GUILTY UK - William, 85, & Patricia Wycherley, 63, murdered, Mansfield, May 1998

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the Mansfield Chad, latest article I could find - from today three hours or so ago:

Forest Town: Wycherleys still registered to vote five years after ‘murder’
A ‘reclusive’ Forest Town couple who police believe were murdered and buried in their own back garden were still registered to vote at their Mansfield home at least five years after they went ‘missing’.

William and Patricia Wycherley were the registered occupants at 2 Blenheim Close as late as 2003, despite not being seen by neighbours since the late 1990s.

Residents of the cul-de-sac told Chad that the pair mysteriously vanished in 1998 and the property sat empty until 2005, apart from the regular appearance of ‘a young couple who came and kept the garden tidy’.

It is the latest twist following the macabre discovery, after police descended on the address following a tip-off and removed the skeletal remains of two people on Thursday, 10th October.
---
much more at link, good case synopsis

Thanks wfgodot! You truly are the master of MSM.

‘a young couple who came and kept the garden tidy’

I wonder how young? If you catch my drift. Note, 'couple'...

And why still on the electoral roll? Someone was obviously keeping their affairs seriously in check.

'The second set of remains also showed signs of a spinal condition which Patricia Wycherley shared.'

It's a shame this is all they have to go on to identify the bodies. :(

By the sounds of it, they were a reclusive pair even when they were alive. Perhaps it wasn't out of the ordinary that friends and family didn't see them for years on end. They certainly don't seem to have had any real relations with their neighbours. But like I've said before, whoever has done this knew all this very well. They have to have done. If the circumstances had been any different, there's no way in hell that this could have gone on like this for so long.

I'm really intrigued by this case, but also deeply saddened at the lengths some will go to for (by the sounds of it) a quick buck.

Someone who is 55 today would have been 40 in 1998. Is that 'young'?

;)

And why still on the electoral roll? Someone was obviously keeping their affairs seriously in check.

It wouldn't be that hard to keep the name on the electoral register, imo. Someone would only have to send the form back each year, and I don't think they do much in the way of checking. If you forget to send it back at all, they just keep you on the register, and only call if you've not sent the form back for at least two years in succession, at least where I live. Less effort than the Christmas cards.

Is it known if anyone was collecting their pensions or benefits or anything similar?

Is it known if anyone was collecting their pensions or benefits or anything similar?

As far as I know that hasn't been mentioned yet in the media. My assumption is whoever is responsible probably was, though, given the other circumstances! JMO

Thank you. I'm wondering why anyone would keep up the pretense that they are still alive (other than covering up murder, of course) and all I can come up with is financial gain (other than money from the house). My brain is mush.

Thank you. I'm wondering why anyone would keep up the pretense that they are still alive (other than covering up murder, of course) and all I can come up with is financial gain (other than money from the house). My brain is mush.

Completely agreed. In my mind, it's purely financial. I can't see another motive besides money at this point. JMO

I wonder where their mail was being sent. P.o. Box? Otherwise someone would have to be regularly picking up the mail so as not to arouse suspicion. Which would arouse suspicion in itself-someone coming daily or so to pick up mail. I didn't get the sense that the couple coming to "tidy the garden" came that often.

Neighbors will surely be able to pick this couple out of a photo array.

The young couple who kept the yard tidy could have just been someone paid to keep the yard nice and keep up appearances.

The young couple who kept the yard tidy could have just been someone paid to keep the yard nice and keep up appearances.

But paid by whom? (I agree with you, btw)

I wonder where their mail was being sent. P.o. Box? Otherwise someone would have to be regularly picking up the mail so as not to arouse suspicion. Which would arouse suspicion in itself-someone coming daily or so to pick up mail. I didn't get the sense that the couple coming to "tidy the garden" came that often.

Neighbors will surely be able to pick this couple out of a photo array.

I think PO boxes are very uncommon here, so I doubt it. I live in an apartment that's had many previous tenants and we get so much mail addressed to different people. I return it to Royal Mail, but I've never suspected any of the addressees might be buried on the property! The Wycherleys being elderly, too, the tenants of the property may have just assumed the mail was sent in error by a person/company that didn't know they had passed on, and disposed of or redirected the mail. By the sounds of it a lot of people thought the Wycherley's had emigrated so perhaps mail wouldn't have aroused that much suspicion.

If it wasn't a killing for financial gain, only other motive I can think of is mercy killing. News reports haven't mentioned what the spinal condition was that Patricia Wycherley had. William Wycherley would have been 85, could have had any sort of ailments.

There seems to be one or two persons of interest here. The people who supplied the falsified signatures to the sale of the house or was it one person doing both signatures. Depending on whether it was signed in front of the estate agent or whether the paperwork was just presented to the estate agent already signed.the third person is the mysterious witness to the signatures who was in a bad financial state at the time and was possibly paid for witnessing the signatures. The Christmas cards have stopped. Has the instigator of this crime died, fallen out with one of them, hence the tip to the police.

<modsnip>

The mysterious witness to signatures. Maybe he was just doing a friend a favour by witnessing the signatures even though was illegal.
Wonder if he realised he was getting mixed up in a murder.

No news since Oct 18th. I hope there is a positive outcome to this. (if there can be such thing in such a case)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back