Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would just like to point out that when I went searching around our well known stores looking at these lip balms, the sole purpose was specifically to find out if the neutrogena lip balm with a red screw top, like we initially thought it had, was available to buy in the UK or only available in U.S. Shops. Had the red screw top not been available here in the UK, that would have led me to believe that the lip balm could have been an American tourists, albeit unused. Nothing more, nothing less. As it is, HH couldn't confirm if it was a white, red or blue screw top, nothing wrong with that but yes, the lip balm could have even been bought in the chemist in Aberfeldy itself and therefore could have been anyone's. I was certainly not trying to disprove it couldn't have been Susan's but quite the opposite. :)

Hi I just wanted to say again that I am not sure exactly what the lip balm looked like, whether it had a red or white or even blue top but perhaps Lorna you could ask police about this? It seems it does make quite a difference...
Yesterday my son and I also found two items of snack packaging very close by th wall where the balm was found, so we photographed them and have already asked Equivet if he recognises them. Susan does not eat this kind of snack. But what is revealing is that the SAR team did not find these...otherwise wouldn't they have asked Equivet way back then? One was peanuts with the Kosher stamp on it, the other was a cinnamon bun from USA, udamaged, both lying on he surface of the ground, so not hidden in any way. If I was SAR I would definitely have picked these up to ask Susan's family about them. So I am thinking, perhaps that particular patch was missed. I called Tayside police and am awaiting a call back to find out contac details of the SAR team leader.

Meanwhile we are leaving in a few minutes to head back up there and search further west and south. See you soon

Any chance the cinnamon bun has a use by date on the wrapper? I soppose there is always the possibility they never missed it, maybe it wasn't there 10 weeks ago and been left there more recently. Good find though. Hope you had a good day on foot today, the weathers been glorious.

I just found this thread today and started reading and goodness.. Hippy.. I have no words. You are absolutely amazing for all that you have done and continue to do to help find Susan. All of your efforts are just absolutely remarkable. You deserve a medal for what you are doing. To the friends and family.. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. The uncertainty of where your loved one is has to be so hard to deal with. I can't imagine how traumatizing this has been for you guys and even hippy. Praying Susan gets to get home.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Yesterday my son and I also found two items of snack packaging very close by th wall where the balm was found, so we photographed them and have already asked Equivet if he recognises them. Susan does not eat this kind of snack. But what is revealing is that the SAR team did not find these...otherwise wouldn't they have asked Equivet way back then? One was peanuts with the Kosher stamp on it, the other was a cinnamon bun from USA, udamaged, both lying on he surface of the ground, so not hidden in any way. If I was SAR I would definitely have picked these up to ask Susan's family about them. So I am thinking, perhaps that particular patch was missed. I called Tayside police and am awaiting a call back to find out contac details of the SAR team leader.

Perhaps SAR did not find these items as they were not there when they searched the area? Someone could have dropped them recently.

Hippy Hippy, Did you take the snack packages with you as well or just take the photos of them? Just curious. I'd think you would have seen them sitting there already since you've looked around that area several times, but then again if SAR hadn't seen them either they could have been left there recently (unless like you said, they didn't check that section).

I don't recall if Susan ate dinner that night...so if she did not, it would make sense that she brought snacks with her on her walk if they were hers. They may not have been something she normally eats, but when traveling you pick up this or that snack - from airplane or airport shops - that you may not typically eat or purchase as that is all there is to choose from. I've done that before and tossed them in my backpack and forgot I even had them until later.

The fact the cinnamon roll was from USA is interesting. A cinnamon roll in a package seems to be more of a convenience store item, or one bought at an airport store. I suppose there could be other American tourists in the area, unless a local store had them imported but it is doubtful for something like that I'd think.

With the weather having been so rainy and windy, I'd think those packages would have blown away by now...unless they were in a spot sheltered from being blown around. So again, most likely they were left there recently, but still good to look into.

Hippy Hippy, Did you take the snack packages with you as well or just take the photos of them? Just curious. I'd think you would have seen them sitting there already since you've looked around that area several times, but then again if SAR hadn't seen them either they could have been left there recently (unless like you said, they didn't check that section).

Hi, no they were pretty far into the woods, about six or seven trees rows in, and not in a place you would typically walk, unless going for a pee! Or trying to shelter. Very sheltered and dry within the forest, so no chance of litter blowing away. Found them in a patch I hadn't been in before,mthats why my son and I were in there!
Anyway, Susan's husbands is clear that they do not blog to her. It is for sure a possibility the Chapstick and litter all belonged to the same, maybe American, walker, and that person went off track to explore. Something I always do when out walking. Also possible the litter items were dropped there recently. Expiry date for both was 2017. Did not keep the litter but sent photos to police SAR contact and had long chat with her about where I found them and if I did the right thing to contact Susan's Husband with the photos. She said yes that was good and she also wants to examine all my maps and have any future mapping sent to her. So ALL GOOD.

