Unsolved 18 From The First Zodiac Code And Possible Kaczynski/Zodiac Connection

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good to see you on here AK.

Kaczynski is No.1 suspect for me when it comes to the Zodiac case. I'm so sick of it when people who have not looked into the possibility immediately say: it's impossible! He wasn't there!

...Oh? Is that so? *eyes roll out of my head*

I think Kaczynski is certainly guilty of far more than that of which he was convicted.

The Zodiac case? Possible, along with Percy/Bricca/Sims 1966, the Tylenol poisonings and much more.

Edited and with new discoveries. Look at more of the shared words, phrases and styles of Ted K and Zodiac, most found by the excellent research of Doug Oswell, some others by myself, Jem, Linda, Kite.

Z = In that epasode the police were wondering as to how I could shoot & hit my victims in the dark. August, 1969 Letter.
K = Well, never mind that stupid episode anyway. GX18-20104, p.22.

Z = The one thing I ask of you is this, please help me. Belli Letter, 1969.
K = But the point is this: If there is such a solution, no one at present seems to know just what it is. 1971 Essay.

Z = It is more fun than killing wild game in the forrest because man is the most dangerou anamal of all. To kill something gives me the most thrilling experience. Three-Part Cipher, 1969.
K = I drove up to Humboldt county for deer hunting.... deer hunting is very exciting. Turchie Affidavit, Addendum, 1996.
He knew how to protect himself from heat, cold, rain, dangerous animals, etc. Unabomber, Manifesto, 1995.

Z = The S.F. Police could have caught me last night if they had searched the park properly instead of holding road races with their motor cicles seeing who could make the most noise. The car drivers should have just parked their cars & sat there quietly waiting for me to come out of cover. Stine Letter, 1969.
K = For example, a variety of noise-making devices: power mowers, radios, motorcycles, etc. If the use of these devices is unrestricted, people who want peace and quiet are frustrated by the noise. Manifesto, 1995.
When I see a motorcyclist tearing up the mountain meadows ... I want to kick him in the face while he is dying. GX-2003F, p. 11.
Analysis: Both Zodiac and Kaczynski are annoyed by and comment on motorcycles making a loud noise.

Z = I shall (on top of every thing else) torture all 13 of my slaves that I have wateing for me in Paradice. Some I shall tie over ant hills and watch them scream & twich and squirm. Others shall have pine splinters driven under their nails & then burned. Others shall be placed in cages & fed salt beef untill they are gorged then I shall listen to their pleass for water and I shall laugh at them. Others will hang by their thumbs & burn in the sun then I will rub them down deep heat to warm them up. Others I shall skin them alive & let them run around screaming. The Mikado Letter, 1970.
K = I hadn't previously been troubled by rats around here, but I just discovered that my pack has been chewed up so badly that it is nearly ruined ... This means some deadfalls are going to be set. I hope I catch one of those [expletive] alive--I will torture it to death in the most fiendish manner I can devise. Journal entry, July 31, 1974.

From Doug Oswell http://www.unazod.com:
zodiac11.jpg

Z = 2 cops pulled a goof.Seven-Page letter, 1969.
K = The FBI is a joke.New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = As of yet I have left no fingerprints behind me contrary to what the police say. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.
K = Contrary to what the FBI has suggested, our bombing at the California Forestry Association was in no way inspired by the Oklahoma City bombing. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = The Map COUPLED WITH THIS code will tell you where the bomb is set. Map Bomb Letter 1970
K = and COUPLED WITH THIS the trait of hypersensitivity. FC to Earth First letter

Z = police better get off their fat asses if they want to catch me. Zodiac, LA Times letter, 1971.
K = She had a fat *advertiser censored*. Ellen poem.

Z = do something "nasty". Zodiac Exorcist letter, 1974.
K = this "nasty" affair. Ellen letter.

Z = Suggests body can be found AROUND IN THE SNOW. Pines Card 1971.
K = Suggests after shooting a rabbit its body can be found "AROUND IN THE SNOW." Technological Slavery, on page 400.

