UK - Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian's Wall 'felled overnight', Sept 2023 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Luwin

Reaction score

Police are investigating the deliberate felling of one of the UK's most iconic trees, which appears to have been cut down in an act of vandalism.
The landmark at Sycamore Gap, beside Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland, was apparently cut down overnight.
Northumberland National Park Authority officials believe the tree, known as Robin Hood's Tree, was "deliberately felled" and asked people to stay away.

I looked up its location on Google Maps earlier today. Someone has very swiftly renamed it Sycamore Stump. For some reason I found that in itself quite shocking, the quick renaming of such an iconic landmark. But maybe it's not connected.

It just feels indecently hasty, almost mocking. I wonder who gets permission to name places on Google maps.

Si King, the TV cook and Hairy Biker, posted a video online accusing the 'warped' culprit of 'murdering a sentinel of time and an elemental spirit of Northumberland'.

Jamie Driscoll, North of Tyne mayor, said the perpetrator must be brought to justice: 'People have had their ashes scattered there.

'People have proposed there. I've picnicked there with my wife and kids. It's part of our collective soul.'

I really really hope this wasn't a tik tok or other social media dare. And there's no way he did that alone. More arrests coming, hopefully soon. JMO. Also hope this doesn't lead to more senseless vandalism of iconic treasures.

Absolutely gutted! I live in the north east and have been lucky enough to visit - before some idiot cut it down.

I have no words but I do hope that if this 16 year old is involved, he is named and shamed once convicted. And that he feels shame for the rest of his life.

What a horrible thing to do.

Is it possible to take cuttings of the tree ?

I know it would be a long job til there was a tree propogated from it.
I was just wondering if it could be done.

Hopefully! Sycamore Gap: Hopes shoots could regrow from felled tree

There’s a lot of fundraising going on too, but nothing will replace that beautiful old tree. I’ve done the Hadrian’s Wall route twice now and it is one of the best bits!

Hopefully! Sycamore Gap: Hopes shoots could regrow from felled tree

There’s a lot of fundraising going on too, but nothing will replace that beautiful old tree. I’ve done the Hadrian’s Wall route twice now and it is one of the best bits!
From the article

Mark Feather, estate manager at the Woodland Trust, said it would "take a few years to develop into even a small tree and around 150 to 200 years before it is anywhere close to what we have lost".
"Once a tree of this age has gone, the sad truth is you can't replace them within any visible timeframe. It takes centuries," he said.

It's so sad :-(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon
Back