Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Awesome job Lumberjill! Susan and her family are so blessed to have a friend like you.

Hippy hippy, the amount of time and dedication you have put into this speaks volumes about the character and quality of person you possess!

You have both stepped up to make this world a better place. Please know that you are both appreciated!

Hello All,

Jumping ahead to say :gthanks: to hippy hippy and Lumberjill for the fantastic work accomplished thus far.

I've reached out to one of WS' esteemed SAR experts to ask them to review Susan's case. Granted, the terrain is across the pond, and perhaps unfamiliar.

However, it may be of value to the incredible work being done (I hope so anyway!)

hippy hippy has done an incredible job documenting searches with detailed maps and posts early in the thread (ETA: and the more recent posts by both hh & Lj should be immensely helpful) so there is much to work with on this thread, IMO. :cross fingers:

IDK what their availability is, so I hope to see them chime in soon. :)

:grouphug:

#FindSusan
:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I'd clarify the terrain of the area north of Loch Hoil trail. I'd call it rolling hills. Rarely is there a place to fall fatally, such as a cliff, etc. Slipping on the wet moss on flat trails occurs. Maybe a tumble over a stone wall or down the bank of a small stream, but no big falling risk other than in the Birks of Aberfeldy where there are fairly steep stream banks of maybe 30'. Some of the land is wide open sheep or cattle pasture, and the rest is the very dense forest with very closely planted trees. Hope this helps the person who might give us a read.

Lumberjill- do you consider any of the terrain treacherous? I guess my definition of treacherous may be different than the average, non-outdoorsy person. Like you and Susan, I am a horsewoman, more specifically a trail rider, and what many consider to be treacherous is an average ride for me. Are there places a person could go over a side, especially if the footing were slick due to rain? Do you think this is an area that would have given Susan pause to think it wasn't safe to be there?

Cutter99--I'd call it rolling hills. Def not treacherous. Slippery to step on wet mossy paths, but there are no significant cliffs. It's possible to tumble into a drainage ditch beside the trail. All the trails have been searched, so it's likely that she's in one of the forest sections. The one place with steep enough stream banks for a 20-30' fall onto rocks is the Birks of Aberfeldy, where it's been searched and searched.

Why did I picture cliffs that one could fall off on either side of a remote road? I'm not sure how to say this any other way, so here goes...

Is there a possibility that this is an abduction?

image.jpg

Yesterday's search. Blue circle is the bothy on main trail. Blue arrow is direction north to Aberfeldy. Red line is my route to the red areas that I searched which is trees, some very large and with plenty space beneath to shelter. It was rainy but when I went undercover, these large pines gave good dry shelter. Other trees are young spruces and other copses are the usual thick pines that are hard to get into. So that's another area ticked off the list!

Cutter99: There is a very slim possibility of abduction. Susan was present on Crieff road at 8 or 8:10, but gone by 8:18. It's possible, but this area has no crime. The excitement in town is when the police get called because teens are making noise at the town square. I sat through the Community Council meeting last evening when the police Sergeant gave the crime report. Tools taken from an unlocked garden shed and something taken from an unlocked car. I put abduction as low on the list as her running away to a new life somewhere.

Cutter99: There is a very slim possibility of abduction. Susan was present on Crieff road at 8 or 8:10, but gone by 8:18. It's possible, but this area has no crime. The excitement in town is when the police get called because teens are making noise at the town square. I sat through the Community Council meeting last evening when the police Sergeant gave the crime report. Tools taken from an unlocked garden shed and something taken from an unlocked car. I put abduction as low on the list as her running away to a new life somewhere.

Completely understand your reasoning Jill, abduction does seem unlikely given the type of community around there, but the fact that she hasn't been found yet is also a tad surprising.

Cutter99: Susan was present on Crieff road at 8 or 8:10, but gone by 8:18.

Snipped & bolded by me.

Lumberjill, not sure if you've ever specified or not but do you know exactly what part of Crieff Road the person who drove it was on at 8:18pm? Like did they know they passed the garden center right at that time or the resort at that time or where? And what direction were they going? I'm trying to figure something out for a possible new search area. Thanks!

STarAnise,
He drives from Glasgow to Aberfeldy (northbound) every Sunday evening. He arrived at his caravan at 8:25. He has since re-driven and timed it out. He would have been at Moness entrance at 8:20. He would have been at Gatehouse at 8:18. I believe his accuracy--he's a retired senior policeman from Glasgow.

Good luck for tomorrow.

I am hundreds of miles south of you unfortunately on the south coast of England, but if there was any way I could have got up there this weekend I would have joined the search.

I hope you get lots of local support and that it turns up something, anything, in discovering what happened to Susan.

For everyone searching for Susan, be safe, be careful and thank you more than words can say. I have very mixed emotions about it. If you find her she is gone, if you don't there is a chance she is alive. All I know is everyone wants her home.

Keeping all those out searching for Susan in my thoughts and prayers today! Please stay safe and take good care of yourself. Lumberjill and Hippy hippy, you are incredible!

I have contacted our WS member Mountain Misst in Austrailia to see if she would help with her special gift. She has been so spot on with other searches so I am hoping she will.

8 people, 4 dogs, 4 hours. Nothing.

Many thanks to all the amazing people and the dogs for the time and energy they put into this search!

Lumberjill, you have a sharp and scientific mind, so you know that given your hypothesis, nothing counts as a result as well.

Keep going!

:candle:

There's no need for an eye roll here - am not a psychic - just a side-kick.

It's all GPS coordinates, math and celestial navigation. That's the way the explorers found their way on ships. If it weren't for this method, I'd probably be speaking French. :)

I'm the profiler on the team, tho not verified as such by WS, so take it as IMO. I would need Susan's DOB please. I would also like to know the means of travel; vehicle, campervan etc.

I can chime in with some second hand info until equivet drops by with more. "Susan's sister found that Susan wasborn at 8:10 PM on April 11, 1954."
They flew Scotland, rented a car. Don't know if they used a ferry to islands or not. Thank you, Mountain Misst.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back