Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, Lumberjill is correct we flew to Glasgow, rented a car, took the ferry to Mull & back. Spent a week near Oban then came to Aberfeldy the 15th of May. Lumberjill has Susan's time & date of birth correct. We appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

1pinklillies, no disrespect taken. And of course you can assume whatever you feel is appropriate. But the lip balm WAS USED.
Baylea, you are right in reminding us that Susan might have accepted a ride. She didn't accept the ride offered from the person who offered it not too far from Moness, she actually diverted her head away so that her face couldn't be seen by the one who asked 2 or 3 times if she wanted a ride, help, etc. So I'm tending to think she wouldn't accept a ride offered later. Then there is the possibility of abduction, pulled into a van, etc. I'd imagine Susan would give anybody a helluva fight. She's strong. It would take two to abduct, plus a driver. Yes, it's possible, but with her hood up, a driver even wouldn't know if it was a man or woman. Plus, such crimes are very rare in Scotland, and unheard of in Aberfeldy.

Why turn her head so her face couldn't be seen?

Page 8 in Perthshire's The Courier: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...-for-missing-us-tourist-susan-mclean-1.893736

HH told us her neighbour offered a lift that night to who could have been Susan while he was on his way to pick up his wife from work. I'll have to go back and check on this but that he also saw her again, later. So, the second sighting with two occupants in the car, is that HH neighbour and his wife after he'd picked her up from work? TIA

Aug 8 Search smaller.001.jpg

We started systematically with the eastern-most treed areas, divided into four sections moving westward. hh, I know you've done quite a lot of this already, maybe even all of it. Please don't think we don't trust your great work. We just wanted to start at the east, and search everything going westward. We found your blue and white necktie, hh. And a nice walking stick. And animal bones, but not human.

Hi Pinklillies
I had heard from a colleague at work that my neighbour had offered a person a lift on the Crieff road when he drove up to collect his wife from work but when I eventually succeeded in speaking to him directly about the incident, he told me it was his wife's boss who offered the lift, twice, and that both he and the wife's boss gave police statements. He would not give the reason that he had to give a statement and we have spoken about Susan several times since then. I am hesitant to ask. It is probably just a case of the wife's boss mentioning to him when he arrived to pick up his wife that he saw someone walking up that road, how odd etc etc. Just dont know

image.jpg

This is a search I did Thursday which took me eventually behind the garden centre and back to the road. I doubt so so much Susan would choose to head this way, very dark, no views, intimidating in terms of all the warning signs re the logging that goes on there.

Thank you HH for explaining it to me, can see it panning out the way you say, one mentioning it to the other etc. And can totally understand you not asking about statements, I wouldn't either, they're definitely none of our business. Thanks again.

Thank you so much Mountain Misst for responding. You were so spot on with that firefighter that went missing in CA and so many more. You are so gracious with your time and skills and I am so hoping Susan will be found soon.

LJ, do you know whether equivet or Susan's sons or family members will be going back over to help support you in your search? Hopefully they can find some time to go back over. You are the quinticential friend and Susan has been truly blessed having you in her life.

Sending virtual hugs to LJ, HH and to those helping them in their quest to find Susan. I really hope they find her soon.

HH, my beloved Riley, whom I had to put down last Oct., was a mix of border collie, springer spaniel and black & tan (hound). She was black with white markings, typical of border collies, and had the most beautiful big floppy ears!

She was a gentle soul but also high energy. Her nose was always to the ground. She too, loved to play games! She also enjoyed chasing fox and rabbits and would run for hours on end. I literally saw the tail end of a rabbit chase one day when the rabbit just stopped. The poor thing was tuckered right out and I was worried it would die from a heart attack - probably stressed right out, also. Riley just kept licking the rabbit!!! Riley wouldn't kill a flea, let-alone another living creature.

I picked the rabbit up and carried him home. I grabbed some lettuce and veggies from my crisper, filled a bowl of water and put it down for the rabbit. He ate and drank with Riley by his side. After a long rest, he returned to the forest.

I honestly don't think your dog killed anything.

