US - Shots fired at Donald Trump rally in Pennsylvania as former president is seen with blood across his face, 13 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New law could boost security for Trump, Biden, and Kennedy Jr

A new law could give Donald Trump, Joe Biden and presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr enhanced Secret Service protection.

Congressmen Ritchie Torres (Democrat) and Mike Lawler (Republican) issued a statement saying: "Last night's attempted assassination of former President Trump was a dark moment in our nation's history.

"As reports continue to emerge, it's clear that more protection is needed for all major candidates for president.

"That's why we're planning on introducing bipartisan legislation providing President Joe Biden, former President Donald Trump, and presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr, with enhanced Secret Service protection.

"Anything less would be a disservice to our democracy."

I don't understand the reaction. The threat isn't any greater today than yesterday or the day before, IMO. It's not like there's a serial killer on the loose, targeting politicians. Anyone thinking of harming knows even more now how it would end for them.
All for the visuals.
And, imco, rarely more so than at present, when perception drives, [ read: "is" ], reality. o_O

Seconds before the gunman opened fire, he came face-to-face with a municipal police officer who wasn’t equipped to neutralize him, Butler County Sheriff Michael T. Slupe said in an interview Sunday with The Washington Post.

Slupe said an officer from Butler Township hoisted himself just high enough to peer onto the roof of the building adjacent to the rally, and the gunman turned around and aimed at him. Because the officer was gripping the roof’s edge, Slupe said, he didn’t have a gun in his hand and dropped back down to the ground.

“He lets go because he doesn’t want to get killed,” Slupe said.
That’s when the gunman began firing onto the fairgrounds, the sheriff said.
Slupe said the municipal officer had gone to examine the roof based on a law enforcement request to try to identify a suspicious individual seen near the rally. He said he did not know if that request came from a federal, state or local agency.

From Marty Griffin - KDKA journalist

Hero to the end!
We’re learning that the bystander who was killed in the assassination attempt on Trump was former Buffalo Twp Fire Chief Corey Comperatore. He dove to cover his family when the gunman opened fire

Seconds before the gunman opened fire, he came face-to-face with a municipal police officer who wasn’t equipped to neutralize him, Butler County Sheriff Michael T. Slupe said in an interview Sunday with The Washington Post.

Slupe said an officer from Butler Township hoisted himself just high enough to peer onto the roof of the building adjacent to the rally, and the gunman turned around and aimed at him. Because the officer was gripping the roof’s edge, Slupe said, he didn’t have a gun in his hand and dropped back down to the ground.

“He lets go because he doesn’t want to get killed,” Slupe said.
That’s when the gunman began firing onto the fairgrounds, the sheriff said.
Slupe said the municipal officer had gone to examine the roof based on a law enforcement request to try to identify a suspicious individual seen near the rally. He said he did not know if that request came from a federal, state or local agency.

Whoa.

New law could boost security for Trump, Biden, and Kennedy Jr

A new law could give Donald Trump, Joe Biden and presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr enhanced Secret Service protection.

Congressmen Ritchie Torres (Democrat) and Mike Lawler (Republican) issued a statement saying: "Last night's attempted assassination of former President Trump was a dark moment in our nation's history.

"As reports continue to emerge, it's clear that more protection is needed for all major candidates for president.

"That's why we're planning on introducing bipartisan legislation providing President Joe Biden, former President Donald Trump, and presidential candidate Robert Kennedy Jr, with enhanced Secret Service protection.

"Anything less would be a disservice to our democracy."

Enhanced protection or not, I am not sure I would feel safe if relying on Secret Service protection at this point. I would assume there are and will be massive reviews of everything related to what they do, resulting in lots of turnover, etc. Not the most stable environment for premium protection. I would think turning to a different protection resource might be a better choice at least in the near-term.

Yesterday seemed like massive incompetence to me re: multiple security failures. Like Keysone Kops level. So Keystone Kops × more ("enhanced") = more Keystone Kops (massive incompetence multiplied). The Secret Service has shattered its own mythos and reputation by multiple obvious failures during multiple stages (planning, real time control and reaction, and evacuation).

Tl;dr: "Enhanced" protection may mean more incompetence, not better protection.

MOO only.

Last edited:
Yes. They were looking for him all around. They got those reports. The SS officer spotted him on the roof, but the killer shot before the SS officer.

As I said, it sounded like it all happened fast. I'm sure there was a lot of chatter and confusion, too. JMO
I missed this information. It appeared to me the officers on the roof with long guns had POLICE on their back. That would be the local LE or SWAT.

I, also didn't see where "they lost sight of the shooter". Who lost sight, who was responsible for keeping eyes on him ? I did read several articles where it was reported to the secret service, but no information that someone was keeping an eye on him.

Would you have a link..

9 min ago

Biden says he had "short but good" conversation with Trump and is grateful that he's OK

From CNN's Michael Williams

Speaking from the White House on Saturday, President Joe Biden confirmed he had a short conversation with former President Donald Trump following the attempt on his life Saturday.

“I’m sincerely grateful that he’s doing well and recovering,” Biden said.

The president added he had a “short but good” conversation with Trump.

7 min ago

Biden will address nation from Oval Office tonight

From CNN's Betsy Klein

President Joe Biden will deliver a rare address to the nation from the Oval Office on Sunday evening in the aftermath of the assassination attempt of former President Donald Trump.

“I’ll be speaking more about this tonight at greater length from the Oval Office,” Biden said in brief remarks from the Roosevelt Room on Sunday afternoon.

Biden last addressed the nation on October 20, 2023, following the Hamas’ October 7 attacks on Israel.

4 min ago
Biden orders an independent review of the security at Trump rally

From CNN's Michael Williams

President Joe Biden said he’s directed a review of the security at Saturday’s rally where the attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump took place.

“I’ve directed an independent review of the national security at yesterday’s rally to assess exactly what happened,” Biden said. “And we’ll share the results of that independent review with the American people as well.

Biden added that directed the head of the US Secret Service to review security measures ahead of this week’s Republican National Convention in Milwaukee. Biden added that he has sought to provide Trump with every Secret Service resource that the former president and his team had asked for.

“I’ve been consistent in my direction with the Secret Service to provide him with every resource, capability and protective measure necessary to ensure its continued safety,” Biden said.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agirlnamedbob
Back