's roughly a pinkish rectangle where the dog was barking from) or farther north than the secondary trail. North of that second trail is my next planned search.
Between yesterday and today's searches we've covered the entire length of that lip balm wall from Loch Hoil trail northward to the river upstream of the Birks of Aberfeldy, looking from the wall and into the forest wherever we could stick our heads in through the maze of intercrossing branches. Thanks to the friends from Stirling that came to search with me, and to hh's son.

It does sound like progress is being made! Hoping for resolution for family and friends soon.

equivet and all, the Crim Inv Div showed me their map of the checked area ("25 police and allied searchers on hands and knees") and it covered the region between Loch Hoil trail and the secondary trail that branches of it and runs nearly parallel to the north. Those are the N and S boundaries of the well searched area. The E boundary is where the two trails diverge, and the W boundary is the wall where the lip gloss was found. hh's dog sounded to be barking either in that area (on her maps here, it's roughly a pinkish rectangle where the dog was barking from) or farther north than the secondary trail. North of that second trail is my next planned search.
Between yesterday and today's searches we've covered the entire length of that lip balm wall from Loch Hoil trail northward to the river upstream of the Birks of Aberfeldy, looking from the wall and into the forest wherever we could stick our heads in through the maze of intercrossing branches. Thanks to the friends from Stirling that came to search with me, and to hh's son.

BBM - Is this the search that took place a few days after HH went to the police after the dog fiasco and lip balm were found? And they did not take any search dogs (scent or HRD/cadaver dogs) with them on that day?

I was thinking that maybe the CID asked HH to come up to their offices just to go over some mapping of the area in more detail so they could do another search - regardless of the outcome of the test results. Did HH stay in Perth for another day or is she back now to help you search in that north of the second trail area? In any case...be safe and thanks for all of the updates!

One more question - I know it may not make sense for Susan to have walked down southwards towards Loch Hoil lake on that Loch Hoil trail, but has anyone gone down that way at all?

Star Anise, I have not had any replies from hh during her weekend away. I believe she's posted maps of her searches. The CID says the police and dogs have searched the area between the two trails soon after hh reported the lip balm/dog with blood. And two weeks later two police K9 vans were parked at the Loch Hoil trailhead. They ban the public from entering when they are searching.
CID would not give me a copy of their search map. I could only transcribe some of the areas and those that hh and I were feeling would be most significant. Sorry I can't answer your questions. I'm trying my best but can't get all bases covered.

Thanks Lumberjill! I did not realize K9 searchers went out there 2 weeks later. Good to know. I have seen the maps HH has posted of her search areas thus far, but was just wondering if anyone was considering going southbound more on that trail but I totally understand you only have so much info...really appreciate you sharing when you can and what you do know. :)

StarAnise, yes, going south of Loch Hoil trail is being considered as is the east side of Crieff Rd. I'm holding off a bit before I call in all local people for a big search because once we get DNA (even prelim) results we will know where to focus. Any positive human DNA result would lead us to only focus north of Loch Hoil. Now, we are doing that area on a low scale, because there is so much that hasn't been covered there, and it seems more reasonable if she were to walk in a circle from Moness and back toward Moness.
The stretch from yesterday's turnaround at the river upstream from Birks of Aberfeldy over to the Birks should be searched, as should the area N of the secondary trail which is a branch off north of Loch Hoil trail. But to be honest, backing off a bit to get early DNA information would save many person-hours of hard and risky searching. These searches all include the risk of twisted/broken ankles, broken hips, falls, and searchers lost in the woods. My searching partner yesterday took a nasty spill on the secondary trail when his boot slipped on the moist, low moss on the damp trail. Crashed to the ground, but being a 20 y.o., he sprang back up. Most of us are over 40, or 60, or 80. And we would NOT spring back up. Hope this explains my slowing down a little until DNA....

Of course, nobody should risk their own health and wellbeing in these searches, keep safe!

The Police Scotland failure in following up on hh's dog is not the only blunder this summer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33497318

This case astonished me, it does seem Police Scotland are lacking in their procedures, severe lack of communication.

I am in the south of the UK, near London and the weather the last few days has been nasty, looking at the forecast for where you are it looks bleak. Take care Lumberjill.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back