UPDATE- Bin Laden is Dead-President spoke

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard for a long time that it was known that he was in Pakistan, the authorities even confirmed there was intelligence about it. And it was felt that the Pakistan government might even be covering for him.

I believe there has been diplomatic pressure on Packistan to divulge where he was. Maybe it worked.

More info about the area where he was.

This city has a population of 1 million (not a small place at all)

There were Pakistanni intelligence operatives involved in the operation.

But this mansion - about $1 mil USD - someone(s) were helping him; aiding and abetting him. I do think that Pakistan is somewhat divided just from those facts above. Wonder who actually owned the property (land) that this mansion was on? If Bin Laden owned it - then who sold it to him? No, there was definitely a faction in Pakistan that knew he was there - hiding in plain sight.
I thought I heard CNN say that he had it built in 2005. No link so IMO He was filthy rich so je had the money but it had to be laundered somehow....so he did have lots of help

I wonder if the reward will be given out? I haven't heard it mentioned.

Many believe that we've been at war for 10 years. They feel it is this generation's V-Day. Maybe they are right. They can hope.

I believe in hope, V day liberated the world not just America.

I wish that we could handle this with dignity instead of celebration.

I have no problem with him being buried according to the Muslim traditions. He is dead.

The US exacted Justice on this Earth against an evil man. Now let his God Allah exact Osama's Justice on his eternal Life. I have faith that Allah is not the Murderous God that Bin Laden professed him to be. This man was a radical nut. Go ahead lay him in a grave on his side without a coffin let him face Mecca. Bin Laden tried to rewrite the word of the Koran which is not translated as espoused by this evil animal. I have faith that in death he will pay for the evils of his life. So why not let him try to say he did this for Allah. His maker is someone Bin Laden is not prepared to meet, and I'm sure will take care of the details which are out of our hands now.

I agree that the death of this evil man is justice. I just think it should be a solemn and classy moment for our country.

Not one of flag waving nationalism and celebration

unless

we want to alienate the watching world and cause the death of more Americans on a global scale.

Here is a chance to show true leadership to the world and we are missing it once again.
Bin Laden declared this war. Rejoicing in his death - I believe - is a release, closure, pride in our military. Pride in our country - a country that is free and will defend our citizens right to be free to the death.

The celebrations - display of emotions of our people in the streets will show our leadership to the world that we will NOT tolerate terrorism. We will NOT bow to the crazy ramblings and deadly attacks of one despot who had nothing but hate in his heart.

Besides, I think there are other places in the world celebrating this as well. Let this be a sign to all those who hate - evil will not be tolerated in this world. We will defend our right to live in peace.

That's where my DD is texting me from.

My DD is texting me from the celebration at ground zero. She was in 4th grade when I had to pick her up from school b/c the school was on red alert and on lockdown. Her teacher, a NYC native, was gently crying in their classroom for hours and the kids did not know why. She'd received a call about a personal loss - in the towers. But she couldn't leave the children b/c they were on lockdown.

mama mama what happened to my teacher today, my 4th grader asked me.

I didn't know what to say. So I took a deep breath and I let her watch the news with her big sister while I held their hands and translated.

Amazing she is there tonight. A college freshman.

WOW Emma!

I forget that for some of our kids, this war on terror is all they know.

My son called me as he just got off work. He was 11 when 9/11 happened. After he realized my text wasn't a joke, he was overjoyed.

May this be the first step to creating a safer country for our kids.

I have never wished death on any man or woman. And if faced with bin laden I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to kill him myself. But do not ask me, please do not ask me not to be relieved that the man who not only planned, trained and carried out the deaths of thousands of people on 9/11. US citizens as well as others, even muslims. They weren't soldiers, knowing their lives were on the line. They were private citizens going about their day. They fell or jumped from the building. They burned, they were crushed, they died without oxyzen. And some just disappeared.

And after it was done, before the dust even settled, he wasn't sitting at home saying oh what did I do. No he made sure someone called and took credit!

He not only arranged the deaths of US citizens, he arranged the deaths of his own countries citizens. Our soldiers took more care to cause as little damage to the citizens than he did.

I cried for three days in the horror and grief. And I have shuddered every time I see on TV about another soldier coming home in a box. And those left maimed. So please do not ask me not to rejoice in the relief I now feel in the death of bin laden. He is dead. It isn't over, but it will be a giant setback. Maybe one that could even end this war.

I'd kill him in a heartbeat, because it's defending the country. (Plus $25 million, LOL!) But it does help make us safer without him leading Al Qaeda, even if it's possibly more dangerous short term.

I agree that the death of this evil man is justice. I just think it should be a solemn and classy moment for our country.

Not one of flag waving nationalism and celebration

unless

we want to alienate the watching world and cause the death of more Americans on a global scale.

Here is a chance to show true leadership to the world and we are missing it once again.
I've never been a flag-waver, and I'm not about to start now, but you can't blame those who feel joy at this terrorist's death! This guy was the definition of evil-and he was a coward who hid behind a woman.
I heard a catchy potential headline tonight: Obama got Osama. This act has actually improved my respect for Obama, which was very low, considering I am a Democrat who voted for McCain because of Obama's Muslim ties...

Remember they celebrated when those buildings fell. There was dancing in the streets.

Yes, and that was painful to watch. We need to realize we are in that same position now. Our celebrating can be perceived as "painful to watch"

It's our way of hopefully ending the killing.

