UK - US Diplomat's wife leaves UK after killing Harry Dunn, age 19, Northampton, Sept 2019 *suspended sentence*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You think that UK police should have demanded entrance to a US military base? Or that our forces should have caused a massive military incident by intercepting and forcing down a private flight from a US base that has special immunity? All of this rather than have the US government waive its position and the US citizen in question have the decency to deal with the consequences of killing a young man...

Blame the victim, much?

I didn't realize how dishonest these people were, and how complicit the government was in the coverup.

Her spouse must be very connected to get that treatment.

Harry Dunn's family to launch legal action against Foreign Office

His parents condemn police deciding to send officers to the US to interview the suspect, who claimed immunity and left the UK.

Harry Dunn's family to launch legal action against Foreign Office

I don’t know why officers are flying over to the States to interview the driver she is not coming back to the U.K ever again. I can’t see Harry’s family being successful suing the foreign office either it is very difficult to succeed legally against the government. However the injustice of this terrible tragedy is horrendous I don’t blame Harry’s family for taking the action they are taking.

'I didn't realise how much he meant to me' – Harry Dunn's twin

I feel so terrible for them.

I wonder if they will be better off focussing on their grief for their own wellbeing. They have every right to be angry but l don't know if this will help them in the long term

This is actually very interesting, as to who is eligible for "diplomatic immunity". I agree, that she probably did not have it. But was allowed it after the incident. This has further implications for US family members of officials serving abroad.

'I didn't realise how much he meant to me' – Harry Dunn's twin

I feel so terrible for them.

I wonder if they will be better off focussing on their grief for their own wellbeing. They have every right to be angry but l don't know if this will help them in the long term

Anger is part of the grieving process though and very natural and normal, especially this early into the grieving process. In time it will burn out and deeper emotions come more into focus - like Harry's twin seems to be experiencing already. jmo

This is a lot of legal action. I hope they've been well advised and this doesn't make their situation worse.

The family of a 19-year-old motorcyclist killed in a crash involving the wife of a US diplomat have announced they are planning to sue the Trump administration for lawless misconduct and a cover-up.

Harry Dunn’s family are also going ahead with previously announced plans to sue Anne Sacoolas for damages in a civil action.

[...]

“We are bringing claims against both Mrs Sacoolas in the US for civil damages as well as the Trump administration for their lawless misconduct and attempt to cover that up,” he said in a statement.

“No one is above the law and the family are determined to ensure that this never happens to another family again. It will be Harry’s memorial. His legacy.”

Seiger claimed the US government had tried to “twist and contort the laws on diplomatic immunity”.

He added: “The Trump administration is not only hellbent on breaking international laws, rules and conventions on diplomatic immunity, but they have no care or concern for the welfare of Harry’s family or any real intent on finding a solution.”

[...]

The lawyers are also planning to take action against Northamptonshire police and have launched a claim for judicial review over the Foreign Office decision-making process.

Harry Dunn's family to sue US government over Anne Sacoolas

This is a lot of legal action. I hope they've been well advised and this doesn't make their situation worse.

I’m not a big fan of lawsuits, but in this case I don’t think their situation could get any worse. They deserve to be heard. They have lost their son. The woman responsible has left the country after promising to stay. The State Department made that happen. Their own government withheld this information from them for ten days. The U.S. President cruelly attempted to manipulate their visit into a photo op for his own benefit. :mad: The phrase “Speak truth to power” seems applicable here.

If the lawsuit does nothing else but shine a bright light on this extremely unjust situation and help the parents feel they’ve stood up for Harry, that’s great. It needs to happen IMO. I imagine that there is some pro bono legal assistance, so I doubt this lawsuit will create a financial hardship. I don’t think they are in this for the money. It will, however, be emotionally draining and they seem to have decided that it’s worth it.
JMO

The family of a 19-year-old motorcyclist killed in a crash involving the wife of a US diplomat have announced they are planning to sue the Trump administration for lawless misconduct and a cover-up.

