GUILTY UK - Terri Harris 35, Lacey Bennett 11, John Paul Bennett 13, Connie Gent 11, Killamarsh 18 Sep 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Derbyshire man charged with the murders of a mother and three children has appeared at the Old Bailey in London. Damien Bendall spoke only to confirm his name when he appeared over a link from HMP Wakefield for the 30-minute hearing at 9am today (Thursday, May 26).

During it, his barrister Vanessa Marshall QC confirmed that funding has been secured for the necessary medical tests to be carried out on her client ahead of his trial later this year.

[...]

Remanding Bendall into custody, the Honourable Mr Justice Nigel Sweeney said: "This is not going to disappear into the long grass.

"I am going to continue to want weekly updates, not War and Peace, as to where we are. If it looks like we are hitting big problems, I want to know about it sooner rather than later.

Derbyshire man accused of four murders and rape appears at the Old Bailey

Damien Bendall, 32, appeared in court via video-link from HMP Wakefield today, speaking only to confirm his name during the brief administrative hearing.

Counsel told the judge that they were ‘on track’ for trial in October.

Custody time limits were extended until October 11.

Mr Justice Sweeney remanded Bendall in custody ahead of his trial starting on 4 October at Derby Crown Court.

I’ve been thinking about this case. I very much hope it goes ahead in October with no further delays.

The defendant might be unwell, but the nature of this crime demands that justice be seen to be done in as timely a manner as possible.

Isn't this perp dying from some kind of head tumor???

The Crown Court
at Derby

Daily Courtroom List for Tuesday 04 October 2022
FINAL 2​

DERBY
Court 1 - sitting at 10:30 am
MR JUSTICE SWEENEY
SITTING AT 10:30 am
For Trial (No Witnesses)
T20217057BENDALL Damien30DI2000021SDBYMCPS
DEFT TO BE PRODUCED

www.courtserve.net

Live blog here

Counsel for the trial​

Representing the prosecution is Louis Malby KC and Peter Ratcliffe. Representing Bendall is Vanessa Marshall KC and Sandra Wesley.
The judge is The Honourable Mr Justice Nigel Sweeney.

Judge and Bendall now in court​

The judge is sitting.
Bendall is now in the dock. He is flanked by three dock officers and is wearing a long-sleeved grey sweatshirt.

Prosecution addressing judge​

Louis Malby KC is now addressing the judge. He says the trial is due to start and has been delayed and the original trial date adjourned prior to today.

Custody time limit​

Mr Malby says the custody time limit expires on October 11, and Bendall has not yet been arraigned.

Defence addressing the judge​

Vanessa Marshall KC is now addressing the judge.

10:44Sophie Corcoran

Legal discussions​

Legal discussions are ongoing that may lead to a possible adjournment.

11:39Sophie Corcoran

Legal discussions are continuing​

We will hopefully be able to update you shortly.

13:47Sophie Corcoran

Court been called on​

The judge is now sitting and Bendall is back in the dock.
Legal discussions will continue this afternoon.

Mr Justice Sweeney was told by Bendall's defence team how various tests forming an important part of the defendant's case, had still not been completed.

He told Vanessa Marshall KC, who represents Bendall: “The families of the deceased deserve to understand why we’re effectively no further forward.”

Arrangements for medical scans and other procedures had been held-up due to logistical and potential “aftercare” difficulties at Wakefield Prison – where Bendall remains on remand.

A hospital refused to carry out a scan required by the defence due to concerns about the safety of the procedure and another important procedure was further cancelled several times due to a senior hospital consultant being unavailable.

Bendall’s barrister Ms Marshall told the judge: “Everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong despite the Herculean efforts of my instructing solicitor.”

The adjournment application hearing continues at Derby Crown Court this afternoon.

15:22Sophie Corcoran

Trial adjourned until November​

The trial has been relisted to begin on November 24. It is expected to last three weeks.

Damien Bendall has today admitted causing the deaths of Terri Harris, John Bennett, Lacey Bennett and Connie Gent.​

The 32-year-old has pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to manslaughter.

He has also pleaded not guilty to raping 11-year-old Lacey Bennett

He has denied all four counts of murder.

Immediately after his pleas were taken a prosecutor told the court “the pleas of manslaughter are not acceptable to the crown – there may have to be a trial”.
The pleas came following legal arguments made over an application to adjourn Bendall’s trial for further medical tests on the defendant.

High Court judge Mr Justice Sweeney addressed family members in the public gallery, saying: “Can I apologise to those in the public gallery who attended today in hope of the trial starting.
"We have at least made some progress.”

Speaking today – over a year since the horrific incident – the judge added: “A particular interest of justice is the time since the alleged offences and the effect on others of the passage of time while they await the outcome.

"Something of which I am extremely conscious.
"I seek to manage the case even more closely than I have been doing so that we do not have periods of time when things grind to a halt.”

Commenting on the “history” of the case Mr Sweeney said: “Ms Marshall ( DBs barrister ) has used ‘unfortunate’ a number of times – it is at least that.”

Is he ? I had heard he may have a brain tumour but i haven't heard anything else. Do you have any more info ?
Sorry, that is what I read several months ago.
That he suffered from some kind of brain tumour and was sent for medical tests.
But I don't remember reading about the results - it was soooo long ago.

Sorry, that is what I read several months ago.
That he suffered from some kind of brain tumour and was sent for medical tests.
But I don't remember reading about the results - it was soooo long ago.
interesting, was he suffering from this when he committed these crimes I wonder? not saying it's an excuse just wondering if he know he was going to die so did this anyway...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GEC0704
Back