Z = Police should have "sat there quietly waiting for me to come out of cover." Zodiac Stine Letter, October 13, 1969, to SF Chronicle.
K = "I went down there and watched, from cover, a guy with a bulldozer...". Unabomber: The Secret Life of Ted Kaczynski, by Chris Waits and Dave Shors, p. 278.
Analysis: Both Zodiac and Kaczynski descibe hiding from and watching enemies behind forestry as from "cover", a military term.

Z = "was a negro about 40 -45 rather shabbly dressed." Zodiac Letter of August 4, 1969, to SF Examiner.
K = "their homes looked shabby". Technological Slavery, p. 397.

Z = BE SURE TO PRINT the part I marked out on page 3 or I shall do my thing.
K = BE SURE TO tell us where and how our material will be published and how long it will take to appear in PRINT once we have sent in the manuscript.

Z = 'I am mildly cerous as to how much money you have on my head now?' and 'What is the price tag now?'.
K = '25,000 dollar reward offered. Rather flattering.'
Analysis: Both commented on their bounties in a boastful way.

Z = DANGEROUE. 408 Code
K = YESTERDAE. Unabomber Code
Analysis: Both Zodiac and Kaczynski have a code in which in order to increase difficulty of solution they change the last consonant (S, Y) in a word to the vowel "E".

You just need a mirror and the key:

attachment.php

Bottom line: I AM ED EDWARDS

Attachments

• Chronicle_Cipher_July_1969_.jpg
    Chronicle_Cipher_July_1969_.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 123
It is possible that the last 18 letters are simply "fill" used to make the message a particular length. For instance, if one wanted to break a message into three parts, extra letters might be added.

This is a standard practice in cryptography. The added letters are always included at the end of the message rather than at the beginning so that time is not wasted by the person decoding the message.

Sometimes letters are added to make a transmission always the same length so that an enemy cannot judge the content or intent by the length of the message.

i have never head about this theory before and i'm really impressed by the work done here. i'm pretty much convinced we've got the right man and i'm wondering why LE is dismissing this based on halfbaked excuses like "muh, illinois" when there is credible evidence that TK left his home for several weeks without telling anyone about his whereabouts. also, from the cryptographical evidence to the scetches, the linguistics ... i'm convinced.

i have never head about this theory before and i'm really impressed by the work done here. i'm pretty much convinced we've got the right man and i'm wondering why LE is dismissing this based on halfbaked excuses like "muh, illinois" when there is credible evidence that TK left his home for several weeks without telling anyone about his whereabouts. also, from the cryptographical evidence to the scetches, the linguistics ... i'm convinced.
Because law enforcement DID take it seriously. They investigated TK and ruled him out as a suspect for the Zodiac murders. He had an alibi.

The only connection I see is that TK was a Zodiac fanboy.

It is possible that the last 18 letters are simply "fill" used to make the message a particular length. For instance, if one wanted to break a message into three parts, extra letters might be added.

This is a standard practice in cryptography. The added letters are always included at the end of the message rather than at the beginning so that time is not wasted by the person decoding the message.

Sometimes letters are added to make a transmission always the same length so that an enemy cannot judge the content or intent by the length of the message.

Would not the null fill characters be repeated frequently? Might explain why they think the second half of the Z340 is garbage. It might contain a higher content of null characters that they may be mistaking for "a" and/or "e".

I just haven't read enough to know if the codes involved here are suitable, but thought I'd let you know someone has put the WW2 code cracking enigma machine online. It's beyond me to explain how it works though.

http://startpad.googlecode.com/hg/labs/js/enigma/enigma-sim.html

I have an entire book on the Enigma and have met with the author on two occasions. Using an Enigma code would assume Zodiac had or had access to an Enigma of a particular type as the German Army, Air Force and Navy used different Enigma wheels and/or variations of the machines. Also possible that it could be the civilian model for businesses that were produced before the war.

SOrry if anyone has asked already, but I think LE has the zodiacs DNA profile. Has Kaczynski’s DNA been taken?