Harry Dunn’s family are also going ahead with previously announced plans to sue Anne Sacoolas for damages in a civil action.

[...]

“We are bringing claims against both Mrs Sacoolas in the US for civil damages as well as the Trump administration for their lawless misconduct and attempt to cover that up,” he said in a statement.

“No one is above the law and the family are determined to ensure that this never happens to another family again. It will be Harry’s memorial. His legacy.”

Seiger claimed the US government had tried to “twist and contort the laws on diplomatic immunity”.

He added: “The Trump administration is not only hellbent on breaking international laws, rules and conventions on diplomatic immunity, but they have no care or concern for the welfare of Harry’s family or any real intent on finding a solution.”

[...]

The lawyers are also planning to take action against Northamptonshire police and have launched a claim for judicial review over the Foreign Office decision-making process.

Harry Dunn's family to sue US government over Anne Sacoolas

I feel absolutely terrible for them. But the US government is responsible for insane amounts of deaths. I'm not sure how successful this is going to be. Don't get me wrong. The government does whatever the hell they want. I don't like it or justify it in any way. But it seems like it's likely to just bring them even more heartache and anguish.

But they are probably just stronger people than I am personally. I don't think I'd ever get this far lashing out like that because it would be way too much for me to deal with on top of losing a child. I know I wouldn't have it in me.

Family of Harry Dunn call for resignation of Northamptonshire Police chief over 'sad but predictable' tweet

The family of Harry Dunn is calling for Northamptonshire Police's Chief Constable to resign over an 'insensitive' tweet on the day they announced they would sue the lead suspect in their son's death.

The ongoing diplomatic crisis over the death of Harry Dunn in Northamptonshire reached a new level this week after the 19-year-old's family announced they would bring civil charges against both Anne Sacoolas and President Donald Trump.

Harry Dunn's parents say money won't bring son back amid claims Trump offered cheque to greiving

This article stated the president was all prepared to write a cheque.
Quite incredible really.

"That's how it was. On the day it just didn't register with me but the more I think about those words, the more shocking it is.

"In not so many words, he turned to Robert O'Brien and he said something like 'the Treasury are all lined up to get the cheque ready aren't they Robert?' - or words to that effect."

Last edited:
She fled Great Britain after an automobile accident that killed a British man. She needs to be returned to Great Britain. There is precedence for this. In 1997, Gueorgui Makharadze was an actual Georgian diplomat in Washington, D.C., who killed a young woman in an automobile accident in the U.S. He fled claiming immunity. He was returned to the United States by the government of Georgia to stand trial in the U.S. We cannot hide her and expect to be credible to the government or to the people of Great Britain.

This is from the Guardian article I posted above. I do hope this is what will happen. Death by dangerous driving is probably the least that she could be charged with IMO. So we will have to see what the CPS do next.

"They have now submitted evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which is expected soon to make a decision about charging the suspect.

One charge under consideration is death by dangerous driving and Dunn’s family want Sacoolas to face justice.

The discussions about extradition so far have been informal, a source said, and exploratory.

Lawyers who handle extradition at the CPS are understood to be aware of the case. But formal proceedings can only start once the CPS, who is the prosecution service in England and Wales, decides to bring a criminal charge which is punishable in both Britain and the US by a sentence of more than 12 months imprisonment."

Keeping this going for Harry

Dominic Raab urges Anne Sacoolas to 'do the right thing'

Raab met Dunn’s family at the Foreign Office on Tuesday. The family are waiting to see if the CPS will bring some form of dangerous driving charge against Sacoolas. The Dunn family say they cannot start the grieving process until she has faced justice.

Relations between the family and Raab have been deteriorating over recent months as Dunn’s lawyers applied for judicial review over the Foreign Office’s decision-making process. The family are also seeking to start a legal action in the US against Sacoolas

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back