Hippy Hoppy - I am not trying to be humorous when I say that you should be the lead investigator on this case. If you weren't previously involved in investigative work - you should be. Your thoroughness and persistence - not to mention compassion are amazing. I have been inspired to help LE on my local front if I see a case near me.

Each day I check back to see if you, Equavet , Lumbergirl have discovered any new findings. You all deserve closure especially Susan's family. Continued prayers and I feel that if they dedicate more search resources to you once more - there will be a resolution to all of this.

Where is the American Embassy/Consulate and the State Department in all of this? Up thread there was an article about Senator Casey wanting to be kept informed. Has he been helpful? IMHO, one would think the U.S. Government would want to be helpful and supportive in finding Susan.

سيق
This week's searches. Yellow is our search lines and also the square patch where interesting snack packets found, and pink is where SAR and police searched on hands and knees. Yellow dot within pink square is roughly where neutrogena picked up, so not too far from other signs of off track litterbugs!
P
image.jpg

Hippy Hippy, Thanks for the additional search area map! I am wondering though, it looks like the SAR did not go hands and knees in the yellow square area (where snack packages were found). In looking at your first map that you posted a while back, that area is the area your dog eventually ditched into the trees after you told her to "go find it", if I am right...so it looks like they missed that area!

Sounds like you and your son were able to poke further into that area (at least about 6 trees in where you found the snacks), which I am sure wasn't easy to do. Your persistence and determination never cease to amaze me!

Are there any plans on having SAR or a K9 search organization search that one section more thoroughly?

I
Hippy Hippy, Thanks for the additional search area map! I am wondering though, it looks like the SAR did not go hands and knees in the yellow square area (where snack packages were found). In looking at your first map that you posted a while back, that area is the area your dog eventually ditched into the trees after you told her to "go find it", if I am right...so it looks like they missed that area!

Sounds like you and your son were able to poke further into that area (at least about 6 trees in where you found the snacks), which I am sure wasn't easy to do. Your persistence and determination never cease to amaze me!

Are there any plans on having SAR or a K9 search organization search that one section more thoroughly?

StarAnise you are absolutely spot on. My mistake on that first map with the pink patch. I totally put the search area in the wrong place. The police searched the area to the left of where I marked and we found the snack litter last week to the right side of the wall. I may have to do another map later to day. Going out this morning to search as I am working from midday on.

Hi Everyone,

Websleuths member "Antibarbie" is a verified journalist working on the Susan McLean case.

Now Antibarbie will be able to post information without links and, if she is willing, answer questions.

It is up to you to decide whether to believe or not believe what Antibarbie is posting

No matter if you agree or disagree you must treat Antibarbie with respect. If you don't believe what she is saying then move on. Please do not nitpick away at her posts.

Thank you,
Tricia

Just back from a week away on holiday with my daughter, I did not have an internet connection but have been thinking of, and talking about Susan all week, in fact on our journey home my daughter said "come on then lets get you back so that you can get some news about Susan" Now that I have caught up it is so good to see so many people contributing with their sleuthing skills, something I am not very good at, keep it up!

With the results of the DNA testing being negative all questions that I may have wanted to ask seem to be covered, especially the Lip Balm having no DNA, that seems strange, although if I remember correctly Susan's husband had said he did not think it was hers.

I am sure the results have helped hippy hippy, I would imagine it had been consistently on her mind that Susan could have been there all this time, at least now she can continue with her amazing efforts afresh.

Lumberjill and hippy hippy my thoughts are with you, I wish I could be there physically and not just on Google maps, I am getting to know Aberfeldy very well!

This is what has bothered me a lot, I understand that if you have gone off in a huff you may not be thinking too straight initially but as you say, Susan being an intelligent strong lady she would have quickly pulled herself together. Having looked around on Google maps I just find it hard to imagine going off into an unfamiliar terrain at a fairly late hour, dressed the way she was and in nasty weather, but like yourself I have no suggestions, other than she is a confident person and did not doubt that she could find her way back off road.

Yes, somebody is searching every day. Hippy hippy searches every possible day, and I search when I'm not needling police, emailing, etc. Please PM us for details. I'd love to coordinate with anybody for on-the-ground work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon
Back