SOrry if anyone has asked already, but I think LE has the zodiacs DNA profile. Has Kaczynski’s DNA been taken?
Don't know.

But I know the FBI ruled Kaczynski out through fingerprints and handwriting. And Kaczynski flat-out called Doug Oswell a "kook" in a letter written in response to the accusation he was the Zodiac Killer.

Ted Kaczynski, in my opinion, was inspired by the Zodiac Killer. Nothing more. He took elements from him - the letters. But beyond that, there's nothing. He wasn't even in California on the nights of the attacks. The FBI verified he was out of the state.

Ted Kaczynski being the Zodiac Killer is ludicrous. He's solidly ruled out.

This is one of the stupidest conjectures I've heard. Kaczynski is an ideological terrorist. His ideology is anti-civilization and anti-technology and pro-wilderness and pro-hunter-gatherer. In this respect he's no different from John Zerzan or Kirkpatrick Sale or any number of philosophers who have been critical of technology. His targets all involved people or systems who were promoting technological growth. They were not random, and they were not "innocent" according to his (and others') ideology. Why on earth would he kill random people not involved in technological progress which would blur his ideological message and dilute the whole purpose of his terrorism??? This would be like considering Che Guevara as a suspect in the serial-killings of random people in Cuba.

I had always dismissed all this Theodore Kaczynski stuff as nonsense. I had, back in 2012, posted here a thread called "An Attempted Profile" where I tried to narrow down a suspect based strictly on the evidence. My guess was that Zodiac would have been a Taurus born in April or May of 1943. On a whim, I checked Kaczynski's birth and it was May 22, 1942. It's a bit off by a full year and that May 22 is Gemini but it just misses being Taurus by 2 days (Taurus ends May 20). I'm going to have to look into this more.

Some very interesting theories and studies. A lot of work and thought went into the comparisons between Unibomber and Zodiac - as well as other potentilly linked cases across the country.

Clearly Kaczynski is an evil genius who eluded the FBI for over 18 years and he is much more complicated than he might appear on the surface.

Returning to the original title and subject of this thread: the Unsolved 18 characters from the first Zodiac code -

It should be noted that there were three separate letters sent to three newspapers and that each had an equal number of rows, columns and characters. The message was only complete with all three of the pieces put together in order.

The 18 "unsolved" characters appear at the very end of the last letter. These could very well simply be what is known as "filler" or "padding" - that is characters added at the end (and sometimes at the beginning) to make a message be a specific length. This is done as a regular practice by military communications personnel when sending encrypted messages. Sometimes they are just random characters, but sometimes they are encrypted meaningless phrases, NOT part of the message.

This could have been an attempt by Zodiac to make all three letters an equal length and pattern.

A famous historical example of "padding" was a message sent from Admiral Chester Nimitz to Admiral William Halsey in October 1944: "...Where is, repeat, where is Task Force Thirty Four? The world wonders."

The phrase, "The world wonders", was meant to be only meaningless filler, but mistakenly got left in the decoded message and passed to Halsey.

Halsey, who was then in pursuit of a Japanese Carrier group took the phrase "the world wonders" as a severe rebuke and became extremely angry and broke off his pursuit.

It is possible that the final 18 characters were only padding/filler. But given Zodiac's love of puzzles and his sense of superiority and desire to antagonize investigators, he might have actually shifted from his fairly simple code to a much more complex one in his first communications.

After cracking the Z340, I found it optimal to search for a comparable reasoning behind the use of the 18 letters of the Z408. I wanted to be able to show a consistent use of all the oddities and parts of the ciphers for one continual solve throughout, as if they were a compounding puzzle and that each one worked to solve the other.

So I took the repetition and rhythm of the 18 letters as s form of Shakespearean/Baconian encoding of a phrase that was sounded out. He was known to have used this type of shorthand and his rhythmic patterning of his words when he was found to have encoded ciphers in the works of Shakespear's plays, that were released after he was dead.