Thank you, Hippy Hippy for all your hard work and dedication to finding Susan. You truly are an angel and deserve the 'Citizen Of The Year' award. Lumberjill is running a close second! Bless you both.

Well, there is an add-on to the August 8 group search. One couple that searched the SW quadrant of the mapped rectangle found a paper towel used as a handkerchief about 30 feet into the dense forest north of the cleared path of the powerline/pylons. They passed it off as something left by prior searchers. But on Sunday they thought it over, and on Monday one of them returned to pick it up and bag it. It was delivered to me, and then the police picked it up promptly, along with a map of the exact sight of recovery marked. It's a long shot, but for now, the results are something to look forward to.

Scotland has a charity organization called K9 Search and Recovery. I think it was through WS that I first heard of them. It's been a slow path to get in touch, with their family illness, and their day jobs. But it looks like there will be at least one person and is dog coming on Friday to sniff for remains. It sounds coarse to call them "cadaver dogs", but that certainly separates them from the dogs that track a live person's scent trail. Here is their website: http://www.k9srs.co.uk/ They are totally separate from the police.

Thank you all for the encouragement! It really helps when things seem to grind too slowly.

Lumberjill, thanks for the additional info! Yes, I can see how the paper towel is a long shot but glad to see every little thing is being looked at and considered. And glad to hear that one person and their scent dog will have a walk around. I hope they do the entire Loch Hoil trail loop...though as I've said before, it doesn't seem to make sense that she'd have gone further south like that, but she could have just thought she'd keep going along the trail and would turn back (vs. do the entire thing) at some point to head back north again, or who knows if she got hypothermia and in a confused state started wandering in the wrong direction...which I am sure you've considered.

As an aside, regarding another term for cadaver dogs...they also are called HRD dogs (human remains detection) - though not everyone knows what the acronym stands for, but it is a nicer sounding term if you aren't comfortable with the other one.

Well, there is an add-on to the August 8 group search. One couple that searched the SW quadrant of the mapped rectangle found a paper towel used as a handkerchief about 30 feet into the dense forest north of the cleared path of the powerline/pylons. They passed it off as something left by prior searchers. But on Sunday they thought it over, and on Monday one of them returned to pick it up and bag it. It was delivered to me, and then the police picked it up promptly, along with a map of the exact sight of recovery marked. It's a long shot, but for now, the results are something to look forward to.

Scotland has a charity organization called K9 Search and Recovery. I think it was through WS that I first heard of them. It's been a slow path to get in touch, with their family illness, and their day jobs. But it looks like there will be at least one person and is dog coming on Friday to sniff for remains. It sounds coarse to call them "cadaver dogs", but that certainly separates them from the dogs that track a live person's scent trail. Here is their website: http://www.k9srs.co.uk/ They are totally separate from the police.

Thank you all for the encouragement! It really helps when things seem to grind too slowly.

Good luck to you all today, Lumberjill and Hippy Hippy. I hope you find Susan, so you can finally bring her home.

Morning folks.

A few questions on my mind for HH, LJ & Equivet:

Is there any possibility HH's blanket will be tested again?
Did you ever see/establish the exact lipbalm and whether it was sold in the UK or US? Is it getting tested again?
Hippy - are you satisfied the area where Phoebe got blood on her has been properly covered?
LJ - how much longer are you in the UK for?
Equivet - how are you and your boys coping?
And all of you - at this stage, having ruled much out and not much in, what is your gut instinct on what happened to dear Susan?

Still thinking of Susan every day. Lumberjill I hope you are keeping in good spirits, although I imagine it must be very hard. I hope today perhaps brings some news one way or another, will the K9 perhaps search the area that hippy hippy's dog found blood?
I have found Susan's missing page on facebook and see that a search is planned for tomorrow also, hope you get some helpers.

I too have been wondering about the Lip balm, also waiting for news of the paper towel.

Lumberjill and hippy hippy, you will be in my thoughts all day, best of luck.

mbmc - please can you link the FB page, the only one I can find was last updated in May

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back