You never end killing with more killing. Basic101

What I've been able to sleuth out so far....they did begin watching this building in August last year....then at some point two French nationals traveled to Abbottabad to meet with a known Al-Qaeda operative, Uman Patek who had once been reported killed but was apparently very much alive. Patek was then arrested in January and while it appears it was reported here (see AOL news link from January), it was not reported in Pakistan until a few weeks ago. Many countries had warrants out for him, Pakistan offered Indonesia first right to him, they passed and said let U.S. have him. My guess is that his interrogation may have confirmed OBL presence at compound?

Links: http://www.aolnews.com/tag/pakistan/photo/ see photo and caption "End of The Road"

http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=41895&Cat=2&dt=4/16/2011

I have to give the President a hand. He took a big chance signing this order. If it had failed he had a lot to lose. It could have turned out bad like when they went in to retrieve the hostages and it turned into a disaster. Also congratulations to the guys who risks their lives going into another country and retrieving the body. A perfect shot. Thanks guys you are the greatest. :fireworks2:

Besides, I think there are other places in the world celebrating this as well. Let this be a sign to all those who hate - evil will not be tolerated in this world. We will defend our right to live in peace.

Bin Laden also ordered the massive attacks in the UK and Spain, so he was not just a threat to America. You're right, there are others countries just as happy as we are about this.

And people are proud of the fact it was our military that went in there and took him out in close quarters combat, literally almost face-to-face.

Upon the completion of this mission I am reminded of these words:

"We have awakened a sleeping giant and have instilled in him a terrible resolve".

(Admiral Yamamoto after the attack on Pearl Harbor).

Then I was touched deeply by this speech that I read that was given by a CPT. (good read for background on when the war against the US started even though we didn't respond with war until 10 yrs ago).

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/wakeup.asp

(quickest link I could find sorry)

I appreciate and value every american's opinion. If it makes another american sad to see the joyous outburst of relief that was impromtu by so many young Americans whom this war started for them when they were in grade school or younger then I do understand and have no argument. We are each entitled to our feelings and thoughts.

I do disagree that this makes us the same as Bin Laden. We were defending ourselves. After 9/11 there were many radical islamic clerics who vowed that they would not rest until every american was dead and that was the mantra they taught to their followers.

We did not respond by proclaiming war and deliberately waging that war against non combatants. We did create civilian casualties and I know of no one in the military community that took any joy in learning of those deaths. We instead are restricted by rules of engagement and the geneva conventions. Yes there are some soldiers in the past that have disregarded those and has paid the price with prison terms and expulsion from the armed services-dishonorable.

We will treat his body with respect. We will give him the dignity of being treated by his muslim customs.

Why? Because we are not him. We won't desecrate his body and drag his body through the streets as his followers have done to US servicepersons and if they had a chance I would not doubt for a minute they would do the same to each of us...man woman and child if given the chance.

Instead he will be treated with dignity. Why? Simply because we are Americans. That is how we roll. We didn't start this war. But we will see it through and we will end it. On our terms. Just my thoughts.

CBS News
On May 1, 2011 the U.S. announced the death of Osama Bin Laden. On May 1, 1945 Germany announced the death of Adolf Hitler.

Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead...

It is very sad to me to watch the celebration going on right now.

I hoped we were a people who could have risen above this.

Yes he was responsible for great death and pain.

How does celebrating his death elevate those people he killed?

Killing, killing and more killing.

All of this makes us more like him rather than less.

I watch this and while I understand the emotion (governments should not run on emotion, BTW)

I am saddened that at the end of the day all of our cheering over the death of an individual reduces us.

Right now is a chance to think globally instead of "locally" and we are turning it down.

It is a chance to show class and we are totally missing it once again.

The world is turning us off and tuning in to other channels.

So sad for America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFY9h8DImg

I disagree completely.

Show some class? I've got some friends in low places, Two Thousand Nine Hundred and Sixty Six of them to be exact who were buried DEEP in early graves by the acts of this particular coward.

That those souls can finally Rest In Peace for eternity is ample reason for celebration in respect of their memory

Think globally instead of locally? 9/11/2001 was as local as it gets for all Americans. Damn how it appears to the rest of the world, they weren't local then or now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCavKL2zdjM

I believe in hope, V day liberated the world not just America.

I wish that we could handle this with dignity instead of celebration.

We did. OBL had an opportunity to fight for his life. Celebration good over evil is dignified.

Yes, and that was painful to watch. We need to realize we are in that same position now. Our celebrating can be perceived as "painful to watch"

You never end killing with more killing. Basic101

I disagree Osama Bin Laden will never kill another person.

WOW Emma!

I forget that for some of our kids, this war on terror is all they know.

My son called me as he just got off work. He was 11 when 9/11 happened. After he realized my text wasn't a joke, he was overjoyed.

May this be the first step to creating a safer country for our kids.

Kimster,

This is so huge for our kids. IMO, they were terrorized as children. We were grown-ups. We got it. We knew our country would protect us and that 9/11 and the WTC would not happen again tomorrow. They did not understand that.

They are grown up now. The wicked man of their childhood is dead. We should probably all talk to them about their childhood of anxiety that tomorrow could bring be 9/11 again.

War on our soil. We never knew that - our parents and grandparents never knew that. Our children did.

:grouphug: for our kids. Can't everyone see how thrilled they are on TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter2_1