One book held a star map that was embedded in the word matrix. Petter Amundsen was instrumental in proving this very theory existed when he uncovered a star map using Bootes and the Cross in the path of a trail of clues to a place called Oak Island, home of the fabled "Money Pit". In the Z340 I had discovered a Star Map embedded in the use of dots in the puzzle, which formed those very astrological symbols of constellations Bootes, and I assumed that HER was short for HERCULES, being in that Quadrant according to the layout in the Z340, which was broken into these 4 sections by marks in the center of the text.

Looking at the Z408's 18 letter meaning, it appeared to actually describe instructions to look for these very clues in Shakespearean form.

It appeared to read: BEFORE I ATTEMPT THE PIT READ THE TEMPEST

An 18 letter hint that shows both there is a layer of a Star Map in the cipher, and that the number 18 is significant.

The Z340 is then separated into two blocks, with one consisting of letters only, and the other being the numbers/symbols. These two blocks are then laid out in rows of 18 characters in length, making two equal bodies of ciphertext, and leaving one letter out at the end in each as well.

The 18 Letters were used as a key to the next cipher. Later on he repeated this similar type of phrase with another Key in the Z13 .... identified by it's tone as compared to the previous one.

BEFORE I ATTEMPT THE PIT READ THE TEMPEST
BY THE WAY HAVE YOU SOLVED THE LAST CIPHER I SENT YOU ..... My name is ______ .

These are the keys and they hold a symbolic representation of the movement of letters, and the revealing of maps in these formats. The entire cipher of the Z340 was partly broken due to the use of these hints and guides. The post is here on WebSleuths under the Zodiac Killer forum label with graphics explaining how the Z340 and Z13 were solved. The FB pages are here as well for reference with videos and links.
Zodiac Ciphers Solved
Take a look for yourself, it all is fitting one trend and even later ties to the CIAs puzzle at Langley, which mimics the ciphers of the Zodiac and even maps the locations of the suspects out using similar techniques using the blueprint and landscapes of the building. They also use parts of the same Shakespearean puzzle incorporated into the cipher to accentuate the form of masking the true meaning. Kryptos and the Zodiac are from the same Agency and their operatives.
Cracked Kryptos

Whether or not Ted Kaczynski was in any way involved in the many attacks and murders discussed in these threads is conjecture. Certainly food for thought.

One case that really bothers me is that of Sharon Bubes. The only information I can find anywhere about her is that she was murdered in her bedroom in Evanston, Illinois on 30 June 1966 by an intruder using a blunt instrument (sometimes described as a claw hammer).

No photo of her or any other information is available, yet posters continually repeat her name as a possible Zodiac victim - or use her case as a possible link to other murders in other threads.

I have started a Websleuths Cold Case thread for her in the hope that others who have more information on the case might post it.

LINK:
IL - Sharon Bubes, Evanston, murdered 30 June 1966, Evanston, IL

We have some clues which could tie several different killing sprees and explain them. If the police would only use DNA to narrow down the suspect. He may have been aware that DNA would be a tool in the future to identify elusive criminals but anyhow the evidence to me is clear that the Unabomber could be implicated in many more crimes.

When it comes to the Robinson murders, it caught my attention that the letters in the name "Roebert" could be rearranged so as to sound almost like Theodore.
"This is the Zodiac speaking" would also sound almost like "this is Ted Kazinski", if one were to rearrange the letters.

The men killed had ties to the industrial system Kaczynski hated. He was also deeply sexually frustrated and the killings of families, couples and young college girls would also be expected if he were to kill, as he wrote in 1966 he would. Sexual frustration and inability to interact with the opposite sex would be the core reason for his anger and frustrations IMO.

Another important aspect is how the geographical areas involved, California, Illinois and Michigan are tied to the the life of Theodore Kaczynski.

The Golden State Killer was identified via DNA testing, on Gedmatch. By doing so, the police uncovered several other "careers" of James DeAngelo. It is only now in 2020 I have realized "the Unabomber" may have been just one of the criminal "careers" of Theodore Kaczynski. He would be very keen in keeping the rest of them secret so as to preserve the image he somehow managed to create as someone interested in the environment and the betterment of mankind.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back