US - Shots fired at Donald Trump rally in Pennsylvania as former president is seen with blood across his face, 13 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Law enforcement recovered an AR-style rifle at the scene of the Trump rally shooting, AP source says

BY ALANNA DURKIN RICHER

Law enforcement recovered an AR-style rifle at the scene, according to a person familiar with the matter. The person was not authorized to discuss details of the investigation.

While we wait for information on the shooter, this is a fantastic read about a Secret Service study into assassins.

-The results, recently made available, challenge several stereotypes. Fewer than half of the assassins showed symptoms of mental illness. Many shifted from one target to another, valuing the act more than the victim. Not one had communicated a direct threat to the target or to law-enforcement authorities.
The good news, the Secret Service says, is that assassins are recognizable, not by who they are, but by what they do. Though assassins fit no physical or psychological profile, most share a pattern of behavior. Assassination is not a spontaneous event, but a trail of action that can lead to discovery.

''It is far more productive, and ultimately more accurate,'' the Secret Service concluded, ''to examine a chain of thinking that leads a person to see assassination as an acceptable or necessary action, and to attend to behaviors that may precede an attack, than to simply label assassins and assassination as 'irrational' or 'crazy.' ''

-What does seem clear is that, for almost all subjects, attacks or near-lethal approaches occurred after a period of downward spiral in their lives,'' the Secret Service found.

The most frequent motive that assassins gave for attacking a public figure was to achieve notoriety or fame. Only a few wanted political change or acted in a group. Other assassins wanted to avenge a perceived wrong, to end their pain by being imprisoned or hospitalized or killed, to save the country or the world, to achieve a special relationship with the target, or, rarely, to obey voices ordering them to attack.

Assassins seeking fame usually chose a prominent victim. Feelings about the target were irrelevant.

''I would have voted for him if I hadn't been in jail charged with trying to kill him,'' one unidentified attacker told the researchers.
One-third of the assassins considered more than one target.
Oswald, for example, fired a shot at a retired general less than a year before killing President Kennedy in 1963. And Mr. Hinckley stalked President Carter and the actress Jodie Foster before shooting President Reagan in 1981.
This is fascinating, thank you.

Trump post:

He's always very appreciative of LE but I hope he becomes fully aware of the fact anyone just outside of the venue is, apparently, free to climb up high and shoot. I'm really floored by this and thought the SS secured all high points. I was wrong.

now

FBI takes over investigation of shooting at Trump campaign rally

The FBI is now leading the investigation into the shooting at Donald Trump’s rally in Butler, Pennsylvania.

From a statement released by the bureau:

The FBI has assumed the role of the lead federal law enforcement agency in the investigation of the incident involving former President Donald Trump that occurred earlier today in Butler, Pennsylvania.

Special agents of the FBI Pittsburgh Field Office responded immediately, to include crisis response team members and evidence response technicians.

We will continue to support this investigation with the full resources of the FBI, alongside our partners at the U.S. Secret Service and state and local law enforcement. Anyone with information that may assist with the investigation is asked to call our tip line at 1-800-CALL-FBI.

Biden to return to White House tonight

Christal Hayes
US reporter

President Joe Biden is returning to the White House tonight after the shooting at Donald Trump's rally.
Biden was scheduled to be in Delaware for the weekend but changed his plans to return to the White House tonight.
He's scheduled to leave Delaware around 10:30 pm EDT (03:30 BST) and arrive in Washington DC shortly after midnight.

3 min ago

Biden returning to White House earlier than planned

From CNN's Nikki Carvajal

President Joe Biden will return to the White House from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, earlier than planned, according to a statement from White House officials.

Biden is scheduled to arrive at the White House at 12:30 a.m. Sunday, the statement said.

He was originally scheduled to stay in Delaware until Monday and fly directly to Texas for events.

'specifically two of those family members were absolutely historical'?

what does that mean?
I think @Moonstrawbs intended to write that they were absolutely “hysterical,” but autocorrect changed it.

The impact of this attempted assassination is really hitting me now, after the initial shock. It’s terrifying to witness an attempted murder, no matter who was the intended victim. I was driving home shortly after 6 PM EST and the car radio was saying there was an “incident” at a Trump rally and he was “whisked away.”

I’ve been watching the news since I got home and saw the actual story and am really having flashbacks of other assassinations and attempted assassinations in our history.

Just so dreadful and my heart hurts for these poor people who were just attendees and are dead/wounded.

It was certainly not a BB gun. A poor man died and several others were wounded. And President Trump almost was killed.
The quoted post was from near the start of this thread. We've all learned much more since then. Fast-moving situation means that posts don't always age well.

jmo

Last edited:
now

FBI takes over investigation of shooting at Trump campaign rally

The FBI is now leading the investigation into the shooting at Donald Trump’s rally in Butler, Pennsylvania.

From a statement released by the bureau:

The FBI has assumed the role of the lead federal law enforcement agency in the investigation of the incident involving former President Donald Trump that occurred earlier today in Butler, Pennsylvania.

Special agents of the FBI Pittsburgh Field Office responded immediately, to include crisis response team members and evidence response technicians.

We will continue to support this investigation with the full resources of the FBI, alongside our partners at the U.S. Secret Service and state and local law enforcement. Anyone with information that may assist with the investigation is asked to call our tip line at 1-800-CALL-FBI.

Wonder how soon we'll offically get a name?

The assessment found that there is concern the convention and pre- and post-celebration venues could be attractive targets for foreign terrorist organizations, homegrown violent extremists, domestic violent extremist groups, so-called lone-wolf bad actors and active shooters, a law enforcement source said.

As such, all law enforcement and security agencies will be enhancing their presence and resources during the event. After the shooting in Pennsylvania, there is planning currently underway to expand the perimeter at the RNC and create buffer zones around the events, according to multiple law enforcement officials.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security classifies the RNC as a SEAR -1 event, which is defined as "significant events with national and/or international importance that require extensive federal interagency support." Federal law enforcement bulletins such as the joint threat assessment are required for all SEAR-1 events

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back